Forums/Armchair-GM

This is what Avs fans see with all these Monahan nonsense trades

Created by: LafayetteAvsFan
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 25, 2024
Published: Jan. 25, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Asking for a 1st and prospect for a guy 5-6 years past his prime looks kind of silly doesn't it.
Trades
COL
  1. Reinbacher, David
  2. 2024 1st round pick (MTL)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$80,185,416$1,170,000$3,992,500$3,314,584
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,985,000$1,985,000 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD
RFA - 2
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 4
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 25 at 3:52 p.m.
Prime Primeau
Except he isn’t past his prime, he is the same age as Mackinnon…

And he is playing really good right now…

And he has a cheap contract…

And Reinbacher is better than Olofsson…
MountRoyal liked this.
Jan. 25 at 3:53 p.m.
It seems to be a trend.

Soon: “Avs offered MacKinnon for Monahan and Kent rejected it”
MeetYourMakar, TJTwolf and dgibb10 liked this.
Jan. 25 at 3:56 p.m.
I assume Monahan will get similar to Barbashev. That's my biggest comp for him.

Barby got a very late 1st round prospect from the year before.

So 1st round pick, or Ritchie or that defensive Russian guy they drafted or Olausson.

But it is an OR not an AND.

And that is also best case scenario in my mind for Montreal.
MountRoyal liked this.
Jan. 25 at 3:58 p.m.
Subbanator
Why do people act like rentals don't get 1st round picks? And why do fans of contenders seem to think their 1st round picks have high value?

Any player picked after #20 has like a 50% shot at being an NHL player, it's why teams give those picks up to make a run. The math is that the current player your getting is worth more than the player that may never make it
Taz liked this.
Jan. 25 at 4:01 p.m.
Quoting: TMLBRIAN

So 1st round pick, or Ritchie or that defensive Russian guy they drafted or Olausson.

I can’t imagine Ritchie is in play. He’s one of the best players in the OHL right now and in a prospect pool bereft of any forward talent.

Guly and Behrens are probably on the table for the right trade
TMLBRIAN, MeetYourMakar, TJTwolf and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 25 at 4:09 p.m.
Quoting: Subbanator7667
Why do people act like rentals don't get 1st round picks? And why do fans of contenders seem to think their 1st round picks have high value?

Any player picked after #20 has like a 50% shot at being an NHL player, it's why teams give those picks up to make a run. The math is that the current player your getting is worth more than the player that may never make it

Monahan isn’t very good anymore though. Hes playing 18 min a night has 16 even strength points and would not sniff pp1 on our team. RyJo has played 13:50 a night not much pp time at all and has produced 11 even strength points. Ryjo to monahan is as lateral a move that we can get
MeetYourMakar, TJTwolf, NMAvsFan and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 25 at 4:13 p.m.
Johansen's salary is twice as high as Monahan's salary. Advantage Monahan.
Monahan is 29yo and has 0.66ppg, Johansen is two years older and has 0.38ppg. Advantage Monahan.
Habs's first will be top 10 while avs's first will be a late one. Reinbacher is a way better prospect than any avs prospect.
This trade is not comparable to any sensed Monahan trade proposal.

GMs do overpay at TDLs, there are many many many exemples over the last few years. (Jeannot, Hagel, Copp, Chiarot)
The players's value are especially higher when they hit low on salary cap.

A healthy Monahan that can drive a 2nd line, PP threat, strong on faceoff, low salary will bring something in the range of a late first or 2nd + prospect.
Jan. 25 at 4:14 p.m.
I post sometimes
Quoting: GuyGuyGuy

AND COL's 2024 first round pick is not 5OVR,
Jan. 25 at 4:17 p.m.

2nd round pick.

Niederreiter, Eller, Granlund got ‘em last year.

I think that is probably where we see him go.

(I also wouldn’t be surprised if they extended him)
Jan. 25 at 4:25 p.m.
Quoting: Altar7358
Monahan isn’t very good anymore though. Hes playing 18 min a night has 16 even strength points and would not sniff pp1 on our team. RyJo has played 13:50 a night not much pp time at all and has produced 11 even strength points. Ryjo to monahan is as lateral a move that we can get

I’d argue Monahan>Johansen considering production and contract. But when the question is 1st++ vs just keeping RyJo… I’m gonna take RyJo lol
Jan. 25 at 4:26 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
2nd round pick.

Niederreiter, Eller, Granlund got ‘em last year.

I think that is probably where we see him go.

(I also wouldn’t be surprised if they extended him)

2nd round pick is definitely possible. But he is better than Eller and Granlund. Niderreiter doesn't play C. His cap hit makes him easily moveable also.

There are going to be very few higher end C options at the deadline. So that could push Monahans value up into the 1st round pick area. But time will tell how it plays out. 2nd at minimum. Low 1st at max.
ricochetii liked this.
Jan. 25 at 4:33 p.m.
2nd round pick is definitely possible. But he is better than Eller and Granlund. Niderreiter doesn't play C. His cap hit makes him easily moveable also.

There are going to be very few higher end C options at the deadline. So that could push Monahans value up into the 1st round pick area. But time will tell how it plays out. 2nd at minimum. Low 1st at max.

Belongs in same tier as Granlund. Health risks + lower AAV cancel each other out. With you on Eller, who adds intangibles that don’t show up on scoresheet, but is certainly behind other two.
TMLBRIAN liked this.
Jan. 25 at 4:38 p.m.
I wouldn't read too much into how those Avs fans see it cause those are the same ones who said Lehkonen is an overpaid 3rd liner not worth more than a 3rd and now wouldn't trade him for less than 2 1sts or that Drouin was worth a league min contract and now want him resigned at 5 mil
Jan. 25 at 4:39 p.m.
Quoting: GuyGuyGuy

Except you're wrong. Monahan is a year older. Past his prime in his performances. He isn't playing particularly well (or at least not to the standards needed to be a genuine 2C for the Avs), and it's Olausson not Olofsson. I'll give you that Reinbacher may be better and SM has a cheap contract so you did at least manage to get 1 and a half points out of 5 correct.
Jan. 25 at 4:44 p.m.
Quoting: Campabee
I wouldn't read too much into how those Avs fans see it cause those are the same ones who said Lehkonen is an overpaid 3rd liner not worth more than a 3rd and now wouldn't trade him for less than 2 1sts or that Drouin was worth a league min contract and now want him resigned at 5 mil

For all you Habs fans keep carping on about that utter irrelevance I can't remember ANY Avs fans saying Lehky was an overpaid 3rd liner or that he wouldn't be worth more than a 3rd. Most (including me) were surprised and a little aggrieved at the price paid but were pleasantly surprised by his performances, huge difference between that and your exaggerations. There is also a huge difference between trading at an overpay for an underperforming Drouin with a 5 mil contract and signing him at close to league minimum and then re-upping if it pays off!
Jan. 25 at 4:44 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Hyperbole.
Johansen is not on par with Monahan in production, affordability, or term.
Montreal's 1st in 2024 is nowhere near on par with Colorado's projected late 1st in the same year.
Reinbacher's value is tiers higher than Olausson.

If this is what you are seeing in Monahan proposals, that says more about your valuations than those making the proposals.
SevenLeg liked this.
Jan. 25 at 4:53 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
COL fans complaining about Monahan mock trades.

Strange, where do COL fans usually send Girard when they trade him in mock trades, despite it not making any sense?
Jan. 25 at 5:14 p.m.
Representing the 505
Quoting: turtlemountain
I can’t imagine Ritchie is in play. He’s one of the best players in the OHL right now and in a prospect pool bereft of any forward talent.

Guly and Behrens are probably on the table for the right trade

Ritchie is definitely not in play unless the Avs are getting a youngish proven C on an extremely team-friendly contract and lots of term which is, like, a unicorn; who would that even be? I don't think they should trade Guly but, yes, Behrens should definitely be in play although he probably doesn't have a ton of value.
TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 25 at 5:20 p.m.
Quoting: SevenLeg

Strange, where do COL fans usually send Girard when they trade him in mock trades, despite it not making any sense?

From what I’ve seen, there are very few COL people on here that want Girard traded. Let alone traded to Montreal. Wanna comment a few links? This feels like a straw man.
Jan. 25 at 5:21 p.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
21 points in 31 playoff games
Unlike other options he does step up in the playoffs
Beyond that Monahan has played literally everywhere
MTL's coach due to injuries broke up Pearson-Monahan-Gallagher
That line as bizarre as it sounds was leading MTL the first 15 games (aka when we were winning)
After we broke it up Monahan has played LW,RW and Center.
He's played 1st , 2nd and 3rd line with virtually every player he's skated with playing better.

So if im a playoff team i see that and go " he produces and creates chemistry no matter who he's skating with "
I'd see that as a bonus.

IF MTL RS was can get him to COL under their Capfriendly cap remaining for COL at 1.2m on their COL Page
Or we could do that for any number of teams in the NHL looking for a Center right now
NJD after losing McLeod could use a boost as well ,SEA is the type of team Monahan who thrive in and my personal favorite is EDM

I think going back to Alberta to his long time rival to put them over to win a cup would be too ****ing Perfect.
He could come back to MTL next year and sign a contract with Term or stay in EDM on a 1 year league minimum or double that to get a crack at another Cup
But i truly feel if MTL and EDM made a deal for Monahan and Kovacevic that they'd be over for a playoff run.
They'd be under cap as long as MTL RS 50% on Monahan

1st and Lavoie (who requires Waivers and we coulda claimed anyways)
or a 2nd and Bourgault
or a 5th and Holloway

Personally i dont care witch option persay
But i do like Holloway but a Lavoie puts a Playoff bound Laval over
TBH i think Bourgault who might be the best is the one i want the least as he requires more development then the other 2
But really its all about the value being on par with that

COL would be a good fit for Monahan but it comes down to they have nothing we want TBH
EDM even in their Waiver gambles like Lavoie there's still value but COL's tapped its depth pool right out, its dry
Jan. 25 at 5:22 p.m.
Quoting: Campabee

Who wants Drouin signed at $5M???!

The book on Drouin was that he was overpaid in Montreal and therefore not worth much. He signed for league minimum in Colorado. I’d re-sign him for like… $2M?

I haven’t seen ANYONE calling for a pay raise to $5M. What are you talking about? Can you drop a few links?
TJTwolf and NMAvsFan liked this.
Jan. 25 at 5:27 p.m.
Subbanator
Quoting: Altar7358

Not very good as he produces on one of the worst teams in the league and is one of the best faceoff guys in the league. There's also a second power play unit on every team that contenders do like to be actually useful, which he also helps with. Monahan has better stats than Lindholm this year but people keep telling me how he isn't worth aate first get Lindholm is gonna get multiple.

Add the fact that not a single center better than him makes as little money as he does and it makes sense why there would be multiple teams interested in him.
Jan. 25 at 5:28 p.m.
Quoting: SevenLeg

Funny that, couple of years ago it was all MTL fans trading G to MTL. Can't really recall seeing ANY Avs fans trading him to MTL, at least in the past couple of seasons, and if it does happen it's usually a Habs fan doing a trade from 'the Avs PoV'
turtlemountain and NMAvsFan liked this.
Jan. 25 at 5:49 p.m.
If that what you see then your clearly don’t understand how thing work in the Nhl. Avs are all in for the next 5 -7 years. Why would they want prospect and pick when all their Star players are in their prime. Adding rental players is how contending team work. They fill need and don’t mind giving up assets. If the Habs was in Colorado position and thought Ryjo was the missing piece they would pay the price.
Jan. 25 at 6:00 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: turtlemountain
From what I’ve seen, there are very few COL people on here that want Girard traded. Let alone traded to Montreal. Wanna comment a few links? This feels like a straw man.

Quoting: TJTwolf
Funny that, couple of years ago it was all MTL fans trading G to MTL. Can't really recall seeing ANY Avs fans trading him to MTL, at least in the past couple of seasons, and if it does happen it's usually a Habs fan doing a trade from 'the Avs PoV'

All you had to do was filter ACGM with COL as the team, and it's literally the first one

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4843185

A couple of pages after that :
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4770782
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4778157
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4765494
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4638665

All by Avalanche fans.

Now, since COL is competing and they're not sellers it calms down during the season. It's gonna be start again in the offseason when Toews' extension kicks in. Feel free to scroll back to last summer's ACGM for further examples.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll