Forums/Armchair-GM

Pajama boy returns with retention

Created by: CosmicC
Team: 2024-25 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 15, 2024
Published: May 15, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Toronto blows their trade load moving Marner to Chicago.
Chicago fits as a trade partner in that they are a heritage franchise in a great city with an amazing fanbase and an all world young sniper for Marner to set up. Hopefully that is enough for him to waive his NMC.
They fit as a trade partner for Marner in that they're not as worried about his playoff performance per cap % on this current deal. Once they're ready to contend again his next deal will be a smaller portion of the cap and in the mean time he and Bedard give the team and the fans a legit topline to watch.
The return for the Leafs is mainly draft capital and a big top 4 RHD on a reasonable deal.
The 1 year of retention on JT is doable for Chicago in that they have cap to burn in the short term and Robertson and Liljegren make sense as buy low additions on players whose stock could rise given more ice-time and special-teams opportunities.
2.5 mil retention x 7 years on Jones is a brutal pill for Chicago, but 9.5 for Jones throughout their window might be just as crippling.

The UFA adds for Leafs might be somewhat optimistic. Basically relying on Kane to pick them this time for his cheap ring chaser 1 year deal. Taney to give his old pal Tree a discount to come play for his hometown team along with Bert, Domi, Lindholm, Edmundson, Lybushkin and Stolarz to all sign too which is too many signings to really pull off. Maybe if they get Domi, Bert, Ed and Bush done before July there's a shot they have the time to land the rest.

I think the result is a very solid team. Great Center depth. Tavares, Holmberg and Jarnkrok can all shift to C if there's an injury. The PP that has been such a problem gets shuffled up with Kane, Jones and Lindholm.

I don't know if Seth Jones is really the best way to spend Marner's value but it's an interesting one to play out.
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$7,500,000
1$2,500,000
4$4,500,000
4$4,500,000
2$3,500,000
2$2,500,000
2$2,000,000
2$2,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Tavares, John
1$6,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Jones, Seth ($2,500,000 retained)
  2. 2024 1st round pick (TBL)
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (VAN)
  4. 2025 4th round pick (NYR)
  5. 2026 4th round pick (OTT)
CHI
  1. Marner, Mitchell
  2. Tavares, John
Additional Details:
Chicago receives RFA rights to Robertson and Liljegren.
Marner extends in Chicago.
Toronto receives Tavares back with 5 mil retention.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,500,000$87,291,667$0$0$208,333

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA
$13,250,000$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW
UFA
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$7,500,000$7,500,000
C, RW
UFA
$11,500,000$11,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
Tavares, John
$6,000,000$6,000,000
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C, RW
UFA
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 15 at 1:05 a.m.
Chicago would never give up assets for that...
newman23, FoxYou727, Hawksguy81 and 2 others liked this.
May 15 at 1:09 a.m.
Edited May 15 at 1:49 a.m.
Even if all parties were fine with this trade, I don't see CHI being okay with retaining 2M on Jones for 6 years. Edit: I just realized that you are saying that Tavares goes back. Why are they giving up a 1st? If you're saying Marner is Jones + a 1st, the 1st should get cancelled out since they are essentially paying to rent Tavares to play in Toronto. The trade would be blocked by the NHL for cap circumvention.

CHI is trying to be horrible for the next 2-years presumably (until they win the Lottery again), adding Marner would be counterintuitive (if they can do Jones 9M for Marner <11Mx7 extension then maybe). They aren't looking to be competitive until 2027-2028 season probably (5-year plan announced in 2022), so Marner is likely not interested in that.
FoxYou727, Hawksguy81 and Garak liked this.
May 15 at 1:10 a.m.
Quoting: GMBL
Even if all parties were fine with this trade, I don't see CHI being okay with retaining 2M on Jones for 6 years.

Not to mention all the picks a rebuilding team is giving up for no reason.
GMBL, FoxYou727, Hawksguy81 and 2 others liked this.
May 15 at 1:17 a.m.
Aside from the fact that this is just an illegal trade bc giving tavares back to the leafs is cap circumvention, Chicago declines.
GMBL, StutzlesNumber1Fan, FoxYou727 and 3 others liked this.
May 15 at 1:26 a.m.
Quoting: StutzlesNumber1Fan
Not to mention all the picks a rebuilding team is giving up for no reason.

It's worse than I thought, since I missed the description, just realized when seeing newman23's post.

It's basically Marner + Liljegren + Robertson + losing a retention spot for Jones + Tavares 6M + 1st+ 2nd + two 4ths.
StutzlesNumber1Fan, FoxYou727, newman23 and 1 other person liked this.
May 15 at 1:27 a.m.
Quoting: GMBL
It's worse than I thought, since I missed the description, just realized when seeing newman23's post.

It's basically Marner + Liljegren + Robertson + losing a retention spot for Jones + Tavares 6M + 1st+ 2nd + two 4ths.

Yeah besides being illegal its just insanely bad for Chicago haha
GMBL, Garak and PaulKorea liked this.
May 15 at 1:32 a.m.
Tavares isn't waiving, he didn't when he was on Long Island he isn't in Toronto when his wife is from there AND he just had a kid
StutzlesNumber1Fan and Garak liked this.
May 15 at 1:32 a.m.
Yea, just checked that too. You're right as far as I can tell. Can't buy retention for yourself. Oh well.

As far as the folks saying Chicago never retains.. yea its tough. I mention that in the description. Chicago is kind of screwed either way though. If they keep him he's the biggest albatross contract in the league. If they deal him with retention yea, it compromises your capsheet through your window but so does his presence - atleast in this scenario you get a topline winger in his prime. *shrug*

If strip away the Tavares retention stuff and the RFA rights and just think about what Chicago could get for Jones with 2 mil retained vs what Toronto will be offered for 1 year of Marner I think the latter package is bigger, which is why I added the picks. Maybe too many but.. Chicago is getting a prime aged star, 2 young players and out from under the worst contract in the league.

I acknowledge its all scuffed because the JT part is illegal. I was just trying to brainstorm landing spots for Marner and thought I'd try and explore how Chicago's capspace could make them a fit. I'll try some other teams later.
StutzlesNumber1Fan liked this.
May 15 at 1:43 a.m.
There's rules that prevent this
PaulKorea liked this.
May 15 at 1:50 a.m.
Why does Marner catch so much flack for playoff production when Matthews scores at the same rate in the playoffs?
StutzlesNumber1Fan and Garak liked this.
May 15 at 1:51 a.m.
Yup.

The thought was to try and use surplus trade value in a deal to a team that has short term cap to burn to avoid having the situation that is infront of the Leafs now. Your captain is way overpaid for 1 year but then would probably ride out the twilight of his career on sweetheart deals.. so endure the 1 year to preserve the warm and fuzzy narrative or play hardball with Pajama boy and force him out asap to maximize every year.. it's tough. If you could buy retention for JT that'd cute way to maximize this year and keep him around but it's not possible so.
May 15 at 2:15 a.m.
Quoting: CosmicC
Yea, just checked that too. You're right as far as I can tell. Can't buy retention for yourself. Oh well.

As far as the folks saying Chicago never retains.. yea its tough. I mention that in the description. Chicago is kind of screwed either way though. If they keep him he's the biggest albatross contract in the league. If they deal him with retention yea, it compromises your capsheet through your window but so does his presence - atleast in this scenario you get a topline winger in his prime. *shrug*

If strip away the Tavares retention stuff and the RFA rights and just think about what Chicago could get for Jones with 2 mil retained vs what Toronto will be offered for 1 year of Marner I think the latter package is bigger, which is why I added the picks. Maybe too many but.. Chicago is getting a prime aged star, 2 young players and out from under the worst contract in the league.

I acknowledge its all scuffed because the JT part is illegal. I was just trying to brainstorm landing spots for Marner and thought I'd try and explore how Chicago's capspace could make them a fit. I'll try some other teams later.

They aren't really getting out of his contract if they are retaining 2.5M, Jones at 7M might be a bit pricey but it's more reasonable.

Even if the JT stuff was legal, you basically had them retain on him for free, it would cost more for them to send him back than being a 3rd team retaining in a TDL deal. So, you probably should have cancelled the 1st RD pick at the very least to make it Jones (2.5M retention) + 2nd + two 4ths + retention on Tavares for Marner+ the two RFAs. Even then, if re-signing Marner costs north of 11M, they'll likely end up in a Jones situation by the time they are competitive, so not unless Jones was moved without retention, it wouldn't be worth it.
Hawksguy81 and Garak liked this.
May 15 at 2:23 a.m.
Quoting: AC14
Why does Marner catch so much flack for playoff production when Matthews scores at the same rate in the playoffs?

Marner is almost a ppg player in the playoffs lol. He really isnt as bad as ppl make it out to be.
Hawksguy81, Garak and AC14 liked this.
May 15 at 2:30 a.m.

It's because of the media exposing how he had like little to no production in like games 5 to 7. Prior to last year, there was this goalless streak that he had. It's a circus show really, because typically the Leafs are playing in close low-scoring games at that point. It's a given that if you are going out in the 1st RD even if you go to 7, your stars aren't going to have much production. Some will say they went out because there wasn't enough scoring, and sure that's true. But they are also typically putting blame on the D, goalie (especially when they had Andersen-yes, he did let up untimely softies, but he was a legit starter), the coach, and the GM, then the scapegoat gets the rest of the blame. There's lots of blame to go around.
StutzlesNumber1Fan liked this.
May 15 at 9:26 a.m.
Edited May 15 at 12:43 p.m.

Jones is a good 1RD with a full NMC. CHI has no reason to move him unless, first, he asks for a trade and they are receiving good value in return. We have two years until Bedard's next contract, and even then his cap hit won't be a problem. At that point there will be 4 years left on Jones deal, and CHI will still be years away from second and third contracts for everyone else, and the cap is going up around $10M just in the next two years and even more so beyond that. They have clearly stated that they aren't going to load up at any point and want this rebuild to happen organically. So, essentially, there is no reason that his cap hit should be a problem at any point during the remainder of his contract. Not to mention, he is still playing very well and shows no signs of slowing down. He will probably only look better as the team improves and would almost certainly look better on a cup contender. All this is to say that, Jones contract is the opposite of an albatross.
klassic, newman23 and PaulKorea liked this.
May 15 at 9:36 a.m.

OMG how many times does this have to be explained. A top line RD is harder to find than a top line scoring winger. Jones is a top line RD. I think you would be hard pressed to say he is not in the top 30 of RD. Yes the contract is larger than production, but he has been better lately. And the Hawks still need to reach the cap floor. Plus the cap is going up an so are salaries for D. Jones plays a position where there are few prospects in the system. Maybe in 3, 4, 5 years they think about trading Jones with retention. But retaining on Jones and trading him in this dumpster fire of a deal is cutting of your nose to spite your face.

It makes ZERO sense for the Hawks.
Garak and PaulKorea liked this.
May 15 at 12:25 p.m.

Matthews does catch flack for his lack of playoff production, Marner gets more due to the fact that his numbers in games 5-7 are abysmal and he's never really taken over a playoff game since 2019, Matthews has. Not enough for his salary but more than Marner has
May 15 at 12:45 p.m.
Quoting: klassic
OMG how many times does this have to be explained. A top line RD is harder to find than a top line scoring winger. Jones is a top line RD. I think you would be hard pressed to say he is not in the top 30 of RD. Yes the contract is larger than production, but he has been better lately. And the Hawks still need to reach the cap floor. Plus the cap is going up an so are salaries for D. Jones plays a position where there are few prospects in the system. Maybe in 3, 4, 5 years they think about trading Jones with retention. But retaining on Jones and trading him in this dumpster fire of a deal is cutting of your nose to spite your face.

It makes ZERO sense for the Hawks.

Right? I have half a mind to just create a text document full of talking points so I can just copy and paste them. I bears repeating, but it is definitely getting old.
newman23 and PaulKorea liked this.
May 15 at 1:58 p.m.
Quoting: Garak
Right? I have half a mind to just create a text document full of talking points so I can just copy and paste them. I bears repeating, but it is definitely getting old.

100%. Basically an outline of why we are not trading for bum X, Y, or Z. Plus all the other non-sense.
Garak and PaulKorea liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll