$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$1,300,000$1,300,000
RD
RFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 6 at 5:20 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Oh no. The veteran leadership trade
ChiHawk and Hawksguy81 liked this.
May 6 at 5:22 p.m.
Leafs Fan / 20
It makes sense. There are no other centers in Chicago's system that will mentor Bedard, plus they have the cap space to do so. Chicago is still a big market team which may entice Tavares to resign. It makes sense...
May 6 at 5:29 p.m.
Bcarlo25
more for pesce, more for stamkos, and i think it will cost draft capital to move tavares.
May 6 at 5:34 p.m.
Rip
Moving Marner for a goalie is dumb. Woll is the guy and they have some really good prospects in net as well.
May 6 at 5:36 p.m.
Leafs Fan / 20
Quoting: Bcarlo25
more for pesce, more for stamkos, and i think it will cost draft capital to move tavares.

1) Pesce is coming off of a career-low year and is still being given a 1M raise plus term so the contract is fair
2) Stamkos will be 35 this off-season and he's not going to get a raise; maybe a slight one if any like 8.5M or 9M which the Leafs can still afford. Plus it is his home town which could make a tiny difference
3) Tavares is still a capable player and only has 1 year left on his deal. Trading him to Chicago will gain assets not lose them. He also provides Chicago with something they desperately need in a proven veteran leader. They also have more than enough cap space which wouldn't impact them whatsoever so no need to add a pick to move him. If it was a team struggling with the cap i would 100% agree with you
May 6 at 5:37 p.m.
Quoting: Michaeli13
It makes sense. There are no other centers in Chicago's system that will mentor Bedard, plus they have the cap space to do so. Chicago is still a big market team which may entice Tavares to resign. It makes sense...

LMAO, nobody is giving up anything for JT at $11M...not happening. Nobody is going to bail the Leafs out of cap problems for free either.

You seem to be one of these fans who think the Leafs will get value because the acquiring team "can" sign him longer term...that's not how it works. The Leafs can trade JT for only what they own of him and that's 1 year and $11M which means he's not worth anything.
Hawksguy81 and AndrewPawlack liked this.
May 6 at 5:38 p.m.
Hawks would probably be interested in Tavares, but they likely arent giving up that much for him. And being that not many other teams can take on his cap, I think if the Leafs want to dance, they'd have to lower the asking price.
Hawksguy81 liked this.
May 6 at 5:39 p.m.
Leafs Fan / 20
Quoting: RipNasty
Moving Marner for a goalie is dumb. Woll is the guy and they have some really good prospects in net as well.

You would ideally want a guy to lead Woll into the starting job rather than throwing him into the net. He's really good but he's not ready to handle 50-55 games a season as a full-time starter. Plus we have seen lows in Woll's play during the regular season which can impact the leafs ability to even make the playoffs. On top of that, the free-agent goalie pool isn't too strong so if Woll were to get hurt it wouldn't be a good look for the team. The prospects they have are also nowhere near ready. It takes time for goalies to develop and it is much better to wait on them then to throw them to the wolves and hope for the best... it only hurts them
May 6 at 5:40 p.m.
Leafs Fan / 20
Quoting: BrianCampbell
Hawks would probably be interested in Tavares, but they likely arent giving up that much for him. And being that not many other teams can take on his cap, I think if the Leafs want to dance, they'd have to lower the asking price.

I think that's a fair statement, I think that they would at least draw a 2nd and possibly another pick. People are acting like he's a garbage player on a long ass deal which is not the case
May 6 at 5:41 p.m.
mostly harmless
Still no need or want for Timmins on the Jackets.
benjgc liked this.
May 6 at 5:44 p.m.
Leafs Fan / 20
Quoting: ChiHawk
LMAO, nobody is giving up anything for JT at $11M...not happening. Nobody is going to bail the Leafs out of cap problems for free either.

You seem to be one of these fans who think the Leafs will get value because the acquiring team "can" sign him longer term...that's not how it works. The Leafs can trade JT for only what they own of him and that's 1 year and $11M which means he's not worth anything.

That's where you are wrong. People would 100% give up assets for JT. Now the price I set may be a tad high but he would draw in at least a 2nd to a team that is doing well with the cap. He's only got 1 year left and he provides a significant amount of experience to a team that desperately needs a star veteran for their youth.

It's not about "bailing us out" the Leafs could easily keep him and his contract and be perfectly fine. While I do believe that Chicago could resign him due to their good market and upcoming team it would be unfair to assume a trade with the assumption that he resigns in free agency or before. The trade is based on his value and what he brings...
May 6 at 5:45 p.m.
Leafs Fan / 20
Quoting: Viqsi
Still no need or want for Timmins on the Jackets.

Fair, but it was more so him just being flipped to a team with a decently early 5th round pick than it was to be a fit with the BlueJackets if that makes sense
May 6 at 5:48 p.m.

So it "makes sense" for a rebuilding Hawks team to give up two 2nd picks for an $11m one year rental? That's the easiest of passes for the Hawks. Can sign a free agent "mentor" for Bedard if need be for less $ and keep those two picks.
May 6 at 5:51 p.m.
mostly harmless
Fair, but it was more so him just being flipped to a team with a decently early 5th round pick than it was to be a fit with the BlueJackets if that makes sense

Understandable. In those cases, tho, it's usually customary to put in the trade notes that the deal is to "anyone who will take him" or similar.
benjgc liked this.
May 6 at 5:52 p.m.
Leafs Fan / 20
Quoting: Hawksguy81
So it "makes sense" for a rebuilding Hawks team to give up two 2nd picks for an $11m one year rental? That's the easiest of passes for the Hawks. Can sign a free agent "mentor" for Bedard if need be for less $ and keep those two picks.

Name one mentor that you're gonna sign that is as valuable as Tavares... I'll wait. The price may be slightly too high, I'll admit that. He draws in at least a 2nd round and a 4th-6th and if you say no to that you're insane and need to re-evaluate your hockey knowledge

The money is not a factor in this situation... you have so much cap space and its a 1 year deal. Someone needs to teach him the ropes and tbh i don't see anyone better (that is acquirable) to do so than Tavares
May 6 at 5:58 p.m.
Rip
You would ideally want a guy to lead Woll into the starting job rather than throwing him into the net. He's really good but he's not ready to handle 50-55 games a season as a full-time starter. Plus we have seen lows in Woll's play during the regular season which can impact the leafs ability to even make the playoffs. On top of that, the free-agent goalie pool isn't too strong so if Woll were to get hurt it wouldn't be a good look for the team. The prospects they have are also nowhere near ready. It takes time for goalies to develop and it is much better to wait on them then to throw them to the wolves and hope for the best... it only hurts them

So long as Woll remains healthy, he gets 50 starts next year. He's absolutely a good starter. Without question. He has proved it with his insane performance in games 5 and 6. You need a safety net for sure, but I think you can find 20-30 quality starts without wasting all these assets for a guy who's been pedestrian for the past couple of years.
May 6 at 6:03 p.m.
Leafs Fan / 20
So long as Woll remains healthy, he gets 50 starts next year. He's absolutely a good starter. Without question. He has proved it with his insane performance in games 5 and 6. You need a safety net for sure, but I think you can find 20-30 quality starts without wasting all these assets for a guy who's been pedestrian for the past couple of years.

Where I find the problem lies is that when Samsonov was healthy again in the 2nd half of the season we saw a version of Woll that was undeniably horrible. That may happen again so it is much better to get a guy like Saros to lead him into the Starter role because Woll still is only 25 so tons of time to grow. It's an accustomed thing for goalies to be introduced to the net by another goalie rather than just throwing him in. It's also nice to have a guy like Saros who has proven he can carry a load, it would be interesting to see him get some games off for Woll to play so that they both can stay relatively healthy. This also brings good competition in the net rather than him being the sole starter and having a question mark goalie as a backup that would need to take the ranks.
May 6 at 6:13 p.m.
Name one mentor that you're gonna sign that is as valuable as Tavares... I'll wait. The price may be slightly too high, I'll admit that. He draws in at least a 2nd round and a 4th-6th and if you say no to that you're insane and need to re-evaluate your hockey knowledge

The money is not a factor in this situation... you have so much cap space and its a 1 year deal. Someone needs to teach him the ropes and tbh i don't see anyone better (that is acquirable) to do so than Tavares

Well right back at 'ya regarding your hockey knowledge. I'm not debating JT's abilities or what his value might or might not be. If someone wants to give the Leafs a 2nd +, the Leafs should take that offer.

What I'm saying is it won't be the Hawks. They are looking to improve their roster. But they aren't going to be buyers. They aren't spending valuable draft assets for a one year rental that gives another team $11m in cap space. The Hawks have Taylor Hall and Nick Foligno, who did a great job mentoring Bedard this past season. And they have Yanic Perrault, a highly regarded developmental coach who Bedard has been very complimentary of. Your assumption that the Hawks even want a veteran C to mentor Bedard is based on nothing but your personal feeling that Taveras is this "must have" player for the Hawks.

How about a guy like Sean Monahan to mentor Bedard? All he costs is $.

Bottom line is, if the price on Tavares is a 2nd +, the Hawks won't be in on him.
May 6 at 6:23 p.m.
Rip
Where I find the problem lies is that when Samsonov was healthy again in the 2nd half of the season we saw a version of Woll that was undeniably horrible. That may happen again so it is much better to get a guy like Saros to lead him into the Starter role because Woll still is only 25 so tons of time to grow. It's an accustomed thing for goalies to be introduced to the net by another goalie rather than just throwing him in. It's also nice to have a guy like Saros who has proven he can carry a load, it would be interesting to see him get some games off for Woll to play so that they both can stay relatively healthy. This also brings good competition in the net rather than him being the sole starter and having a question mark goalie as a backup that would need to take the ranks.

It is absolutely deniable it's flat out false. Valincourt was on Real Kyper and Bourne last week talking about goalies and stuff. He runs a company that tracks goalies in ways no one else is right now and is basically the authority on goalie performance from an analytical standpoint.

By every measure, Woll was better than Samsonov this season. Down the stretch as well where Woll did have a couple of bad games but was hung out to dry a lot. He also got way harder assignments than Samsonov did. Samsonov got wins but the team scored a bunch in front of him.

Woll would have been the 1 all season had he not sprained his ankle. He needs to stay healthy but he's absolutely a #1. He's a legit playoff guy as well. He doesn't allow bad goals. He's number 1 next year.
May 6 at 6:48 p.m.
Leafs Fan / 20
Well right back at 'ya regarding your hockey knowledge. I'm not debating JT's abilities or what his value might or might not be. If someone wants to give the Leafs a 2nd +, the Leafs should take that offer.

What I'm saying is it won't be the Hawks. They are looking to improve their roster. But they aren't going to be buyers. They aren't spending valuable draft assets for a one year rental that gives another team $11m in cap space. The Hawks have Taylor Hall and Nick Foligno, who did a great job mentoring Bedard this past season. And they have Yanic Perrault, a highly regarded developmental coach who Bedard has been very complimentary of. Your assumption that the Hawks even want a veteran C to mentor Bedard is based on nothing but your personal feeling that Taveras is this "must have" player for the Hawks.

How about a guy like Sean Monahan to mentor Bedard? All he costs is $.

Bottom line is, if the price on Tavares is a 2nd +, the Hawks won't be in on him.

Hall and Foligno aren't going to teach him the defensive responsibilities that Tavares can especially with them not being centers (Foligno is not always a center). I disagree, I think it's well worth Chicago's while to give up a 2nd round pick and a later-on pick that usually never hits anyway for a guy like JT. The Hawks have 7 picks in the first 3 rounds of this draft and about that many for next season too. They can easily afford to give one up to benefit Bedard's growth since he's going to be the foundation of this team. Also, Tavares does better on their team, and giving up a 2nd does not turn them into buyers. Teams that are rebuilding can acquire players too... that's allowed lol.

Bedard is a franchise player on a team full of essentially nobodies. I'm not doubting the ability of the development coach or Hall/Foligno but you have to agree that Tavares is much more capable of mentoring and developing him than those 2 guys.

Monahan is honestly a decent name for you to throw out but I'd say that he has relatively similar mentorship skills as Hall/Foligno. Tavares took Matthews under his wing when he was a rookie and helped him alongside Thornton. Also while Chicago may try to go for Monahan I don't know if he would bite at a Chicago contract but I guess we will have to wait and see.

PS: if you think Monahan doesn't want near the 8-9 million dollar mark then you'd be wrong. I stick by my vision of Tavares being the mentor for this franchise player as he was for Matthews. If you don't see that Tavares is an amazing fit for Chicago then you're the one that is being blinded by your assumptions.
May 6 at 7:02 p.m.
Leafs Fan / 20
It is absolutely deniable it's flat out false. Valincourt was on Real Kyper and Bourne last week talking about goalies and stuff. He runs a company that tracks goalies in ways no one else is right now and is basically the authority on goalie performance from an analytical standpoint.

By every measure, Woll was better than Samsonov this season. Down the stretch as well where Woll did have a couple of bad games but was hung out to dry a lot. He also got way harder assignments than Samsonov did. Samsonov got wins but the team scored a bunch in front of him.

Woll would have been the 1 all season had he not sprained his ankle. He needs to stay healthy but he's absolutely a #1. He's a legit playoff guy as well. He doesn't allow bad goals. He's number 1 next year.

He was not better down the stretch by any means LMAO that's an egregious take.

Samsonov's last 10 regular season games: 6W-2L-2OTL with a 0.896

Woll's last 10 regular season games: 4W-6L with a 0.890 save %

I'm not saying that Samsonov was the better goalie the entire year, that would be stupid. Clearly, Woll was better for a good period of the year but my worry is that he goes back to those poor stats and we are left with the 2-3M goalie that we signed as a meh backup to become the starting goalie because he couldn't cut it... It's about covering their ass and having Saros would be significantly better for a number of reasons that I've already listed in previous responses. Woll is a good goalie and a great goalie at times, we've seen him be an amazing playoff goalie and I'm not worried about that. The worry is not making playoffs or having another injury. Saros is the better goalie between the 2 and I don't think it's close. Having him would significantly make the leafs better and it would help Woll develop and give him a goalie that would give him an actual competition for the starting job
May 6 at 7:05 p.m.
Hall and Foligno aren't going to teach him the defensive responsibilities that Tavares can especially with them not being centers (Foligno is not always a center). I disagree, I think it's well worth Chicago's while to give up a 2nd round pick and a later-on pick that usually never hits anyway for a guy like JT. The Hawks have 7 picks in the first 3 rounds of this draft and about that many for next season too. They can easily afford to give one up to benefit Bedard's growth since he's going to be the foundation of this team. Also, Tavares does better on their team, and giving up a 2nd does not turn them into buyers. Teams that are rebuilding can acquire players too... that's allowed lol.

Bedard is a franchise player on a team full of essentially nobodies. I'm not doubting the ability of the development coach or Hall/Foligno but you have to agree that Tavares is much more capable of mentoring and developing him than those 2 guys.

Monahan is honestly a decent name for you to throw out but I'd say that he has relatively similar mentorship skills as Hall/Foligno. Tavares took Matthews under his wing when he was a rookie and helped him alongside Thornton. Also while Chicago may try to go for Monahan I don't know if he would bite at a Chicago contract but I guess we will have to wait and see.

PS: if you think Monahan doesn't want near the 8-9 million dollar mark then you'd be wrong. I stick by my vision of Tavares being the mentor for this franchise player as he was for Matthews. If you don't see that Tavares is an amazing fit for Chicago then you're the one that is being blinded by your assumptions.

Hawks aren't going to pay anything for JT. Best it gets for the Leafs: if Tavares will waive, Leafs pay him his $7m signing bonus on 7/1. Then on 7/2 trade him to the Hawks for future considerations. Hawks would probably take on the cap hit if the Leafs are actually paying most of JT's salary. If that deal doesn't work for you and Brad, the discussion is over.
ChiHawk liked this.
May 6 at 7:11 p.m.
Leafs Fan / 20
Hawks aren't going to pay anything for JT. Best it gets for the Leafs: if Tavares will waive, Leafs pay him his $7m signing bonus on 7/1. Then on 7/2 trade him to the Hawks for future considerations. Hawks would probably take on the cap hit if the Leafs are actually paying most of JT's salary. If that deal doesn't work for you and Brad, the discussion is over.

First off, you're not the Hawks LOL. Secondly, it's not a big price to pay... you're making such a big deal about this, it's what Tavares is worth I don't see how the Blackhawks don't trade one of their 5 2nd round picks that they have in the next 2 seasons.

Future considerations? You're hilarious but this isn't April 1st. He gets picks in return from anyone he is traded to. You're making it seem like he's on an 8-year deal with this contract when he only has the 1 year left
May 6 at 8:22 p.m.
That's where you are wrong. People would 100% give up assets for JT. Now the price I set may be a tad high but he would draw in at least a 2nd to a team that is doing well with the cap. He's only got 1 year left and he provides a significant amount of experience to a team that desperately needs a star veteran for their youth.

It's not about "bailing us out" the Leafs could easily keep him and his contract and be perfectly fine. While I do believe that Chicago could resign him due to their good market and upcoming team it would be unfair to assume a trade with the assumption that he resigns in free agency or before. The trade is based on his value and what he brings...

No, that's where YOU are wrong. JT is not worth $11m.....that's plain and simple full stop period. 25 goals and 65 points does not justify a $11M cap hit, nor do many teams have $11M to spend against the cap. Nobody is giving the Leafs a 2nd round pick for 65 points at a $11M cap hit. Nobody is paying for that
May 6 at 8:27 p.m.
Leafs Fan / 20
Quoting: ChiHawk
No, that's where YOU are wrong. JT is not worth $11m.....that's plain and simple full stop period. 25 goals and 65 points does not justify a $11M cap hit, nor do many teams have $11M to spend against the cap. Nobody is giving the Leafs a 2nd round pick for 65 points at a $11M cap hit. Nobody is paying for that

Nobody said that he is worth 11M dude. He had a down year and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a jump in points next season at all. He gets a 2nd minimum in return based solely on the impact and presence that he brings to teams with decent numbers too (for his contract it's definitely below what he should be putting up, but the points he does get plus his impact/presence gives you at least a 2nd round pick)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll