Initial Creation Date: May 25, 2016
Published: May 25, 2016
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Summary

TRADES
----------------------------
TOR <-> CHI
- For CHI: Bickell off the books entirely for CHI, gives them a solid, cheap vet D man for their bottom pairing, a potential cheap 5-7 D and a C/W who can fill Shaw's spot, play up and down the lineup at a smaller cost to sign.
- For TOR:
They acquire a young NHL-ready two-way RHD in Pokka , which is a position of weakness for them. They also receive the rights to Shaw who they can afford to pay and who can fill out their C-depth, play wing if needed and brings some edge and experience to their young lineup.
Bickell will be given an opportunity to make the team, but ultimately he ends up in the AHL.
*NOTE* I admit this one likely needs more assets going to CHI from the Leafs, but editing trades is a pain on here.

TOR <-> CBJ
- For CLB: They get a spot-gap solution to their horrible Center depth in Bozak. He plays 1C/2C in their lineup and all situations. CLB need to start winning and quickly or heads will roll and the fan base will erode.
- For TOR: They get a 25 y/o top 4 RHD who they can pair with Reilly, at least short term. Contract cap hit is essentially a wash with Bozak's but over a longer term. Possible he is lost in an expansion draft for nothing for CLB, but worth the risk for TOR

TOR <-> ARZ
- For ARZ: They get a top 9 forward at only 2M cap hit. Some experience to help their young lineup and a great dressing room guy.
- For TOR: They remove 2M from their cap, with the retention ending at the end of the season. Milan hopefully waives his NTC after realizing he cannot make the lineup in TOR and with the lure of playing a NHL season with his brother. Vitale doesn't provide TOR much, but is a cheap experienced F with high energy with only 1 year left. Essentially saving Arizona another 1.3M in real money.

TOR <-> ANA
- For ANA: They get a late 1st round pick and get Stoner off their books/cap in exchange for a goalie they cannot retain (due to upcoming expansion). Bernier comes back as a 1-year backup stop-gap behind Gibson. While Laich moves for money reasons. TOR could retain half on either Bernier or Laich if needed or a sweetener could be added by way of a B-level prospect (Leipzic, Harrington, Loov, etc.)
For TOR: A dependable, proven starting goaltender to help them transition into a contender. May not be a long term solution but a better option than anything they have in their system. Can draft/develop an heir apparent over the span of his contract.

SIGNINGS
----------------------------
(UFA) Stamkos: If you have a chance to add someone of his ilk to a team without giving up assets you do, plain and simple. Gives your young lineup a leader who is still young enough to relate to all the rookies. Takes the pressure off Matthews.

(UFA) Vessey: Again, adding a "free" young asset that you can sell on your team's bright future, collection of talent, coaching, city and potential minutes to prove himself for his next contract in short order. The Leafs have more depth at RW than they do at LW and this would help them bridge the gap when JVR's contract is up should he price himself out of their comfort zone.

(UFA) Johnson: A veteran NHL back-up who proved last season that he could put up solid numbers and play a significant number of games in that role on a young team with a weak defense core.

(RFA) Andersen: Best goalie available on the trade market. Lots of experience, proven talent with playoff experience. Won't break the bank to sign and will help cover-up the mistakes that will surely occur from such a young team.

(RFA) Leivo: Proven that he can score at the NHL level. Needs some work on his defense and skating still but certainly a serviceable and inexpensive LW option who has put in his time with the Marlies.

(RFA) C. Carrick: Proven that he has the drive and skill to play in the NHL. Fills a need at RD. While he lacks size he plays with grit and can be a 5/6 who puts up points on the PP.

(RFA) Marincin: Showed that he can play defense at the NHL level last season. Still learning to use his size appropriately and could use more weight on that lanky frame but in controlled minutes as a 5/6 and PK guy he should perform well at a low cap cost.

(RFA) Shaw: Experience, a pest, can chip in offensively, plays center and wing. Put on a line with Komarov and Soshnikhov they will drive other teams nuts and score their fair share of points in the process.

LEADERSHIP:
----------------------------------
Captain: Stamkos
Assistant: Komarov
Assistant: Reilly

UNKNOWNS
----------------------------------
RFAs like Corrado/Harrington/Sparks are they worth signing/potentially losing to waivers or better off flipping to other teams?

Buried vs. Buy Outs: This roster has Lupul (5.25 x2), Stoner (3.25 x2), Grenning (2.65 x1) and Bickell (4 x1) all with the Marlies. Given the number of entry-level deals for the Leafs it may make more sense for them to buyout Bickell and Greening this year, then Stoner and Lupul the following year. Either way it gets all the money off the books in 3 years time. Right when Matthews/Marner/etc. need new contracts.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,500,000
2$925,000
2$925,000
3$925,000
5$5,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Matthews, Auston
3$925,000
Vessey, Jimmy
2$925,000
7$10,500,000
3$1,500,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Bickell, Bryan
  2. Pokka, Ville
Additional Details:
RFA rights to C Andrew Shaw
CHI
  1. Hunwick, Matt
Additional Details:
2017 2nd round pick (OTT)
RFA Rights to D Stuart Percy
RFA Rights to C Peter Holland
ARI
  1. Michalek, Milan ($2,000,000 retained)
TOR
  1. Stoner, Clayton
Additional Details:
RFA Rights G Frederik Andersen
ANA
  1. Bernier, Jonathan
  2. Laich, Brooks
Additional Details:
2017 1st round pick (PIT)
2016 6th round pick (STL)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$74,000,000$70,411,167$512,000$3,765,000$3,588,833

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Vessey, Jimmy
$925,000$925,000
$10,500,000$10,500,000
LW, C
UFA - 8
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 2
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Matthews, Auston
$925,000$925,000
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
UFA - 6
$686,667$686,667 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,950,000$2,950,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 6
$736,666$736,666 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
RW
UFA - 2
$1,116,667$1,116,667
C, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 6
$1,062,500$1,062,500
RD
UFA - 5
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 25, 2016 at 3:45 p.m.
Great description, you clearly put a lot of thought into it, here are my few thoughts on them: I don't think Toronto trades Hunwick because Babcock likes him so much and he brings much needed experience, I also think CHI will likely want to keep Pokka as he is their only defensive prospect. I think TOR will likely not sign a backup goaltender and would rather give some experience to Sparks rather than Johnson. I'm not sure how good Savard is but I think if the Jackets are interested in Bozak that's a good comparable coming back. IMO Andersen isn't the Leafs guy in net for the future, but there's no evidence to suggest that, just what I think, anyways great post!
May 25, 2016 at 4:06 p.m.
leafs1967again
Chad Johnson will be getting a fair bit more.

I think TML will get more back with Vitale if they are forced to take that dead weight. Michalek can at least play in the NHL a little bit. For $2M he is still negative value but so is Vitale.

CHI says no.

CBJ says no.

ANA likely says no but value seems decent. Bernier isn't very good though.
May 25, 2016 at 4:27 p.m.
americanadian
Take Pokka out of the trade, resign Corrado for that spot. Savard has more value than Bozak but if Toronto takes back Hartnell or another big contract it can work. I don't think Anaheim takes on Laich which would mean Toronto buys out Bickell and Lou already came out and said Lupul won't play again which means he will get Robidas'd which opens up the cap space needed.
May 25, 2016 at 5:23 p.m.
Bruins2016/17
I don't see Vesse signing in Toronto. Too much pressure. He'll have his pick of a team and will pick a more comfortable spot.
May 25, 2016 at 6:30 p.m.
americanadian
Quoting: BDF912
I don't see Vesse signing in Toronto. Too much pressure. He'll have his pick of a team and will pick a more comfortable spot.

With Stamkos, Matthews and Marner playing their first seasons in a leaf uniform he will be an afterthought whereas he would be the best incoming player on most other teams, and it's spelled Vesey.
May 25, 2016 at 6:32 p.m.
Buds all day
BDF912: If you don't like "pressure" i don't think you should be in the NHL...

I agree hes not coming to Toronto, as its been reported he wants to sign with Boston (hometown, went to Harvard) but again Boston, not exactly low pressure

if he wanted that he should of signed in...maybe....Nashville???
May 25, 2016 at 7:07 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Chicago doesn't likethe deal. Pokka and Shaw for 1 year of Hunwick and a distant second. Percy and Holland might not even are resigned by the Leafs.
If Anderson is traded by the Ducks, it's because they want cap space....After all he is # 1 goalie. Stoner and Anderson is actually cheaper than Laitch and Bernier. Ducks are still "going for it" would want my immediate help then Bernier and Laitch.
May 25, 2016 at 7:36 p.m.
Bruins2016/17
JimCarrey - I don't think it's that simple. Just look at how Toronto media treated Kessel, and now he's thriving in Pittsburgh. And Toronto still hasn't won a cup in how long?

He's going to want to be gauaranteed a top 6 role so he can get points and cash in, in 2 years when he's a FA. That report of him signing in Boston came out prior to Toronto getting the #1 overall pick, and he doesn't have to sign till August 15, which means Stamkos could be there prior to him signing. So those two factors may make Toronto attractive to him. But Toronto could also bury him if he doesn't perform up to standards whereas other teams would be more patient. I think he'd be better off elsewhere. Boston would be less pressure, as would many other markets...Pitt could be attractive to him too.
May 25, 2016 at 9:21 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
BDF912. As a Toronto resident sometimes, but not too far away regularly, I can honestly say Kessel was not treated poorly by the Toronto media. The Toronto media throws "softball" questions to their players, so the media will not alienate themselves from the team. Now social networking especially in the last season was split about three ways on Kessel, but really it wasn't personal attacks but comments on his ridiculously poor overall play.
Wanna see how heartless Toronto fans are....look at the love affair with the current 30th place Leafs.
Vesey, I think Toronto is still in the mix, especially if the Leafs trade JVR (another LWer). Think you're right, Pittsburg doesn't really have a bonafide 1st line LW, and Vesey might really fit in there.
Boston is a possibility but heck Vesey is 23 years old, and whether he lives in his hometown area or across the continent, it probably doesn't make that much difference.

My last thought on Kessel. Not to often a 27 year old profession athlete "gets it" but IMO that what happened to Phil. Half way through this season and the playoffs, it's like, work harder, smarter and then you win more, man this more fun than losing.
May 26, 2016 at 3:19 a.m.
Halla
decent write up. I dont think Anaheim takes on Laich though, and leafs dont give up Bernier + a 1st if a cap dump is also coming back.
Bernier (50%) retained + pit 1st for Andersen might be better for both sides.
May 27, 2016 at 12:57 p.m.
As not great as Bozak is, Savard is much worse. The Leafs would be better buying him out.

Shaw is also hella overrated for being a Blackhawk. We have enough NHL ready depth players as it is, we don't need more.
May 27, 2016 at 1:23 p.m.
"As a Toronto resident sometimes, but not too far away regularly, I can....."

not relevant

"The Toronto media throws "softball" questions to their players, so the media will not alienate themselves from the team. Now social networking especially in the last season was split about three ways on Kessel, but really it wasn't personal attacks but comments on his ridiculously poor overall play. "

I wouldn't call fabricating hot dog stories and incessant personal attacks on his character "softballs." I also wouldn't call being 6th in points among all NHLers "ridiculously poor overall play."

Kessel was hated by the media and fans for a few main reasons :
1. Toronto sucked really really bad during his entire time here
2. We traded the 2nd, 9th and 30 somethingst overall for him
3. He's awkward and not a good quote.

People are pretty bad at separating ability from narratives and Phil Kessel is a prime example of this.

"My last thought on Kessel. Not to often a 27 year old profession athlete "gets it" but IMO that what happened to Phil. Half way through this season and the playoffs, it's like, work harder, smarter and then you win more, man this more fun than losing."

Halfway through the season is exactly when they switched coaches. Its not a coincidence
May 27, 2016 at 8:25 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: dogtenberg
"As a Toronto resident sometimes, but not too far away regularly, I can....."

not relevant

"The Toronto media throws "softball" questions to their players, so the media will not alienate themselves from the team. Now social networking especially in the last season was split about three ways on Kessel, but really it wasn't personal attacks but comments on his ridiculously poor overall play. "

I wouldn't call fabricating hot dog stories and incessant personal attacks on his character "softballs." I also wouldn't call being 6th in points among all NHLers "ridiculously poor overall play."

Kessel was hated by the media and fans for a few main reasons :
1. Toronto sucked really really bad during his entire time here
2. We traded the 2nd, 9th and 30 somethingst overall for him
3. He's awkward and not a good quote.

People are pretty bad at separating ability from narratives and Phil Kessel is a prime example of this.

"My last thought on Kessel. Not to often a 27 year old profession athlete "gets it" but IMO that what happened to Phil. Half way through this season and the playoffs, it's like, work harder, smarter and then you win more, man this more fun than losing."

Halfway through the season is exactly when they switched coaches. Its not a coincidence

I think living in Toronto, I can understand the situation well. dogtnberg where do you live and what media to you watch and read.?

To get to three statements and the line processed it.

Kessel was NOT hated by the media and fans. That is such a simple fabrication. Maybe a few fans "hated him". The media certainly did not after Phil. More and more people were unhappy/dismayed/upset at Phil's poor play but it was not hate.
Toronto didn't "suck really bad during his entire time hear". Average at times, but poor usually, and sometimes really poor.
Certainly the media didn't hate Phil because of the trade. Maybe a few fans. Certainly there was really bad vibes around Brian "The Burke" and his collection of idiot executives for being lazy, arrogant and just plain incompetent. Incompetent meaning not being able to evaluate players abilities which lead to poor trades, free agent signing and drafting.
IMO I thought Phil was a good quote, and one reason was because he was awkward.

Oh, if you're going quote me to it correctly.. I did not say his entire stay with the Leafs was "ridiculously poor overall play" It was in the last half of his last season with the Leafs, I made this statement. Only then the social media start to criticize Phil for his poor play and his seemingly lack of effort on and off the ice.
There were not incessant personal attacks on his character. Your just making this stuff up now.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll