Forums/Armchair-GM

Ullmark to Ottawa

Created by: BruinsWoahWoah
Team: 2024-25 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 20, 2024
Published: Jun. 20, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
According to the fourth period, Ottawa is not on Ullmark's no trade list and is reportedly ready to offer Chychrun and a first (Boston gets its own pick back) for Ullmark.

Boston signs Swayman, Debrusk, and deals for Necas to add scoring to the top-6.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$7,500,000
3$800,000
7$7,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$5,750,000
Trades
BOS
  1. Chychrun, Jakob
  2. 2024 1st round pick (BOS)
BOS
  1. Necas, Martin [RFA Rights]
CAR
  1. Boqvist, Jesper [RFA Rights]
  2. Merkulov, Georgi
  3. 2024 1st round pick (BOS)
  4. 2025 1st round pick (BOS)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$88,000,000$87,504,167$50,000$542,500$495,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW, LW
UFA
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$11,250,000$11,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 7
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$870,000$870,000 (Performance Bonus$80,000$80K)
C
RFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
RFA
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
RW
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
C
RFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$250,000$250K)
LD
RFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$7,500,000$7,500,000
G
RFA
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,100,000$4,100,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
G
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC, NMC
UFA - 6
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 20 at 8:07 p.m.
Colby
if u guys get necas hes surely playing with pasta and zacha no? if not then why even get him?
Jun. 20 at 8:10 p.m.
Quoting: colby
if u guys get necas hes surely playing with pasta and zacha no? if not then why even get him?

Most likely - threw him on the second line to have a little bit more defensive balance playing with Marchand and Poitras, but I would guess they initially try a Necas-Zacha-Pasta line
Jun. 20 at 8:12 p.m.
Ottawa definitely isn't adding to that swap. That's a 1 for 1, imo as a neutral fan.
vikhodush liked this.
Jun. 20 at 8:18 p.m.
Quoting: Wqrrior
Ottawa definitely isn't adding to that swap. That's a 1 for 1, imo as a neutral fan.

I didn't make this up - Ottawa apparently really wants Ullmark: https://www.thefourthperiod.com/pagnotta/ullmark-trade-talks-picking-up. I would think under normal circumstances it would be a 1 for 1, but with other teams like Carolina, Colorado, and Detroit in the goalie market I could see them adding a late first pick to get it done. Ottawa is reportedly willing to add a first to the swap.
Jun. 20 at 8:21 p.m.
Colby

no shot. chyc value is far lower then a vensa winning goalie who has had a .915+ save% most his career on a cheap 5m cap hit compared to his play. Chyc would be bostons 3LD and will walk on most teams looking for the biggest deal he can considering his crazy undervalue contract he signed half a decade ago on the yotes
Jun. 20 at 8:25 p.m.
I know the Chychrun+ 1st thing has been out there for a bit, but I feel like there's no shot it goes down straight up like that. There's just no way Ullmark's value is that high, and there's even less of a shot that any team is offering a piece that immediately helps the Bruins as much as Chychrun would.

I would imagine there are more pieces involved to make it actually make sense. For starters, I feel like Forsberg is just definitely going the other way, and I think there's a pick or roster player coming back too.
Borocop, vikhodush and TCMonkey liked this.
Jun. 20 at 8:35 p.m.
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
I know the Chychrun+ 1st thing has been out there for a bit, but I feel like there's no shot it goes down straight up like that. There's just no way Ullmark's value is that high, and there's even less of a shot that any team is offering a piece that immediately helps the Bruins as much as Chychrun would.

I would imagine there are more pieces involved to make it actually make sense. For starters, I feel like Forsberg is just definitely going the other way, and I think there's a pick or roster player coming back too.

I could see Forsberg going the other way... I don't think its far off value though.

Markstrom just returned Bahl and a first. Ullmark is better and has a lot more left in the tank - should be solid for the next 5 years on a extension.

IMO talks start with Chych-Ullmark swap and Ottawa throws in the late 1st to get it done. Gotta beat out Carolina, Colorado, and Detroit for the remaining goalies on the market.
Jun. 20 at 8:37 p.m.
Quoting: BruinsWoahWoah
I didn't make this up - Ottawa apparently really wants Ullmark: https://www.thefourthperiod.com/pagnotta/ullmark-trade-talks-picking-up. I would think under normal circumstances it would be a 1 for 1, but with other teams like Carolina, Colorado, and Detroit in the goalie market I could see them adding a late first pick to get it done. Ottawa is reportedly willing to add a first to the swap.

I can understand them adding a little bit, but there are still lots of goalies on this market, and even if they are really in on it, gotta realize that media reports rarely aren't exaggerated. Remember how Seravelli was dead set that Hronek's new deal would start with a 8? I won't call you irrational for making a post off of an article, but I don't believe this type of extreme overpay will happen. I would be surprised if it does.
Jun. 20 at 8:41 p.m.
Good nerd

I don't think the Bruins value Chychrun that much on their own roster. On their left side D, they have Hampus Lindholm long term with an NMC, so he isn't going anywhere. And they have Lohrei, who is an offensive defenseman and likely heir apparent to the PP1 QB spot. Both of those guys are big, but neither is a bruiser. Chychrun seems like he fits that exact same mold.

I personally think that if Chychrun comes back in an Ullmark trade, that Boston tries to flip him for a forward, prospects, or picks. If they keep him, I can't imagine them re-signing him because they desperately need cheaper guys rounding out the backend (like Lohrei) so they can save salary space to try and improve their top 6.
Celtics21 liked this.
Jun. 20 at 8:48 p.m.
I have no idea what is going to happen here, but I’m happy if Ullmark is open to Ottawa. Gotta assume that if he goes there, it comes with an extension.

I’m more curious to see what the offer is on both sides. I think there is a deal here. I doubt it is either Chychrun for Ullmark or Chychrun and 25 for Ullmark, but who knows.

Wonder if Chychrun and 39 for Ullmark might be an interesting compromise.
BruinsWoahWoah liked this.
Jun. 20 at 8:56 p.m.
I can understand them adding a little bit, but there are still lots of goalies on this market, and even if they are really in on it, gotta realize that media reports rarely aren't exaggerated. Remember how Seravelli was dead set that Hronek's new deal would start with a 8? I won't call you irrational for making a post off of an article, but I don't believe this type of extreme overpay will happen. I would be surprised if it does.

I mean outside of Ullmark/Saros - what other goalies left on the market are difference makers?
Jun. 20 at 8:57 p.m.
Bcarlo25
massive overpay for a player that's a horrid fit for boston. absolutely not

how would he play with zacha and pasta? the bruins clearly want pasta on the wing, so that would be a line of three wingers.
Jun. 20 at 8:59 p.m.
I mean outside of Ullmark/Saros - what other goalies left on the market are difference makers?

Not that I think GIbson is worth positive value, but hes on the market. Stolarz and Brossoit excelled last year, so there are teams that will surely want to try them at the very least as a 1B. I believe Korpisalo would bounce back on a different team.

Regardless, I don't see a world where Ullmark (as a rental) gets more than Markstrom (retained and with term). Chychrun on his own should still command a decent return. That return if flipped probably looks similar to the markstrom return.
Jun. 20 at 8:59 p.m.
Bcarlo25

chychrun likely is their third LD. just not really a need.
Jun. 20 at 9:01 p.m.
Quoting: tupty
I don't think the Bruins value Chychrun that much on their own roster. On their left side D, they have Hampus Lindholm long term with an NMC, so he isn't going anywhere. And they have Lohrei, who is an offensive defenseman and likely heir apparent to the PP1 QB spot. Both of those guys are big, but neither is a bruiser. Chychrun seems like he fits that exact same mold.

I personally think that if Chychrun comes back in an Ullmark trade, that Boston tries to flip him for a forward, prospects, or picks. If they keep him, I can't imagine them re-signing him because they desperately need cheaper guys rounding out the backend (like Lohrei) so they can save salary space to try and improve their top 6.

I view Chychrun as insurance in case Lohrei has a sophomore slump. If Lohrei continues to develop into a top pair LHD, Chychrun becomes a luxury and I could see them flipping Chych for picks/prospects or letting him play out his deal and see if they can afford to extend both Chych on a reasonable extension and Lohrei on a bridge deal. Boston has been overly dependent on Lindholm the last two years and need to manage his minutes.

I don't view their skillsets as redundant... Bruins need more mobile/puck movers to play with Carlo and Peeke.
Jun. 20 at 9:02 p.m.
Quoting: Celtics21
I have no idea what is going to happen here, but I’m happy if Ullmark is open to Ottawa. Gotta assume that if he goes there, it comes with an extension.

I’m more curious to see what the offer is on both sides. I think there is a deal here. I doubt it is either Chychrun for Ullmark or Chychrun and 25 for Ullmark, but who knows.

Wonder if Chychrun and 39 for Ullmark might be an interesting compromise.

A lot of smoke there... multiple sources say Ullmark is willing to go to Ottawa
Jun. 20 at 9:07 p.m.
Colby
Quoting: Bcarlo25

how would he play with zacha and pasta? the bruins clearly want pasta on the wing, so that would be a line of three wingers.

zacha and necas have both spent time as a C. while i are neither are good Cs one of them will have too. Theres no worth necas and pasta dont fight for them 3 to be on a line. would be like 2 years ago when krejci came back for that year.
Jun. 20 at 9:09 p.m.
Colby
Not that I think GIbson is worth positive value, but hes on the market. Stolarz and Brossoit excelled last year, so there are teams that will surely want to try them at the very least as a 1B. I believe Korpisalo would bounce back on a different team.

Regardless, I don't see a world where Ullmark (as a rental) gets more than Markstrom (retained and with term). Chychrun on his own should still command a decent return. That return if flipped probably looks similar to the markstrom return.

Markstrom has been a significantly worse goalie over the last 2 years then ullmark. even over the last 4 years ullmark has been a better goalie. Yes ullmark will need an extension but markstrom is far risker to crash and brun. markstrom getting what he got is only bring ullmarks value higher. ullmark is easily worth 1/3 more then markstrom. term doesmt mean much considering hes 34 and will be 36 when his deal is up. its 1 extra year on the deal.
Jun. 20 at 9:10 p.m.

Two late first round picks, Merkulov, and Boqvist's rights are an overpay for an elite offensive player entering his prime? Play Necas on his off-wing with Zacha and Pasta... Zacha is defensively responsible and decent at faceoffs. Zacha is also analytically a better C than Elias Lindholm.

chychrun likely is their third LD. just not really a need.

3rd LD is definitely a need... don't think you can go into the season with Wotherspoon as a full-time player. He should be a very good rotational/7th D.
Jun. 20 at 9:14 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Two late first round picks, Merkulov, and Boqvist's rights are an overpay for an elite offensive player entering his prime? Play Necas on his off-wing with Zacha and Pasta... Zacha is defensively responsible and decent at faceoffs. Zacha is also analytically a better C than Elias Lindholm.

3rd LD is definitely a need... don't think you can go into the season with Wotherspoon as a full-time player. He should be a very good rotational/7th D.

it was very clear that boston wants zacha on the wing. you can think that's a bad move, but it's clearly what they want.

we'll get into the value in a second, but i think you don't understand what a bad fit necas is in boston.

First off, necas just isn't that good. full stop. 50ish points last year. he's very talented but he's nothing special. then factor in that he can't play center, and he's one of the worst defensive forwards in the league...just not a fit. furthermore, 5 on 5? ya, just not very good. heinen had one fewer goal in much fewer minutes. i think it was about five fewer points. at five on five, heinen is a better hockey player in boston than necas is in boston. It's just a horrible concept.

then ya, two firsts is a ridiculous overplay for a player of his caliber. i get it, he's the shiny new toy that people are talking about. he's not a special player.

3rd LD is a need. not for $4.6M, and at the cost of their biggest trade chip.

this whole thing is a mess.
Jun. 20 at 9:19 p.m.
no shot. chyc value is far lower then a vensa winning goalie who has had a .915+ save% most his career on a cheap 5m cap hit compared to his play. Chyc would be bostons 3LD and will walk on most teams looking for the biggest deal he can considering his crazy undervalue contract he signed half a decade ago on the yotes

rofl Gs have lower value than other positions, chych has more value than ulmark not the other way around
Jun. 20 at 9:22 p.m.
Markstrom has been a significantly worse goalie over the last 2 years then ullmark. even over the last 4 years ullmark has been a better goalie. Yes ullmark will need an extension but markstrom is far risker to crash and brun. markstrom getting what he got is only bring ullmarks value higher. ullmark is easily worth 1/3 more then markstrom. term doesmt mean much considering hes 34 and will be 36 when his deal is up. its 1 extra year on the deal.

you are riddled with bias, its actually kinda funny to read your takes. the only way ullmark is getting more is if he comes with a fair extension.
Jun. 20 at 9:34 p.m.
it was very clear that boston wants zacha on the wing. you can think that's a bad move, but it's clearly what they want.

we'll get into the value in a second, but i think you don't understand what a bad fit necas is in boston.

First off, necas just isn't that good. full stop. 50ish points last year. he's very talented but he's nothing special. then factor in that he can't play center, and he's one of the worst defensive forwards in the league...just not a fit. furthermore, 5 on 5? ya, just not very good. heinen had one fewer goal in much fewer minutes. i think it was about five fewer points. at five on five, heinen is a better hockey player in boston than necas is in boston. It's just a horrible concept.

then ya, two firsts is a ridiculous overplay for a player of his caliber. i get it, he's the shiny new toy that people are talking about. he's not a special player.

3rd LD is a need. not for $4.6M, and at the cost of their biggest trade chip.

this whole thing is a mess.

I agree ideally Zacha moves to the wing, but I don't see a player currently on the market that is a bonafide upgrade to Zacha at 1C. I don't want anything to do with Elias Lindholm and his outrageous contract demands... anything over $6M AAV for a 30 year old center with a three year downward trend (read: plane crash) in his level of play is an overpay. You are essentially gambling that he is going to revert to 2021 Elias Lindholm. I would consider Chandler Stephenson, but I don't really see him as legit upgrade to Zacha and think he gets paid considerably more based on the lack of centers on the market.

IMO Necas is an elite offensive player and would easily get to 90 points playing with Pasta. The top 6 needs scoring and this is the best solution available - would be a steal long-term at $7M AAV.

Maybe re-sign Heinen as Lysell insurance, but I don't see a spot for him on the team. He's not good enough to be a full time top 6 player and this team has too many middle/bottom 6 wingers.

Who would you recommend for a 3 LD?

Hate on it if you want, but this team is significantly better than the team that took Florida to 6 games.
Jun. 20 at 9:39 p.m.
Chychrun isn’t really a fit for Boston
tupty liked this.
Jun. 20 at 10:37 p.m.
Good nerd
I view Chychrun as insurance in case Lohrei has a sophomore slump. If Lohrei continues to develop into a top pair LHD, Chychrun becomes a luxury and I could see them flipping Chych for picks/prospects or letting him play out his deal and see if they can afford to extend both Chych on a reasonable extension and Lohrei on a bridge deal. Boston has been overly dependent on Lindholm the last two years and need to manage his minutes.

I don't view their skillsets as redundant... Bruins need more mobile/puck movers to play with Carlo and Peeke.

I agree with the idea of an LD insurance policy for Lohrei, but I personally don't think it needs to specifically be a puck mover. I'd rather get someone who can take the PK minutes and some of the end of game shutdown minutes from Lindholm, and someone who can clear the net front. Those are much harder minutes that I think we could take off of Lindholm's plate. But that's just my opinion. If you keep Chychrun and flip him in season, then we're left with slim pickings to fill that spot in-season or spending assets on it. That's going to be a problem if we are playoff-bound considering our lack of assets. And if Lohrei is struggling, then I think you can't flip him anyway, and he may ultimately walk for nothing.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll