Forums/Armchair-GM

Huge trade Dubois to Habs flipping LHS and RHS Dmen

Created by: DopeGM
Team: 2024-25 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: May 13, 2024
Published: May 13, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Dangerous trade to throw into Capfriendly because LAK gives up the two best players. But Spence is a nice near top-4 piece on the right side. He’ll play top pair minutes during this transition / growth phase for Montreal.

The PLD gamble is way way safer at this cap hit. What he does to your room scares me!

I think Tij or Senecke is the pick for Montreal. I don’t see Lindstrom falling. I threw Tij into the roster for next year even though he’s a near lock for another year of the W given how young he is.

If Armia can keep his late season play up I actually really like that third line. Tricky question, Newhook on LW2 or C3

I don’t like Comrie as the G2 but I do like signing a league minimum guy, picking up one of those young Gs that hit the wire every preseason, and turning them into the next Montembault. All while keeping Price on the active roster until Day 2 (which helps with accruing cap space, bonuses, etc)
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$3,750,000
3$2,750,000
1$850,000
1$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$795,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Iginla, Tij
3$975,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Dubois, Pierre-Luc ($2,000,000 retained)
  2. Spence, Jordan [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Trade only remotely possible if LAK compares this deal to a buyout.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$87,500,000$88,734,583$1,022,500$4,670,000-$1,234,583
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 6
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Iginla, Tij
$975,000$975,000
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 2
$835,000$835,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
RW, LW
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RD
RFA
$3,150,000$3,150,000
G
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$795,000$795,000
G
UFA
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LD
RFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
RFA
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 13 at 9:28 a.m.
Au-revoir Dorion
It would make way more sense without retention IMO. The incentive for them to trade Dubois would be to rid themselves of his 8.5M$ cap hit, but in this case theyre only saving 1M with you sending Anderson back, and are getting significantly worse
Habs_22_14_20 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 13 at 9:38 a.m.
"Go sell ice cream!"
This is pushing into borderline HOF worthy territory. I mean HOF of delusion.
May 13 at 9:41 a.m.
Serious armchairGM:)
Quoting: Borocop
It would make way more sense without retention IMO. The incentive for them to trade Dubois would be to rid themselves of his 8.5M$ cap hit, but in this case theyre only saving 1M with you sending Anderson back, and are getting significantly worse

I think LA’s motivations extend beyond year 1 cap.

Only motivation for MTL is to rid one of Anderson or Gallagher in the deal. And they won’t bring in PLD at a cap hit above Suzuki for everyone’s sake.

So a big part of the motivation for LA is avoiding the long term cap hit, however minimal those will be, in exchange for getting something for PLD.

To be honest, if Spence is outpriced, I wouldn’t mind the idea of trading all those assets they gave up for PLD for Struble a great young G and a cheap RHS #6Dman. They slot really well
May 13 at 9:41 a.m.
LA fan from Germany
The Kings easily decline
May 13 at 9:42 a.m.
Quoting: jfkst1
This is pushing into borderline HOF worthy territory. I mean HOF of delusion.

I’m a disinterested third party! lol. Just dopey not delusional smile
May 13 at 9:43 a.m.
Quoting: Robinho3799
The Kings easily decline

It’s a MTL deal or a buyout so I guess you’re saying LA chooses buyout! I totally agree. But this is the type of deal I could see working for both sides.
May 13 at 9:49 a.m.
LA fan from Germany
Quoting: DopeGM
It’s a MTL deal or a buyout so I guess you’re saying LA chooses buyout! I totally agree. But this is the type of deal I could see working for both sides.

Well, if that is the type of deal, the Kings easily pass on that and Rob Blake already ruled out a possible buy-out of his contract... That said, the Kings better build a good line with him
May 13 at 9:51 a.m.
Well, if that is the type of deal, the Kings easily pass on that and Rob Blake already ruled out a possible buy-out of his contract... That said, the Kings better build a good line with him

He said no buyout? Wild. I would never enter the next season with a roster that good and a cancer that obvious
May 13 at 9:56 a.m.
Au-revoir Dorion
I think LA’s motivations extend beyond year 1 cap.

Only motivation for MTL is to rid one of Anderson or Gallagher in the deal. And they won’t bring in PLD at a cap hit above Suzuki for everyone’s sake.

So a big part of the motivation for LA is avoiding the long term cap hit, however minimal those will be, in exchange for getting something for PLD.

To be honest, if Spence is outpriced, I wouldn’t mind the idea of trading all those assets they gave up for PLD for Struble a great young G and a cheap RHS #6Dman. They slot really well

Their motivations would extend past 1 year which is why this deal doesnt really make any kind sense for them. PLD is flawed but is still the best player in the deal, and spence is like you say the second best player. The only incentive the kings should have to trade the first and second best player in the deal is for a pretty decent amount of salary cap relief, but they are getting none of that with the retention and anderson going back the other way.

PLDs cap hit poses a way bigger issue in the short term than it does the long term imo, cap will continue to grow throughout the duration of the deal and the cap hit % will continue to shrink as a result, so by year 4 that total cap will not be as crippling as it is now. The kings should be trading him for salary relief over the next 3-4 years imo, which theyre getting none of in this deal, while simultaneously giving up a 2nd pair RD who can be cost-controlled for a couple more seasons. I think if there was something based around dvorak for PLD with no retention that might get some more traction (but the habs would probably need to add still), but the habs are going to have to take on some cap risk if they want him for cheap.
DopeGM liked this.
May 13 at 10:18 a.m.
Edited May 13 at 10:25 a.m.

LMAO, you do realize that the Kings are saving waaayyyyy more than that right?! Its 1 mil for the next 3 years then 6.5 mil for the final 4 years, that's right Anderson has 4 years less on his contract than Dubois does. In total the Kings are saving 26 mil not just 1 mil as you seem to think
DopeGM liked this.
May 13 at 10:22 a.m.
LA fan from Germany
He said no buyout? Wild. I would never enter the next season with a roster that good and a cancer that obvious

You mean cancer by zodiac sign ? grin
Well, I personally think PLD can work out with the Kings if he has some decent wingers on his line. He was mostly centering the third line with Laferriere on RW (rookie season), Anderson-Dolan on LW, who is not NHL-level, guys like Kaliyev who is not working out with the team and partly Grundstrom or a few games Lizotte, who are also not known as top 6 wingers.
That being said, his role was not clear all season long and guys were shuffled around on his line.
He surely produced way below expectations and surely has to improve, but in the end of the day, the Kings need to provide him also with the chance to show, what they'd expect out of him.

Actually, the Kings shouldn't have kept Blake as a GM and would be probably in a better position, if they replaced him. But the discussion about Blake is a very different one...
DopeGM liked this.
May 13 at 11:10 a.m.
Au-revoir Dorion
Quoting: Campabee
LMAO, you do realize that the Kings are saving waaayyyyy more than that right?! Its 1 mil for the next 3 years then 6.5 mil for the final 4 years, that's right Anderson has 4 years less on his contract than Dubois does. In total the Kings are saving 26 mil not just 1 mil as you seem to think

yes but, them getting out from the next 4 years is more important than the total 8 imo, the cap hit at 8.5 million becomes less of an issue the more time passes so getting more instant cap relief while they have a competive team should be the goal. If it was only about saving total $$ they would just buy him out and not take back any contracts and not give up a quality young RD in the process
DopeGM liked this.
May 13 at 12:37 p.m.

They keep Dubois genius one off year doesn't instantly make him someone they trade or buyout
May 13 at 12:44 p.m.
yes but, them getting out from the next 4 years is more important than the total 8 imo, the cap hit at 8.5 million becomes less of an issue the more time passes so getting more instant cap relief while they have a competive team should be the goal. If it was only about saving total $$ they would just buy him out and not take back any contracts and not give up a quality young RD in the process

Oh I agree, I was just saying the 1 mil savings was not accurate. Personally, I think Montreal would be interested in acquiring PLD without retention or sending Anderson back. I think they would be more likely to send back Dvorak + Primeau + Struble + 2nd. Many on here seem to confuse cap dump with not working in the current system/lineup
Borocop and DopeGM liked this.
May 13 at 2:02 p.m.
You mean cancer by zodiac sign ? grin
Well, I personally think PLD can work out with the Kings if he has some decent wingers on his line. He was mostly centering the third line with Laferriere on RW (rookie season), Anderson-Dolan on LW, who is not NHL-level, guys like Kaliyev who is not working out with the team and partly Grundstrom or a few games Lizotte, who are also not known as top 6 wingers.
That being said, his role was not clear all season long and guys were shuffled around on his line.
He surely produced way below expectations and surely has to improve, but in the end of the day, the Kings need to provide him also with the chance to show, what they'd expect out of him.

Actually, the Kings shouldn't have kept Blake as a GM and would be probably in a better position, if they replaced him. But the discussion about Blake is a very different one...

By zodiak sign exactly wink

Blake is the wrong guy to make the PLD call. I personally don’t like holding PLD long term and this summer is the only chance at the 1/3 buyout. So it’s a unique short timeline issue.

But assuming a new GM would also hold, I think you’re right that building a real like around him and calling it L2 internally would make a big difference for PLD.

But again, cancer, he should have been able to work hard regardless of his minutes and role. He’s not that guy. I’d rather buyout than hold given the 1/3 cost. And more than both I’d rather do a deal like this one and just make the salary retention the cost.

I tried to design it so they won the Spence for cheap young depth side of the deal, which I think they did. And then threw in PLD and retained for Anderson part.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll