1. Necas, Martin [RFA Rights]
CAR
  1. Armia, Joel ($1,700,000 retained)
  2. Mesar, Filip
  3. 2024 1st round pick (WPG)
  4. 2024 3rd round pick (MIN)
  5. 2025 1st round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
I just want to see the opinions from Canes fans about that trade.

Mesar is a underrated prospect from Slovakia. He haved good numbers in the OHL last season and somes greats stats during the OHL playoffs and during the WJC (also the best player for his team).

About Armia, somes people will gonna call him a cap dump guy, but I personally think that he is built for playoffs (I can also said that he is maybe better than Fast). Also, I think it's the most important point in that trade, is that Armia was the mentor of KK when he arrived in Montreal back in 2018-19. So, if someone who can REALLY help KK to having a bounce-back career in the NHL, it's Armia.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
18$87,700,000$66,386,250$1,022,500$4,670,000$21,313,750
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 6
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 3
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
G
UFA - 3
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 1
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 1
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LD
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 30 at 11:51 a.m.
Subbanator
Canes fans on this site will tell you they want a plug and player who's younger, better and cheaper
Apr. 30 at 11:57 a.m.
ht42
Quoting: Subbanator7667
Canes fans on this site will tell you they want a plug and player who's younger, better and cheaper

They will gonna said that's need Caufield or Slafkovsky + a 1st........ tears of joy

But I think that's a realsitc great and overpay offer for Necas...
Subbanator7667 liked this.
Apr. 30 at 12:01 p.m.
Lets Get Kraken
If the Canes were entering a rebuild, that might be enough for Necas. But you are wanting to acquire a young top 6 piece off a contender. That raises the price by quite a bit. The Canes want to make their roster better, and the Habs don’t want to give up the 3 players that the Canes would actively be looking to trade for, and the futures they want to give up aren’t want the Canes would want either.
Apr. 30 at 12:03 p.m.
ht42
Quoting: evelutions2
If the Canes were entering a rebuild, that might be enough for Necas. But you are wanting to acquire a young top 6 piece off a contender. That raises the price by quite a bit. The Canes want to make their roster better, and the Habs don’t want to give up the 3 players that the Canes would actively be looking to trade for, and the futures they want to give up aren’t want the Canes would want either.

I understand your point, but what about trading the picks for Buchnevich ???

GM's always thinks a little bit out of the box.........
Apr. 30 at 12:13 p.m.
2 1sts too much, I wouldn't pay more than Lehkonen got the Habs
Apr. 30 at 12:18 p.m.
ht42
Quoting: Campabee
2 1sts too much, I wouldn't pay more than Lehkonen got the Habs

Necas is WAY better offensively than Lehkonen at the same age.....
Apr. 30 at 12:26 p.m.
I think the Canes will target young NHL forwards with potential. Tomasino, Parssinen are a couple players from Nashville that resemble what I think they would want. Obviously picks can be swapped for players depending on each teams wants and needs bit I would expect they would try to deal with single team over multiple.
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 30 at 12:27 p.m.
ht42
Quoting: Lancebmx
I think the Canes will target young NHL forwards with potential. Tomasino, Parssinen are a couple players from Nashville that resemble what I think they would want. Obviously picks can be swapped for players depending on each teams wants and needs bit I would expect they would try to deal with single team over multiple.

That's will gonna be very difficult to somes teams to trade away somes actual young players, especially because they will not gonna want to make the Dubois trade mistake by LA.
Apr. 30 at 12:29 p.m.
None of those pieces help the Canes contend next year. So, value aside, makes no sense from a Canes’ perspective.
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 30 at 12:29 p.m.
Quoting: ht42
That's will gonna be very difficult to somes teams to trade away somes actual young players, especially because they will not gonna want to make the Dubois trade mistake by LA.

Yeah, it won't be easy. I just think they will value cheap young players with potential and already playing in the NHL plus maybe a pick or something.
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 30 at 12:56 p.m.
Quoting: ht42
Necas is WAY better offensively than Lehkonen at the same age.....

Necas is averages 55 points per year and sucks defensively. What he makes up in offensive abilities he more than loses in defensive abilities. He just simply is getting overhyped on this site cause he had 71 points in 2023-23, Domi had 72 at the same age then regressed back to being a 55 point player as well, would you pay this price for Domi?! Necas is a good 2nd line winger but he isn't worth 3 1st + 2nd + 3rd, there are much, much, much better players you can spend those types of assets for that will actually be worth it.
Apr. 30 at 1:28 p.m.
Canes fan with a little different take here.

I'm a huge Necas fan & supporter, but I would still seriously consider this if I'm the GM in Carolina. While everything said about a contending team and wanting players who can contribute now is true, it's isn't always realistic. Of course we'd prefer a younger/cheaper player that could contribute but those aren't just readily available. The best way to extend the current window is to maximize the value and return you get for the asset. If the market for Necas demands 7M+, I'd rather take the 2 firsts /bottom 6 vet/prospect and bring back Teravainen for 2-3 years at a lower number (4-5M?). At some point you need the ELC/RFA value that the likes of Necas/Jarvis/Drury have afforded coming through the pipeline to make space for the guys you HAVE to pay.

Again, I'm a huge Necas fan and would prefer him back on a team friendly deal if possible but if that's not in the cards, I'd take an overpay in futures over aging vets with bloated contracts just to try to match the production they'd be losing.
ht42 and aedoran liked this.
Apr. 30 at 1:33 p.m.
Necas is averages 55 points per year and sucks defensively. What he makes up in offensive abilities he more than loses in defensive abilities. He just simply is getting overhyped on this site cause he had 71 points in 2023-23, Domi had 72 at the same age then regressed back to being a 55 point player as well, would you pay this price for Domi?! Necas is a good 2nd line winger but he isn't worth 3 1st + 2nd + 3rd, there are much, much, much better players you can spend those types of assets for that will actually be worth it.

A 55 point player who's never received top line or top PP minutes. Not saying he's deserved them in Carolina over who've they've played in those roles, but there is context to it all. Carolina has admittedly had a 2C hole the last couple years. Not saying numbers aren't important, just saying that the eyes will tell you that he brings more to the table than what he's produced in the role he's played.
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 30 at 2:48 p.m.
Quoting: Cushmaker
A 55 point player who's never received top line or top PP minutes. Not saying he's deserved them in Carolina over who've they've played in those roles, but there is context to it all. Carolina has admittedly had a 2C hole the last couple years. Not saying numbers aren't important, just saying that the eyes will tell you that he brings more to the table than what he's produced in the role he's played.

Facts are, he doesn't produce enough, the fit might not be there, he might not be playing in the role he wants but this is a results based league, the same things were said about Domi, that noise doesn't make a lick of difference when talking about a player’s value. GM's aren't paying for what a player "might" do they only pay for what a player consistently does and Necas consistently puts up an average of 55 points a season while being horrible defensively, those are the exact same reasons Domi only returned Josh Anderson.

I like Necas he has good size, speed and skill but until he puts together multiple 70 point season, his value isn't going to be more than that of a 55 point player aka Lehkonen or Domi.
Cushmaker liked this.
Apr. 30 at 3:13 p.m.
Facts are, he doesn't produce enough, the fit might not be there, he might not be playing in the role he wants but this is a results based league, the same things were said about Domi, that noise doesn't make a lick of difference when talking about a player’s value. GM's aren't paying for what a player "might" do they only pay for what a player consistently does and Necas consistently puts up an average of 55 points a season while being horrible defensively, those are the exact same reasons Domi only returned Josh Anderson.

I like Necas he has good size, speed and skill but until he puts together multiple 70 point season, his value isn't going to be more than that of a 55 point player aka Lehkonen or Domi.

How many of those ~55 points come in OT where it leads directly to 2 points in the standings.... Not all points are created equal. He leads the league in OT goals over the last 2 years with plenty of assist to go with them. Again context matters. Teams have, and always will pay a premium for game breaking skills.

A fair counter point would be that for every extra bit he excels in OT, he seems to struggle in the playoffs which is the complete opposite time/space environment.... but I'd rather get there and take my chances.
Apr. 30 at 3:15 p.m.
ht42

Don't forget that Kent Hughes isn't scary to paid the price for a element that he really wants. He want a young winger for the top 6 who can produce somes offensive stats, and Necas haved a 70pts season.

He is not scared to paid that much.
Apr. 30 at 3:55 p.m.
ht42
Canes fan with a little different take here.

I'm a huge Necas fan & supporter, but I would still seriously consider this if I'm the GM in Carolina. While everything said about a contending team and wanting players who can contribute now is true, it's isn't always realistic. Of course we'd prefer a younger/cheaper player that could contribute but those aren't just readily available. The best way to extend the current window is to maximize the value and return you get for the asset. If the market for Necas demands 7M+, I'd rather take the 2 firsts /bottom 6 vet/prospect and bring back Teravainen for 2-3 years at a lower number (4-5M?). At some point you need the ELC/RFA value that the likes of Necas/Jarvis/Drury have afforded coming through the pipeline to make space for the guys you HAVE to pay.

Again, I'm a huge Necas fan and would prefer him back on a team friendly deal if possible but if that's not in the cards, I'd take an overpay in futures over aging vets with bloated contracts just to try to match the production they'd be losing.

Personally it's a very intelligent comment. Thank you.

I think Carolina will gonna need to makes somes big choices between keeping Guentzel, Jarvis, Necas, Teuvo, Skjei and Pesce, and I didn't mention also Noesen and Drury. And what I see about all of them, even if you decide to buyout KK, you will not gonna have the cap space to retain all of them.

Guentzel : likely gonna ask the 9M mark, and I think that he is one of the best LW in the league. Why let him testing the market ?

Jarvis : using the Caufield contract as a comparaison, and he is more valuable than Necas.

Teuvo : I can see gone, but he can be very interrested to stay in Carolina.

Skjei : one of the best Dman in your team, maybe better and more valuable than Burns. You need to keep him.

Pesce : one of the best defensive Dman in the league, you need to convice him to stay in Carolina.

And all of that leads to Necas, who already sign a bridge deal and want maybe more than 6,5M. You have the choice to let go somes players who are maybe more valuable for the team for extending Necas OR you trade him away and you trade after that the picks for a good asset, like Buchnevich.......
Cushmaker liked this.
Apr. 30 at 4:09 p.m.
Massive overpay.
Apr. 30 at 4:50 p.m.
How many of those ~55 points come in OT where it leads directly to 2 points in the standings.... Not all points are created equal. He leads the league in OT goals over the last 2 years with plenty of assist to go with them. Again context matters. Teams have, and always will pay a premium for game breaking skills.

A fair counter point would be that for every extra bit he excels in OT, he seems to struggle in the playoffs which is the complete opposite time/space environment.... but I'd rather get there and take my chances.

That's the rub right, balancing regular season stats with playoff stats. Give most players in the league, time and space and most of them will produce at a higher rate, take that away in the playoffs and that's where we see the cream rise as they say.

I like Necas and would like to have him on the team but I am not willing to pay 3 1sts+ on a gamble, if I am paying 3 1sts then I would rather target someone we know is going to preform at a high level all the time and excels in the playoffs (I know Aho isn't available but that's the type of player it would take for me to spend 3 1sts +).

Again, it's not that I don't like or don't want Necas it's just that it's too big of a risk at that price.
Cushmaker liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll