Top 6 upgrade options

Created by: Capitalfail67
Team: 2024-25 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 29, 2024
Published: Apr. 29, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
WSH
    Marner is not going to waive his NMC to go to DC. His cost is likely high and his next contract is going to be in the 11m-12m. I assume Capitals have to look elsewhere for a top 6 talent
    TOR
    WSH
    1. Laine, Patrik
    Additional Details:
    Jacket fans general opinion is that they would want a high pick / great roster player in exchange for him.Would fill a top 6 need.

not a big fan of this trade but fills the need. Would also need him to extend or have a handshake agreement with him
    CBJ
      17oa + Cristall
      WSH
      1. Zegras, Trevor
      Additional Details:
      This would be a horrible decision and incredibly short sighted but feels like this is what the fans want

more realistic would be a similar return that Debrincat got

late 1st + 4th + roster player + meh prospect
      ANA
      1. Leonard, Ryan [Reserve List]
      WSH
      1. Ehlers, Nikolaj
      Additional Details:
      extended obviously

1st + prospect? not entirely sure of his value
      WPG
      WSH
      1. Batherson, Drake
      2. Tkachuk, Brady
      Additional Details:
      either of these players would be high on my list if the Sens are willing to part with them

Brady = 17oa + Leonard?
      Batherson - 17oa + Cristall?

just a blueprint
      OTT
      Retained Salary Transactions
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the VGK
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the NYI
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the BOS
      Logo of the COL
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the CAR
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the CHI
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the VGK
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      Logo of the WSH
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      26$87,500,000$108,848,214$2,252,500$1,252,500-$21,348,214
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Washington Capitals
      $9,500,000$9,500,000
      LW
      M-NTC, NMC
      UFA - 2
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      C
      UFA - 4
      Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
      $8,700,000$8,700,000
      C, RW, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $5,750,000$5,750,000
      RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $1,300,000$1,300,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
      $5,750,000$5,750,000
      C, LW
      RFA - 2
      $6,500,000$6,500,000
      RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 7
      $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$445,000$445K)
      C
      RFA - 1
      Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $3,375,000$3,375,000
      RW, LW, C
      UFA - 5
      $775,000$775,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Ottawa Senators
      $4,975,000$4,975,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 3
      $1,900,000$1,900,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 2
      $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
      LW
      RFA - 2
      Logo of the Ottawa Senators
      $8,205,714$8,205,714
      LW
      UFA - 4
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $2,675,000$2,675,000
      LD/RD
      RFA - 2
      $8,000,000$8,000,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $5,250,000$5,250,000
      G
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $4,600,000$4,600,000
      LD
      UFA - 5
      $4,050,000$4,050,000
      RD
      UFA - 2
      $1,100,000$1,100,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $825,000$825,000
      LD/RD
      RFA - 1
      $3,000,000$3,000,000
      RD
      UFA - 2
      $814,167$814,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
      RD
      RFA - 2
      $775,000$775,000
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $2,062,500$2,062,500
      RD
      UFA - 1
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $9,200,000$9,200,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Apr. 29 at 3:29 p.m.
      Fully agree OP. I don’t see WAS and ANA trading because I think Leonard will be a must for ANA to make Z available, and I don’t think WAS will be willing to move Leonard for pretty much anything right now. Both totally understandable, both will need to look elsewhere to fill the holes in their lineups
      Apr. 29 at 3:33 p.m.
      Skip skibbity
      Anything with Leonard involved is a no go
      Sharpe_stick, qc14 and Jded liked this.
      Apr. 29 at 3:40 p.m.
      Once a Kings Fan Too
      When DeBrincat was traded at age 24, he got an early first (#7 = Leonard) plus an early second (#39 = clearly superior to the rest of the more recent deal). Zegras is one year younger.

That being said, I really don't expect you to trade us Leonard plus your 2024 second for Zegras.
      Caps fan idk why
      Quoting: BoringBrianMacLellan

Quoting: Jded
      Fully agree OP. I don’t see WAS and ANA trading because I think Leonard will be a must for ANA to make Z available, and I don’t think WAS will be willing to move Leonard for pretty much anything right now. Both totally understandable, both will need to look elsewhere to fill the holes in their lineups

Yeah i think the biggest issue for most Capital fans.... we want to be good but to get good players you need to move young players with high upside. If im a team with an elite level talent player im asking for Leonard
      GeneralLandro, OldNYIfan, Jded and 1 other person liked this.
      Through the Glass
      Quoting: BoringBrianMacLellan

I might consider Ryan Leonard for Brady TK but no one else.
      Capitalfail67 and Jded liked this.
      Apr. 29 at 3:41 p.m.
      This is the right list of guys to target but I think the values are way off. Never know if a guy is willing to move his NTC or not and if they are Washington is a great area -- management and locker room has great reputations, no jock tax in DC and fairly low taxes in VA (where almost every player lives), team just made the playoffs -- it's not a Winnipeg or Arizona that's on everyone's list.

They will not move Leonard for anyone, nor should they. As always, fans should actually look at recent trades for top line players and realize that Matthew Tkachuk aside, it's always incredibly underwhelming.
      Capitalfail67 and CaseyFlyman liked this.
      Apr. 29 at 3:42 p.m.
      Caps fan idk why
      Quoting: OldNYIfan
      When DeBrincat was traded at age 24, he got an early first (#7 = Leonard) plus an early second (#39 = clearly superior to the rest of the more recent deal). Zegras is one year younger.

That being said, I really don't expect you to trade us Leonard plus your 2024 second for Zegras.

no doubt. I just see a lot of people suggesting what they think is fair but if im the Capitals im using the most recent Debrincat trade BUT if im the Ducks im asking for Leonard. Capitals are the team in a rush to get good
      GeneralLandro, OldNYIfan and Jded liked this.
      Apr. 29 at 3:45 p.m.

DeBrincat was coming off of a 41 goal, 78 point season (while also being a very good play-driver). Zegras just had the same ppg as Hendrix Lapierre while being one of the worst defensive players in the league.
      GM_MZ_WSH liked this.
      Apr. 29 at 3:49 p.m.
      Caps fan idk why
      Quoting: qc14
      This is the right list of guys to target but I think the values are way off. Never know if a guy is willing to move his NTC or not and if they are Washington is a great area -- management and locker room has great reputations, no jock tax in DC and fairly low taxes in VA (where almost every player lives), team just made the playoffs -- it's not a Winnipeg or Arizona that's on everyone's list.

They will not move Leonard for anyone, nor should they. As always, fans should actually look at recent trades for top line players and realize that Matthew Tkachuk aside, it's always incredibly underwhelming.

Marner imo isnt waiving to go anywhere. He seems to be in love with Toronto. MT trade isnt really a direct comparable. He basically said trade me or im playing my last year of RFA and ill be a UFA after that
      Apr. 29 at 3:51 p.m.
      Once a Kings Fan Too
      DeBrincat was coming off of a 41 goal, 78 point season (while also being a very good play-driver). Zegras just had the same ppg as Hendrix Lapierre while being one of the worst defensive players in the league.

You don't think 99 assists in 210 games a year younger than DeBrincat indicates a play driver?

Zegras has a PPG of 0.73 despite having to include this injury-riddled season in his stats. Whatever are you talking about?
      GiggywithGibby liked this.
      Apr. 29 at 3:57 p.m.
      You don't think 99 assists in 210 games a year younger than DeBrincat indicates a play driver?

Zegras has a PPG of 0.73 despite having to include this injury-riddled season in his stats. Whatever are you talking about?

To be fair, he’s talking about this past season specifically. We Ducks fans know he was playing injured for all but the last 10 games of it (and was then a point-per-game center) but we probably can’t expect fans of other teams to have been watching the Ducks and know that. It’s hard enough for us to watch our on-ice product let alone someone who isn’t a fan on the East coast who’d be staying up until after midnight to finish a Ducks game 🤮
      Capitalfail67 liked this.
      Apr. 29 at 3:58 p.m.
      I'd move Laine for 17 OA + Cristall. Columbus probably sends a pick or two back to balance, or retains some. Quality pick + quality high-ceiling prospect coming back is pretty much spot on for what it would take to land Laine.

I like it for Washington too, you extend the window by getting younger, while getting scoring help now, and it could be a huge boom move if he can return to form (or at least stay healthy enough to play like he has in Columbus).
      Capitalfail67 liked this.
      Apr. 29 at 4:04 p.m.

PPG this season, not over his career. Play driving is not points, but "advanced" analytics like shot share, expected goal share, WAR metrics, etc. I like Zegras a lot and think he can still be a real superstar in this league, but he's a massive risk. Has only taken steps back since his breakout season 2 years ago and has yet to prove he's anything beyond a "someone has to score the points" guy on a very bad team.

Could he rebound and have a MacKinnon type career arc? Still possible. Could he also be a Will Butcher/Ty Smith/Brad Boyes start hot but never recover type? Also within the realm of possibility. I think the most likely career arc for him though is a Brock Boeser/Tyler Johnson type career. Start off strong but just sort of maintain that level and never really take a big step. Don't get me wrong that's still a great player, but not the kind you give up your top prospect who just had a historically good season in the NCAA for. He's worth the risk for the Caps specifically as a team IF the price isn't ridiculous.
      Apr. 29 at 4:17 p.m.
      Future Ducks legend
      Quoting: Capitalfail67
      no doubt. I just see a lot of people suggesting what they think is fair but if im the Capitals im using the most recent Debrincat trade BUT if im the Ducks im asking for Leonard. Capitals are the team in a rush to get good

The most recent DeBrincat trade is due to DeBrincat refusing to sign long term in Ottawa and with him about to turn UFA, he provided a SHORT list of teams he'd be willing to sign for term with, severely limiting any bidding war, this driving the value down.

Zegras is under contract for two more seasons and then has RFA rights after that, the first DeBrincat trade would be the comp, not the most recent one.
      Apr. 29 at 4:19 p.m.
      Sens won't move either. The Captain and heart of the team and the best value deal on the team.
      Capitalfail67 and athrin liked this.
      Apr. 29 at 4:33 p.m.
      Caps fan idk why
      Quoting: Claesson4Norris
      Sens won't move either. The Captain and heart of the team and the best value deal on the team.

i assumed they are untouchables. Batherson is a hidden gem
      TCMonkey liked this.
      Apr. 29 at 4:40 p.m.
      i assumed they are untouchables. Batherson is a hidden gem

He had a big bounce back this season, but he's still not close to the level he was at before that dirty hit from Aaron Dell. Dude was on a 90 pt pace on the terrible 2022 Sens before getting cheap shot by a goalie. Totally derailed his career. Getting a healthy Tim Stützle back should do wonders for him next season.
      TCMonkey liked this.
      Apr. 29 at 4:41 p.m.
      Future Ducks legend
      PPG this season, not over his career. Play driving is not points, but "advanced" analytics like shot share, expected goal share, WAR metrics, etc. I like Zegras a lot and think he can still be a real superstar in this league, but he's a massive risk. Has only taken steps back since his breakout season 2 years ago and has yet to prove he's anything beyond a "someone has to score the points" guy on a very bad team.

Could he rebound and have a MacKinnon type career arc? Still possible. Could he also be a Will Butcher/Ty Smith/Brad Boyes start hot but never recover type? Also within the realm of possibility. I think the most likely career arc for him though is a Brock Boeser/Tyler Johnson type career. Start off strong but just sort of maintain that level and never really take a big step. Don't get me wrong that's still a great player, but not the kind you give up your top prospect who just had a historically good season in the NCAA for. He's worth the risk for the Caps specifically as a team IF the price isn't ridiculous.

Even Elias Peterson and Nathan MacKinnon didn't improve their rookie stats the second year. MacKinnon took 5 seasons to reach his rookie numbers again.

The fact that Zegras improved (minority) his sophomore season despite the team around him being significantly worse was huge, and as a playmaker, he's elevating the players he's on a line with (the first two seasons of which he was often saddled with subpar talent like Nick Deslauriers and your own Sonny Milano)

This season was a 12 game skid then two injuries followed by an 11 game showing where he looked better than his old self, we have zero reason to suspect he's not going to take significant strides next season on the counting stats.
      Apr. 29 at 5:20 p.m.
      Quoting: GiggywithGibby
      Even Elias Peterson and Nathan MacKinnon didn't improve their rookie stats the second year. MacKinnon took 5 seasons to reach his rookie numbers again.

The fact that Zegras improved (minority) his sophomore season despite the team around him being significantly worse was huge, and as a playmaker, he's elevating the players he's on a line with (the first two seasons of which he was often saddled with subpar talent like Nick Deslauriers and your own Sonny Milano)

This season was a 12 game skid then two injuries followed by an 11 game showing where he looked better than his old self, we have zero reason to suspect he's not going to take significant strides next season on the counting stats.

Despite slightly increasing his point total, his playdriving took a big step back his sophomore year and his most common linemates were Henrique, Terry, Strome, and Vatrano. Injuries are uncontrollable but unfortunately do "count" and contributed to him once again taking a step back this year.

I literally said he could still have a MacKinnon-like career trajectory in my post. For every MacKinnon though there are 5 Brock Boesers. If I had to put money right now on which way Zegras' career will trend, I know which one I'm taking!
      Apr. 29 at 9:38 p.m.
      TVR, Iorio, Cristall, 2024 1st and 2025 2nd for Tkachuk
      Apr. 30 at 10:01 a.m.
      Skip skibbity
      Yeah i think the biggest issue for most Capital fans.... we want to be good but to get good players you need to move young players with high upside. If im a team with an elite level talent player im asking for Leonard

No that's fine to ask that and the logic is fine, but the Caps aren't really in a position where they are good enough to be shipping off their top prospect for a big fish player, ya know?

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll