SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Can Dobes be an NHL goalie

Mar. 16 at 4:42 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Nobody ever talks about him. We never consider him very much, but Jakub Dobes is quietly putting together a heck of a 2nd half of a rookie season in the AHL. I was looking at his stats the last 15 games, and other than one or two outliers, his numbers are stellar.

He had a rough start to his rookie campaign. The Rocket were awful at the start of the year and he was really thrust into a starter role before he was ready. But he really seems to have made the adjustment and is now dominant in net.

A 6' 4" goalie playing starter in the AHL in his rookie season. I think that's fairly rare.

Do you think he makes the NHL the year after next?
Mar. 16 at 7:44 a.m.
Reinbacher Josi 2.0
He can, doubt it will be with Montreal
jonh514 liked this.
Mar. 16 at 8:36 a.m.
Go Habs Go
I was often the one pointing out that he has the potential to be our next starter.
With Montembeault for 3 years and Fowler potentially ready soon after, I'm not sure how much opportunity Dobes will get, so he'll have to show well when he does get a chance.
If Montembeault and Primeau are consistent and healthy until Fowler is ready to play in the NHL, that chance may not come however.
jonh514 liked this.
Mar. 16 at 9:18 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Thanks for informing us about a Dobes a guy most fans haven't heard of.
The Leafs drafted goalie Hildeby, after being bypassed in for two years in the entry draft. First year in the AHL, and looks very good. Most Leafs fans think he a future long term Leaf.
Yep, you never know how late picks. especially among goalies will turn out.
Now that you let us know, I'll be following Dobes career .
jonh514 liked this.
Mar. 16 at 10:33 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: ricochetii
I was often the one pointing out that he has the potential to be our next starter.
With Montembeault for 3 years and Fowler potentially ready soon after, I'm not sure how much opportunity Dobes will get, so he'll have to show well when he does get a chance.
If Montembeault and Primeau are consistent and healthy until Fowler is ready to play in the NHL, that chance may not come however.

I think you are right, but it depends how Fowler looks when he takes the next step. Don't forget Fowler is "slightly" undersized for a modern goalie, but he competes better than most.

Don't forget, Habs also have Volokhin who is killing it in the MHL. It's been quite a while since we were so rich in Goalie prospects.
Mar. 16 at 10:34 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: palhal
Thanks for informing us about a Dobes a guy most fans haven't heard of.
The Leafs drafted goalie Hildeby, after being bypassed in for two years in the entry draft. First year in the AHL, and looks very good. Most Leafs fans think he a future long term Leaf.
Yep, you never know how late picks. especially among goalies will turn out.
Now that you let us know, I'll be following Dobes career .

Not sure if you're following Volokhin in the MHL, but that's another Habs goalie to watch. It's hard to tell with the MHL, but he might be the best of the bunch.
Mar. 16 at 10:49 a.m.
Rebuilding
Quoting: jonh514
Not sure if you're following Volokhin in the MHL, but that's another Habs goalie to watch. It's hard to tell with the MHL, but he might be the best of the bunch.

MHL is the worse league … VHL after then KHL
jonh514 liked this.
Mar. 16 at 10:59 a.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
Quoting: Habs_22_14_20

Sure. But his numbers are fantastic. 0.938 save percentage.
Mar. 16 at 1:08 p.m.
Rebuilding
Quoting: jonh514
Sure. But his numbers are fantastic. 0.938 save percentage.

Yes, but we can’t call him a stud yet
jonh514 liked this.
Mar. 16 at 1:19 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Habs_22_14_20

No the MHL isn't a worse league......it's a junior league. Voloklin will be 19 next month.
jonh514 liked this.
Mar. 16 at 1:40 p.m.
Rebuilding
Quoting: palhal
No the MHL isn't a worse league......it's a junior league. Voloklin will be 19 next month.

My bad, I wanted to precise that the order is KHL —> VHL —> MHL
palhal liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll