SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/New Jersey Devils

Why I am not buying Markstrom to NJD

Feb. 7 at 10:47 a.m.
Multiple outlets have linked a possible NJD trade for Jacob Markstrom lately, but its all based around speculation. Misguided speculation as most of the reporting has been around why this will not happen.

-- No one has said Fitzgerald called Conroy about Markstrom
-- Many have said Calgary is not trading him or not asking him to waive NTC
-- Many have said if Calgary does anything, it will be after season
-- Many have said NJD are unlikely to address goaltending until after season.
-- Many have said CGY would need to retain to complete a deal
-- Many have said CGY are not retaining
-- Many have said NJD are not fulfilling asking price (Nemec or Mercer)

ALL SIGNS POINT TO A TRADE ...NOT HAPPENING.

Yet, even in last day, people have been saying NJD has a package for a dman and goalie from Calgary.

----

Below are some of the recent clips so people can see how a rumor starts.

Here is cliffnotes version

1. Markstrom appears on one guys list.
2. Another guy says NJD needs goalie.
3. Another guy speculates a match.
4. Actual reporters say, essentially, Markstrom to NJD is not happening
5. Rumor mill says actual reporter links Markstrom to NJD

(Urgh!)

----

Sportsnet, "25 NHL trade candidates to watch two months from the deadline" (Jan 9)

Jacob Markstrom: Armed with a no-trade clause and two more years at $6 million on his contract, it’s a long shot to believe the 33-year-old could be on the move anytime soon. The Flames certainly have to decide how they’ll make room for their top prospect, Dustin Wolf, at some point this year. But the club would have to go into full rebuild mode to consider approaching the former Vezina finalist to see if he’d waive his trade protection. Returning to being a reliable puck stopper this year, there are certainly several contenders who would love to add an impact goalie like him. He would come at a huge price as the haul for him would be bolstered by the likelihood the Flames would have to retain a big chunk of his salary to make things fit. Despite the chatter, he’s an unlikely trade piece for this year’s deadline, even though L.A., Edmonton, Toronto and New Jersey would all like to upgrade their goaltending.

----

Lyle Richardson, Hockey News (Jan 12)

"Sportsnet included Markstrom on its list of 25 trade candidates to watch leading up to the March 8 NHL trade deadline.

"The Flames would have to retain a significant portion of Markstrom's cap hit, perhaps as much as half, to swing a deal. Convincing them to do so could cost an interested club at least a first-round pick, a top prospect or a good young NHL player in the deal. If Markstrom is willing to accept a trade to a contender, the earliest that could happen is in the offseason when teams have more cap space and a willingness to invest it in the trade market."

----

James Nichols, New Jersey Hockey Now (Jan 14)

"One of the Devils’ potential goaltending trade targets is going to be an unlikely purchase. Friedman explains it’s going to take a lot for the Calgary Flames to even entertain the idea of moving Jacob Markstrom. Unfortunately for the Devils, prospects and picks likely aren’t enough to make that happen. In terms of massive, that sounds like Dawson Mercer, Simon Nemec, plus more — in a potential trade to retrieve Markstrom which the Devils certainly won’t want to do."

----

Elliotte Friedman, 32 Thoughts (Jan 14)

“Number one, I don’t believe they’ve gone to him with anything, as in any possibility of what could happen. Number two he has a No-Move Clause. As Kelly Hrudey always argues, no one with a no-move clause should even be asked if they can be traded. From what I understand, Calgary has a very high bar here in terms of they’re not going to bother Markstrom with just anything. It would have to be something massive for them or somewhere they absolutely believe Markstrom would want to go before they would even consider going to him. I think that’s where things stand with Markstrom, the Flames, and anything right now.”

----

Eric Francis, Sportsnet (Jan 15):

"The Flames won’t even consider asking Markstrom to waive his no-trade clause before the March 8 trade deadline, unless the package being offered is overwhelming. The Flames are in a playoff race and certainly not planning to tear the team down to the studs, as some mistakenly believed. This organization wants to stay competitive, giving its youngsters a positive environment in which to keep growing, while chasing a playoff spot.

"If Markstrom’s tenure in Calgary is to eventually end via trade, it’s far more likely to happen in the summer than in the next few months.....The reality is, his value will likely never be higher than it will be in the off-season, when the cap rises and all the contenders that feel they need to add a proven goalie will have more time, cap space and assets to make a deal. ....They’d rather not discuss it at all, publicly, as there’s nothing to it right now."

----

Rob Couch, NHL Trade Rumors (Jan 16)

"Trade talks involving Jacob Markstrom have now been picking up steam as the goalie is playing stellar hockey for the Calgary Flames and the team is still outside of the playoff picture and ready to sell other assets. At no other time will Markstrom's value be this high, and the Flames just might take advantage of it. Acquiring Markstrom would give the team a strong three-year window and then they would hope to either have Akira Schmid or Nico Daws emerge as the next best option by then. James Nichols of New Jersey Hockey Now believes that the Devils have shown interest in Markstrom, but the asking price has been significant, as it should be. The Flames are believed to have asked for Simon Nemec or Dawson Mercer in return, both of whom the Devils do not want to part with yet.....If the teams get a deal done involving Markstrom, expect Mercer to be moved."

----

Peter Baugh, The Athletic (Jan 19)

"Markström has familiarity with Devils associate coach Travis Green, formerly the head coach of the Canucks. They went to a Calder Cup Final together with the Utica Comets in 2015, and Green relied heavily on Markström when Vancouver won a playoff series in 2020. That might not play into New Jersey’s thinking, but familiarity doesn’t hurt, especially considering that Markström has a no-movement clause. The Flames would expect a strong return if they’re going to move Markström, and the Devils would have to fit in his sizable cap hit for two seasons after this one."

----

Dave Pagnotta, 4th Period (Feb 1)

“A lot of eyes are on the Devils and what Tom Fitzgerald is going to do. Not just looking to upgrade the d-corps but also goaltending. Is now the time with all their injuries, and as they continue to battle for wildcard positioning is now the time to go out and get a goaltender. I think if the New Jersey Devils make a major move for a goaltender, it’s somebody with term. I think this is complicated to do now. And I think it might likely be better served as an offseason move, and you use all the injury bug this season as the excuse, a legitimate excuse, but still an excuse as to how the season kind of has gone and then you kind of go all in and into solidifying your crease in the summer unless something falls into their lap. We know they’ve reached out to Calgary. They have interest in both Tanev and Hanifin. Although I think they’ve been leaning towards the Hanifin approach."

----

Pierre LeBrun, The Athletic (Feb 1)

"Jacob Markstrom, who turned 34 on Wednesday, has got a full no-move clause and completely controls his future. But I do wonder now that his best friend on the team has been traded to Vancouver (which is a bit ironic given that it was Lindholm who helped convince Markstrom to leave the Canucks, spurn the Oilers and sign with the Flames in October 2020), how does he feel about things?

"Markstrom has two more years on his contract after this season at a $6 million AAV. I believe the Flames have had a few calls on him, but nothing serious. This feels like a June trade situation if there’s a trade at all. But again it’s worth asking, given the control the goalie has with his no-move, how does the Lindholm trade affect his mood moving forward?

"The goalie situation is pressing in New Jersey....Sources around the league say they do indeed keep calling around on goalies. And I don’t think they’re looking at rentals, either. That’s why Markstrom could be among those on their radar."

----

Kristy Flannery, Hockey News (Feb 1)

"In addition to bolstering their blue line, several reports have linked the Devils to Flames' goaltender Jacob Markstrom. At 34 years old, the netminder has the experience New Jersey lacks in net and could provide the stability the team desperately needs. The Devils have previously been trade partners with the Flames, most recently acquiring Tyler Toffoli in exchange for Yegor Sharangovich and a third-round pick. Thus far, it is a deal that has worked out for both sides, and as the trade deadline nears, New Jersey still has young players in their organization who could pique Calgary's interest, including Alexander Holtz."

----

Nick Natale, Last Word on Sports (Feb 4)

"Rumour: Pierre LeBrun links the New Jersey Devils with Jacob Markstrom AND Chris Tanev."

----

NHL Now (today)

"They have a Hanifin Markstrom package"
dgibb10 liked this.
Feb. 7 at 11:21 a.m.
Shaners79
You're a fast typer
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Feb. 7 at 11:24 a.m.
KFTW
Vanecek + Prospect + pick for Markstrom (1-2 mill retained) makes a ton of sense
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Feb. 7 at 11:38 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: csick
Vanecek + Prospect + pick for Markstrom (1-2 mill retained) makes a ton of sense

Honestly it does, Calgary should do right by Markstrom and send him somewhere he can compete for a cup and NJ needs a vet goalie.
Feb. 7 at 1:10 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist

It would but Calgary seems to want both A) an outrageous return, and B) to not retain under any circumstances

So without that retention the price drops significantly and I’m assuming they wouldn’t just take Vitek+Prospect
Feb. 7 at 2:26 p.m.

Agree…but both sides sound unlikely to do anything this season.
Feb. 7 at 2:26 p.m.
Quoting: Shaners79
You're a fast typer

* cut and paster
Feb. 17 at 3:12 p.m.
"The Flames are believed to have asked for Simon Nemec or Dawson Mercer in return, both of whom the Devils do not want to part with yet.....If the teams get a deal done involving Markstrom, expect Mercer to be moved."

Told you so... So many times I lost count. Couch wasn't the first one to have said Calgary wants Mercer as part of the return though he may have been the first to say it was Nemec or Mercer.
Feb. 17 at 3:35 p.m.
Quoting: MoxNix
"The Flames are believed to have asked for Simon Nemec or Dawson Mercer in return, both of whom the Devils do not want to part with yet.....If the teams get a deal done involving Markstrom, expect Mercer to be moved."

Told you so... So many times I lost count. Couch wasn't the first one to have said Calgary wants Mercer as part of the return though he may have been the first to say it was Nemec or Mercer.

That was a month ago!!!

No one has said Mercer or Nemec in last week (since news broke that the two teams were engaged)

It was possibly Holtz…they didn’t find a match…everyone moved on.
Feb. 17 at 4:12 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
That was a month ago!!!

No one has said Mercer or Nemec in last week (since news broke that the two teams were engaged)

It was possibly Holtz…they didn’t find a match…everyone moved on.

Reading comprehension I've repeatedly told you it wasn't in the last week it was a while ago. You just keep blindly denying Mercer was ever mentioned at all.
Feb. 18 at 1:19 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: MoxNix

And the link to this quote is from…

If I hear ****ing Nichols name I’m gonna burst out laughing
Mar. 7 at 11:00 a.m.
Markstrom is too much money. Gibson is too much money. We have one albatross over 30 making 6 million now in Palat. I hope we can buy him out.

We need to look at goalies like Vegas's back up, Dreidger in Seattle, and Ulmark.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll