SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed Auston Matthews (4 Years / $13,250,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 23, 2023 at 8:47 p.m.
Edited Aug. 23, 2023 at 8:58 p.m.
Quoting: NARC311
At least Ovi won a cup before his deal pal

And since signing that new deal the Caps will go 4 more years out of the playoffs and need to rebuild from scratch.

Because until Ovie retires the Cap will continue to be playoff pretenders when in reality they should be starting year 2 of the rebuild.

Also concerning that Ovie Stanley Cup, he was not the playoff MVP, Knutzy was easily the better player and I also remember Ovie did not get even 1 single shift during the last 10 minutes of the deciding Cup winning victory game.

Can't be too proud of that.
BigBallsBriere liked this.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 8:48 p.m.
NHL Insider
I just don’t understand how people can think this is a good deal with what Pastrnak just signed for.

What is the difference between Matthews and Pastrnak? Their position? Is that worth a 2million dollar pay bump with 4 years less term?

Honestly Pasta might be better than Matthews straight up. And that’s not to say Matthews isn’t a hell of a player.
M_Swann and V123 liked this.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 8:48 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Nowhere near as good a player as McDavid and Mackinnon yet he asks for significantly more. What a tool

signifigantly?

he;s making 700k more, and by the time Matthews deal kicks in McDavid will have signed his deal 6 years ago..

Matthews actually took less percentage of the cap than both McDavid and Mackinnon..

Quoting: Laudan
Embarassing

4 x 13,2M roughly translates into 8 x 17M

Imagine getting 1/3 higher AAV than McDavid for 1/3 less production ( in before homers come with "inflation argument" )

Never imagined i will have to give Chiarelli credit about being good GM, but anyone that touches Matthews just pushes that narrative higher.

50 Homers voted GOOD SIGNING already

what...?
Aug. 23, 2023 at 8:57 p.m.
Guess this is the end of the line for Nylander. Hopefully the Leafs can get good value for him in a trade. They have to go with picks and prospects because they need to dump money. IMO just too much money timed up in one player. With this commitment to Matthew’s and what they are going to have to do the be cap compliant I can’t see the team better this year over last. Hopefully, I’m wrong but they are really up against it. Gonna be interesting to see how GM handles it.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 9:00 p.m.
Quoting: beantownboy17
Get paid now, then sign a long deal in ARZ for a little less and make them relevant. Still won't win a cup with the Leafs

Then he'll be used to not winning especially after being a leaf for 12 years
Aug. 23, 2023 at 9:11 p.m.
NHL Insider
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
And since signing that new deal the Caps will go 4 more years out of the playoffs and need to rebuild from scratch.

Because until Ovie retires the Cap will continue to be playoff pretenders when in reality they should be starting year 2 of the rebuild.

Also concerning that Ovie Stanley Cup, he was not the playoff MVP, Knutzy was easily the better player and I also remember Ovie did not get even 1 single shift during the last 10 minutes of the deciding Cup winning victory game.

Can't be too proud of that.

Yea that shift part is just a blatant lie/you not remembering. And he won the Conn Smythe and scored 15 goals 🤣🤣

You think anyone cares if Kuznetsov “outplayed him”? they were linemates lmao

I guess every time Matthews gets outplayed by Nylander or Marner in the playoffs I’ll have to come back to this.
M_Swann liked this.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 9:39 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
And the Leafs got screwed by the flat cap through the last deals.
You play the cards you have - This is a great deal

yes, dont think a team suffered more than the leafs by the flat cap. But in the end they got ''lucky'' to save money over time on matthews deal.
Random2152 liked this.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 9:54 p.m.
MontrealCanadiensFAN
Am I the only one that thinks Toronto just missed a chance to change the culture?

Instead of sending a message and trading one of the core 4 for assets, they are handing them big contracts. I just don't understand why they believe in this core so much when they simply fail to show up year after year when it matters. They failed at sending a message and changing the culture imo.
Puckit, worldwidesensei, vbolshakov and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 10:33 p.m.
Canes hockey.
I would've liked it at 13 or under but that's about what I expected for him. If he stays close to 100 points or 50 goals then great contract, sucks that he still gets only 4 years. At least he's staying I guess. Matthews has to step it up this season though.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 10:37 p.m.
Yea that shift part is just a blatant lie/you not remembering. And he won the Conn Smythe and scored 15 goals 🤣🤣

You think anyone cares if Kuznetsov “outplayed him”? they were linemates lmao

I guess every time Matthews gets outplayed by Nylander or Marner in the playoffs I’ll have to come back to this.

NO, you remember wrongly, re watch the Cup deciding game, Ovie sat on the bench for the last 10 minutes.

Ovie scored 15 goals, wow...that's awesome, Knutzy had 12 goals that playoff year and a ton load more assists. SO Knutzy drove that scoring line.

Also every Leaf fan knows Marner drives the line he is on, Marner helped Kadri reach over 30 goals when they were line mates, Marner helped JT flirt with a 50 goal season that 1 season they were together and Marner helps Matthews to win the Rocket Trophy.

Those are the FACTS.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 10:38 p.m.
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
Next year, Toronto has ~$35 million locked up in three players. They 12 players signed for next season with ~$33 million left to sign the rest of the team, and that's with the cap going up by $4 million. They will be in cap hell for next season at which point they will lose half the team.

They need to resign liljegren and a starting tender (hopefully Sammy). Call that 8.5 mil

That gives them 3 of their top 4 signed, starter and back up goalie and their top 2 C's, top 2 ws and a 3w and their fourth line.

So they'll have 24.5 mil to sign 3 middle six wingers, a 3c and a top 4 defender and two bottom pairing defenders. Then maybe 1-2 healthy scratches. A couple of which will be prospects.

Call it 4 mil for the bottom pair defenseman together. That's 20.5 mil left

Then 3 prospects/cheap vets for about 2.5 mil for the 3rd line wing and healthy scratches. That's 18

Maybe Domi for 4 mil for 3c. That's 14 mil for 2 ws and and a top 4 dman. It's right but not crazy...
Aug. 23, 2023 at 10:57 p.m.
That's nice. But how does this affect the Leafs? squinty smile
Aug. 23, 2023 at 11:06 p.m.
yotes own canada
bad. similar to jaylen brown, gets record deal while being the second best player on the team and having some significant flaws
Aug. 24, 2023 at 12:04 a.m.
Quoting: MadLin27
W.
5 more years of Auston.
Reasonable cap hit too

Auston Shmauston.
Leafs are never ever ever gonna go deep in the playoffs with a guy who, yes CAN be a lethal scorer, but is in the end an overpaid unidimensional centerman who is, even at 1,25 pt a game, very FAR from being the league's MVP imo.
Doesn't make his team or linemates any better. Never performed in the playoffs.
Nuff said
retro liked this.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 12:10 a.m.
Quoting: mondo
four years hahahahaha

Leafs will never win a cup with this punk in their lineup.
This signing has "Rebuild in 4 years" written all over it.
Too bad, cause they have decent other players in their lineup wasting their careers and playoff hopes with him.
Should have traded him after his last playoff "performance"
retro liked this.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 12:19 a.m.
ButIActLikeIDid
With that cap hit 4 years just isn’t enough term. But hey, core four is fine with losing as long as they get their paycheck.
retro liked this.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 12:19 a.m.
Quoting: retro
Am I the only one that thinks Toronto just missed a chance to change the culture?

Instead of sending a message and trading one of the core 4 for assets, they are handing them big contracts. I just don't understand why they believe in this core so much when they simply fail to show up year after year when it matters. They failed at sending a message and changing the culture imo.

Couldn't agree more.
Although he can be a game changer, he is the utmost symbol of the toxic culture they choose to maintain in Toronto.
I pity their fans. Years of deception coming forth imo.
And you could see it coming from like, before last year's playoffs...
retro liked this.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 12:56 a.m.
As a BUF fan, I love thos deal. We will gladly pay Tage & Cozens combined about the same amount of money.

Leafs had their chance. They blew it. Pun intended.
retro, vbolshakov, triggerman and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 1:25 a.m.
Auston Matthews just left about $56M on the table today.

Good for him. I love a player with confidence and a chip on his shoulder.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 1:45 a.m.
Quoting: jr400
You're probably going to be right, depending on what happens with Nylander, but Matthews isn't the guy you get rid of to solve that problem. You get your best player signed, and you make adjustments elsewhere to make it work. This is a raise of only $1.6M, which is probably less than the amount the cap is going to go up, so if they can't afford to keep their core together, it's not because of this contract.

If 40% of the cap raise goes to one guy, then they will be in trouble.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 1:46 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
For those who say Matthews does not deserve to be the highest paid player should go look at the numbers

11 points. He doesn't perform where it counts the most.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 1:59 a.m.
Ioriomilkshake
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
NO, you remember wrongly, re watch the Cup deciding game, Ovie sat on the bench for the last 10 minutes.

Ovie scored 15 goals, wow...that's awesome, Knutzy had 12 goals that playoff year and a ton load more assists. SO Knutzy drove that scoring line.

Also every Leaf fan knows Marner drives the line he is on, Marner helped Kadri reach over 30 goals when they were line mates, Marner helped JT flirt with a 50 goal season that 1 season they were together and Marner helps Matthews to win the Rocket Trophy.

Those are the FACTS.

So, the fact is that goalscorers need a play driver by their side. Not really groundbreaking news. And I think Caps are pretty happy with their cup and Ovie winning the Conn Smythe. It's not like he didn't do anything to deserve it.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 2:01 a.m.
Quoting: CameronSquires
He carried the leafs in game 4 vs TBL

You are talking about 1st round. No, he does not give enough to the team. They will not win a cup while he is there
Aug. 24, 2023 at 2:23 a.m.
hes dynamite
all the money and all the years, or most of the money and some of the years. Toronto will never have the bargaining power with any player again
Aug. 24, 2023 at 3:53 a.m.
Happy for Toronto that he's signed. 4 years is still good. He'll be a leaf until at least 30 yrs old.
Question though:
When this contract finishes, is that when he goes for a max term contract to bring him to 38 years old?
If I were the leafs, I'd tell him hell no and offer him a 4 year contract just like this one. Dude will show long-term loyalty when it benefits him I'm sure.
M_Swann liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit