Forums/Armchair-GM

Really, this could work....

Created by: swinny
Team: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 17, 2017
Published: May 21, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Adding a couple vets to allow the next crop of youngsters to further develop with the Marlies (namely Shoshnikov, Kapanen, Liepsic and Leivo). They are gonna be good...... with Bozak, Komorov, and JVR off the books, they should be more confident, more than ready.

Additions of Beagle, Haula and bringing back Boyle give the Leafs 4 centreman that win better than 50% of their draws (along with Bozak). Should improve the team defensively and with improving possession.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
2$2,500,000
2$850,000
2$800,000
4$2,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
1$1,250,000
3$3,250,000
2$2,500,000
Trades
WSH
  1. Lindberg, Tobias
Additional Details:
Beagle will be exposed in the expansion draft. That's a given.

How does he fit in the with Leafs? Simple. Career face off winning % is 56%, that can produce some offense on the 4th line. Sure, some of you will say just bring back Boyle.... which is still an option. You never have enough depth down the middle folks.

Giving up Lindberg is a tough, but I feel that his top 6 potential is limited despite his size. Better options there with Leivo, Leipsic and Rychel, Bracco....etc. For Washington, he is a solid prospect that is expansion exempt.
TOR
  1. 2018 7th round pick (COL)
COL
  1. Lupul, Joffrey
  2. Marincin, Martin
Additional Details:
Just looking for some cap flexibility. Avs need to make basement, and I dont think that this class of UFA is going to so strong that I'd be all into it if I'm Sakic. Marincin is a queit but solid young blueliner that I think fits in there nicely.

Since you have to get something back, it's a 7th. Really..... what are you gonna do with a 7th? Boils down to a free player for the Avs and some money.
TOR
VGK
  1. Fehr, Eric
  2. 2018 4th round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Expansion pick with compensation for laying off the kids
TOR
    RFA rights Erick Haula
    MIN
    1. Gauthier, Frédérik
    2. Nielsen, Andrew
    Additional Details:
    Why Haula? One, he will be exposed in the expansion draft according to my projections. 2, he's only 26. 3. Again he can win faceoffs. 4. He can skate. 5. He can win faceoffs, and therefore can be a far more useful replacement for Bozak if and when he is moved.

Not only is he likely to be exposed, given the Wild's cap constraints, he will be equally difficult to keep in the fold.

Gauthier maybe a project, but he still is learning, and his size could make him a really good bottom 6 forward. Nielson is nothing spectacular either, but given the depth on the Wild blueline, they can take on a project there. Everything I have heard, Nielson looks like a Bryce Salvador type defenseman when all is said and done. Not a bad return if that what it is.
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$73,000,000$74,566,667$5,370,000$4,550,000-$1,566,667

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $4,250,000$4,250,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    C
    UFA - 2
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 4
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $2,950,000$2,950,000
    RW, LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $4,200,000$4,200,000
    C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 3
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 2
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 5
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $4,050,000$4,050,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 7
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    LD/RD, LW
    UFA - 4
    $750,000$750,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,450,000$1,450,000
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 21, 2017 at 3:12 p.m.
    Boo Hoo
    you seem like someone whos knows the game well. Im the head GM of Toronto in the GM game here on the site. Im looking for an assistant GM to help me with trades, scouting, lines, so on. Would you be interested? heres a link to the team so you can see what ive done so far and so you can see what changes youd like to make! comment back if you want the job or comment on my page!
    https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/55081/25
    May 21, 2017 at 4:49 p.m.
    Muraca17
    Your judgment on Nielsen is very far off man , watch a marlies game sometime. Not sure what person you "heard" say he was a Salvador defensive but that to it also very far off. Putting up over a half a point a game in your rookie season in the AHL for a dman is impressive alone not to mention 20 years of age and 6''3. If you take a look at the limited skilled dman in our system why on earth would to trade our best defensive prospect for a 4 line C? ...
    May 21, 2017 at 10:26 p.m.
    Quoting: Bman1004
    you seem like someone whos knows the game well. Im the head GM of Toronto in the GM game here on the site. Im looking for an assistant GM to help me with trades, scouting, lines, so on. Would you be interested? heres a link to the team so you can see what ive done so far and so you can see what changes youd like to make! comment back if you want the job or comment on my page!

No offense but if he "knows the game" he'd know that Leivo and Leipsic need to clear waivers to go to the Marlies (both will get claimed), and it's not likely at all that Sosh or Kap get sent down after their time in the NHL unless they have a poor training camp. The Leafs are also not deep at center or defense so trading a couple of their top prospects at each position doesn't make sense. I think you value faceoffs too much (I know Babs likes good faceoff guys so I won't be hard about that) . The signings are close to fair value but I'm not a fan of the Polak or Smith getting term.
    May 21, 2017 at 11:43 p.m.
    Leaf Fan for life
    My concern with this would be that the only change to the blue line appears to be parking 3.25M on the third pairing. With limited special teams exposure, this isn't the kind investment the Leafs need to be making.
    I can think of better options than Jay Beagle on the 4th line as well. Sosh or Kappy can handle that limited role and jump up to the third line if and when injuries occur.
    May 22, 2017 at 4:10 a.m.

Wow, you might wanna look for another AGM unless you guys plan on being the Burke and Nonis of this site. Your giving up a draft pick to get rid of a fourth line center in Fehr. Then you turn around and give up prospects to bring in two fourth line centers, poor asset management. So now the leafs are spending over 9 million on its 10-13 forward positions, poor cap management. BTW Nielsen put up 70 points in his last year of junior and 39 points as an AHL rookie. Bryce Salvador put up 40 points in his last year of junior and only 10 points in his first year of the AHL and he was a year older, in 3 AHL seasons he averaged 13 points/season when scoring in the AHL was 20% higher then it is now. Big difference in the way they play the game.
    Quoting: Saucingpizza11

No offense but if he "knows the game" he'd know that Leivo and Leipsic need to clear waivers to go to the Marlies (both will get claimed), and it's not likely at all that Sosh or Kap get sent down after their time in the NHL unless they have a poor training camp. The Leafs are also not deep at center or defense so trading a couple of their top prospects at each position doesn't make sense. I think you value faceoffs too much (I know Babs likes good faceoff guys so I won't be hard about that) . The signings are close to fair value but I'm not a fan of the Polak or Smith getting term.

See above.
    May 22, 2017 at 11:30 a.m.
    Quoting: Saucingpizza11

I value faceoffs to much? Bozak now becomes available for trade during the year, where a more affordable Haula (who is only 26) can fill in the 3rd line role. Long term thinking.

The Leafs last year had NO 4th line at all until Boyle got there. Think I fixed that problem in spades.

Of course the Leafs are not deep at centre. I bring in 3 guys that can win better than 50% of their faceoffs and this is questioned? Weird if you ask me. Wouldn't call Lindberg or Gauthier a top prospect by any means....

Valid point on Leivo and Leipsic...... didn't think about that at all. Shame on me. Food for thought for sure.
    May 22, 2017 at 11:31 a.m.
    Quoting: ODOG67
    My concern with this would be that the only change to the blue line appears to be parking 3.25M on the third pairing. With limited special teams exposure, this isn't the kind investment the Leafs need to be making.
    I can think of better options than Jay Beagle on the 4th line as well. Sosh or Kappy can handle that limited role and jump up to the third line if and when injuries occur.

My thought process is maxing their playing time with the Marlies as a number of contracts come of the books after this year. This is where they come in. Not disagreeing with what your saying. Just not sure 3rd or 4th line roles are great for their overall development.
    May 22, 2017 at 11:39 a.m.
    Quoting: muraca17
    Your judgment on Nielsen is very far off man , watch a marlies game sometime. Not sure what person you "heard" say he was a Salvador defensive but that to it also very far off. Putting up over a half a point a game in your rookie season in the AHL for a dman is impressive alone not to mention 20 years of age and 6''3. If you take a look at the limited skilled dman in our system why on earth would to trade our best defensive prospect for a 4 line C? ...

AHL and NHL are two different worlds......

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll