Forums/Armchair-GM

Trade value and potential trades

Created by: OldRedFox
Team: 2018-19 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 6, 2018
Published: Jun. 6, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Van/Chi - Chicago gets out from under an onerous contract and acquires a cheap RD that can play for them now.

Van/Tor - Tor gets a R/L D pairing that immediately addresses the lack of physicality on their blue line.

Van/Edm - Edm upgrades on D, a C that plays on the defensive side of the puck, a speedy winger with hands for McDavid. Allows the future trade of RNH.

Van/Car - Car needs young NHL ready offense, low impact to their roster/D corps.
Trades
VAN
  1. Seabrook, Brent
  2. 2018 1st round pick (CHI)
  3. 2019 1st round pick (CHI)
Additional Details:
2019 pick top 3 protected. Alternately 2019 2nd and 2020 1st.
CHI
  1. Laplante, Yan-Pavel
Additional Details:
Rights to RFA Stecher
VAN
  1. Liljegren, Timothy
  2. 2018 1st round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Rights to RFA Carrick
TOR
  1. Edler, Alexander
  2. Gudbranson, Erik
Additional Details:
TML extends Edler
VAN
  1. Klefbom, Oscar
  2. Puljujärvi, Jesse
  3. 2018 1st round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Goldobin, Nikolay
  2. Sutter, Brandon
  3. Tanev, Christopher
  4. 2018 7th round pick (VAN)
Additional Details:
$ 1,000,000.00 retained salary
CAR
  1. Biega, Alex
Additional Details:
Rights to RFA Baertschi and Granlund
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
19$75,000,000$44,965,681$852,847$4,282,500$30,034,319
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$650,000$650,000
LW
UFA - 1
$4,125,000$4,125,000
C
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$2,835,000$2,835,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, RW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 2
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 5
$745,000$745,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,800,000$2,800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
LD
UFA - 2
$657,500$657,500
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,650,000$2,650,000
RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 6, 2018 at 1:45 p.m.
This is not serious
I don't know if I'd trade stetcher, baertschi, biega and granlund without making some major signings. If you could split those up it probably helps even it out a bit.
Jun. 6, 2018 at 1:49 p.m.
Canucks
I left the signings up in the air deliberately. My preference would be short term signings that can be flipped at the TDL or trades closer to the season opener where more picks can be acquired for taking on a bad SHORT TERM contract. Even a waiver pick up might be palatable.
Jun. 6, 2018 at 2:02 p.m.
dbudz12
Hawks would not move that pick to get rid of Seabs contract. Bowman has said repeatedly that he doesn't feel pressure to move that.
palhal liked this.
Jun. 6, 2018 at 2:04 p.m.
Why would Edmonton do this?

Tanev: 2 more injury-riddled years then UFA
Sutter: older, more expensive and not as good as Ryan Strome
Goldobin: 23-year-old winger with a glimmer of hope
7th round pick: no hope at all!

- for -

Klefbom: young top-4 d-man
Puljujarvi: 20-year-old winger with good upside
1st round pick: top-drawer prospect
palhal liked this.
Jun. 6, 2018 at 2:05 p.m.
Chicago AGM
To me, none of these trades are really fair for both sides. Carolina says yes in a heart beat and hopes Vancouver doesn't change their minds, and the other deals the other teams laugh and hang up, even Chicago. Even though Seabrook is no where close to what he used to be, he is still a very serviceable NHL defenseman. Paying two first rounders (8th this year and possibly another top 10 next year) is WAY too much to give up. They don't really have significant cap problems anymore unless they want to go get a big fish or two like Tavares.
palhal liked this.
Jun. 6, 2018 at 2:08 p.m.
Canucks123
Garbage trade for us with Carolina...wouldn’t trade Baertschi straight up for that at all.
Jun. 6, 2018 at 2:14 p.m.
Banned
In what world would the Leafs make this trade

Liljegren will be as good or better then Edler ever was, in fact, I'd wager he may be better than him next season. Secondly why would the Leafs give up a 1st round pick for Gudbranson who could be the most overpriced defencemen in the NHL. Put it all together and Vancouver would drop close to 10 million in salary, get a 1st round pick and Liljigren would instantly be the teams top defensive prospect. What the Leafs get? A rapidly declining Edler who wouldn't make the top 3 on the left side defence (Rielly, Gardiner and Dermott would not lose their spots to Edler) and Gudbranson who is a way more expensive but equally shitty bottom pairing right handed defenseman (Roman Polak is the same player but way cheaper).

All of your trades are completely 1 sided and ridiculous. I'm surprised you didn't also sign Tavares for a 7 year league minimum.
palhal liked this.
Jun. 6, 2018 at 2:51 p.m.
Canucks
Quoting: LoganOllivier
In what world would the Leafs make this trade

Liljegren will be as good or better then Edler ever was, in fact, I'd wager he may be better than him next season. Secondly why would the Leafs give up a 1st round pick for Gudbranson who could be the most overpriced defencemen in the NHL. Put it all together and Vancouver would drop close to 10 million in salary, get a 1st round pick and Liljigren would instantly be the teams top defensive prospect. What the Leafs get? A rapidly declining Edler who wouldn't make the top 3 on the left side defence (Rielly, Gardiner and Dermott would not lose their spots to Edler) and Gudbranson who is a way more expensive but equally shitty bottom pairing right handed defenseman (Roman Polak is the same player but way cheaper).

All of your trades are completely 1 sided and ridiculous. I'm surprised you didn't also sign Tavares for a 7 year league minimum.

Liljegren is at least two years away and has a lot to learn about playing D, the fact that he would be Vancouver's best D prospect is more an indictment on their drafting. Liljegren is a good prospect, but not a blue chipper. Edler slots in at second pairing left side easily and unlike the other Leafs D can actually play defense. Edler played very well on a very bad team last year. Gudbranson is a guy the Leafs have had a lot of interest in and beats out Zaitsev all day long. Guddy is younger and skates better than Polak (doesn't everyone).
Jun. 6, 2018 at 3:01 p.m.
Canucks
Quoting: CD282
Why would Edmonton do this?

Tanev: 2 more injury-riddled years then UFA
Sutter: older, more expensive and not as good as Ryan Strome
Goldobin: 23-year-old winger with a glimmer of hope
7th round pick: no hope at all!

- for -

Klefbom: young top-4 d-man
Puljujarvi: 20-year-old winger with good upside
1st round pick: top-drawer prospect

Chiarelli.......Tanev becomes their best D man hands down. Klefbom may be a reach, but Edmonton was reportedly trying to trade him last year and appear to be unhappy with him. That being said one of the other over paid under performing D would suffice. Sutter is better overall than Strome, plays center, wins face offs, kills penalties not a comparison.
Jun. 6, 2018 at 3:08 p.m.
Canucks
Quoting: dbudz12
Hawks would not move that pick to get rid of Seabs contract. Bowman has said repeatedly that he doesn't feel pressure to move that.

Whats he going to say? I would wager that he would not dismiss a proposal like this out of hand. Seabrook is in a serious decline and six more years at almost 7M is hard to eat for a team that wants to contend. A young fast RD in return makes the cost much more palatable.
Jun. 6, 2018 at 3:09 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Leafs would have no interest in extending Edler as the Leafs are good at LHD. And Gudbranson is nothing special especially at price of the Leafs top prospect Liljegren. Gee, OldRedFox doesn't seem to know that much about the Leaf players. Liljegren is a teenager playing well in the AHL. Borgman, Dermot and Reilly. seem to good at LHD. And what is this about the Leafs defence can't play defence. 12th overall in GAA. 5th in Goals For, To add 9m for the out of place playoff Vancouver Dmen is easily a losing proposition for the Leafs. 9m can be spend a lot better without giving anything up in a trade.
Jun. 6, 2018 at 3:17 p.m.
Canucks
Quoting: palhal
Leafs would have no interest in extending Edler as the Leafs are good at LHD. And Gudbranson is nothing special especially at price of the Leafs top prospect Liljegren. Gee, OldRedFox doesn't seem to know that much about the Leaf players. Liljegren is a teenager playing well in the AHL. Borgman, Dermot and Reilly. seem to good at LHD. And what is this about the Leafs defence can't play defence. 12th overall in GAA. 5th in Goals For, To add 9m for the out of place playoff Vancouver Dmen is easily a losing proposition for the Leafs. 9m can be spend a lot better without giving anything up in a trade.

The Leafs D was utterly exposed in the playoffs, or did you miss that? I have watched Liljegren play in the A and he has certainly been OK, but Dermot is much much better to this point.
Jun. 6, 2018 at 3:21 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: OldRedFox
Liljegren is at least two years away and has a lot to learn about playing D, the fact that he would be Vancouver's best D prospect is more an indictment on their drafting. Liljegren is a good prospect, but not a blue chipper. Edler slots in at second pairing left side easily and unlike the other Leafs D can actually play defense. Edler played very well on a very bad team last year. Gudbranson is a guy the Leafs have had a lot of interest in and beats out Zaitsev all day long. Guddy is younger and skates better than Polak (doesn't everyone).

You are a typical Canucks homer, Guddy is the worst defenceman on a terrible team. He isn't worth the league minimum, neither is Polak. Zeitsev is Right Handed, younger and when healthy, better than Edler. Edler is older and declining and Rielly, Gardiner and Dermott are better than Edler, better skaters, better offensively and in the case of Rielly better defensively and better physically as well. Also I'd like to stress, Edler is declining, rather rapidly at that.

Liljigren, until he got Mono in his draft year, he was considered as the potential 2nd overall pick last year. He was an absolute steal, and yes he is a year or two away but still would instantly become the Canucks best defensive prospect. To give a team a top level prospect and a 1st round pick, you better be giving extreme value the other way. Your trade idea is basically the Canucks give up a tractor (Guddy) and an old beat up Toyota Corrola (Edler) for a Tesla (Unproven but high potential prospect) and a Concept Car (1st round pick that could become a huge winner). Tell me, in what universe does anyone ever do that?

The only trade TO makes with Vancouver is for Tanev.

And before you say Toronto offers up Marner, Matthews and 18 first round pics, the trade would be something like Tanev to TO for this years 25th pick or Tanev to TO for a 2nd and a prospect like Rosen or Borgman or something like that. Maybe two B level prospects and a 2nd. The Canucks just don't have much to offer and what they do have isn't as good as other options. (There are safer, better or less expensive options available for right handed defencemen.)
Jun. 6, 2018 at 3:34 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
The Leafs D was utterly exposed in the playoffs, or did you miss that? I have watched Liljegren play in the A and he has certainly been OK, but Dermot is much much better to this point.

Utterly exposed in the playoffs? Well as noted earlier, the Leafs defence was good enough to make the playoffs. Well Gardiner certainly was in game 7 but he isn't going be a Leaf in 2019/20, maybe even sooner. To think Elder and Gudbranson are the panacea to solving the Leafs problems, well that ain't true. I would expect Dermot to be better than Liljegren wouldn't you, Dermot is 28 months older and has played in both the AHL and NHL. Liljegren is playing in his first year in North America as a junior aged player which I believe there are three in the AHL. By your comments, Liljegren isn't worth trading for, so maybe another NHL team might be necessary to acquire those two stalwarts of the Canucks defence Elder and Gudbranson.
Jun. 6, 2018 at 3:37 p.m.
Canucks
You are a typical Canucks homer, Guddy is the worst defenceman on a terrible team. He isn't worth the league minimum, neither is Polak. Zeitsev is Right Handed, younger and when healthy, better than Edler. Edler is older and declining and Rielly, Gardiner and Dermott are better than Edler, better skaters, better offensively and in the case of Rielly better defensively and better physically as well. Also I'd like to stress, Edler is declining, rather rapidly at that.

Liljigren, until he got Mono in his draft year, he was considered as the potential 2nd overall pick last year. He was an absolute steal, and yes he is a year or two away but still would instantly become the Canucks best defensive prospect. To give a team a top level prospect and a 1st round pick, you better be giving extreme value the other way. Your trade idea is basically the Canucks give up a tractor (Guddy) and an old beat up Toyota Corrola (Edler) for a Tesla (Unproven but high potential prospect) and a Concept Car (1st round pick that could become a huge winner). Tell me, in what universe does anyone ever do that?

The only trade TO makes with Vancouver is for Tanev.

And before you say Toronto offers up Marner, Matthews and 18 first round pics, the trade would be something like Tanev to TO for this years 25th pick or Tanev to TO for a 2nd and a prospect like Rosen or Borgman or something like that. Maybe two B level prospects and a 2nd. The Canucks just don't have much to offer and what they do have isn't as good as other options. (There are safer, better or less expensive options available for right handed defencemen.)

Typical Leaf homer LOL!! Every Leaf prospect is the next coming of Gretzky or Bobby Orr. Comparing Gardner to Edler is ridiculous, completely different players. Dermot probably will be better than Edler, but he isn't yet.
Gardner is nightmare on the blueline and thats just reality. The fact is D men are expensive to acquire in todays NHL. Hamonic cost Calgary a 1st and 2 2nds, what makes you think Tanev ( a much better d man IMO) goes for the cheap shiny baubles you offer up?? Dream on sunshine!! IF Tanev goes to the Leafs its for a 1st and a GOOD prospect (Grundstrom, Liljegren) at least.
Jun. 6, 2018 at 3:40 p.m.
Canucks
Quoting: palhal
Utterly exposed in the playoffs? Well as noted earlier, the Leafs defence was good enough to make the playoffs. Well Gardiner certainly was in game 7 but he isn't going be a Leaf in 2019/20, maybe even sooner. To think Elder and Gudbranson are the panacea to solving the Leafs problems, well that ain't true. I would expect Dermot to be better than Liljegren wouldn't you, Dermot is 28 months older and has played in both the AHL and NHL. Liljegren is playing in his first year in North America as a junior aged player which I believe there are three in the AHL. By your comments, Liljegren isn't worth trading for, so maybe another NHL team might be necessary to acquire those two stalwarts of the Canucks defence Elder and Gudbranson.

All I said was the Liljegren was NOT a blue chip prospect, but was a good prospect. No need to get your panties in a knot.
Jun. 6, 2018 at 3:53 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
All I said was the Liljegren was NOT a blue chip prospect, but was a good prospect. No need to get your panties in a knot.

So what is Liljegren isn't a blue chipper, Elder and Gudbranson certainly aren't and they cost 8m more than Lijegren who is a Marlie next year. Fact is the Leafs time line to "win" is not next year. In 2018/19 I would expect the Leafs lineup to have about eight rookies or near rookies in the lineup. Grundstrom, Johnson, Kapanen, Aaltonen, Dermot, Borgman, Ozchikov, and Sparks. And with 10m in cap space even with all their RFAs signed, performance bonuses paid, there is room for UFA improvement without trading.
Jun. 6, 2018 at 4:05 p.m.
Banned
I think the trade with Edmonton is the most hilarious of all these trades.

You could argue each piece being sent to the Canucks is more valuable than all the pieces combined going the otherway.

Tanev is less than the 10th overall pick
Klefbom is greater than Tanev
JP is a 4th overall pick from 2 years ago, even though he has had some trouble adjusting to North America, he's miles ahead in value compared to everyone coming from Vancouver in this trade.

I'm surprised this guy didn't suggest Vancouver trade Horvat and a 4th for McDavid and Draisaitl and Edmonton's 1st round picks for the next 14 years.
Jun. 6, 2018 at 4:23 p.m.
Banned
Typical Leaf homer LOL!! Every Leaf prospect is the next coming of Gretzky or Bobby Orr. Comparing Gardner to Edler is ridiculous, completely different players. Dermot probably will be better than Edler, but he isn't yet.
Gardner is nightmare on the blueline and thats just reality. The fact is D men are expensive to acquire in todays NHL. Hamonic cost Calgary a 1st and 2 2nds, what makes you think Tanev ( a much better d man IMO) goes for the cheap shiny baubles you offer up?? Dream on sunshine!! IF Tanev goes to the Leafs its for a 1st and a GOOD prospect (Grundstrom, Liljegren) at least.

I don't disagree that Tanev costs a first if he goes to TO, but it won't be much beyond that. TO just won't do it. You just don't give up a top prospect unless you either have a legit chance to win the cup or if you are getting a top prospect in return. This trade offers none of that, TO gives up the future for 2 older shittier players. A 1st for a 28 year old injury prone defenceman is a great return, especially when you consider that there are 4 other RD's available that are better and I'm not even considering Doughty or Karlsson as options.

As for Gardiner, he would immediately be the best offensive defenseman on the Canucks, he'd lead them in points and increase their offence and transition game in a big way. Yes he is as soft as they come along the boards and makes some really stupid plays but you don't score 50 points from the Blue Line if you are complete garbage. If anything Canucks fans should want him and all his warts. The Leafs don't need his offence anymore cause Dermott will be as good if not better within a year or two and Liljigren could be better than Dermott in the near future. So they can sacrifice the offence. Liljigren, if he were to be traded, would be part of a deal for Trouba who is lightyears ahead of Tanev as far as value is concerned. (Also don't get me wrong about my admiration of Tanev, I really like him and would pay a tad over market value for him, I just see market value in a reasonable sense. He isn't an elite defencemen and a non elite player is not worth an elite prospect which Liljigren is.)

In closing, while you make some good points about certain players, your trade is a joke .
Jun. 6, 2018 at 4:33 p.m.
Chiarelli.......Tanev becomes their best D man hands down. Klefbom may be a reach, but Edmonton was reportedly trying to trade him last year and appear to be unhappy with him. That being said one of the other over paid under performing D would suffice. Sutter is better overall than Strome, plays center, wins face offs, kills penalties not a comparison.

All three assets are a reach, TBH.

Tanev is a good defenceman but I would argue Nurse and Larsson are better, not that I have time to go into the numbers right now. My point was that despite Tanev's ability, he's only available about half the time because he's constantly injured. That's not something I'm giving up prime young assets for.

Sutter is NOT better than Strome (I'll demonstrate below), Strome ALSO plays center, Strome ALSO kills penalties (5.93 GA/60 vs 7.52 for Sutter). The only area Sutter is better is face-offs, but then Edmonton could sign someone like Vermette (best face-off guy in the league) for about $1M to play 4C and Sutter is redundant.

5v5, 2017-18
Strome // Sutter
50.66 CF% 43.26
50.50 FF% 44.37
49.85 SF% 44.12
47.06 GF% 52.17
0.993 PDO 1.020

Strome scores at 0.47 points-per-game through his career, Sutter 0.39. If you compare points-per-60 that gap widens.
Jun. 6, 2018 at 5:40 p.m.
dbudz12
Whats he going to say? I would wager that he would not dismiss a proposal like this out of hand. Seabrook is in a serious decline and six more years at almost 7M is hard to eat for a team that wants to contend. A young fast RD in return makes the cost much more palatable.

I would "wager" that he is absolutely going to say no to that. If anything, the Hawks are no longer backed into a corner with the salary cap. It is not desperate for them to get rid of the contract and that is 100% a desperate trade.
Jun. 6, 2018 at 5:44 p.m.
Canucks
I don't disagree that Tanev costs a first if he goes to TO, but it won't be much beyond that. TO just won't do it. You just don't give up a top prospect unless you either have a legit chance to win the cup or if you are getting a top prospect in return. This trade offers none of that, TO gives up the future for 2 older shittier players. A 1st for a 28 year old injury prone defenceman is a great return, especially when you consider that there are 4 other RD's available that are better and I'm not even considering Doughty or Karlsson as options.

As for Gardiner, he would immediately be the best offensive defenseman on the Canucks, he'd lead them in points and increase their offence and transition game in a big way. Yes he is as soft as they come along the boards and makes some really stupid plays but you don't score 50 points from the Blue Line if you are complete garbage. If anything Canucks fans should want him and all his warts. The Leafs don't need his offence anymore cause Dermott will be as good if not better within a year or two and Liljigren could be better than Dermott in the near future. So they can sacrifice the offence. Liljigren, if he were to be traded, would be part of a deal for Trouba who is lightyears ahead of Tanev as far as value is concerned. (Also don't get me wrong about my admiration of Tanev, I really like him and would pay a tad over market value for him, I just see market value in a reasonable sense. He isn't an elite defencemen and a non elite player is not worth an elite prospect which Liljigren is.)

In closing, while you make some good points about certain players, your trade is a joke .

And there is the difference, a late 1st rounder and a good prospect is easily market value for a D of Tanev's stature. I don't see Liljegren as elite, good but not elite. Gardner is a one dimensional piece. On a rebuilding Canucks team he is of less than no use at all. To get Trouba, you are talking Nylander to start, but that's just my opinion.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll