SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

The Maddening Inconsistency of the DoPS

Jan. 19, 2018 at 4:09 p.m.
I can't be the only person that's driven crazy by this. In case anyone isn't familiar, Dustin Brown just got a $10K fine for this hit on Justin Schultz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HQjgssqtpg

A fine? Seriously? In what world is that hit less egregious than the one that got Andrew Cogliano a 2 game suspension?
Jan. 19, 2018 at 4:12 p.m.
Quoting: mtdavis311
I can't be the only person that's driven crazy by this. In case anyone isn't familiar, Dustin Brown just got a $10K fine for this hit on Justin Schultz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HQjgssqtpg

A fine? Seriously? In what world is that hit less egregious than the one that got Andrew Cogliano a 2 game suspension?

They wanted to ruin the streak..
Jan. 19, 2018 at 5:36 p.m.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ducks-cogliano-suspended-two-games-hit-kings-kempe/

Principal point of contact? That and it wasn't Browns fault that Shultz was losing his feet? Brown did appear to let up a little? Brown looked more sorry after the hit?....... I dunno man
Jan. 19, 2018 at 5:45 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: Jimmybooboo
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ducks-cogliano-suspended-two-games-hit-kings-kempe/

Principal point of contact? That and it wasn't Browns fault that Shultz was losing his feet? Brown did appear to let up a little? Brown looked more sorry after the hit?....... I dunno man

The Brown hit? I don't see that a Schultz "losing his feet". The feet were lost long before Brown decided to drive him into the boards. You don't hit a player in that position.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 5:58 p.m.
Quoting: AK_tune
The Brown hit? I don't see that a Schultz "losing his feet". The feet were lost long before Brown decided to drive him into the boards. You don't hit a player in that position.

Sorry yeah *lost. I'm trying to play devils advocate here.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 6:00 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: Jimmybooboo
Sorry yeah *lost. I'm trying to play devils advocate here.

Oh my bad. Yeah it's a tough one to justify. I know the game is fast but that seemed like a clear decision to finish that hit, kind of a bonehead move.
Rangsey liked this.
Jan. 19, 2018 at 6:14 p.m.
Quoting: AK_tune
Oh my bad. Yeah it's a tough one to justify. I know the game is fast but that seemed like a clear decision to finish that hit, kind of a bonehead move.

On top of that, he cross checked him, and you can clearly see that he extends his arms with the stick to make the cross check AFTER Schultz is down.
Jan. 22, 2018 at 11:13 a.m.
While I am a Kings fan, I will try to leave all bias aside here. If you watch the Brown hit, Brown had no intention of hitting the head. The NHL (and all sports for that matter) are trying to ensure the safety of each player's head a lot more now and I do believe that because Brown did not hit him in the head, he did not get suspended. Now onto the Cogliano hit, it was to the head and that is part of the reason he did get suspended. Comparing the two hits side by side, Brown's hit was just as dirty as Cogliano's, but Brown's hit came as/right after Schultz had gotten rid of the puck, while Cogliano waited a solid 1-2 seconds after the puck was passed until hitting Kempe. Also you have to take into account that Cogliano got 2 minutes for his hit, while Brown got 5 minutes and was ejected. Again, trying to put no bias into this because Brown's hit was dirty as well, but I do think the main reason that Brown was not suspended and Cogliano was is because of the contact to the head with Cogliano's hit and no head contact with Brown's hit.

This has nothing to do with the paragraph above, but I also think Malkin should have received something for spearing Brown in the man's area, to agree with the inconsistency of the DoPS.
Jan. 22, 2018 at 1:20 p.m.
I'm a Skatman
Quoting: rmay50
While I am a Kings fan, I will try to leave all bias aside here. If you watch the Brown hit, Brown had no intention of hitting the head. The NHL (and all sports for that matter) are trying to ensure the safety of each player's head a lot more now and I do believe that because Brown did not hit him in the head, he did not get suspended. Now onto the Cogliano hit, it was to the head and that is part of the reason he did get suspended. Comparing the two hits side by side, Brown's hit was just as dirty as Cogliano's, but Brown's hit came as/right after Schultz had gotten rid of the puck, while Cogliano waited a solid 1-2 seconds after the puck was passed until hitting Kempe. Also you have to take into account that Cogliano got 2 minutes for his hit, while Brown got 5 minutes and was ejected. Again, trying to put no bias into this because Brown's hit was dirty as well, but I do think the main reason that Brown was not suspended and Cogliano was is because of the contact to the head with Cogliano's hit and no head contact with Brown's hit.

This has nothing to do with the paragraph above, but I also think Malkin should have received something for spearing Brown in the man's area, to agree with the inconsistency of the DoPS.

sorry, that Brown hit should be 4-6 games. history, needless crosscheck from behind into the boards while the opponent is on his knees.

reckless, dangerous, unnecessary, dirty. get him out.
awatt liked this.
Jan. 22, 2018 at 2:08 p.m.
Quoting: rmay50

The contact Brown made wasn't directly to the head, but the end result was driving Schultz face first into the boards. Just as dangerous of a concussion risk, as well adding the risk of neck injury, etc.
awatt liked this.
Jan. 24, 2018 at 7:12 a.m.
Buchnevesey
Alright now that’s twice in a week a kings player should have been suspended... Brown got a fine and Clifford got nothing on his Smith hit, but Cogliano got 2? Wth?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll