Forums/Armchair-GM

Just Be Smart - please read description

Created by: MattyMadden28
Team: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 15, 2017
Published: Oct. 15, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
PLEASE READ and let me know what you think in the comments below.

I think the leafs have a real opportunity to set themselves up for what should be a long window of contending with a few trades. The main issue that most will have with these moves come from a fear of taking action that could make the team possibly worse this year. It’s easy to fall victim to short sighted motives when the team could contend for the cup. It’s also easy to make short term decisions by staying the course for one year rather then making a move for the future that could be blamed for potentail failure (this year not winning the cup). But the leafs could possibly take one step back this year and two steps forward for the next 10 yrs or status quo this year and two steps back next yr and beyond.

So what’s obvious that they need to shore up for the long term. Most people would say D but I’d say they need a number 2/3 C with size skill and plays well on both sides of the puck. These are hard to find and ufas cost to much. They do need another D however but they likely need a top pair D and will likely have to try and draft one as they rarely get traded and if they are established they cost a lot. And that’s probably all they need. So where can they get this player and what can they afford to trade.
Well looking around the league and at next yrs UFA list (Barring an unlikely signing of Tavares or Turris with both costing way to much anyway) here’s what I see as possible for a trade.

First, who has a possible good young C that has a surplus of established Cs. The C would have to be ready to play or close and that team would need to take a winger (optimally) in return.

Calgary have Mark Jankowski in the minors with Monahan Backlund and Bennett down the middle.
They have a need for skilled RWers as lazar is on their top RW and the need to sign Jagr is indicative of the lack of RW depth.
Toronto has Kapanen in the minors who looks ready to play. He also could be on of the fastest players in the league and is 3 yrs younger then Jankowski. Due to Jankowski’s valuable position at C and size I added Bracco who also could be a steal of a player in a few years. The leafs taking a shot on Jankowski could be a great gamble even if it costs two promising younger prospects. Jankoski is big skilled and only 23. And the leafs look set at RW for a while.

Leafs top 3 Cs would be:
Matthews 20yrs 6’3 215lbs Franchise ELC x2
Kadri 26yrs 6’0 195lbs Two-way 4.5x5
Jankowski 23yrs 6’5 220lbs Two-way ECL x1

This trade doesn’t have to happen this year but I’d argue that making this trade allows the Leaf more flexibility for the future by moving Bozak for futures. So who needs Bozak. Who needs a 2/3C rental for youth and picks. Who’s going for it. Looks like Pittsburg checks those boxes. There are three reasons that make aquiring Bozak a no brainer for Pitt. They currently have mckegg as a 3C and that’s not going to cut it if they want to threepeat. They would love to add a cheap 3C (Bozak at 2M) that has chemistry with kessel. They can afford the return with Murray being young (gusto) their firsts being very late (they just traded a first for reeves) and their window is now. They may also be able to resign Bozak for cheap. I added Jvr as well which is not a minor addition obviously. Jvr could is another player that will likely not resign here and adding more punch to this trade could ramp up the value coming back. Adding jvr and Bozak would most certainly help Pitt contend for a third Stanley Cup. Toronto adding Hagelin (4mil next yr too) as a salary dump gives them more speed and a penalty killer without hurting there cap situation as they can afford him next yr. Two late firsts, a second round goalie prospect and another second round scoring prospect with high upside but potential issues and a salary dump isn’t asking for a ton but is probably fair. It gives the leafs a chance to use those assets for young cheap future players or package them up for fill other needs now (on D perhaps).

Also added a little trade last minute. Getting Myers (6’5 200+ RHD) to free Leivo and move on from a decent D in Carrick. These are expendable assets but could help philly compete this year as they look to win with their Best Forwards aging. They have a solid enough young D core to move one of them (especially getting one back in Carrick who’s 22 and plays now)
Trades
TOR
  1. Gustavsson, Filip
  2. Hagelin, Carl
  3. Sprong, Daniel
  4. 2018 1st round pick (PIT)
  5. 2019 1st round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. Bozak, Tyler ($2,000,000 retained)
  2. van Riemsdyk, James ($2,000,000 retained)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$75,000,000$66,970,000$5,370,000$6,970,000$8,030,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$2,950,000$2,950,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 2
$1,875,000$1,875,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 5
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
G
UFA - 2
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Does moving Bozak and/or Jvr make sense?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Oct. 15, 2017 at 11:51 p.m.
So let me get this straight... The leafs are trading a guy who averaged a PPG in the minors, was a 1st rounder 3 years ago and will with out a doubt be a top 9 forward next season + a player who could very easily be a top-6 forward as anyone who watched could say he looked dominant in the last memorial cup for someone who got drafted 5 years ago and has played 1 NHL game. That same player can't make Calgary which has far less offensive depth than Toronto. The leafs get no better and lose 2 of their top 5 prospects in the process, it doesn't seem like that trade is helping build for the future like you said the plan was. Remember Nylander and Marner are both natural C's, and one of them is expected to eventually take that #2 role and have Kadri slot in at #3.

The Pittsburgh trade favours Toronto too much for 2 rentals, and with saying that I highly doubt Toronto would say yes. I don't think they have any intention of moving anyone on expiring contracts as they believe they have the chance to contend this year. I would love for them to be trade for assets but it just won't happen.

Why would the leafs trade Carrick+ for Myers? Myers isn't a proven pro and if he ever makes it, it would be a long time before he's an NHLer. The leafs just create more issues surrounding their defensive depth and were doing Leivo and the Flyers a favour they don't deserve. Carrick is a solid bottom pairing NHLer, there is no 2 ways about it.
Oct. 16, 2017 at 12:30 a.m.
VeryLeafy
Quoting: CameronLeafs
So let me get this straight... The leafs are trading a guy who averaged a PPG in the minors, was a 1st rounder 3 years ago and will with out a doubt be a top 9 forward next season + a player who could very easily be a top-6 forward as anyone who watched could say he looked dominant in the last memorial cup for someone who got drafted 5 years ago and has played 1 NHL game. That same player can't make Calgary which has far less offensive depth than Toronto. The leafs get no better and lose 2 of their top 5 prospects in the process, it doesn't seem like that trade is helping build for the future like you said the plan was. Remember Nylander and Marner are both natural C's, and one of them is expected to eventually take that #2 role and have Kadri slot in at #3.

The Pittsburgh trade favours Toronto too much for 2 rentals, and with saying that I highly doubt Toronto would say yes. I don't think they have any intention of moving anyone on expiring contracts as they believe they have the chance to contend this year. I would love for them to be trade for assets but it just won't happen.

Why would the leafs trade Carrick+ for Myers? Myers isn't a proven pro and if he ever makes it, it would be a long time before he's an NHLer. The leafs just create more issues surrounding their defensive depth and were doing Leivo and the Flyers a favour they don't deserve. Carrick is a solid bottom pairing NHLer, there is no 2 ways about it.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.
About Jankowski. Honestly he might not be a top 9 C but honestly from what I see and heard he is likely to be a solid nhl C. Still a risk but he’s one I’d take. He took a while to develop but he was drafted knowing that it would take time for him to get into the NHL. He also put up a point a game in the A and I saw that he was one of the better centers in the league. At 6’5 220-230 with loads of skill. He also got sent down due to a numbers game like Kapanen. Kapanen is great but where does he play. Same with Bracco. We need a C now (or next year anyway) and Marner is not an nhl C and although Nylander CAN play C if still keep him with Matthews on W and get a better stronger player that you want mucking it up down low.

The Pitt trade is fair. Maybe it’s just Bozak for gusto and a first but it’s fair either way. I know it won’t happen for all of the reasons I mentioned in the description. But I would do it.

And Myers trade was just another idea. Your right Carrick is a 5’10 young depth D. But he’s only a Depth guy. The leafs have better options already so who cares. Leivo is the guy we will probably lose for nothing anyway but he has value so that’s why he’s included too. Myers ‘could’ be a solid top 4 guy soon. He looked great with team Canada, probably there best D, who were filled with first round D prospects. He’s another big guy at 6’5 can skate and has some decent offensive upside. He’s a gamble I’d take.

If you prefer sure things then why don’t we trade all of our picks for proven players? Why not? Because you need top talent (potentially) that is cheap. And you shouldn’t be afraid to make moves and trade expendable (but still valuable obviously) assets to improve the team LT when this teams window is probably for the next 10 years.
Oct. 16, 2017 at 9:56 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Certainly you could almost throw away any chance of making the playoffs this year. Is that would Leafs management want for their development of their young players?
Trading three NHL regulars....Bozak, JVR and Carrick, for one. Hagelin. F@@@ing marvellous for this year. Even at that I'm not sure if the Pens make the deal either.
As much as folks often fall is love with own prospects, you have fallen in love with two prospects. Jankowski and Myers. If Myers is as good as you say, the Flyers won't trade him. If he's just a prospect, I'd rather have Carrick for this year. Here's your quote "About Jankowski. Honestly he might not be a top 9 C " So you're calling him a 4th line centre, and you want trade Kapanen and Bracco for him? Awful.
Oct. 16, 2017 at 10:59 a.m.
VeryLeafy
Hey pal. Always nice to hear from you.
I don’t think this hurts our chances of making it at all. With the fire power they have it’s the team defense that will probably be the difference and both Bozak and jvr add little there. It’s possible obviously but I think they still make it. Also I would still rather MAYBE miss the playoffs this year and add good young promising players to fill holes rather then miss the playoffs for sure the next year when we get nothing for Bozak and jvr when they walk and have big holes to fill. Jvr is defensively weak. Bozak would be replaced by Jankowski and no I’m not saying he’s not a top 9 guy but he still is unproven at the NHL level. It’s possible he won’t pan out but I think it’s likley he’s at least a solid nhl center. The truth is it’s easy to say that a prospect is unproven so he WONT pan out but that’s the gamble. I’ve seen enough to know he’s probably better then Bozak this year but if not he definitely better then the nothing the leafs will have for Bozak next year. Myers is still young and yes maybe the flyers would prefer to gamble on Myers over the sure thing in Carrick. But Carrick is replaceable by the young Swedes now and Leivo isn’t getting a shot so why not get something for him. Obviously I don’t know what these organizations think of each player but I think each deal is fair and serves a purpose.
Oct. 16, 2017 at 12:46 p.m.
It blows my mind you think think that PIT trade is fair. Gustavsson is probably the better of the PIT goalie prospects, Sprong is currently averaging a goal a game and over a point a game which is a pace he won't keep but you get an idea for how good this kid is gonna be. To top it of you and 2 first round picks which would probably be some pace between 25-31, and one of the fastest players in the league who so far seems to be rebounding after a poor year. And what are they getting in return? Rentals. Maybe they keep one player, but not both. Not a chance this happens for Pittsburgh. Doesn't matter how you try to rationalize it, at the end of the day the value of this trade is totally lopsided
Oct. 16, 2017 at 1:30 p.m.
VeryLeafy
You must have loved a first rounder for reeves then lol. Listen, I get it. You think a rental is not worth anything. But two players with proven chemistry with kessel and that are 50-60 pt players. They both each deserve at least a first (late one) and a prospect. Pitt don’t have many good prospects so adding anyone else doesn’t make sense. With Murray being so young I don’t think putt would care about including gusto and sprong looks real good but don’t pretend he doesn’t have issues. There is a reason he slid in the draft. And I think pitt has very little chance at a third cup with the forward lineup they have. And no one is trading a top 6 C and LW at 2mil each for future around the league. That’s also why this trade probably won’t happen.
Oct. 16, 2017 at 1:58 p.m.
I think Pitts would be ill-advised to trade a good chunk of there future for two rentals that they for sure won't resign this year. Maybe one but two is way too dangerous. I think JVR is worth a 1st and a ok prospect at the deadline. Bozak is the one I think wouldn't garner as much. Teams are getting smart. Rentals don't win you cups and the prices for them are really over inflated for what they do.

I think you are overvaluing Jank. Kid still could be good but its not something you want to trade two solid prospects for. He may end up being a bust too. He's inching close to it. This was supposed to be the year for him. They chose Jagr instead....... AHL scoring is nice and all but there are plenty of players who score in the AHL but can't convert in the NHL. Jank may or may not be that type of player.

As for Myers, I think considering where Philly is, they would gain more from keeping Myers an extra year and then moving him for lesser but immediate help. Carrick doesn't do much for them and they already are stacked with young blueliners that are coming up in the next couple years as is. Plus Leivo would end up playing on the 4th line in Philly.Maybe 3rd if he's lucky. This trade doesn't help them really. Its helps Toronto.
Oct. 16, 2017 at 3:22 p.m.
VeryLeafy
Quoting: F50marco
I think Pitts would be ill-advised to trade a good chunk of there future for two rentals that they for sure won't resign this year. Maybe one but two is way too dangerous. I think JVR is worth a 1st and a ok prospect at the deadline. Bozak is the one I think wouldn't garner as much. Teams are getting smart. Rentals don't win you cups and the prices for them are really over inflated for what they do.

I think you are overvaluing Jank. Kid still could be good but its not something you want to trade two solid prospects for. He may end up being a bust too. He's inching close to it. This was supposed to be the year for him. They chose Jagr instead....... AHL scoring is nice and all but there are plenty of players who score in the AHL but can't convert in the NHL. Jank may or may not be that type of player.

As for Myers, I think considering where Philly is, they would gain more from keeping Myers an extra year and then moving him for lesser but immediate help. Carrick doesn't do much for them and they already are stacked with young blueliners that are coming up in the next couple years as is. Plus Leivo would end up playing on the 4th line in Philly.Maybe 3rd if he's lucky. This trade doesn't help them really. Its helps Toronto.

All fair points. GMs do pay way to much for rentals. But Pitt is in need of a C right now. I’d say if they had the cap space they would probably have traded for one by now. Losing Bonino hurt them for sure. So maybe it’s just Bozak for a first plus. I’d still do it. And Jankowski could still not pan out. Just like every other player who has not established themselves. The age thing doesn’t bother me. I was a doubter on him early but he has shown to be a quality player that should be worth the risk. Calgary would have liked to have kept him up in the lineup but had to send him down due to the numbers game. I don’t fault him for that. And both Kapanen and Bracco are also just prospects. And the idea of swapping a RWer for a big C that should be able to come in and play now is a risk I’d take. Kapanen is younger but he’s not a guarantee to be anything more then a checker at this point either. And with brocco, even if he pans out, will kiley not have a place to place with Nylander Marner and Brown loading up the right side.

I agree with your philly points. It was really just a thought in a guy I’d love to get and some peices that have value that should be used in a trade. But I agree Philly would likely stand pat on that trade.

Thanks for the reply. Great feedback on this post.
Oct. 16, 2017 at 6:02 p.m.
Quoting: MattyMadden28

About Jankowski. Honestly he might not be a top 9 C but honestly from what I see and heard he is likely to be a solid nhl C. Still a risk but he’s one I’d take. He took a while to develop but he was drafted knowing that it would take time for him to get into the NHL. He also put up a point a game in the A and I saw that he was one of the better centers in the league. At 6’5 220-230 with loads of skill. He also got sent down due to a numbers game like Kapanen. Kapanen is great but where does he play. Same with Bracco. We need a C now (or next year anyway) and Marner is not an nhl C and although Nylander CAN play C if still keep him with Matthews on W and get a better stronger player that you want mucking it up down low.

The Pitt trade is fair. Maybe it’s just Bozak for gusto and a first but it’s fair either way. I know it won’t happen for all of the reasons I mentioned in the description. But I would do it.

And Myers trade was just another idea. Your right Carrick is a 5’10 young depth D. But he’s only a Depth guy. The leafs have better options already so who cares. Leivo is the guy we will probably lose for nothing anyway but he has value so that’s why he’s included too. Myers ‘could’ be a solid top 4 guy soon. He looked great with team Canada, probably there best D, who were filled with first round D prospects. He’s another big guy at 6’5 can skate and has some decent offensive upside. He’s a gamble I’d take.

If you prefer sure things then why don’t we trade all of our picks for proven players? Why not? Because you need top talent (potentially) that is cheap. And you shouldn’t be afraid to make moves and trade expendable (but still valuable obviously) assets to improve the team LT when this teams window is probably for the next 10 years.

Despite what many think, I think the leafs don't really need many more moves for the next 10 years. Develop within, a limit trades as much as possible unless the player is a pending UFA and unaffordable.
With Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Brown, Kapanen, Kadri, Bracco as guys who are imo for sure roster players for the next 5-10 years. Then guys like Aaltonen, Brooks, Soshnikov, Grundstrom, Johnsson all adding depth, with of course future draft picks and free agent signings providing more depth.
On the back end the Leafs will have Reilly, Zaitsev, Liljegren, Dermott, Nielsen, Carrick, Borgman and Rosen. Dermott and Liljegren have the ceiling of a #1D, its unlikely they become one but they have the potential, Reilly and Zaitsev have proven their top pairing D, although not a #1, Nielsen and Borgman have potential to be 2nd pairing guys and Carrick and Rosen are depth guys who have an off chance of sliding into the top 4.
Andersen, Pickard and Kaskisuo in net is also no issue.

I used to think like you, I didn't want to trade to win right now, I wanted to trade what we have for picks to develop more. I think the thing I disagree with for you is aside from the Pittsburgh trade the leafs have no clear cut benefit. The leafs lose players with extremely high potentials for players that are "risk's".

Jankowski could probably be acquired for a 3rd rounder or even a player like Komarov who can help their winger depth instead of giving up our 3rd and 5th most valuable prospects. Myers also looks promising, but that puts a big hole in the leafs lineup for the next 2-3 seasons until Myers can step in an be an every day contributor.
Oct. 16, 2017 at 7:44 p.m.
VeryLeafy
Quoting: MattyMadden28

Despite what many think, I think the leafs don't really need many more moves for the next 10 years. Develop within, a limit trades as much as possible unless the player is a pending UFA and unaffordable.
With Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Brown, Kapanen, Kadri, Bracco as guys who are imo for sure roster players for the next 5-10 years. Then guys like Aaltonen, Brooks, Soshnikov, Grundstrom, Johnsson all adding depth, with of course future draft picks and free agent signings providing more depth.
On the back end the Leafs will have Reilly, Zaitsev, Liljegren, Dermott, Nielsen, Carrick, Borgman and Rosen. Dermott and Liljegren have the ceiling of a #1D, its unlikely they become one but they have the potential, Reilly and Zaitsev have proven their top pairing D, although not a #1, Nielsen and Borgman have potential to be 2nd pairing guys and Carrick and Rosen are depth guys who have an off chance of sliding into the top 4.
Andersen, Pickard and Kaskisuo in net is also no issue.

I used to think like you, I didn't want to trade to win right now, I wanted to trade what we have for picks to develop more. I think the thing I disagree with for you is aside from the Pittsburgh trade the leafs have no clear cut benefit. The leafs lose players with extremely high potentials for players that are "risk's".

Jankowski could probably be acquired for a 3rd rounder or even a player like Komarov who can help their winger depth instead of giving up our 3rd and 5th most valuable prospects. Myers also looks promising, but that puts a big hole in the leafs lineup for the next 2-3 seasons until Myers can step in an be an every day contributor.

Thanks for the reply. I agree that the leafs don’t need to make many more moves to be competitive for the future. But if it is believed that Bozak won’t be resigned and Nylander stays on the W then we have a young team that is ready to compete but with a massive hole down the middle. Any ufa is going to be to expensive and if we don’t use our expiring guys (like you also suggest) then we will have to trade young players or picks. Most guys who are established will cost a bit both in a trade and contract. A guy like Jankowski could sign for cheap. And he’s 23.

You suggest that the leafs don’t benefit from Jankowski as he’s unproven but do is Kapanen and Bracco. So it’s really just a C for RW to balance out our positional prospect depth.
I also think Calgary really like Jankowski and would be reluctant to trade him at all. He’s worth more then a 3rd.

And losing Carrick would only hurt us now if there were lots of D injuries. Myers could be a stud.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit