SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed Jani Hakanpää (2 Years / $1,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mon. at 6:19 p.m.
and proud of it
So Toronto snagged 2 former Dallas Stars? Heck yeah!
Mon. at 6:53 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyManiac95
So Toronto snagged 2 former Dallas Stars? Heck yeah!

3rd, just wait for the Lundkvist, 3rd Rd pick for Robertson, Liljgren and 5th Rd pick trade to get announced.
Mon. at 6:53 p.m.
Jinx god
I hate to bearer of bad news, but it’s really obvious some of you guys have never watched a minute of this guy play. Horrible player.

He may be tall and big, but he does not hit whatsoever (number is extremely inflated, divide it by 5 and it’s the actual number of decent hits he does). The only reason he blocks shots is because he’s a liability on the ice, he’ll cause so many headaches from the countless times he costs goals. I’m hoping he isn’t full time cuz if he is, Leafs fans will want to kill him half way through the season.
Mon. at 8:12 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Jarnkrok does not perform in playoffs and he was not great this year

Keefe and Dubas are gone and he does not scream Berube guy

Trade him and replace him with someone like Leason

I wouldn't hold this year's playoffs against him because he was just coming off the injury, and I thought he had a good run with Nashville early in his career that caught my attention, but that was a long time ago and I think you're right that he hasn't done much since then despite being in the playoffs every year. Given that the playoffs have been the Leafs' biggest problem, if they can replace him with a proven playoff performer for a similar cap hit, that would be a good trade.
Mon. at 8:13 p.m.
and proud of it
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
3rd, just wait for the Lundkvist, 3rd Rd pick for Robertson, Liljgren and 5th Rd pick trade to get announced.

Lol
Mon. at 8:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: jr400
I wouldn't hold this year's playoffs against him because he was just coming off the injury, and I thought he had a good run with Nashville early in his career that caught my attention, but that was a long time ago and I think you're right that he hasn't done much since then despite being in the playoffs every year. Given that the playoffs have been the Leafs' biggest problem, if they can replace him with a proven playoff performer for a similar cap hit, that would be a good trade.

If they can get rid of him and replace him with 2cheaper but similar guys thats fine

As said before he aint a berube guy

Lot of interesting guys werent qualified target 2 of them
Mon. at 10:08 p.m.
Grumpy Gorilla
I like the signing. The big question relates to the health of his knees. Hopefully they did their homework. I read an article that said it was bone on bone in his knee and that their is a risk that his career is over. Hopefully this is not the case.
jpsnow13 liked this.
Tue. at 4:03 a.m.
Great sign. Hakanpää is one of NHL best PK players. Dallas was missing him in the playoffs badly. Bit sad to see that Dallas wasnt able to re-sign him and did use more money to Lyubushkin
Tue. at 4:45 a.m.
Reilly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren
Hakanpaa is the 7th

Hakanpaa is big and physical, (not a fighter though), but he is not an above average 3rd pairing guy. But a 34 yr old and two 32 yr olds?

Nice to see TOR actually paying attention to their defense for a change, but not convinced on the goaltending or scoring depth
Tue. at 9:29 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Quoting: DangleCat
Wow is this a good signing from Tre???? I did not know he could do that lol.

Quoting: CameronSquires
LETS GO I LOVE HAKANPAA

We have too many dmen now tho lol?

He was one of my top targets this FA I'm so happy we got him

Quoting: Brad_Treliving
Physical force. Great add

Quoting: Orr28
I like it. 6'5 dman is always a good thing.

Solid third pairing defenseman. He didn't play for Dallas in the playoffs this year, but I don't know if that's because he was hurt or the acquisition of Tanev made him surplus. I think he was a bit of a late bloomer -- he didn't stick in the NHL until he was around 28 -- but maybe that means it'll take him longer to decline too. 2 years at $1.5M is a pretty low risk in any case. This could turn out to be the best of Toronto's four defenseman signings in terms of value.

Your comments are funny because you are hyped about a player with no knees. Strait to Robidas Island.
DangleCat liked this.
Tue. at 11:16 p.m.
Cowan Season
Quoting: jpsnow13
Your comments are funny because you are hyped about a player with no knees. Strait to Robidas Island.

If this is regarding the report by Steve Simmons… I’d wait till an actual report came out thing elbow
Wed. at 2:49 a.m.

I just saw Steve Dangle talk about this and he might never play again.

Did they sign him just to LTIR him?
Wed. at 7:41 a.m.
Mr.Hockey
apparently he won't play again
Wed. at 8:27 a.m.

I wasn’t aware of that. If it’s true then I don’t know why they would have signed him. If you know about it, Leafs management must know too.

No real harm done if he goes on LTIR anyway. If he’s the only player they have on LTIR and he prevents them from accruing cap space, they can trade him to a team that’s trying to reach the floor or one that is already using LTIR to exceed the cap.
Yesterday at 12:09 p.m.

Did not see the stuff about his knee when I commented.....I should have known there would a catch lmao.
Yesterday at 6:29 p.m.
torontos finest
I wasn’t aware of that. If it’s true then I don’t know why they would have signed him. If you know about it, Leafs management must know too.

No real harm done if he goes on LTIR anyway. If he’s the only player they have on LTIR and he prevents them from accruing cap space, they can trade him to a team that’s trying to reach the floor or one that is already using LTIR to exceed the cap.

Quoting: DangleCat
Did not see the stuff about his knee when I commented.....I should have known there would a catch lmao.

steve simmons is the only guy whose brought up the "never playing again" thing. he's not totally trustworthy.

also to note that toronto hasn't officially announced the signing and he's not listed on the leafs roster on the website.
2 hours ago
Quoting: mondo

also to note that toronto hasn't officially announced the signing and he's not listed on the leafs roster on the website.

Maybe they made the signing conditional on him passing a medical examination.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit