SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #6: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Cup

May 1 at 8:20 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Rangsey
Who's gonna have more yips in game 7. Toronto with all larger baggage or Boston with the more recent baggage?

*If* there's a game 7, then Toronto
May 1 at 8:37 a.m.
Boston shambles/60 trending up.
Rangsey liked this.
May 1 at 9:50 a.m.
NYR vs CAr is gonna be an unreal playoff series
May 1 at 9:55 a.m.
lottery team fan
the lore of playoff hellebuyck when?
May 1 at 10:23 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Wanna see why I say Goalies are silly geese

Connor Hellebuyck is in the Vezina conversation and will probs win it

60 games 2.39 GAA and a 0.921SV

Jets got eliminated tonight and in those 5 games

5.23GAA and a 0.864SV

And here's the kicker at the TDL WPG spent

1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th for a 5 playoff games run

Quoting: CantStopWontStop
The jets allowed 14% of the goals they allowed during the entire season in 5 games in round 1.

From the lowest goals against in the entire league to this is really hard to process.

And Hellebuyck was arguably one of their best players in that whole series, he made tons of great saves and hardly any of the goals were cheap ones.

The Jets D blew it big time; and not just the blueliners, their whole team D fell apart after the 2nd period of game 1 and only came back for the first half of game 5. Colorado's speed, transition, and relentless forechecking attack just had them scrambling and the scoring came in bunches that demoralized the Jets. Josh Morrissey was about the only consistent threat for them.
CantStopWontStop liked this.
May 1 at 11:21 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: SnakeDelilah
the lore of playoff hellebuyck when?

Play American's if you want to make it to the playoffs, play Canadian's if you want to win the cup
May 1 at 12:52 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Quoting: Leafsfan98
1-8 in their last 9 home games

Have to figure it out... PP is obviously another factor

And Matthews has to come back

Lets see

Issue is if Matthews comes back for Game 6 - Sheldon will change the lines, and I’d argue:

Bertuzzi - Domi - Marner
Cannot be broken up after last game.

Generated a lot of offence and good both ways: and Domi was phenomenal in the dot (which again I’ll always say it, faceoffs matter no matter what anyone else says).

And it’s hard to move Knies and Tavares apart after they both made smart plays for the game winner (Knies drives the net off a line change perfectly and Tavares doesn’t care about his own foot speed, he made the best play available to him).

I saw some Leafs Twitter discuss

Bert - Domi - Marner
Knies - Matthews - Nylander
Robertson - Tavares - Whomever
4th Line
Scratch Reaves

But I’d personally say I liked Holmbergs game and I’d run this to allow Matthews to not have to work as hard/ kill himself:

Bert - Domi - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Holmberg - Matthews
4th Line

Scratch Reaves

This way Matthews gets unique matchups but idk “playing him against” Geekies line will be good with the hard hitting.
May 1 at 1:03 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: yikes
Issue is if Matthews comes back for Game 6 - Sheldon will change the lines, and I’d argue:

Bertuzzi - Domi - Marner
Cannot be broken up after last game.

Generated a lot of offence and good both ways: and Domi was phenomenal in the dot (which again I’ll always say it, faceoffs matter no matter what anyone else says).

And it’s hard to move Knies and Tavares apart after they both made smart plays for the game winner (Knies drives the net off a line change perfectly and Tavares doesn’t care about his own foot speed, he made the best play available to him).

I saw some Leafs Twitter discuss

Bert - Domi - Marner
Knies - Matthews - Nylander
Robertson - Tavares - Whomever
4th Line
Scratch Reaves

But I’d personally say I liked Holmbergs game and I’d run this to allow Matthews to not have to work as hard/ kill himself:

Bert - Domi - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Holmberg - Matthews
4th Line

Scratch Reaves

This way Matthews gets unique matchups but idk “playing him against” Geekies line will be good with the hard hitting.

I think no matter where Matthews is in the lineup, he's going to get the Coyle matchup

So Robertson+Holmberg+Matthews would be better than Knies+Matthews+Nylander

Robertson-Matthews-Holmberg
Bert-Domi-Marner
Knies-JT-Willy
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves (Need to keep Reaves in to settle the rats)
yikes liked this.
May 1 at 1:06 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
I think no matter where Matthews is in the lineup, he's going to get the Coyle matchup

So Robertson+Holmberg+Matthews would be better than Knies+Matthews+Nylander

Robertson-Matthews-Holmberg
Bert-Domi-Marner
Knies-JT-Willy
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves (Need to keep Reaves in to settle the rats)

Sounds right.

I’m just very worried Keefe may not identify the value of keeping Mitch as the lead dog right now.

He started Woll too late imo and if he breaks up the lines it’ll be even more worrisome.
May 1 at 1:12 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Sounds right.

I’m just very worried Keefe may not identify the value of keeping Mitch as the lead dog right now.

He started Woll too late imo and if he breaks up the lines it’ll be even more worrisome.

Matthews is the lead dog...

The point of having 4 stars over 3 lines is to have a pick your poison type scenario... The only downside is they've never had all 3 stars healthy to run that strategy

This is also Woll's net until Game 6
Saskleaf liked this.
May 1 at 1:19 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Matthews is the lead dog...

The point of having 4 stars over 3 lines is to have a pick your poison type scenario... The only downside is they've never had all 3 stars healthy to run that strategy

This is also Woll's net until Game 6

Matthews is visibly “bad” not because he’s a bad player right now, he just obviously hurt/ somethings wrong.

Part of “out coaching” the other team involves identifying who’s hot. Just like Tampa when they won their cups, they’d never just play Stamkos or Kucherovs or Points lines because they’re the best players. They often would give their Third Line massive assignments because they were playing so well.

This doesn’t mean Matthews isn’t the LEAD dog. But he’s not THE Matthews you need him to be. Putting Matthews back on Line 1 / breaking up Mitch’s line would mean you as a coach believe Matthews is the top dog right now. And he’s arguably not close to being your top dog.

It’s not a slight to him, it just means riding who’s hot.

Right now Mitch has responded well to the massive criticisms, and spotlight. And he helped ensure game 6 is a reality.

Let him being your top dog right now, cause that’s partially why you pay him so much.

Just like Keefe starting Woll too late imo, if he breakups Mitch right now, he’s making another poor decision in my eyes.
May 1 at 1:28 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Matthews is visibly “bad” not because he’s a bad player right now, he just obviously hurt/ somethings wrong.

Part of “out coaching” the other team involves identifying who’s hot. Just like Tampa when they won their cups, they’d never just play Stamkos or Kucherovs or Points lines because they’re the best players. They often would give their Third Line massive assignments because they were playing so well.

This doesn’t mean Matthews isn’t the LEAD dog. But he’s not THE Matthews you need him to be. Putting Matthews back on Line 1 / breaking up Mitch’s line would mean you as a coach believe Matthews is the top dog right now. And he’s arguably not close to being your top dog.

It’s not a slight to him, it just means riding who’s hot.

Right now Mitch has responded well to the massive criticisms, and spotlight. And he helped ensure game 6 is a reality.

Let him being your top dog right now, cause that’s partially why you pay him so much.

Just like Keefe starting Woll too late imo, if he breakups Mitch right now, he’s making another poor decision in my eyes.

Even then... He had a ton of opportunities in Games 3 and 4... Including 14 hits over that span

And I agree... The Bert-Domi-Marner line is working... That's why I'd want to see Matthews take Line 1 responsibilities and get that line some L2 or even L3 coverage, think they could prosper on the oppurtunity...

Move on to Game 6 and hope Matthews comes back so they have these options
May 1 at 7:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Hurricanes need to put up and pay Brind'Amour what he wants

No more being cheap

As you can just see it he's gonna walk and there will be teams waiting in the mist to give him exactly what he wants

Like if TOR dont go on a run they will be the heavy favourites if CAR cant get an extension in place
May 1 at 7:32 p.m.
Hurricanes need to put up and pay Brind'Amour what he wants

No more being cheap

As you can just see it he's gonna walk and there will be teams waiting in the mist to give him exactly what he wants

Like if TOR dont go on a run they will be the heavy favourites if CAR cant get an extension in place

Seattle seems like a top spot for him also
May 1 at 7:32 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 1 at 7:46 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Seattle seems like a top spot for him also

I dont see them outbidding TOR

As lets be real if TOR is looking for a HC and if he's available its almost a guarantee what happens next unless he chooses himself not to come

But idk I think TOR if the playoffs dont go there way will be waiting and Babcocks deal will no longer be the biggest thats for sure lul
May 1 at 7:45 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
I dont see them outbidding TOR

They will have interest but lets be real if TOR is looking for a HC and if he's available its almost a guarantee what happens next.

They gave Babcock one of the biggest coaching contracts in NHL history, if Brind’Amour was available we got a new winner lul

I think you’re underestimating the Brind’Amour -Francis connection and how much money Seattle has
HockeyScotty liked this.
May 1 at 7:46 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I think you’re underestimating the Brind’Amour -Francis connection and how much money Seattle has

Money talks though and if TOR is sitting there with a Babcock or 10m offer idk if Brind'Amour would reject it

Like the main reason he would leave CAR is money thats what were getting from the majority of reports.

Sure he may know Francis but he's not leaving for the sake of leaving there be factors in play and I dont see SEA outbidding TOR if they really want this guy

Plus he gets to coach Matthews big bonus wink
May 1 at 7:51 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan

Money talks though and if TOR is sitting there with a Babcock or 10m offer idk if Brind'Amour would reject it

Like the main reason he would leave CAR is money thats what were getting from the majority of reports.

Sure he may know Francis but he's not leaving for the sake of leaving there be factors in play and I dont see SEA outbidding TOR if they really want this guy

Plus he gets to coach Matthews big bonus wink

I think relationships, organizational structure and system alignment matter much more than people realize for HC
A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 1 at 7:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 1 at 8:06 p.m.
I think relationships, organizational structure and system alignment matter much more than people realize for HC

But remember Brind’Amour does not want to leave Carolina just to leave or cause of organizational setup. Issue right now is they are not meeting his asking price and so he may have 0 choice but to go fine im going to market

Sure those also apply but it seems the main disagreement is how much is being offered to him. CAR really got to stop being so cheap its gonna really cost em.

With TOR being hungry for a cup and not having a big window, if they once again drop the ball Keefe's 100% gone and I could see a new coach super deal tying or beating the previous Babcock one

Like if TOR offered 10m x 5 years to him would be pretty stupid to reject dont yah think. Plus get to coach Matthews added bonus
May 1 at 9:57 p.m.
But remember Brind’Amour does not want to leave Carolina just to leave or cause of organizational setup. Issue right now is they are not meeting his asking price and so he may have 0 choice but to go fine im going to market

Sure those also apply but it seems the main disagreement is how much is being offered to him. CAR really got to stop being so cheap its gonna really cost em.

With TOR being hungry for a cup and not having a big window, if they once again drop the ball Keefe's 100% gone and I could see a new coach super deal tying or beating the previous Babcock one

Like if TOR offered 10m x 5 years to him would be pretty stupid to reject dont yah think. Plus get to coach Matthews added bonus

Everything I've heard is it's more about his assistants and their job security/compensation.
May 1 at 10:00 p.m.

Not saying TOR wouldn't be a top contender either. It's just that "job security" is a top factor; and likely the roster construction/ development system. Treliving and his team; the scouts; etc would have to be aligned with Brind'Amour on philosophy. Not saying they arent; just saying that is more important than $; otherwise nobody is successful and everyone gets fired
May 1 at 10:06 p.m.
What a save by Oettinger.
May 1 at 10:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Everything I've heard is it's more about his assistants and their job security/compensation.

Nope per Dreger and others its money

Like there be a big gap in what they offering and what he wants

Pretty interesting but yea if im Rod I ask for what Mike Babcock got no questions asked if Canes wont give it someone else will thats 100% certain
May 2 at 12:56 a.m.
Edited May 2 at 1:04 a.m.
Nope per Dreger and others its money

Like there be a big gap in what they offering and what he wants

Pretty interesting but yea if im Rod I ask for what Mike Babcock got no questions asked if Canes wont give it someone else will thats 100% certain

This was from March

Rumour: Elliotte Friedman discussed on Saturday Headlines that Hurricanes Head Coach Rod Brind’Amour is optimistic on a contract extension after the season but wants to see his assistants taken care of first.

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2024/03/18/nhl-rumours-carolina-hurricanes-rod-brindamours-extension-status/
A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 2 at 8:28 a.m.
Edited May 2 at 8:36 a.m.
I guess PLD managed a single shot over the final 4 games. (It was in game 2, so it’s been a minute)

Admittedly only watched about half of them due to timezone/work.

Looking thru individual game stuff….it’s so bad. For example, the numbers tell me he was the worst skater on the ice in game 2 by every way to measure it, and that was a game his team won and scored 5 goals.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/202404240EDM.html

Did he look as bad as his stats look? If there’s no injury…

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll