SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 7 - Shambles

May 7 at 7:13 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
This summer though one thing that has to be explored next to Dman, Marner trade, is goaltending

Think we have learned Woll cant stay healthy and thats a problem as how do we expect him to reach 40 games when in 3 separate leagues he's never done it. Sammy was fine but not the guy to take us to a cup in the current state of this team.

TOR needs to explore going out and getting a legit starter or someone who they can build upon via FA or trade
oneX liked this.
May 7 at 7:38 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: aadoyle
This has been the story of the Matthews era and im done excusing it to oh the goalie got hot.

We have seen it time and time again and yet we give these guys raises and stuck to the process rather than try and create balance

To name a few examples of why this excuse is getting old

Last year it was Bobrosky

Bubble Korpisalo

This year Swayman

Whose next Montembeault. Husso like its getting tiresome

Oh we need to win 2-1 no no we dont. If thats the case then why we got 4 double digit guys one scored 69 in regular season. Your setting it up to where your goalie has to get a shutout or only allow 1 every game or its game over. Not a viable strategy against everyone. With the firepower we have and the money going in 3-4goal wins should be the minimum with maybe one 2-1 win

This is where the argument for change comes in as if TOR is struggling to score in the playoffs why are we keeping 4 forwards making double digits.

Yes Swayman was good but with the firepower we had more than 2 goals should have went past him. Look what the Avs did to Hellebuyck whose probs the Vezina winner.

It's not a hot goalie, its a team with a extremely high degree of defensive focus. Everyone always does their job defensively. They don't make many mistakes.
May 7 at 8:00 p.m.
Rip
This has been the story of the Matthews era and im done excusing it to oh the goalie got hot.

We have seen it time and time again and yet we give these guys raises and stuck to the process rather than try and create balance

To name a few examples of why this excuse is getting old

Last year it was Bobrosky

Bubble Korpisalo

This year Swayman

Whose next Montembeault. Husso like its getting tiresome

Oh we need to win 2-1 no no we dont. If thats the case then why we got 4 double digit guys one scored 69 in regular season. Your setting it up to where your goalie has to get a shutout or only allow 1 every game or its game over. Not a viable strategy against everyone. With the firepower we have and the money going in 3-4goal wins should be the minimum with maybe one 2-1 win

This is where the argument for change comes in as if TOR is struggling to score in the playoffs why are we keeping 4 forwards making double digits.

Yes Swayman was good but with the firepower we had more than 2 goals should have went past him. Look what the Avs did to Hellebuyck whose probs the Vezina winner.

I agree that we need more goals. But to think our stars are going to light it up and pump 5 goals in a game against Boston is silly. To beat Boston in a series you likely need to have a couple of 2-1 wins. Or 3-1 with an empty netter. Maybe win one or two with 4 goals scored but that's about it.

I look at game 3 as the big one that go away. They had the lead and momentum and then Sammy lets in a stinker and they lose momentum and it fell apart from there.
May 7 at 8:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: RipNasty
I agree that we need more goals. But to think our stars are going to light it up and pump 5 goals in a game against Boston is silly. To beat Boston in a series you likely need to have a couple of 2-1 wins. Or 3-1 with an empty netter. Maybe win one or two with 4 goals scored but that's about it.

I look at game 3 as the big one that go away. They had the lead and momentum and then Sammy lets in a stinker and they lose momentum and it fell apart from there.

Why not they pumped more than 3 goals on Vasi numerous occasions who was one of the best goalies in the NHL and TOR were second in goals this season only behind the Avs averaging 3.65 goals per game. Look what the Avs did to Hellybuyck whose gonna win the Vezina

6 goals
5 goals
6 goals
5 goals
6 goals

Ran into a better goalie and slaughtered him

When you have the big 4 especially Matthews who had 69 goals a minimum of 3 or more goals is to be expected yet in big moments this team struggles to consistently score. That should not be the problem come playoffs especially with how much were giving each of these guys

Again no they dont need to beat BOS 2-1 all the time. One game sure but mutiple hell nah that is a recipe for failure. If big boys stepped it up and were in for the big moments easily beat them 4-2 but they didnt.

Despite all the fire power TOR is now a team who scores a tonne in regular season but come playoffs fails to score and thats a problem

Team needs balance not to try and find ways to consistently win 2-1 in BOS games lul

As if your not gonna outscore your opponent and try for slow slug games its not gonna go well.
May 7 at 8:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 7 at 8:30 p.m.
It's not a hot goalie, its a team with a extremely high degree of defensive focus. Everyone always does their job defensively. They don't make many mistakes.

It is a hot goalie

We have seen it time and time again

Big boys meet a goalie who makes a few more stops it eventually frustrates them and then game over.

Korpisalo, Bobrosky, and now Swayman

Its a broken record

Sure BOS has a nice system but if Matthews and the big boyz actually came to play no system would have full on stopped them. Look at game 2 when Matthews decided to go off and yes it was Ullmark and not Swayman nobody was gonna stop him. Imagine he did that game 1,3,4 or whenever we probs would be in FLA rn lul

As others have said these boyz have just not been good enough in the big moments. We have seen flashes but its not consistent enough to go on a long run. Look at EDM stars, Avs stars etc they come to play with a hunger and no matter whose in their way they will go for it and not disappear. Imagine if they played with the hunger of Draisaitl and MacKinnon TOR may have seen a SCF appearance by now

But nope they go out in 7 and then their opponent goes on a run to the SCF lul
May 7 at 8:34 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 7 at 8:46 p.m.
One thing I remember was when MacKinnon and the Avs lost to VGK in the playoffs 2021 and MacKinnon had one of the best quotes out there

I'm going into my ninth year next year and I haven't won ****. So, I'm just definitely motivated, and it just sucks losing four (games) in a row to a team

Where's that from Matthews, Marner, Nylander, etc

Its just oh were close and oh ABC and if this happened or that happened like a ****ing broken record. Or one making a quote going out of context or pouring fuel into the were fine fire and pissing off the fans

Rielly at least says the right things but you can tell also holds things back

Imagine Matthews said what MacKinnon said holy **** things would get interesting
Saskleaf and oneX liked this.
May 7 at 8:57 p.m.
average joe
Just for fun I looked at some stats.

Regular Season - Average 3.11 goals scored. By playoff teams average is 3.34 goals.
Playoffs. Average goals scored is 2.93.
So a drop of 0.41. (and a drop is expected because you can't pad your statistics playing San Jose).

Teams that dropped more than twice this number.
WAS down 0.93.
LVK down 0.97.
VAN down 1.24
NAS down 1.28
DAL down 1.35
TOR down 1.98.
May 7 at 8:57 p.m.
Rip
Why not they pumped more than 3 goals on Vasi numerous occasions who was one of the best goalies in the NHL and TOR were second in goals this season only behind the Avs averaging 3.65 goals per game. Look what the Avs did to Hellybuyck whose gonna win the Vezina

6 goals
5 goals
6 goals
5 goals
6 goals

Ran into a better goalie and slaughtered him

When you have the big 4 especially Matthews who had 69 goals a minimum of 3 or more goals is to be expected yet in big moments this team struggles to consistently score. That should not be the problem come playoffs especially with how much were giving each of these guys

Again no they dont need to beat BOS 2-1 all the time. One game sure but mutiple hell nah that is a recipe for failure. If big boys stepped it up and were in for the big moments easily beat them 4-2 but they didnt.

Despite all the fire power TOR is now a team who scores a tonne in regular season but come playoffs fails to score and thats a problem

Team needs balance not to try and find ways to consistently win 2-1 in BOS games lul

As if your not gonna outscore your opponent and try for slow slug games its not gonna go well.

Tampa's defence when they lost to us was not half as good as Boston's. I do feel a healthy Willy, Matthews and Woll for the whole series would have been a much different result. But it doesn't matter they lost.

Keefe has to go.
Marner should be traded.
Bring back Domi. (I know, I can't believe I am saying this either but he won me over, so long as he is 4 million or under)

Find either 2 potential backups who should offer 20-30 descent starts between the two, or a more sure thing but Woll is playing at least half the games.

Roy should be pursued.

Whatever else around the edges doesn't concern me much.
May 7 at 9:02 p.m.
Rip
One thing I remember was when MacKinnon and the Avs lost to VGK in the playoffs 2021 and MacKinnon had one of the best quotes out there

I'm going into my ninth year next year and I haven't won ****. So, I'm just definitely motivated, and it just sucks losing four (games) in a row to a team

Its just oh were close and oh ABC and if this happened or that happened like a ****ing broken record. Or one making a quote going out of context or pouring fuel into the were fine fire and pissing off the fans

Imagine Matthews said what MacKinnon said holy **** things would get interesting

I bet you it's Willy who finally goes that way. He's going to become Mad Willy Styles and take a huge step next year.
May 7 at 9:04 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 7 at 9:14 p.m.
Tampa's defence when they lost to us was not half as good as Boston's. I do feel a healthy Willy, Matthews and Woll for the whole series would have been a much different result. But it doesn't matter they lost.

Keefe has to go.
Marner should be traded.
Bring back Domi. (I know, I can't believe I am saying this either but he won me over, so long as he is 4 million or under)

Find either 2 potential backups who should offer 20-30 descent starts between the two, or a more sure thing but Woll is playing at least half the games.

Roy should be pursued.

Whatever else around the edges doesn't concern me much.

Shouldnt even be a backup has to be a starter. No more 2 backups and see

Woll's not shown enough to where we can confidently say thats the future starter as the man just cant stay healthy and its been an issue in NCAA, AHL and now NHL. Hes basically been labelled injury prone and at this young thats a big concern especially for a goalie

Like he plays 2 good playoff games hurts himself end of game 6. Also happened in regular season to

Brad should be looking at someone who can be the guy going forward and someone we know can give us 50 games

Avs traded for Kuemper and while he was a rental it worked

While goalies are silly geese with the injury problems and uncertainty going forward looking at a goalie like Saros may not be a bad thing
May 7 at 9:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 7 at 9:20 p.m.
I bet you it's Willy who finally goes that way. He's going to become Mad Willy Styles and take a huge step next year.

Willy has never given the vibes he would say that and if you want it to matter has to be Matthews

You need the guy people call the future C or the best guy on the team to do it

Thats when it will really hit home
May 7 at 10:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Messier99
Just for fun I looked at some stats.

Regular Season - Average 3.11 goals scored. By playoff teams average is 3.34 goals.
Playoffs. Average goals scored is 2.93.
So a drop of 0.41. (and a drop is expected because you can't pad your statistics playing San Jose).

Teams that dropped more than twice this number.
WAS down 0.93.
LVK down 0.97.
VAN down 1.24
NAS down 1.28
DAL down 1.35
TOR down 1.98.

I wonder if you took that in a 5 year sample what would it look like

TOR regular season scoring vs. Playoffs

As a 1.98 drop is almost 2 goals a game and for a team build for offense thats concerning
May 7 at 10:46 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/auston-matthews-stats-vs-tampa-bay-playoffs

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/nylander-stats-vs-tampa-bay-playoffs

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/marner-stats-vs-tampa-bay-playoffs

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask?q=tavares+stats+vs+tampa+bay+2021-22+to+2023-24+playoffs

All 4 did well vs Tampa and elevated their game...

I watched the games. The games weren't as rosy as the stats may say they were.

In past playoffs and somewhat even these ones the Leafs were outshooting opponents but most of those shots were perimeter shots and not nearly dangerous enough to force the goalie into making tough saves.

Anyway, we'll see if these players learn anything this offseason because it hasn't really sunk in over the past 8 years.
May 7 at 10:57 p.m.

And this is what I'm talking about when I say "look at how your peers are self motivating to push their teams to the Stanley Cup"

If Matthews and Marner can take whatever steps to get to the levels MacKinnon mentioned instead of worrying about what media and fans say and think or busy having god complexes at season end media responsibilities, they would be better off.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 7 at 11:06 p.m.

Think we have learned Woll cant stay healthy and thats a problem as how do we expect him to reach 40 games when in 3 separate leagues he's never done it. Sammy was fine but not the guy to take us to a cup in the current state of this team.

TOR needs to explore going out and getting a legit starter or someone who they can build upon via FA or trade

Yeah the goalie problem is real. I'm not even sure I would want to give up alot of value for a goalie because the position is so volatile.

May have to sign one in free agency and also hope Jones wants to come back as well because at this point you almost have to expect Woll to miss games again next season.
May 7 at 11:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 8 at 12:48 a.m.
Quoting: oneX
Yeah the goalie problem is real. I'm not even sure I would want to give up alot of value for a goalie because the position is so volatile.

May have to sign one in free agency and also hope Jones wants to come back as well because at this point you almost have to expect Woll to miss games again next season.

I think you need to go invest like the Avs did and while Kuemper was a rental he won a cup

Woll played 25 regular season games and 2.5 playoff games and got hurt both instances

He's injury prone and for a goalie thats a big problem especially at that age and the fact this has been a thing in AHL and NCAA

While goalies be silly geese I think you need to at least look. As this goalie market sucks and I just dont know if we can go with it with these current guys

As Woll cant stay healthy

We dont know what we have in Hildeby

And everyone else is a UFA

Might have to invest in someone like a Saros or Markstrom, Kuempers and say hey we at least tried
oneX liked this.
May 8 at 1:23 a.m.
I think you need to go invest like the Avs did and while Kuemper was a rental he won a cup

Woll played 25 regular season games and 2.5 playoff games and got hurt both instances

He's injury prone and for a goalie thats a big problem especially at that age and the fact this has been a thing in AHL and NCAA

While goalies be silly geese I think you need to at least look. As this goalie market sucks and I just dont know if we can go with it with these current guys

As Woll cant stay healthy

We dont know what we have in Hildeby

And everyone else is a UFA

Might have to invest in someone like a Saros or Markstrom, Kuempers and say hey we at least tried

What would you think of trade involving Sorokin? Apparently Roy is not a fan of him and actually leaned on starting Varlamov over him since Roy took over.

I don't know what a trade would look like but do you think he's someone you would be interested in?
May 8 at 1:44 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 8 at 2:42 a.m.
What would you think of trade involving Sorokin? Apparently Roy is not a fan of him and actually leaned on starting Varlamov over him since Roy took over.

I don't know what a trade would look like but do you think he's someone you would be interested in?

I think Roy was basically going with the hotter hand and apparently Lou was not happy

Sorokin is the future and idk if Isles move him. Maybe in a rebuild but as long as Lous there doubtful

If Sorokin was to be dealt my guess Woll or Hildeby + Cowen and a 1st. Why Woll you may ask well if Sorokin is the future no need to keep the kid as we got Hildeby who could get a look sooner. As no doubt Sorokin is rebounding next year

The guy I was eyeing actually is someone who yes had a down season but is someone we know has been good in the past and could be got for cheap

Darcy Kuemper

Guy can play 50 games, won a cup with the AVS 2 years ago and if WSH ret were set (2.95m)

Other guys to explore if we want something else can include Knight, Saros, Gustavsson, and Markstrom

But yea this needs to get sorted out as while Woll has shown flashes of being someone who can start he has also shown injury proneness. Hildeby is just to big of an unknown rn.Woukd though save the #3 spot for him
oneX liked this.
May 8 at 7:54 a.m.
Rip
Shouldnt even be a backup has to be a starter. No more 2 backups and see

Woll's not shown enough to where we can confidently say thats the future starter as the man just cant stay healthy and its been an issue in NCAA, AHL and now NHL. Hes basically been labelled injury prone and at this young thats a big concern especially for a goalie

Like he plays 2 good playoff games hurts himself end of game 6. Also happened in regular season to

Brad should be looking at someone who can be the guy going forward and someone we know can give us 50 games

Avs traded for Kuemper and while he was a rental it worked

While goalies are silly geese with the injury problems and uncertainty going forward looking at a goalie like Saros may not be a bad thing

It's stupid to spend big on a goalie. Who's to say anyone is going to be better than Woll. When healthy he absolutely is a starting goalie. It's not 2 playoff games. It's a lot more success than that.

I don't know why you hate Woll but it's weird
May 8 at 8:06 a.m.
Rip

Or he doesn't miss time n
oneX liked this.
May 8 at 9:28 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
If anything JT deserves more blame than Marner and Willy or Rielly. But Bertuzzi is the real culprit. Going behind the net there takes him further back and disrupted the change which cause confusion on who the new F1 was.

Look if you are going to go after Marner, you have to go after everyone who made mistakes. Bertuzzi failed in his assignment and it resulted in a goal against.

Bert had to force the pressure up the wall... Preventing a reverse...

A ton of mistakes were made... But Marner's was the most blatant and costly
May 8 at 9:29 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
For sure but man just add him to list of goalie who stopped TOR incredible offense and leaves us dumb founded lul

Like I feel next to the big 4 argument this is another broken record

Again, no excuses for the big 4...

This was an unrelated topic
May 8 at 9:34 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
I watched the games. The games weren't as rosy as the stats may say they were.

In past playoffs and somewhat even these ones the Leafs were outshooting opponents but most of those shots were perimeter shots and not nearly dangerous enough to force the goalie into making tough saves.

Anyway, we'll see if these players learn anything this offseason because it hasn't really sunk in over the past 8 years.

I watched them too... The games were fun and competitive...

These recent playoffs, the Leafs are the ones who have most of their shots in the slot...

But they've got to blow up the core
May 8 at 9:53 a.m.
I think Roy was basically going with the hotter hand and apparently Lou was not happy

Sorokin is the future and idk if Isles move him. Maybe in a rebuild but as long as Lous there doubtful

If Sorokin was to be dealt my guess Woll or Hildeby + Cowen and a 1st. Why Woll you may ask well if Sorokin is the future no need to keep the kid as we got Hildeby who could get a look sooner. As no doubt Sorokin is rebounding next year

The guy I was eyeing actually is someone who yes had a down season but is someone we know has been good in the past and could be got for cheap

Darcy Kuemper

Guy can play 50 games, won a cup with the AVS 2 years ago and if WSH ret were set (2.95m)

Other guys to explore if we want something else can include Knight, Saros, Gustavsson, and Markstrom

But yea this needs to get sorted out as while Woll has shown flashes of being someone who can start he has also shown injury proneness. Hildeby is just to big of an unknown rn.Woukd though save the #3 spot for him

The thing I don't like about Saros is that he's a small goaltender. Compare that to the league average and I kind of think leaning towards the average is a better bet.

Markstrom turned 34 this year so not sure how you feel about that. I'd like someone in their 20's.

Knight is/was in the players assistance program and don't know where he is from a hockey mindset standpoint.

No easy options for sure.
May 8 at 9:55 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Bert had to force the pressure up the wall... Preventing a reverse...

A ton of mistakes were made... But Marner's was the most blatant and costly

That's not his assignment. Read the article.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll