May 5 at 2:15 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98
3 GMs
3 Head Coaches
2 presidents

0 games taken over in the playoffs

1 OT winner against where he's directly responsible for

It's not good to compare the entire Matthews era under the same light. Also it's not 3 coaches it's 2. Babs and Keefe, both bad coaches.

Keefe's system just doesn't get to the net enough. A different system absolutely could prioritize better ways of finding offence. Keefe just never adjusts.
May 5 at 2:16 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: LeafsForLife
I agree with you. While Matthews did show up in the playoffs, he did not live up to his contract.

Wait to see what he was dealing with.
LeafsForLife liked this.
May 5 at 2:21 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: RipNasty
It's not good to compare the entire Matthews era under the same light. Also it's not 3 coaches it's 2. Babs and Keefe, both bad coaches.

Keefe's system just doesn't get to the net enough. A different system absolutely could prioritize better ways of finding offence. Keefe just never adjusts.

I will be a 3rd though

Babs
Keefe
The next guy the leaf hire

Lou
Dubas
Treliving

Shanahan
The next guy

All these guys for what?
May 5 at 2:24 p.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Seeing a lot of stuff on this forum on whether or not the Core 4 would succeed in the playoffs under different coaching (HC and all ACs). What would everyone think of this idea:
Obviously, fire entire coaching staff. Since Tavares’ and Marner’s contracts end next year, they have 1 year to prove it was the coaching that was the problem. If the Leafs follow this plan and go on a run, that’s great. If not, their contracts are off the books.
If you don’t like this idea, fair enough, but explain why you think it wouldn’t work.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 5 at 2:26 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Can't see any team wanting to give up much for Marner/Nylander when if they have the cap they could sign Stammer or Reinhart cheaper. Or for 11m, can obtain two pretty good UFAs.....which is sorta of the same thing the Leafs and their fans may want.
Gotta think Tavares and Marner are here in 24/25....but doubt if they are Leafs in 25/26.
May 5 at 2:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: palhal
Can't see any team wanting to give up much for Marner/Nylander when if they have the cap they could sign Stammer or Reinhart cheaper. Or for 11m, can obtain two pretty good UFAs.....which is sorta of the same thing the Leafs and their fans may want.
Gotta think Tavares and Marner are here in 24/25....but doubt if they are Leafs in 25/26.

I mean Rein will cost the same as either on open market

Stammer really is a PP merchant at this point

I could see teams have interest its just were probs at most getting 75 cents to the dollar for either rn
May 5 at 2:42 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Okay this is officially a London Knights thread now.

First of all, Cowen shortie to go up 1-0 in game 6 in Saginaw. Win and we're onto the finals so let's ****in go boys!!!

Second, we have 3 guys on suspension right now, one of them is total ****ing bull****.

Boulton has 1 more game (today) after slewfooting a guy with less than 5 mins left 2 games ago
Lawrence got 5 games for a crosscheck on Perekh (who 100% deserved it)

And the BS one:
Landon Sim 5 games and an ejection for (reportetdly) calling a guy a p u s s y

This deep in the playoffs! ****ing unreal.

Anyway this team is great so we can still win but Sim is huge and KLaw has really stepped up so missing them for 4 games in the finals against the Bats or Gens is gonna suck ass.

Brzustewicz is up on the wing again. Tons of rooks stepping up
May 5 at 3:04 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I will be a 3rd though

Babs
Keefe
The next guy the leaf hire

Lou
Dubas
Treliving

Shanahan
The next guy

All these guys for what?

Well it's pretty clear by now that Shanahan is a huge problem. I am not a fan of Treliving either.

So at this point, what's the best idea, lose a Marner trade, spend that cap on more Bertuzzi's and Domi's? How many goals did those guys score in games 5 through 7?

That's where I get really annoyed with this talk, blame Marner or JT or Matthews and say it's the lack of depth that kills them. Well Bertuzzi and Domi are supposed to be difference makers in the playoffs and made no difference for TO.

Willy made a difference. Matthews when healthy made a difference. I am not sure what to do with Marner. But the coach has to go and the Blueline needs to be fixed. It needs to get younger and more mobile while also being physical.
May 5 at 3:06 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: palhal

A 35 year Stammer is 35, getting a 27 or 28 year Marner or Nylander has way more value. Reinhart is going to get a huge contract and immediately look bad because this season is a massive outlier. Look at his shooting %.
May 5 at 3:08 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: aadoyle
I mean Rein will cost the same as either on open market

Stammer really is a PP merchant at this point

I could see teams have interest its just were probs at most getting 75 cents to the dollar for either rn

Reinhart is also a PP merchant who had a crazy outlier season with a sky-high shooting percentage. Someone is going to give him 9+ million and it will never look good.

To anyone that thinks Marner or Nylander don't have immense value, they have been brainwashed by the leaf haters mob.
May 5 at 3:15 p.m.
Rip
Seeing a lot of stuff on this forum on whether or not the Core 4 would succeed in the playoffs under different coaching (HC and all ACs). What would everyone think of this idea:
Obviously, fire entire coaching staff. Since Tavares’ and Marner’s contracts end next year, they have 1 year to prove it was the coaching that was the problem. If the Leafs follow this plan and go on a run, that’s great. If not, their contracts are off the books.
If you don’t like this idea, fair enough, but explain why you think it wouldn’t work.

I am leaning towards that plan. If you can get a fair return for Marner, you can make that argument fairly easily. I don't know who you'd get for him but a true top pair RD 26-28 years old would make sense. Marner is a world class talent but he's so fragile mentally and I don't know if he'll ever figure it out.

JT isn't going anywhere and everyone who wants to pay to move him out is just emotional and have lost all credibility. I hope he signs an extension at something fun like 2.5 for 8 years, all front loaded with bonuses. He's also still a very good player. I know many on here think he should be scoring 40 goals and 40 assists still but it's not likely to be what he does moving forward. He makes things happen but also I think is used wrong by Keefe.

So find a good coach (not at all Treliving's forte) get the defence in order, (we need puck movers and physicality, not just brutes). They have some options for next year but need a coach who can make the pieces fit together better.
May 5 at 3:17 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Random2152
Okay this is officially a London Knights thread now.

First of all, Cowen shortie to go up 1-0 in game 6 in Saginaw. Win and we're onto the finals so let's ****in go boys!!!

Second, we have 3 guys on suspension right now, one of them is total ****ing bull****.

Boulton has 1 more game (today) after slewfooting a guy with less than 5 mins left 2 games ago
Lawrence got 5 games for a crosscheck on Perekh (who 100% deserved it)

And the BS one:
Landon Sim 5 games and an ejection for (reportetdly) calling a guy a p u s s y

This deep in the playoffs! ****ing unreal.

Anyway this team is great so we can still win but Sim is huge and KLaw has really stepped up so missing them for 4 games in the finals against the Bats or Gens is gonna suck ass.

Brzustewicz is up on the wing again. Tons of rooks stepping up

Cowen has been very good today. Lots of chances
May 5 at 3:30 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Cowen has been very good today. Lots of chances

Simpson let's in a terrible goal.
That can't happen in a 1 goal game
May 5 at 3:55 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Well it's pretty clear by now that Shanahan is a huge problem. I am not a fan of Treliving either.

So at this point, what's the best idea, lose a Marner trade, spend that cap on more Bertuzzi's and Domi's? How many goals did those guys score in games 5 through 7?

That's where I get really annoyed with this talk, blame Marner or JT or Matthews and say it's the lack of depth that kills them. Well Bertuzzi and Domi are supposed to be difference makers in the playoffs and made no difference for TO.

Willy made a difference. Matthews when healthy made a difference. I am not sure what to do with Marner. But the coach has to go and the Blueline needs to be fixed. It needs to get younger and more mobile while also being physical.

Again its not about that but building depth and creating balance

Having 2 or 3 guys combining for Marner's money aint bad

Imagine if we kept Hyman

Hyman's a guy TOR sure could use rn and he's making less than 6m.
May 5 at 3:55 p.m.
How many of you would do this trade:

Marner for Dubois, Clarke, 2025 2nd, 2026 2nd.

I think this is a pretty realistic return for Marner.
May 5 at 3:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: fangm
How many of you would do this trade:

Marner for Dubois, Clarke, 2025 2nd, 2026 2nd.

I think this is a pretty realistic return for Marner.

LA laughs and hangs up

PLD was bad but trade him + Clark and a pick for Marner who also didnt look great in the playoffs, is a pending UFA, and is making boy who we kidding ourselves

They would rather just buy PLD out

If Marner goes most Leafs get is 75 cents to the dollar for him

Its gonna be a very ugly trade like look at what Guentzel got

Thats the type of offer I see teams throw for him
May 5 at 3:57 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Another goal from Sammy O. He has been excellent.

If we trade down to about the same place we got Cowen he will be a real option for the pick
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
May 5 at 4:02 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
London just let's Donovan walk in to the crease and he ties the game up again. 2-2 12 mins left.

That's ****ing atrocious
May 5 at 4:03 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
London just let's Donovan walk in to the crease and he ties the game up again. 2-2 12 mins left.

That's ****ing atrocious

And Eddy quiets the crowd immediately with the go ahead goal. 3-2 London. Beauty
May 5 at 4:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Here's my argument for those who blame Keefe for the scoring issues and no I am not letting him off either its just not a clear cut case as many people think

In TOR in 13 of 14 couldnt get more than 3 goals

This was an issue that started game 5 of the TBL series last year so okay its Keefe

Hold on

Game 1-4 of that series TOR scored 3 goals game 1, 7 game 2, 4 game 3, and 5 game 4. Was Keefe not HC then?

Special teams were also good that series to. So what happened between game 4 and now

But after game 4 they just seemed to lose their playoff scoring Mojo to where the one time they scored 3 was with Boston's 1B in net.

Maybe a new coach or system will fix the issue but yea its a problem that needs to get fixed otherwise we go no where. Dont matter about regular season, or whose in net/dcore if we have trouble scoring especially on the PP were going no where.
LeafsForLife and oneX liked this.
May 5 at 4:12 p.m.
Rip
Again its not about that but building depth and creating balance

Having 2 or 3 guys combining for Marner's money aint bad

Imagine if we kept Hyman

Hyman's a guy TOR sure could use rn and he's making less than 6m.

Hyman didn't score in the playoffs when in he was a leaf. Why does everyone outside of TO? Is it because the core? They stop everyone else on the team from scoring?

That defies logic. It can't be some strange supernatural reason.
May 5 at 4:15 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 5 at 4:21 p.m.
Hyman didn't score in the playoffs when in he was a leaf. Why does everyone outside of TO? Is it because the core? They stop everyone else on the team from scoring?

That defies logic. It can't be some strange supernatural reason.

Hyman didnt score then but how do we know what were seeing in EDM would not have happened

What we had wasnt prime Hyman and what EDM is getting be prime Hyman as through the years he's just been getting better and better.

Hyman had 7 playoff goals in 1 round for EDM. TOR scored 12 goals total

While we will never know losing him is biting them especially with the issue of this team having the inability to score via playoffs
May 5 at 4:16 p.m.
LA laughs and hangs up

PLD was bad but trade him + Clark and a pick for Marner who also didnt look great in the playoffs, is a pending UFA, and is making boy who we kidding ourselves

They would rather just buy PLD out

If Marner goes most Leafs get is 75 cents to the dollar for him

Its gonna be a very ugly trade like look at what Guentzel got

Thats the type of offer I see teams throw for him

Right now the media consensus seems to be a PLD buyout. Seems like you aren't factoring in that they would save 14 years of dead cap.
May 5 at 4:18 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 5 at 4:25 p.m.
Quoting: fangm
Right now the media consensus seems to be a PLD buyout. Seems like you aren't factoring in that they would save 14 years of dead cap.

Look how cheap the buyout is for LA. Who cares if its 14 years caps going up and the money can be used elsewhere. LA had 0 need for PLD and now the trades biting them

GMjUHIWbMAABo07?format=jpg&name=large

But I think LA is just gonna keep him and hope he rebounds
May 5 at 4:25 p.m.
Look how cheap the buyout is for LA. Who cares if its 14 years caps going up and the money can be used elsewhere. LA had 0 need for PLD and now the trades biting them

GMjUHIWbMAABo07?format=jpg&name=large

I think you are massively underestimating how attractive this trade would be for Blake.

It's much easier to sell that he moved Villager and Clarke for Marner than having sold a top 6 PWF for 14 years of dead cap.

If he goes through with the buyout he's likely fired or close to it. This trade buys him time.
oneX liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll