SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 7 - Shambles

May 5 at 12:08 a.m.
Cowan Season
Quoting: Saskleaf
At this point I want them to look at Matthews trades. We need to stop only criticizing Marner and giving Matthews a pass. Matthews has been crap in the playoffs year after year and every year we go “well he’s a generational talent”. I don’t care, if he’s only going to score 1 goal every playoff round in a random game 2, he’s a useless player.

No. He set up the only goal this game with a solo effort.
May 5 at 12:09 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: CameronSquires
No. He set up the only goal this game with a solo effort.

Yah but he needs to be doing more. One goal is not acceptable
oneX liked this.
May 5 at 12:11 a.m.
Cowan Season

That's just unreasonable to say trade Matthews. He shows up more than most, he single handedly made the game 4 comeback last year.
May 5 at 12:12 a.m.
I'm going to give my little rant.

Rielly - The hate for him here is unfair IMO. He had 3 points in 7 games and was a +2. It was clear that he didn't trust Boosh the way he did Schenn. Last year on the rushes her would continue forward and press after the initial chance. This year he's always curl back and play defence first. In a series where the team was -4 its hard to take criticism against a D who was +2 seriously. We've know for a while Rielly isn't a true #1 and he isn't a PP QB. I think the hate comes from the fact that the PP was so bad. For reference McAvoy had 5 points and a 0 +/-. So I'm starting by saying Rielly is exactly who anyone reasonable through he was. He's the Leafs #1 but not a star #1. (BTW on the last play he isn't at fault at all, as someone who played D that isn't his fault in any way, even Bieksa said it).

Marner - HAS TO GO. Horrible in every way. He is one of two people to blame for the OT goal but also the entire season has been poor from him.

Nylander - As always the best of the core 4 in the playoffs.

Tavares - He's aging but he tried, he wins faceoffs and won most of his battles in Game 7, came up clutch at key times. Hard to criticize but the contract obviously sucks.

Matthews - Great player but they need to find a way to play the same defensive style even when he's on.

McCabe - Awesome.

Knies - Awesome

Lili/Sammy - Time to move on

Overall I think the summer needs to start with Shannahan gone (need a real new voice not just a puppet in Tre), Keefe and all assistants gone, Marner/Lili traded and Sammy walks. After that I think that there are a few directions the team can go but this is where it needs to start.
CameronSquires liked this.
May 5 at 12:14 a.m.

He has 24 points (10 goals) in 23 games over the last 3 playoffs
May 5 at 12:17 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
The guys im more pissed off with is JT and Rielly

Can JT pls retire this summer as 1PPG is not acceptable for a guy making 11m

Rielly just disappeared I think Lybushkin had more points than him......

And look at that off the core 4 Willy showed up again while the others slumped into oblivion

But man its kind of funny I was right on the dot of what could happen if Matthews came back lul

Both of these are horrible takes.

JT's contract is bad yes but that was always the deal, you get him in his 20s but you pay at the backend. He is working his ass off, winning draws, winning battles, if you played you'd see how amazing he is at all the small details. He's lost his speed and scoring touch but that is normal as you age. Can't fault him.

Rielly also 3 points +2 in 7 games is solid for D in the playoffs. He isn't getting 10M a year, he's getting $7.5M. He plays well and hard, he again does all the little things right.
May 5 at 12:20 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 5 at 12:25 a.m.
Quoting: fangm
Both of these are horrible takes.

JT's contract is bad yes but that was always the deal, you get him in his 20s but you pay at the backend. He is working his ass off, winning draws, winning battles, if you played you'd see how amazing he is at all the small details. He's lost his speed and scoring touch but that is normal as you age. Can't fault him.

Rielly also 3 points +2 in 7 games is solid for D in the playoffs. He isn't getting 10M a year, he's getting $7.5M. He plays well and hard, he again does all the little things right.

Trying to defend these two is a horrible take

Rielly this series was nothing compared to he was in the TBL series. Playoff Rielly flew the coop lul. The guy had the same amount of points and less on an XGF then Ilya Lybushkin holy ****

JT was bad sorry. A 2c at 11m and 1 goal on the PP = bad. He took a step back this year and it carried over into the playoffs. Captain needs to rally the team get them going and while he showed some flashes just not good enough.

Look at JT the TBL series man scored a hatty game 2 lul. Bruins just skated around him with ease and he takes a stupid penalty at the end of a game to hurt us.

Both these guys were disappointing along with some others
May 5 at 12:29 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
Edited May 5 at 1:02 a.m.
Leafs next year

Edit: just remember it’s more of a rant about how I want Marner and JT gone then an actual team lol
May 5 at 12:37 a.m.
Hakuna Matata

Would rather not waste assets to move JT that would be bad

Just let the deal expire and never come back lul
Saskleaf liked this.
May 5 at 12:44 a.m.

You wanna pay a 1st to move JT and then give nearly all of his money to Montour and Schenn??
aadoyle, Random2152 and Saskleaf liked this.
May 5 at 12:50 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
You wanna pay a 1st to move JT and then give nearly all of his money to Montour and Schenn??

I say just ride JT and then after let him skate into the pastures of retirement or if he does come back its a Spezza deal

As for if he can be the 2c for 2024-2025 thats gonna be a whole new debate
May 5 at 12:53 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: CameronSquires
That's just unreasonable to say trade Matthews. He shows up more than most, he single handedly made the game 4 comeback last year.

Quoting: fangm
He has 24 points (10 goals) in 23 games over the last 3 playoffs

Yah but he’s supposedly a generational talent. Point per game, 10 goals in 24 playoff games when he has 69 in 81 games is simply not good enough, there’s no 2 ways about it. Not to mention he sucks in elimination games.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a phenomenal player and I’m not going to be disappointed if (well, when) he’s still in the leafs next year (Marner is the main one who needs to be yeeted into the sun). I’m just annoyed that he constantly isn’t as good as he should be when it matters most.
oneX and Trickster liked this.
May 5 at 12:54 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
Would rather not waste assets to move JT that would be bad

Just let the deal expire and never come back lul

Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason

It wasn’t really a serious ACGM. More of a rant of how I want Marner and JT gone
May 5 at 1:18 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
I'm numb to this result.
This is now what happens year in year out.
Not surprised.

I almost had hope when it got to game 7 but brought back down to the ground .

Lack of scoring is the continuing playoff story, yet again.
Saskleaf, LeafsForLife and oneX liked this.
May 5 at 1:49 a.m.
Rip
Trying to defend these two is a horrible take

Rielly this series was nothing compared to he was in the TBL series. Playoff Rielly flew the coop lul. The guy had the same amount of points and less on an XGF then Ilya Lybushkin holy ****

JT was bad sorry. A 2c at 11m and 1 goal on the PP = bad. He took a step back this year and it carried over into the playoffs. Captain needs to rally the team get them going and while he showed some flashes just not good enough.

Look at JT the TBL series man scored a hatty game 2 lul. Bruins just skated around him with ease and he takes a stupid penalty at the end of a game to hurt us.

Both these guys were disappointing along with some others

We have seen a better version of Rielly yes but to be mad at him is silly. Boston keyed on him the whole series. Because no one else can move the puck. Edmunson got in some prime shooting lanes and it did nothing for us. But you didn't see Rielly get those looks. They didn't give him any.

Getting mad at JT is low hanging fruit. Willy scored, if that's the only thing that means someone "showed up" no one else did. Not the big "playoff additions" in Domi and Bertuzzi, not new depth, not the defensive additions, no one. Just Willy.

So whats the solution? Two fold, a better constructed roster and a better coach.
May 5 at 1:49 a.m.
Rip
Quoting: Trickster
I'm numb to this result.
Not surprised.

They need a better system. Fire the coaching staff
Trickster liked this.
May 5 at 1:52 a.m.
Rip
It wasn’t really a serious ACGM. More of a rant of how I want Marner and JT gone

That's an extreme and unnecessary take. I think we should give Boston some credit, specifically swayman, they really didn't make scoring easy.

But Woll should have started game 2 and who knows what would have happened.

Get a good coach and see what this team can be. The current one sucks.
May 5 at 6:24 a.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
I'm numb to this result.
Not surprised.

Exactly my thoughts. I wanted the Leafs to win badly, but I can’t say I was surprised with how the game, series, and season ended
Saskleaf, oneX and Trickster liked this.
May 5 at 6:30 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: LeafsForLife
Exactly my thoughts. I wanted the Leafs to win badly, but I can’t say I was surprised with how the game, series, and season ended

I'm numb to this result.
Not surprised.

Hey you guys remember those 80 seconds right after Willie scored when we all thought they'd do it.

God that was nice. And **** them for immediately blowing it. 80 ****ing seconds. That's all these losers could do
Saskleaf, oneX, Trickster and 1 other person liked this.
May 5 at 9:06 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Random2152
Yup. Send Trev and every other coach out too and I'll be happy

I wouldn’t gas Treliving… His acquisitions were at the top of playoff scoring (Matthew’s extension, Bert, Domi, Nylander extension, Knies was a Dubas guy, Lyubushkin, Rielly, Marner) was the order
Saskleaf liked this.
May 5 at 9:10 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
At this point I want them to look at Matthews trades. We need to stop only criticizing Marner and giving Matthews a pass. Matthews has been crap in the playoffs year after year and every year we go “well he’s a generational talent”. I don’t care, if he’s only going to score 1 goal every playoff round in a random game 2, he’s a useless player.

So what you are suggesting is trading the only guy whom showed up?

That’s dumb IMO… Matthews showed up sick and injured and preformed better than any other player on this hockey team, with the exception of Joseph Woll.
May 5 at 9:11 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
The guys im more pissed off with is JT and Rielly

Can JT pls retire this summer as 1PPG is not acceptable for a guy making 11m

Rielly just disappeared I think Lybushkin had more points than him......

And look at that off the core 4 Willy showed up again while the others slumped into oblivion

But man its kind of funny I was right on the dot of what could happen if Matthews came back lul

Matthews led the team in points… Willy’s playoff PPG was less than Matthews’ somehow
May 5 at 9:12 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Messier99
My guess.
Shanahan and Treliving stay.
Keefe gone.
Most/all assistants gone.
Big 4 all stay.
Brody, Domi, Bertuzzi, Sammy gone.
Lilly and Robertson 1 year deal and/or traded.

Basically - do the easiest thing.

The dumbest possible outcome
Saskleaf liked this.
May 5 at 9:51 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I wouldn’t gas Treliving… His acquisitions were at the top of playoff scoring (Matthew’s extension, Bert, Domi, Nylander extension, Knies was a Dubas guy, Lyubushkin, Rielly, Marner) was the order

Trev is bad. Long time loser and his additions were mostly bad. This is the worst the team has ever been. He is a problem
May 5 at 9:53 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Random2152
Trev is bad. Long time loser and his additions were mostly bad. This is the worst the team has ever been. He is a problem

Bert = T-2 in scoring
Domi = T-2 scoring
Libby = T-5 scoring

Can't fire him when his best additions were the best players or extended the right guys

Matthews = 1 in scoring
Nylander = 4 in scoring
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll