Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 7 - Shambles

May 3 at 1:03 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 3 at 1:09 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster

Fast forward to 12:39

Woll 》Samsonov

No matter who was in net this was going to 7 lets be real. That's what this team does

And the thing that really got this team going let's be real Matthews being out. Teams playing with rn actual purpose

PP still sucks and they can't score more than 2 goals but him being out has really forced the depth and other big boyz to step up big that's for sure. Compared to big 4 entire teams been matching Bos and starting on time
May 3 at 1:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 3 at 1:21 p.m.
Quoting: oneX
So...I'm going to say something but it's not because the guy scored 2 goals last night. William Nylander had his best game as a Leaf last night and no..it wasn't because of the goals because we've seen plenty of that from him.

What I saw in the first period was Willy make 2 defensive plays and help take the puck out of the zone. Then...in the third period he delivered a hit in the Leafs zone and took the puck away again.

If we are getting this version of Willy Styles, then he's going to be worth every penny of this contract that's kicking in.

We need this version of Nylander game in and game out, especially in the playoffs. Had not seen this until last night but now want more!

It's kind of funny how it Took Matthews being out to actually wake Tor up especially him lul

Everyone has stepped up big that'd for sure

Pp still sucks though lul
oneX and Saskleaf liked this.
May 3 at 1:47 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Matthews being out has been a blessing in disguise for this team and we can see why they have a 0.643 win percentage without him

Since he's been out everyone from Nylander to Holmberg has stepped up big time, team has started on time and defense has been much better, and be getting a few more saves

People will go it was Woll as the main factor for this change nah. The real spark that got this team going and realizing we need to step it up is their best guy being out. Team went from dead in game 4 to hey we may actually do this game 7

PP still sucks and this team still struggles to score but through them setting the pace for 5 on 5 play they should be good

And so while it's a gamble to prevent the momentum disappearing rest Matthews for FLA.
May 3 at 1:54 p.m.
Cowan Season
Quoting: RipNasty
What's is mind blowing to me, is how everyone hasn't been on board with him all season? I go back to the playoffs last year. I have never been comfortable with Sammy as the starter, his stats vs Tampa weren't great last year. He was brutal in game 1, and game 5 he was also really bad. Vs Florida he allowed bad goals in all 3 starts. Then his start to this season he was brutal.

Even when he was winning a lot he wasn't playing well, the leafs just scored a tonne. Woll was the number 1 before getting hurt. Why they didn't do everything possible to get him up to speed is ridiculous. Sammy finished poorly and was exactly as predicted in the playoffs.

Woll is the future of the team unless Hildeby is better, in which case that's amazing. At least there are no doubters now. Woll gives this team a chance to win.

Quoting: aadoyle
Never go based on 2 playoff games for how a goalie will do in the regular season never goes well

Look at Korpisalo

Had one of the most dominant playoffs and since has been meh to bad. Not saying same for Woll but goalies are rarely consistent and silly geese

I was a Woll believer from the start, I liked his reg season play except for a couple outlier games, just showing that he can do both reg season and playoffs is huge.

I liked his quote the other day 'I'm having the time of my life out there'
RipNasty liked this.
May 3 at 2:02 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 3 at 2:14 p.m.
Quoting: CameronSquires
I was a Woll believer from the start, I liked his reg season play except for a couple outlier games, just showing that he can do both reg season and playoffs is huge.

He's shown flashes but it's a wait and see. Goalies be silly geese and we have seen some promising guys rise or fall like the sun. Currently been a nice bandaid for TOR helping to cover up their bigger issues but how long will it last

Next season will be a big test let's see what we get and if he can stay healthy

Cause the one thing on Woll is he has not played a 40 game season yet in AHL or NHL and for a guy set to be the future we need to see that occur

Anyways let's see but if things don't go well next year we may see Brad go get someone like Saros as the window be short and we need to win
May 3 at 2:08 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Since we're yapping about this again. Woll is only covering up the issues with this team. We still can't score and special teams are still bad.

If he drops off in any way it's over. He isnt the solution, hes the bandaid. Precarious way to live
aadoyle and oneX liked this.
May 3 at 2:11 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
Since we're yapping about this again. Woll is only covering up the issues with this team. We still can't score and special teams are still bad.

If he drops off in any way it's over. He isnt the solution, hes the bandaid. Precarious way to live

Yep like man even if we somehow beat BOS we got the Panthers next and after watching them vs TBL if our PP and scoring issues continue were ****ED

But anyway first got to win game 7 😅
May 3 at 2:33 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: CameronSquires

He's got the mindset you need for a goalie and he doesn't let in stinkers in the playoffs. 5 starts now and not 1 bad goal. And they have all been elimination games.
CameronSquires liked this.
May 3 at 2:34 p.m.
Rip
No matter who was in net this was going to 7 lets be real. That's what this team does

And the thing that really got this team going let's be real Matthews being out. Teams playing with rn actual purpose

PP still sucks and they can't score more than 2 goals but him being out has really forced the depth and other big boyz to step up big that's for sure. Compared to big 4 entire teams been matching Bos and starting on time

You are still giving Sammy a pass? Is he a close friend or something?
May 3 at 2:35 p.m.
Rip
It's kind of funny how it Took Matthews being out to actually wake Tor up especially him lul

Everyone has stepped up big that'd for sure

Pp still sucks though lul

Matthews being out has done nothing for Willy, he's a clutch guy. He produces in the biggest moments. Wouldn't matter if Matthews was in or not.
May 3 at 2:37 p.m.
Rip
Matthews being out has been a blessing in disguise for this team and we can see why they have a 0.643 win percentage without him

Since he's been out everyone from Nylander to Holmberg has stepped up big time, team has started on time and defense has been much better, and be getting a few more saves

People will go it was Woll as the main factor for this change nah. The real spark that got this team going and realizing we need to step it up is their best guy being out. Team went from dead in game 4 to hey we may actually do this game 7

PP still sucks and this team still struggles to score but through them setting the pace for 5 on 5 play they should be good

And so while it's a gamble to prevent the momentum disappearing rest Matthews for FLA.

It has less to do with Matthews and more to do with the desire this squad has to win. They are desperate and playing like it. Look at everyone blocking shots out there. They aren't doing that because Matthews is out, they are doing that because it's what you have to do to win. They appear to have finally figured that out. Should bode well for them if they can win the game 7 ghost off.
May 3 at 2:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
You are still giving Sammy a pass? Is he a close friend or something?

It's not about passes. Tor always does this against BOS

Every series has gone to 7 and in 2013 and 2018 they were down 3-1 then pushed for a 7

Have you not watched the Matthews era or previous playoffs lul
May 3 at 2:40 p.m.
Rip
Never go based on 2 playoff games for how a goalie will do in the regular season never goes well

Look at Korpisalo

Had one of the most dominant playoffs and since has been meh to bad. Not saying same for Woll but goalies are rarely consistent and silly geese

He was great in the regular season last year, great in the playoffs and was excellent to start this season before getting hurt. He needed time to get back into the swing of things at the end of the season coming back from injury but did play better than Sammy down the stretch as well. Didn't get the wins but he faced tougher competition and had equal sv% and GAA to Sammy who got wins.

His playoff performance isn't a surprise.
May 3 at 2:41 p.m.
Rip
It's not about passes. Tor always does this against BOS

Every series has gone to 7 and in 2013 and 2018 they were down 3-1 then pushed for a 7

Have you not watched the Matthews era or previous playoffs lul

I have, but are you seriously here saying that Sammy in net for game 5 and 6 would have resulted in the same situation? I honestly just can't understand you.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 3 at 2:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
It has less to do with Matthews and more to do with the desire this squad has to win. They are desperate and playing like it. Look at everyone blocking shots out there. They aren't doing that because Matthews is out, they are doing that because it's what you have to do to win. They appear to have finally figured that out. Should bode well for them if they can win the game 7 ghost off.

It has a lot to do with Matthews. Him being out has forced others to step up. If he was in game 5 or 6 idk if we're still alive rn.

Team is starting on time,marker, Willy, JT, Knies all look better and the results show 2-0 and have scored 5 without him
May 3 at 2:42 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I have, but are you seriously here saying that Sammy in net for game 5 and 6 would have resulted in the same situation? I honestly just can't understand you.

Not really we saw this with Anderson last time he was bad then played well enough final 2 to force a 7. Team would have forced a 7 as it's just their DNA

No matter who would be in net series would go to 7 history dictates it

And now

May 3 at 2:45 p.m.
Rip
It has a lot to do with Matthews. Him being out has forced others to step up. If he was in game 5 or 6 idk if we're still alive rn.

Team is starting on time,marker, Willy, JT, Knies all look better and the results show 2-0 and have scored 5 without him

No you want it to have to do with Matthews. I couldn't possibly understand why. Perhaps you are in the "trade any core player for anything" crowd and this makes Matthews and easy target to dump on. To a man, the team has said, you can't replace Matthews and we wish he was playing but it doesn't matter, you have to go out and play your best game. There is no option, give it your all or lose. That is the message this team has needed to hear for years. Maybe they have finally figured it out.

Everyone knows that if they fail, change is coming, they don't want that. They believe in themselves and are going to prove themselves.
May 3 at 2:46 p.m.
Rip
Not really we saw this with Anderson last time he was bad then played well enough final 2 to force a 7. Team would have forced a 7 as it's just their DNA

No matter who would be in net series would go to 7 history dictates it

And now

Okay, what do you have against Woll? This is just strange.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 3 at 2:47 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 3 at 2:54 p.m.
No you want it to have to do with Matthews. I couldn't possibly understand why. Perhaps you are in the "trade any core player for anything" crowd and this makes Matthews and easy target to dump on. To a man, the team has said, you can't replace Matthews and we wish he was playing but it doesn't matter, you have to go out and play your best game. There is no option, give it your all or lose. That is the message this team has needed to hear for years. Maybe they have finally figured it out.

Everyone knows that if they fail, change is coming, they don't want that. They believe in themselves and are going to prove themselves.

Look at TOR record without Matthews and look at how they have played with him in the lineup this series and without him. Leafs have played their best games 5 and 6 why it's cause everyone is stepping up in his absence

Him being out has been a blessing in disguise and has woke them up. Maybe they would have reached 7 even with him and improved their play but the evidence is showing it him being out has forced others to step up

Still has not fixed pp and scoring issues but to see everyone playing like they want it vs. game 4 where they looked dead it's a nice touch
May 3 at 2:49 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Okay, what do you have against Woll? This is just strange.

It's nothing against him. Got to stop letting your homerism for Woll dictate your answers. He's been a nice bandaid but still

This team even before the playoffs we said if they got BOS was going to 7

Again don't matter whose in net it's in their DNA were just repeating 2013 and 2018 as in both those down 3-1 lul

Now do they win idk as we have seen them do this before and fall short that's the real thing we should be wondering lul
May 3 at 2:52 p.m.
Rip
Look at TOR record without Matthews and look at how they have played with him in the lineup this series and without him. Leafs have played their best games 5 and 6 why it's cause everyone is stepping up in his absence

It doesn't matter what you point to. The past is irrelevant. Its now that matters and whether Matthews was playing or not, they need to play like this and I think. How they are defending and matching the physicality has been playoff hockey. I haven't seen them play like this before. They didn't look like this when they beat Tampa, certainly didn't look like this vs Florida.

This is how you have to play to win in the playoffs. If Matthews can play, great, it doesn't matter one way or another. Lay it all on the line and win. That's the lesson they needed to learn and they appear to have learned it.

Having a goalie who is actually good is pretty vital. We need someone who can win a 2-1 game. We had that the whole time.

Now if they can get a PP goals or two, well this could be a dangerous team.
May 3 at 2:54 p.m.
Rip
It's nothing against him. Got to stop letting your homerism for Woll dictate your answers. He's been a nice bandaid but still

This team even before the playoffs we said if they got BOS was going to 7

Again don't matter whose in net it's in their DNA were just repeating 2013 and 2018 as in both those down 3-1 lul

Now do they win idk as we have seen them do this before and fall short that's the real thing we should be wondering lul

Bandaid? Seriously strange. Had you had your way, we wouldn't have won game 5 because Sammy would have allowed 3 goals and we would have lost 3-2. Give Woll his credit due sir. You are not showing well in this argument.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 3 at 2:55 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 3 at 3:03 p.m.
Bandaid? Seriously strange. Had you had your way, we wouldn't have won game 5 because Sammy would have allowed 3 goals and we would have lost 3-2. Give Woll his credit due sir. You are not showing well in this argument.

He's been a bandaid even Random agrees

Team is still plagued with issues that will eventually catch up to where if his play tilts even in the slightest it's over. Matthews being out has helped them to wake up and Wol has slowed the bleeding but they need other things to also improve

A 5 percent PP and inability to score more than 2 be the big notable issues rn and especially for the PP seems to just be getting worse

Game 7 BOS is gonna come out swinging can't have a 0/ what ever PP and will probs need 3 or more goals to win.
May 3 at 3:04 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 3 at 3:14 p.m.
It doesn't matter what you point to. The past is irrelevant. Its now that matters and whether Matthews was playing or not, they need to play like this and I think. How they are defending and matching the physicality has been playoff hockey. I haven't seen them play like this before. They didn't look like this when they beat Tampa, certainly didn't look like this vs Florida.

This is how you have to play to win in the playoffs. If Matthews can play, great, it doesn't matter one way or another. Lay it all on the line and win. That's the lesson they needed to learn and they appear to have learned it.

Having a goalie who is actually good is pretty vital. We need someone who can win a 2-1 game. We had that the whole time.

Now if they can get a PP goals or two, well this could be a dangerous team.

No they like looked like this when they beat TBL they just were scoring more and special teams were better. Could have used those guys game 1-4 as we be off to FLA rn as while it may have still gone to 7 who knows may have been able to slay them earlier

If TBL leafs show up they would win game 7 easily as that team scored a tonne. This version is more physical but their offense is lacking and idk how long they can go on like this as while the bandaid has held for 2 games this PP and scoring really needs to show up for game 7

But yea the TBL leafs were still the best iteration of this team so far.
May 3 at 3:44 p.m.
Rip
He's been a bandaid even Random agrees

Team is still plagued with issues that will eventually catch up to where if his play tilts even in the slightest it's over. Matthews being out has helped them to wake up and Wol has slowed the bleeding but they need other things to also improve

A 5 percent PP and inability to score more than 2 be the big notable issues rn and especially for the PP seems to just be getting worse

Game 7 BOS is gonna come out swinging can't have a 0/ what ever PP and will probs need 3 or more goals to win.

Just weird

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll