Moving Krug

Created by: Beauterham
Team: 2024-25 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 11, 2024
Published: Apr. 11, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Hi!

As the name suggests I'm looking for possibilities to move Krug without buying him out or retaining on him (or, at least, the fewest amount possible).
ATM Krug is a 3rd pairing PPQB and he's more than fine in that role, however the problem is that he is currently a 3-3.5 million player on a 6.5 million contract while we also have a similar player to him in Perunovich who's younger and cost controlled.

I'd like to explore options to move him for another 'bad contract'; preferably a forward who is still useful but weighs too much towards the cap, although I wouldn't rule out a defenseman who's a better fit to the Blues (AKA the Sanheim - Krug trade that didn't went through last season).

Why not retain on his contract or buy him out? Retaining is an option, but I'd rather not as he still has 3 more years on his contract. Buying him out is a no-go as that might hamstring our development in the long haul.

Just looked for some options for a contract swap and would like your opinion on them. Is there a fit? Does one side need to add? Is there another player on your mind who we could move Krug for?
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Krug, Torey
3$6,500,000
Krug, Torey
3$6,500,000
Krug, Torey
3$6,500,000
Krug, Torey
3$6,500,000
Trades
STL
  1. Killorn, Alex
Additional Details:
waives NTC
ANA
  1. Krug, Torey
Additional Details:
waives NTC
STL
  1. Lee, Anders
Additional Details:
waives NTC
NYI
  1. Krug, Torey
Additional Details:
waives NTC
PIT
  1. Krug, Torey
Additional Details:
waives NTC
STL
  1. Palat, Ondrej
Additional Details:
waives NMC
NJD
  1. Krug, Torey
Additional Details:
waives NTC
DET
  1. Krug, Torey
Additional Details:
waives NTC
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
16$83,500,000$89,395,595$0$412,500-$5,895,595
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Islanders
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$8,125,000$8,125,000
C, RW
UFA - 7
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$8,125,000$8,125,000
RW
UFA - 7
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$5,800,000$5,800,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$835,833$835,833
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$3,571,429$3,571,429
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$412,500$412K)
LW
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 11 at 9:31 a.m.
Blues4Life
Not a bad idea to look into bad contract swaps but as always, the NTC likely plays the biggest part in most of these. DET seems most feasible due to Krug's family being there and STL's need for C depth in the short-term until Dvorsky is ready.
Apr. 11 at 9:32 a.m.
Future Norris guy
laugh Krug won't return any of those players, Palat and Killorn won't waive. The only real destination on that list for Krug is hometown Detroit and we don't want him..

You only have two options, Either keep him or buy him out. Because very few teams are touching that contract.
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 11 at 9:37 a.m.
Xercuses
Quoting: Blues4Life
Not a bad idea to look into bad contract swaps but as always, the NTC likely plays the biggest part in most of these. DET seems most feasible due to Krug's family being there and STL's need for C depth in the short-term until Dvorsky is ready.

I dont really get why people keep saying detriot tbh.

They have there own LHD problems and they dont have a reason to add krug to that problem
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 11 at 9:58 a.m.
Quoting: xercuses
I dont really get why people keep saying detriot tbh.

They have there own LHD problems and they dont have a reason to add krug to that problem

To be fair, I didn't look up Detroit to see 'who's their bad contract'. I just tried to find some bad forward contracts who have a similar-ish caphit to Krug and have a similar-ish term left on their deal. There are not a lot of players who fit that discription, but coincidentally there was one contract from Detroit.
xercuses liked this.
Apr. 11 at 9:59 a.m.
Xercuses
Quoting: MoSeider53
laugh Krug won't return any of those players, Palat and Killorn won't waive. The only real destination on that list for Krug is hometown Detroit and we don't want him..

You only have two options, Either keep him or buy him out. Because very few teams are touching that contract.

Honestly i think we should just bury him at this point

send him a message
MoSeider53 and aedoran liked this.
Apr. 11 at 10:01 a.m.

We will probably keep him as it is hard to find a fit in this specific situation (similar-ish cap/term). The Rakell option is nice (slightly cheaper, but one more year), although I don't think PIT will have a use for Krug.
Buying him out is not an option IMO. Will cost us way too much.
MoSeider53 and aedoran liked this.
Apr. 11 at 10:04 a.m.
Future Norris guy

send him a message

I think that would make the most sense, He'll be turning 33 tomorrow and injuries are only going to continue to pile up. Though he has had a pretty healthy season this year.
xercuses and aedoran liked this.
Apr. 11 at 10:06 a.m.
The Ducks signed Killorn for a few very good resaons - secondary scoring, veteran leaderships, etc. None of those reasons include being trade bait for an unwanted and undersized defenseman.
Apr. 11 at 10:13 a.m.
Fowler, Zellweger, Mintyukov, LaCombe

Ducks have no real need, want or room for Krug
Apr. 11 at 10:22 a.m.
Quoting: Salzy
Fowler, Zellweger, Mintyukov, LaCombe

Ducks have no real need, want or room for Krug

Vaaks!
GiggywithGibby, OldNYIfan and Salzy liked this.
Apr. 11 at 10:28 a.m.
Good Opinion Haver
Edited Apr. 11 at 10:36 a.m.

send him a message

I think that would make the most sense, He'll be turning 33 tomorrow and injuries are only going to continue to pile up. Though he has had a pretty healthy season this year.

What message is he supposed to be receiving? Don't get old and injured? If someone stupidly offers you 6.5 million until you're 36 you should say no? His on-ice struggles are not effort or buy-in related, at least the way I see it, so he's not going to be jumpstarted by a trip to Springfield. He's just a guy in his 30s who doesn't have 6.5 million dollars a year value anymore. This was a very apparent risk when Armstrong signed him.

I said this yesterday but I don't really see the upside for the Blues on going scorched Earth on Krug- whether that means buying him out or burying him in the minors. The buyout penalty is inherently not worth it, and while Krug might waive his NTC if the alternative is playing in the AHL, I don't think it becomes an easier sell to other teams that he's at all worth acquiring if this bubble playoff team feels he's not good enough to be on their roster.
xercuses liked this.
Apr. 11 at 10:38 a.m.
Quoting: CHAR
The Ducks signed Killorn for a few very good resaons - secondary scoring, veteran leaderships, etc. None of those reasons include being trade bait for an unwanted and undersized defenseman.

Okay, Killorn isn't an option. Thanks. smile
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 11 at 10:47 a.m.
Xercuses
Quoting: TheEarthmaster
What message is he supposed to be receiving? Don't get old and injured? If someone stupidly offers you 6.5 million until you're 36 you should say no? His on-ice struggles are not effort or buy-in related, at least the way I see it, so he's not going to be jumpstarted by a trip to Springfield. He's just a guy in his 30s who doesn't have 6.5 million dollars a year value anymore. This was a very apparent risk when Armstrong signed him.

I said this yesterday but I don't really see the upside for the Blues on going scorched Earth on Krug- whether that means buying him out or burying him in the minors. The buyout penalty is inherently not worth it, and while Krug might waive his NTC if the alternative is playing in the AHL, I don't think it becomes an easier sell to other teams that he's at all worth acquiring if this bubble playoff team feels he's not good enough to be on their roster.

That’s fair but it’s less about the injury and being old

It’s about making moronic plays
TheEarthmaster liked this.
Apr. 11 at 11:00 a.m.
Good Opinion Haver
That’s fair but it’s less about the injury and being old

It’s about making moronic plays

Well he certainly does that, I'm guess I'm just thinking less about the current quality of the team- I don't know that simply nuking Torey Krug off the roster really changes much of how competitive this roster is in the short term, would really depend on how they replace him- and more about what's the best strategy to turn all these contracts over. I feel like it becomes easier to move him every year the term goes down and the cap goes up, but harder to move him if he's not playing in the NHL at all.
xercuses liked this.
Apr. 11 at 11:21 a.m.
I dont think Pens would want someone like Krug, but if we are just spitballing for fun, what about like Krug/Hayes for Graves/Rakell.
Apr. 11 at 11:30 a.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: GeneralLandro
Vaaks!

Think he was more specifically going with "LHD we already have who can run a PPQB better than Krug"

Vaaks ain't QBing not Power Plays.
OldNYIfan and GeneralLandro liked this.
Apr. 11 at 11:43 a.m.
Krug like Gallagher in MTL is an untradeable asset at this point in their careers. Buyout or a very limited role for remainder of contract is all you can do at this point.

He clearly can still play PP so might as well give him all those minutes and play him as a 5-6th dman 5v5. Hopefully the PP points outweigh the defensive ineptitude.
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 11 at 11:55 a.m.
Edited Apr. 11 at 12:11 p.m.
Yes make the Devils SMALLLLLLER good idea. you guys just post anything that you think is smart without thinking eh. Palat for Krug is a do nothing trade.
Apr. 11 at 12:42 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Anaheim wouldn't want Torey Krug for free. Aside from the objection to moving Killorn specifically illuminated by my esteemed friend @CHAR, we're overstocked at LhD already as noted by my esteemed friend @Salzy.
GeneralLandro, aedoran and Salzy liked this.
Apr. 11 at 2:58 p.m.
Quoting: TyeZerker
Yes make the Devils SMALLLLLLER good idea. you guys just post anything that you think is smart without thinking eh. Palat for Krug is a do nothing trade.

As I told someone else, I just tried looking for players with a similar-ish caphit and term and haven't been looking at specific teams at all. I don't know anything what other teams needs are, hence the topic asking for feedback. In this case with the Devils, it doesn't fit... so we can scratch them from the list.
Apr. 11 at 3:09 p.m.
Quoting: Marcsnack
I dont think Pens would want someone like Krug, but if we are just spitballing for fun, what about like Krug/Hayes for Graves/Rakell.

Oof... I would have to really think about that one, although I wouldn't say no directly. Graves (also) has it's wharts but stylistically he fits the Blues a lot better than Krug. Rakell can also be a useful player for us in a third line role. So for us, it sounds like an interesting swap, I feel like the Blues get the slightly better players, Pens get shorter contracts.

Other Blues fans want to chime in?
Apr. 11 at 3:12 p.m.
Quoting: Beauterham
Oof... I would have to really think about that one, although I wouldn't say no directly. Graves (also) has it's wharts but stylistically he fits the Blues a lot better than Krug. Rakell can also be a useful player for us in a third line role. So for us, it sounds like an interesting swap, I feel like the Blues get the slightly better players, Pens get shorter contracts.

Other Blues fans want to chime in?

I feel the same. I do think Graves is a good player in the right system. I really do think his style of play is much better suited to play with Letang/Karlsson than Krug is, but this was just a random idea.
Beauterham liked this.
Apr. 11 at 3:16 p.m.
Quoting: Marcsnack
I feel the same. I do think Graves is a good player in the right system. I really do think his style of play is much better suited to play with Letang/Karlsson than Krug is, but this was just a random idea.

If it was up to me, I think I'd do it. The Rakell/Graves contracts are both front loaded which should make it easier to move them when they have just a couple of years term left.
Marcsnack liked this.
Apr. 11 at 3:51 p.m.
SkateOrDie
PIT wants nothing to do with Krug, the last thing they need is a purely offensive defenseman who can't handle his own zone.

For the record.
ATM Krug is a 3rd pairing ..... he is currently a 3-3.5 million player

Those two statements don't jive.
No one wants to pay a 3rd pairing guy 3-3.25 million per.
No one.
He's not worth 3 million per. Maybe 1-1.5
It's the real problem with him and why STL is stuck with him. Even if they were to retain him at 50% he's not worth it to another team.
This is what happens when one moment in one game becomes the definition of a player. The illegal launch himself into another player hit that made STL think he could play defense when there was a whole history of him frankly sucking.
No you are stuck on that contract. I think the best option is to buy it out.
Apr. 11 at 3:53 p.m.
Zero chance ANA adds a LHD and Killer isn’t going anywhere 1 year after they signed him. All around that one just isn’t happening
OldNYIfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll