SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 6 - Nearly Playoffs

Apr. 25 at 2:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 25 at 2:18 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
Yah what? Willy just has a migraine? Look I’m sure that’s no fun at all but this is the Stanley Cup playoffs and you’re being payed 11.5 million dollars. You’d think that’s something you can push through, and if it isn’t maybe you don’t deserve 11.5 million dollars

Its a bit more complex then that but idk if it is just a migraine im going so no advil wink

But yea im still stummped how its happened like I watched the FLA game, TBL game, and Det game and nobody hit his head but im also getting the vibes he may have been dealing with something before playoffs
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 25 at 2:06 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Yea thats what im thinking. I have dealt with them they no joke but its just so weird its coming now. Like I have scanned through all the older games to see okay where could it have happened and there really isnt one hit or impact that could have did it.

The fact its stummping doctors be a bit of a concern.

There wouldn't need to be an instance that caused it... He's dealt with migraines for quite some time now - that's why he switched to a tinted visor. It's concerning if it's gotten to a point that he's sitting out this time of year. It could be something very serious.
Apr. 25 at 2:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
There wouldn't need to be an instance that caused it... He's dealt with migraines for quite some time now - that's why he switched to a tinted visor. It's concerning if it's gotten to a point that he's sitting out this time of year.

Yep

And honestly Keefe's quote "hes done for regular season games" has me like so why didnt we just rest him and go 11-7 lul

As this seems almost like he was dealing with something or was distracted before but it wasnt as bad

I really hope they didnt let is escalate into a potential series misser

But yea just give him 10 Ibobrofin and sure he may be high but get him into game 4 wink
Apr. 25 at 2:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Honestly SD said something that I agree on. Matthews should be out on both PP units like what WSH do with Ovie. He aint playing next shift anyways

Just try something

But anyways every practice till Saturday better be PP and PK work
CameronSquires liked this.
Apr. 25 at 3:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 25 at 4:08 p.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
3 goals a game isn't a winning goalie. And he will allow that. Sometimes less and sometimes more but he will average 3 a game. He's not good enough.

Not scoring more than 2 goals a game 9 of 10 playoff games is the bigger concern and makes the situation worse

Again were focusing on the wrong area lul

If TOR's special teams were going TOR wins game 3 easily even if Sammy allowed 3 no questions asked. Sadly this team goes from second best in offense to Sahara desert when it matters. BOS gifted us 5 PP's and we went zilch on all of them. That sums it up best.

Im more concerned for a 1/11 PP and a 50% PK then for a goalie whose put up a 0.932 game 2 and a 0.910 game 3. Game 1 was an issue but when your getting better than league avg goaltending that gives you a good shot to win.

How about this team specifically the big boyz start putting pucks in the back of the net. So far between the 3 of them (Matthews, Marner, JT) its 5 points and 2 goals. I dont care for luck, posts, Swayman, etc. Those 3 are making over 30m combined. When TOR offense flows through these guys when they aint getting it done problem's on full display rn. If this team was getting 4 or 5 goals a game these playoffs but were losing would agree goaltending's the issue but TOR so far has scored 1 goal game 1, 3 game 2 and 2 game 3. Sammy in game 1 meh but game 2 and 3 played well enough for them to win if they were properly playing and in game 2 we got it, 3 nope. They are not built for these low scoring slug fests. They are playing playoff hockey physically yes, but are also shooting themselves in the foot with both how they are built and playing special team wise.

In the end no matter whose in net your not winning if your team is not scoring

Woll, Sammy, Jones, etc dont matter if your offense and or defense aint getting it done

And for those who go oh Swayman's good....TOR dont have insane firepower including a man with 69 goals. Its time to show up in more than just one game and put pucks not just past Ullmark. We have to score goals its as simple as that

Side note: ****ing Hunter strikes again just had to draft Scott over Swayman despite multiple interviews with the kid lul
palhal liked this.
Apr. 25 at 5:29 p.m.
Amirov Forever
I wonder if the Leafs would be in on Gustavsson if he becomes available this offseason
Apr. 25 at 5:32 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
I wonder if the Leafs would be in on Gustavsson if he becomes available this offseason

I don't see why he would be available, but if he is, you at least make the call.
aadoyle liked this.
Apr. 25 at 5:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05

With the Wild's situation I doubt he's available as MAF aint playing there forever and they have 0 idea what Wallstedt is gonna be

Just keep the assets and go sign Stolarz in the summer
Apr. 25 at 5:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I don't see why he would be available, but if he is, you at least make the call.

Yep just got some nagging feeling though they would be like okay so Knies? lul

To me with how goalies are spending assets on one is to big of a gamble

Like were seeing the current fav for the Vezina get shelled rn.

This FA has some nice options I say go get one of those

Stolarz or Brossoit would not be bad options to explore as then you can see what you have in Woll and go okay is he the guy. If yes your set, if not then tough decisions will need to be made
Apr. 25 at 6:08 p.m.

But yea this is something new president of MLSE should talk about with the board and stuff. Look what Masai was able to do with Raptor culture and ****. Tickets aint super cheap but dam fans go wild for em. I bet he fought for affordable pricing, Shanahan or someone should do the same.

As ScotiaBank cant become a Morgue lul

Raptors tickets are just more affordable and that's fact because I have been to at least 1 Raptors game a year. You wouldn't catch me at a Leafs game because the ticket prices sky high.

It has nothing to do with Masai but everything to do with greed. MLSE knows they can charge whatever for Leafs tickets and get away with it...it's not quite the same with the Raptors.
Apr. 25 at 6:15 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 25 at 6:31 p.m.
Quoting: oneX
Raptors tickets are just more affordable and that's fact because I have been to at least 1 Raptors game a year. You wouldn't catch me at a Leafs game because the ticket prices sky high.

It has nothing to do with Masai but everything to do with greed. MLSE knows they can charge whatever for Leafs tickets and get away with it...it's not quite the same with the Raptors.

No I remember Masai interfering with the board when it comes to it at times. Was a factor in why Rogers didnt want him back lul. Now he doesnt have a choice due to economy but before he made sure we didnt see Raptors tickets become Leaf tickets.

But he has discussed it before "It's above me, but it's also concerning my team, so yes we have 100% input in this, and we have to look at market prices everywhere in the NBA and in our market. We have to consider our fans too. It's been looked at in every way possible"

I think if u had a Leafs president who complained enough you would see better prices. Not super affordable but not what were currently seeing. Heck maybe the new MLSE CEO will go to the board and say look we need better prices for the fans as we need a new culture here not just business snoozefest topia lul

Lets see cause if this keeps up eventually TOR seats will just be filled with black suits and ties and briefcases by 2027 100% lul
Apr. 25 at 7:02 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
No I remember Masai interfering with the board when it comes to it at times. Was a factor in why Rogers didnt want him back lul. Now he doesnt have a choice due to economy but before he made sure we didnt see Raptors tickets become Leaf tickets.

But he has discussed it before "It's above me, but it's also concerning my team, so yes we have 100% input in this, and we have to look at market prices everywhere in the NBA and in our market. We have to consider our fans too. It's been looked at in every way possible"

I think if u had a Leafs president who complained enough you would see better prices. Not super affordable but not what were currently seeing. Heck maybe the new MLSE CEO will go to the board and say look we need better prices for the fans as we need a new culture here not just business snoozefest topia lul

Lets see cause if this keeps up eventually TOR seats will just be filled with black suits and ties and briefcases by 2027 100% lul

Quoting: oneX

The Leafs need to look into building a new arena (ideally right beside the current one) or rebuilding the ACC to increase capacity. They could easily push 30k, keep their high priced seats and have more reasonable nosebleeds.

I dream of a time where someone living in London can grab a round trip Go train (need to have them run late enough to go home) and see a Leafs game for about $150.

The rebuild plan would be multiple years of construction so they'd need to start working on a temporary home now where they can play for a few years that isn't a Coyotes situation. No fewer than 16k ideally. Does anyone know how large Hamilton's new arena is? I know the Bulldogs have moved out to brantford while its being built.

Edit:
Hamilton looks like the answer. God bless Tim Leiweke https://venuesnow.com/280-million-hamilton-arena-project-takes-shape/
Apr. 25 at 7:03 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
The Leafs need to look into building a new arena (ideally right beside the current one) or rebuilding the ACC to increase capacity. They could easily push 30k, keep their high priced seats and have more reasonable nosebleeds.

I dream of a time where someone living in London can grab a round trip Go train and see a Leafs game for about $150.

The rebuild plan would be multiple years of construction so they'd need to start working on a temporary home now where they can play for a few years that isn't a Coyotes situation. No fewer than 16k ideally. Does anyone know how large Hamilton's new arena is? I know the Bulldogs have moved out to brantford while its being built

Wouldnt mind somewhere outside downtown but like not in the outskirts of Whoville

Basically buy a big piece of land and make a nice little complex with a thing like Jurassic park, a stadium, and other things

Reasonable ticket prices and once games start you can barely hear yourselves

Also a president who cares for more than just the buisness but the fans to. A Masai for the leafs of sorts.
Apr. 25 at 7:06 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Wouldnt mind somewhere outside downtown but like not in the outskirts of Whoville

No. Downtown next to the train station is a must
Apr. 25 at 7:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
No. Downtown next to the train station is a must

If Toronto would just work on that LRT then man the stadium possibilities would be endless. As then if you had proper transportation could have it almost anywhere within reason

Honestly maybe MLSE should have agreed to partnering with that guy who ended up buying Pitt

As then you would have a super corporation with a **** tonne of money and could probs lower ticket prices through the joint partnership
Apr. 25 at 7:13 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
If Toronto would just work on that LRT then man the stadium possibilities would be endless. As then if you had proper transportation could have it almost anywhere within reason

Heavy rail is so much better than light rail it isn't even funny - particularly within Toronto. Putting it in Union makes the most sense, but elsewhere along the line works too. Maybe build exhibition out into a full station and put a new Arena right there.

It allows you to use the current network, but also expand outside of Toronto.

Toronto's big advantage over every other NA city is GO. We need to use it as much as possible (in everything)
Apr. 25 at 9:08 p.m.
Rip
Not scoring more than 2 goals a game 9 of 10 playoff games is the bigger concern and makes the situation worse

Again were focusing on the wrong area lul

If TOR's special teams were going TOR wins game 3 easily even if Sammy allowed 3 no questions asked. Sadly this team goes from second best in offense to Sahara desert when it matters. BOS gifted us 5 PP's and we went zilch on all of them. That sums it up best.

Im more concerned for a 1/11 PP and a 50% PK then for a goalie whose put up a 0.932 game 2 and a 0.910 game 3. Game 1 was an issue but when your getting better than league avg goaltending that gives you a good shot to win.

How about this team specifically the big boyz start putting pucks in the back of the net. So far between the 3 of them (Matthews, Marner, JT) its 5 points and 2 goals. I dont care for luck, posts, Swayman, etc. Those 3 are making over 30m combined. When TOR offense flows through these guys when they aint getting it done problem's on full display rn. If this team was getting 4 or 5 goals a game these playoffs but were losing would agree goaltending's the issue but TOR so far has scored 1 goal game 1, 3 game 2 and 2 game 3. Sammy in game 1 meh but game 2 and 3 played well enough for them to win if they were properly playing and in game 2 we got it, 3 nope. They are not built for these low scoring slug fests. They are playing playoff hockey physically yes, but are also shooting themselves in the foot with both how they are built and playing special team wise.

In the end no matter whose in net your not winning if your team is not scoring

Woll, Sammy, Jones, etc dont matter if your offense and or defense aint getting it done

And for those who go oh Swayman's good....TOR dont have insane firepower including a man with 69 goals. Its time to show up in more than just one game and put pucks not just past Ullmark. We have to score goals its as simple as that

Side note: ****ing Hunter strikes again just had to draft Scott over Swayman despite multiple interviews with the kid lul

Look the special teams need to be better. Without question. But can you honestly say that literally having to score 4 goals a game to have any real chance at winning in the playoffs? That's the margin of error with Sammy. To really have long term success we have to score 4 goals a game in the playoffs. Boston knows that if they score 2, they have a solid chance of winning. 3 and it's pretty much in the bag. Score 4 and it's out of reach. Toronto needs to score 4 to feel comfortable. How many games does Sammy need to play showing exactly this for you to realize he shouldn't be the starter? I am honestly curious here. Because we are down 2-1 and suck on home ice, with a absent PP and need to pot 4 goals on a very good goalie to even have a chance.
Apr. 25 at 9:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 25 at 10:13 p.m.
Look the special teams need to be better. Without question. But can you honestly say that literally having to score 4 goals a game to have any real chance at winning in the playoffs? That's the margin of error with Sammy. To really have long term success we have to score 4 goals a game in the playoffs. Boston knows that if they score 2, they have a solid chance of winning. 3 and it's pretty much in the bag. Score 4 and it's out of reach. Toronto needs to score 4 to feel comfortable. How many games does Sammy need to play showing exactly this for you to realize he shouldn't be the starter? I am honestly curious here. Because we are down 2-1 and suck on home ice, with a absent PP and need to pot 4 goals on a very good goalie to even have a chance.

TOR is not built to be able to win these low scoring games they just aint. TOR is built for a high scoring game where they let in 2 or 3 but score 4 or 5.

When you have Matthews, Marner, Nylander (when healthy) and JT, scoring less than 3 goals 9 of 10 playoff games is not acceptable. And this is especially the case for the PP. Leafs finished the regular season second in GF with 3.63

So far TOR is basically setting itself up to where their goalie is gonna have to be excellent every game and defense is gonna need to be stellar after goal 1 or 2 otherwise they done.

Matthews is gonna be making 13.25m next year but so far in 3 gp 1 goal 2 assists meanwhile 4m Debrusk 3 goals and 2 assists.

Sammy in games 2 and 3 has a combined 2.53gaa and a 0.919SV give him goal support you win both those games as he's giving you enough saves to win both. But game 3 0/5 on the PP. Imagine if it converted 2 or 3 times. 6-3 (potential EN) win game 3.

So far this series highlights the big issue of this team. When you have more than 50% of your cap tied into 4 players and those players do not perform or miss said series this team goes nowhere. And also with that money tied to others cant improve other area's such as the bottom 6 or Dcore. Other than Kampf no bottom 6 depth scoring.

Again it all comes down to not scoring for this team not goaltending/whose in net. I dont care for luck or ABC. Enough these guys make the big money go put pucks past Swayman and not just 1 or 2 no shell him. Give him a bad game or two on that resume where u put 5 goals on him.

Look at the Avs and Hellybuyck. Georgiev is the second best goalie of the series and look how the Avs have dealt with it by shelling Hellybuyck

Like we just gonna add Swayman to the list of hot goalies who smacked us as its a growing list by the series and these guys should be sick of it
Apr. 25 at 9:51 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Further to my point above game 4 is a do or die.

Big 3 or 4 idk if Willy's there better show up along with Rielly whose playoff mode seems to have not activated yet.

BOS is gonna for some reason shove Ullmark back in despite Swayman eating us alive

Shell him with 5 or 6 goals
Apr. 25 at 10:21 p.m.
Rip
TOR is not built to be able to win these low scoring games they just aint. TOR is built for a high scoring game where they let in 2 or 3 but score 4 or 5.

When you have Matthews, Marner, Nylander (when healthy) and JT, scoring less than 3 goals 9 of 10 playoff games is not acceptable. And this is especially the case for the PP. Leafs finished the regular season second in GF with 3.63

So far TOR is basically setting itself up to where their goalie is gonna have to be excellent every game and defense is gonna need to be stellar after goal 1 or 2 otherwise they done.

Matthews is gonna be making 13.25m next year but so far in 3 gp 1 goal 2 assists meanwhile 4m Debrusk 3 goals and 2 assists.

Sammy in games 2 and 3 has a combined 2.53gaa and a 0.919SV give him goal support you win both those games as he's giving you enough saves to win both. But game 3 0/5 on the PP. Imagine if it converted 2 or 3 times. 6-3 (potential EN) win game 3.

So far this series highlights the big issue of this team. When you have more than 50% of your cap tied into 4 players and those players do not perform or miss said series this team goes nowhere. And also with that money tied to others cant improve other area's such as the bottom 6 or Dcore. Other than Kampf no bottom 6 depth scoring.

Again it all comes down to not scoring for this team not goaltending/whose in net. I dont care for luck or ABC. Enough these guys make the big money go put pucks past Swayman and not just 1 or 2 no shell him. Give him a bad game or two on that resume where u put 5 goals on him.

Look at the Avs and Hellybuyck. Georgiev is the second best goalie of the series and look how the Avs have dealt with it by shelling Hellybuyck

Like we just gonna add Swayman to the list of hot goalies who smacked us as its a growing list by the series and these guys should be sick of it

Then Keefe needs to be fired. Because this team absolutely could change some things and become way more conservative and still have very good zone time and cycle chances. But he doesn't want to change it, or can't because the players don't listen. In either case the coach has to go.

Back to Sammy though, this has been his career in the playoffs, what is he at now 20 starts or something and and he's won 5 or 6 games total and has been at or above 3 GAA every single time he's been in the playoffs. He's going to let in 3. That's playoff Sammy. That first goal in game 3 was brutal. Who cares that the play should have been called dead, it wasn't and he just missed a shot he absolutely should have had. It won't happen every night but it's going to happen and way too often. And he'll let in 3 a night regardless. Woll wasn't great down the stretch but the team certainly didn't show up for him in most of his last few starts. If he's feeling confident and ready to go, give him a try. Let in 3 or less, that's the bar. He was soo good last year in his 2 starts. Give him a shot.
Apr. 25 at 10:28 p.m.
Rip

A different coach is needed. Keefe will be the fall guy here and to be honest it's deserved.
Apr. 25 at 10:40 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 26 at 12:30 a.m.
A different coach is needed. Keefe will be the fall guy here and to be honest it's deserved.

A different coach wont fix an issue whereby 4 players who can score 30+ goals in the regular season all of a sudden struggle to produce in playoffs

Other than Willy neither of the other 3 have consistently performed up to the standards placed.

How many coaches, GM's, Presidents, etc do we need to go through before we start going hmmm maybe investing in 4 expensive guys aint it

Like it will help a little bit but there are other factors in play. As mentioned 4 guys taking away more than 50% of the cap does not allow for good depth, or defense, or goaltending

So far we have 1 goal from B6 and its Kampf rest have come from top 6. But even then in this series its not enough

Like man if im the CEO of MLSE I look and go so we paid these guys how much and we cant score more than 2 goals in playoffs hmmm lul. Love watching each of the big 4 but change needed to happen last year for one or two of them to create a more balanced team

Also should have just gave Carbery more money than he ever would have got from WSH even though he was an assistant coach to stay the PP coach
Apr. 26 at 7:40 a.m.
Rip
A different coach wont fix an issue whereby 4 players who can score 30+ goals in the regular season all of a sudden struggle to produce in playoffs

Other than Willy neither of the other 3 have consistently performed up to the standards placed.

How many coaches, GM's, Presidents, etc do we need to go through before we start going hmmm maybe investing in 4 expensive guys aint it

Like it will help a little bit but there are other factors in play. As mentioned 4 guys taking away more than 50% of the cap does not allow for good depth, or defense, or goaltending

So far we have 1 goal from B6 and its Kampf rest have come from top 6. But even then in this series its not enough

Like man if im the CEO of MLSE I look and go so we paid these guys how much and we cant score more than 2 goals in playoffs hmmm lul. Love watching each of the big 4 but change needed to happen last year for one or two of them to create a more balanced team

Also should have just gave Carbery more money than he ever would have got from WSH even though he was an assistant coach to stay the PP coach

May as well trade everyone and start over eh? Keep Sammy and Robertson and everyone else should be out the door. Keefe is a real winner all he needs is Sammy and they are unbeatable.

The core blaming fans who give Sammy and Keefe a pass are just ridiculous
Apr. 26 at 2:30 p.m.
Sadness
Should Woll start tomorrow night?

Should there be any roster changes?

Will Willy be back?

Will the leafs win?
oneX liked this.
Apr. 26 at 2:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Apr. 26 at 2:59 p.m.
Quoting: CameronSquires
Should Woll start tomorrow night?

Should there be any roster changes?

Will Willy be back?

Will the leafs win?

There's already a roster change coming (Brodie is in game 4)

No you dont need a goaltending change as the numbers 2 and 3 were not bad enough nor should there be unless we see a game 1 performance or injury

Willy is probs gonna be back like you have no choice at this point

And will they win idk but if their special teams dont improve than its looking doubtful

Doesnt help they on a 5 game losing streak at home in playoffs to

Anyways lets see

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll