SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

50Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 5 - TDL additions (Go Big or Go Small)

Feb. 26 at 4:37 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Speaking of Matthews. Did anyone notice in the game in Arizona, the camera angles. Was it just me, but the by the positioning of the camera (probably closer to the ice), the ice surface looked wider than it does in other televised games. Really looked they were playing on European ice.
Feb. 26 at 5:11 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: palhal
Speaking of Matthews. Did anyone notice in the game in Arizona, the camera angles. Was it just me, but the by the positioning of the camera (probably closer to the ice), the ice surface looked wider than it does in other televised games. Really looked they were playing on European ice.

Nah ARI ice just be cheap like man there was a lot of blue and stuff. Probs were just seeing things

Just move em already
Feb. 26 at 5:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Wanna know whats funny

Yzerman gave Justin Holl 3.4m to sit in the press box

No joke has not played since Jan 31
NorthernLeafsFan05, palhal, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 26 at 5:33 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
Wanna know whats funny

Shocker
Feb. 26 at 5:34 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Shocker

Now he might be hurt but the last report on that came Dec 30. No word in Jan/Feb and records show he did play
Feb. 26 at 5:38 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Now he might be hurt but the last report on that came Dec 30. No word in Jan/Feb and records show he did play

I'd be more inclined to believe it's because he is terrible. Capfriendly's depth charts have him listed as healthy, so he's just scratched.

Thank god that guy is gone.
aadoyle liked this.
Feb. 26 at 5:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
A buddy suggested a trade. The one issue I said was how sheltered one of the guys is

The targets = Thomas Novak and Dante Fabbro

My one gripe is Novak is heavily sheltered by NSH
Feb. 26 at 5:48 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Wanna know whats funny

I was really surprised that Holl got a contract like that. I was a Holl supporter but in his last two seasons his skating had slowed considerably which affected his effectiveness. I'm surprised that the Wings or any team couldn't see his decline in play.
Feb. 27 at 1:36 a.m.

The cameras in that arena are closer to ice level than all the other arenas in the league. Of course it's also a minor league arena so that has everything to do with it.

Was listening to the Overdrive show and they were talking about if/when Matthews is headed to the Hall of Fame, footage from that game would probably be part of his highlight package and how it would be sad seeing that a memorable moment for Matthews happened in a minor league arena with around 4K fans only.

During the second intermission ofthe game, Justin Bourne joked about this game being a private ceremony for Matthews. LoL

This is so embarrassing for the NHL.
palhal and Trickster liked this.
Feb. 27 at 8:42 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: oneX
The cameras in that arena are closer to ice level than all the other arenas in the league. Of course it's also a minor league arena so that has everything to do with it.

Was listening to the Overdrive show and they were talking about if/when Matthews is headed to the Hall of Fame, footage from that game would probably be part of his highlight package and how it would be sad seeing that a memorable moment for Matthews happened in a minor league arena with around 4K fans only.

During the second intermission ofthe game, Justin Bourne joked about this game being a private ceremony for Matthews. LoL

This is so embarrassing for the NHL.

The NHL (meaning the owners) only have themselves to blame. They allowed a group of Phoenix "owners" to join the league, though they didn't have the money. It was bubble of real estate and arena deals that had to work perfectly to make an the Coyotes viable. Most of the current NHL owners owe their franchise because of Bettman. Bettman's vision of USA wide national sport and TV revenue for the NHL hasn't worked at all.
Feb. 27 at 9:43 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
The NHL (meaning the owners) only have themselves to blame. They allowed a group of Phoenix "owners" to join the league, though they didn't have the money. It was bubble of real estate and arena deals that had to work perfectly to make an the Coyotes viable. Most of the current NHL owners owe their franchise because of Bettman. Bettman's vision of USA wide national sport and TV revenue for the NHL hasn't worked at all.

I used to think that... But think about how many more Americans are watching the NHL?

That's what Bettman's wanted and that's what he's getting... And he'll sacrifice 1 franchise to make it work
Feb. 27 at 12:43 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I cant even begin to describe how much I'd trade for this guy.

If Vanouver has lost him, we need to make an all in push this summer for him
Feb. 27 at 12:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Random2152
I cant even begin to describe how much I'd trade for this guy.

If Vanouver has lost him, we need to make an all in push this summer for him

I can see a way but it would have to be done before the draft and involve Willy (factoring in Pete not wanting to extend there)

But what I wouldnt like is having someone whose gonna cost more than Willy lul
Feb. 27 at 12:55 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I can see a way but it would have to be done before the draft and involve Willy (factoring in Pete not wanting to extend there)

But what I wouldnt like is having someone whose gonna cost more than Willy lul

Nah we can do it and keep the core 4. 1 lean year then JT gets his "legacy" discount contract to play out his career which makes it real easy going forwards
Feb. 27 at 1:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 27 at 1:08 p.m.
Nah we can do it and keep the core 4. 1 lean year then JT gets his "legacy" discount contract to play out his career which makes it real easy going forwards

5 guys in double digits would not be ideal even if JT was to expire the following season as it dont give us much room for improvement. Would be cool but also would cause problems

As if Pete asks for 12.6m

We got including that

11m JT
13.25m Matthews
11.5m Willy
10.9m Marner

or 59.25m

Factor all the other factors and its gonna be hard to field a really good team with an improved Dcore and stuff. Nice in fantasy to hard in reality unless Willy would go to balance it out and with his extension Van would probs go for it

Basically what CGY and FLA did but with not so much of an age gap
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 27 at 1:02 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
5 guys in double digits would not be ideal even if JT was to expire the following season as it dont give us much room for a better blue line

As if Pete asks for 12.6m

We got including that

11m JT
13.25m Matthews
11.5m Willy
10.9m Marner

or 49.25m

Factor all the other factors and its gonna be hard to field a really good team with an improved Dcore and stuff. Nice in fantasy to hard in reality unless Willy would go to balance it out and with his extension Van would probs go for it

The rumoured deal to Petey is 8@12.

That leaves us 13.5 Mil to sign 8 skaters + up to 3 scratches. Given the upside, that's more than worth it. We don't need high end prospects coming up, just need guys who can hang like Holmberg
Feb. 27 at 1:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 27 at 1:11 p.m.
The rumoured deal to Petey is 812.

That leaves us 13.5 Mil to sign 8 skaters + up to 3 scratches. Given the upside, that's more than worth it. We don't need high end prospects coming up, just need guys who can hang like Holmberg

Considering what the team needs that 13.5m gonna get eaten up pretty quick by potentially one or two guys in FA

As we need to extend Liligren, Benoit, Robertson, and McMann add 2 new RD, and then add some more depth

Even before Benoit could be in 1m range, Liligren 3-5m range, McMann and Robertson also 1m range to start

Its nice in fantasy but to hard in reality unless 11.5m was to go the other way. As then its a 1.1m increase from whats projected next year

Would be interesting though. Pete, Matthews, Marner as the new core 3 and get 2 years younger
Feb. 27 at 1:10 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Considering what the team needs that 13.5m gonna get eaten up pretty quick by potentially one or two guys in FA

As we need to extend Liligren, Benoit, Robertson, and McMann add 2 new RD, and then add some more depth

Even before Benoit could be in 1m range, Liligren 3-5m range, McMann and Robertson also 1m range to start

Its nice in fantasy but to hard in reality unless 11.5m was to go the other way. As then its a 1.1m increase from whats projected next year

You seem to think these players are going to cost more than 1 Mil?
That would be silly. (Except Lily, 3@3 for him).

It's very easy, just don't overpay your depth like you seem to want to do
Feb. 27 at 1:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 27 at 1:26 p.m.
You seem to think these players are going to cost more than 1 Mil?
That would be silly. (Except Lily, 33 for him).

It's very easy, just don't overpay your depth like you seem to want to do

If we look at Robertson + McMann the comparable rn = Pospisil or Hoglander 1-1.1m

Both I see rn in Pospisil type deals but McMann being a UFA might up the price (Hopefully for both 2 years 1m)

Liligren will be around 3-5m based on term and comparable

Personal prediction like Roy 3.15m x 3 years

Benoit is tricky but the range is 850k -1m based on guys like (Hutton, Englund, Kulikov, Välimäki)

Personally see a deal in 950k x 3 years like Mayo's

In the end its to to tight of a squeeze unless u move out one of the other double digit deals and cause they guys extended Van's probs gonna eye Willy
Feb. 27 at 1:28 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
If we look at Robertson + McMann the comparable rn = Pospisil or Hoglander 1-1.1m

Both I see rn in Pospisil type deals but McMann being a UFA might up the price (Hopefully for both 2 years 1m)

Liligren will be around 3-5m based on term and comparable

Personal prediction like Roy 3.15m x 3 years

Benoit is tricky but the range is 850k -1m based on guys like (Hutton, Englund, Kulikov, Välimäki)

Personally see a deal in 950k x 3 years like Mayo's

In the end its to to tight of a squeeze unless u move out one of the other double digit deals and cause they guys extended Van's probs gonna eye Willy

You do not move an 11 million dollar player so you can pay depth an extra 300k.

That would be absolutely ****ing ****
Feb. 27 at 1:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
You do not move an 11 million dollar player so you can pay depth an extra 300k.

That would be absolutely ****ing ****

What players getting an extra 300k lul

They all getting what their value's are

U want good depth u got to spend. Cant expect everyone to take league min. They gonna want/get raises

Robertson and Pospisil are in the same threshold of playtime, point totals and one got a 2 year 1m extension. Agent gonna want that for Robbie

Benoit has been good and has played above his role at times, this is gonna factor in

McMann's on a tear and season aint over yet

And Liligren has some expensive comparables rn
Feb. 27 at 1:30 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I used to think that... But think about how many more Americans are watching the NHL?

That's what Bettman's wanted and that's what he's getting... And he'll sacrifice 1 franchise to make it work

Admitting more are watching. But not that much as the each team still only generates an average of 170m in total revenue. The USA big TV money never happened.
Feb. 27 at 1:31 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
What players getting an extra 300k lul

They all getting what their value's are

U want good depth u got to spend. Cant expect everyone to take league min. They gonna want/get raises

Good depth is not a money issue. It's a scouting issue.
You do not gotta sacrifice a player of willies or ep40s calibre to get it. Only the dumbest people (Hello Holland) think that
Feb. 27 at 1:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Good depth is not a money issue. It's a scouting issue.
You do not gotta sacrifice a player of willies or ep40s calibre to get it. Only the dumbest people (Hello Holland) think that

In general good depth is not cheap. Rn factoring the extensions to some guys (Robertson, Benoit, Liligren) and other factors its to hard for the leafs to have 5 guys in double digits and field a strong cup contender

Now if u do money in and out its doable as basically just add 1.1m to whatever the team projections were with Willy next year.

But 5 is just pushing things to far. As sure can field with a bunch of league mins but thats not gonna end well unless u hit the motherload but to hit on 5 league mins be rare if ever done.

As for the goaltending especially were gonna need a proper backup for Woll as if he hurts himself again and hes got an injury history things could get ugly.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 27 at 1:38 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
In general good depth is not cheap.

The exact opposite is true

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll