SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Why are we comparing Slafkovsky to Jack Hughes

Feb. 17 at 4:26 p.m.
Jay27
Quoting: Bcarlo25
nemec has been head and shoulders above him this season - that's undeniable. stop looking at a couple weeks of shooting 40% and thinking it changes things.

So I should only take into account the weeks before when his shooting % was well below league average? Shooters are streaky, that is how it works. He’s now shooting just a tad over %14 on the season. He started the season with strong play but was snake bitten and not putting up points, now his luck has turned, he’s gaining confidence and putting the puck in the net but you want me to ignore it. You’re logic makes little sense.
Feb. 17 at 4:48 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: Jay27
So I should only take into account the weeks before when his shooting % was well below league average? Shooters are streaky, that is how it works. He’s now shooting just a tad over %14 on the season. He started the season with strong play but was snake bitten and not putting up points, now his luck has turned, he’s gaining confidence and putting the puck in the net but you want me to ignore it. You’re logic makes little sense.

take the big sample over the small sample - because duh.
Feb. 17 at 5:16 p.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM

How about the record for the longest points streak by a teenager ever on the Habs (in over 100 years). Do we also discard that from our analysis "because duh"?
Feb. 17 at 5:30 p.m.
Jay27

Im not saying take either sample over the other but to look at the whole picture. I believe that is quite reasonable…
jonh514 liked this.
Feb. 17 at 5:36 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: jonh514
How about the record for the longest points streak by a teenager ever on the Habs (in over 100 years). Do we also discard that from our analysis "because duh"?

seven? we're here talking about seven games? he also went nine games without a point, and with only nine shots on goal during that stretch. should we have said he wasn't an NHLer then? of course not.

the whole point is, he hasn't really looked like an elite player at any point in time, but rather a good middle six option. nothing wrong with that, but i would hope for more out of the first overall pick.
Feb. 17 at 5:36 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: Jay27
Im not saying take either sample over the other but to look at the whole picture. I believe that is quite reasonable…

which is exactly what i'm doing.
Feb. 17 at 5:38 p.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
seven? we're here talking about seven games? he also went nine games without a point, and with only nine shots on goal during that stretch. should we have said he wasn't an NHLer then? of course not.

the whole point is, he hasn't really looked like an elite player at any point in time, but rather a good middle six option. nothing wrong with that, but i would hope for more out of the first overall pick.

You realize you are saying a kid playing in the 4th line in Arizona is better than him based on your feelings...
Feb. 17 at 5:41 p.m.
Bcarlo25
You realize you are saying a kid playing in the 4th line in Arizona is better than him based on your feelings...

no. you realize you're taking something i've never said, and presented like i've said it.....

I've seen flashes of elite play out of cooley. I've seen a higher ceiling. I just don't think Slavkofsky is going to be top of the lineup offensive threat in this league, and I absolutely can see cooley being that.

he's playing on their 3rd line, FYI.
Feb. 17 at 5:44 p.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
no. you realize you're taking something i've never said, and presented like i've said it.....

I've seen flashes of elite play out of cooley. I've seen a higher ceiling. I just don't think Slavkofsky is going to be top of the lineup offensive threat in this league, and I absolutely can see cooley being that.

he's playing on their 3rd line, FYI.

Depends on the game, and how he plays.

Offence is not everything in this league. Zegras will probably outscore Eichel in his career. Which one do you want on your team?
Feb. 17 at 5:46 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Depends on the game, and how he plays.

Offence is not everything in this league. Zegras will probably outscore Eichel in his career. Which one do you want on your team?

sigh. guess we have to go back to the drawing board on this one.

AGAIN...i am not saying he is a bad player, but for a first overall pick, I would want a higher offensive ceiling.

my subjective opinion is that the vast majority of habs fans would agree with this, but they're lying to themselves.
Feb. 17 at 6:00 p.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
sigh. guess we have to go back to the drawing board on this one.

AGAIN...i am not saying he is a bad player, but for a first overall pick, I would want a higher offensive ceiling.

my subjective opinion is that the vast majority of habs fans would agree with this, but they're lying to themselves.

I think the majority of Habs fans expect him to be a 30 goal 60 pts player who plays 2 ways and think he has the upside to be a PPG player.

His defensive play and puck protection just keep getting better and I really don't see Logan Cooley having the same impact as Slaf "away from the puck".

Anyway time will tell, but no, we are not lying to ourselves just because we don't agree with you.
Feb. 17 at 6:05 p.m.
Bcarlo25
I think the majority of Habs fans expect him to be a 30 goal 60 pts player who plays 2 ways and think he has the upside to be a PPG player.

His defensive play and puck protection just keep getting better and I really don't see Logan Cooley having the same impact as Slaf "away from the puck".

Anyway time will tell, but no, we are not lying to ourselves just because we don't agree with you.

you might not be. i have seen a LOT of talk about him being elite, or on a path to being elite. if you're not in that camp, and think he'll be a solid scoring threat that plays a good two way game, good on you.
Feb. 17 at 6:10 p.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
you might not be. i have seen a LOT of talk about him being elite, or on a path to being elite. if you're not in that camp, and think he'll be a solid scoring threat that plays a good two way game, good on you.

You can't judge all the members of any group by their extremists. That's how wars get started.
Feb. 17 at 6:16 p.m.
Bcarlo25
You can't judge all the members of any group by their extremists. That's how wars get started.

i think you're in the minority my friend. i'm american, i'm kind of used to certain groups becoming controlled by the extremists!
jonh514 liked this.
Feb. 17 at 6:21 p.m.
HuGo is a Boss GM
i think you're in the minority my friend. i'm american, i'm kind of used to certain groups becoming controlled by the extremists!

American? What are you doing on a hockey forum?! I kid! Fox & MSNBC are very strange places my friend. They make us hockey fans look normal.
Feb. 17 at 6:58 p.m.
Devils are very happy with Nemec...and if 2022 was redrafted again, Montreal would be very happy with him too

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll