SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Site Discussion

Trolls in the comment section

Sep. 15, 2023 at 10:44 a.m.
Banned
I think this site has a big problem with people in the comment section in Armchair GM. You get the same people telling you that you're a troll cus they don't like your trades. Normally this is when you trade a failing prospect or a beloved player. These people commenting are really the trolls and people will bully up on you with negative comments. I believe this site needs to let you block these people. Ignore doesn't work cus they can still see your posts and comment on them. I believe that many fans get attached to prospects too easily and aren't actually watching or understand when they are a bust early enough. A great example of this from the past in Filip Zadina. And now it's Lucas Raymond and Sebastian Cossa. Every team has players like this. If I trade one of these players it's because they aren't good and I don't believe they will turn it around. But you get people on this site that make excuses for their bad play and will call you a troll for trading them. In my opinion they don't watch or just don't know hockey. Also these trolls in the comment section will report you for trolling and the mods will ban you for months. They will just tell you to make better trades. How is this a fair process when you aren't even told what trades aren't fair and why? And that's completely subjective anyways. Most trades in the NHL aren't perfectly fair either. Just look at what Tampa gave up for Tanner Jeannot. So in my opinion no one should get a strike or be banned for a trade or because people report your trades for being troll posts. The people in the comments are the real problem here. You should be able to block them or they should be banned. The point in Armchair GM is to have fun and make trades you would do. It's not let's only make trades that have perfect perceived value based on group think.
Sep. 15, 2023 at 12:20 p.m.
torontos finest
i see you've had the red wings fan experience
Sep. 15, 2023 at 12:51 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
I think CF has run into the problem most big sites (usually social media) run into. There's so many users and posts that they can't moderate everything and if everything isn't moderated, the rules can then feel unclear at times. The ways to get out of that would be to a) add more mods and b) remind users to use the report button, a lot of people complain about users but it feels like they don't report them, a mod can't enforce the rules if they don't know a user has broken them, the report button should be everyone's best friend here if you want the rules to be consistently enforced.
BigBallsBriere liked this.
Sep. 15, 2023 at 2:38 p.m.
Go Habs Go
The tolerance for "trolling" is subjective. Some people are way too sensitive and quick to label a "bad" trade as trolling.
True troll posts are evident and can simply be ignored or reported.
The majority of trades posted will be considered "bad" from any number of perspectives. Levels of knowledge, opinions, and valuations will differ.
If you think a trade proposal/comment is a "troll", don't feed it. Ignoring it is far more effective than anything you might say.
It's frustrating and difficult at times, but that is the nature of attempting to have discussions in online forums. You won't always find responses from people that are worth engaging with that actually wish to discuss the topic at hand.
The people who should be banned will act innocent and point fingers though they know well enough that they deserve it. Mods can only do so much while still appearing unbiased.
You'll have to learn to ignore them or at the very least don't cross lines yourself when engaging with them. It would be nice to remove the truly problematic users, but you often can't do that without capturing some undeserving users in the process. You have to set a standard and stick to it, and the nature of discussion around trade values requires a very high tolerance for that standard.
Therefore you have to allow lopsided proposals and allow people to call them out on it.
Reports or infractions aren't for disagreements, regardless of the valuation under discussion. They are for conduct. There are right and wrong ways to participate and everyone should be free to hold, discuss, and modify their own opinions without moderator interference, as long as they are doing it in a civil way.
A_Habs_fan, BigBallsBriere, OldNYIfan and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 17, 2023 at 9:35 a.m.
Sennecke is a gem
This is probably the best place to say that I believe there is a whole new troll account. Someone has made an account with @palhal profile pic, and name, then processed to make awful takes on everything.
palhal and OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 17, 2023 at 6:49 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: Caufield
This is probably the best place to say that I believe there is a whole new troll account. Someone has made an account with palhal profile pic, and name, then processed to make awful takes on everything.

CapFriendly caught up with him. Pretty quick action, I'd say.
Caufield and BigBallsBriere liked this.
Sep. 17, 2023 at 6:57 p.m.
Sennecke is a gem
Quoting: OldNYIfan
CapFriendly caught up with him. Pretty quick action, I'd say.

great!
OldNYIfan liked this.
Sep. 21, 2023 at 12:13 p.m.
Mr.
the biggest problem is when the other team dont like you trade so they report you as trolling and the arm chair GM teams gets taken down

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll