SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Petry goes where

Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 7, 2023
Published: Aug. 7, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
yeah I know. long strech, Toronto will get more bla bla bla.. THis is an AGM of what can Habs give to Toronto that would be acceptable for them to get given the limited cap space, the contract issue with Nylander and the need for compensation given with a first pick and a second, including a pospect of Ylonen who cost very little for a very good depth chart player.

I figure Nylander would have a 8 to 9M$/yr average contract on the table for at least 6 years prior to the deal being done. ANd I know he's asking for the 10+ but what if he can't get that in Toronto or somewhere else as teams understand he's getting those stats playing with top tier guys that are too greedy to spare a million or two on the table (like Crosby did on so many occasions) to ensure the core stays the same. He may just accept and take the money.. If you figure out they can pay more in the first two to three years then alieviate the momey last three years. He'll get his money up front and be happy.
Trades
TOR
  1. Petry, Jeff ($2,343,750 retained)
  2. Ylönen, Jesse
  3. 2025 1st round pick (CGY)
  4. 2025 2nd round pick (PIT)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$76,723,615$1,170,000$4,210,000$6,776,385
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 4
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
$1,985,000$1,985,000 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
RD
RFA - 1
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 7, 2023 at 2:54 p.m.
Tank it baby
Seems like each time Petry gets traded, fans want him traded immediately. Why is this?
Aug. 7, 2023 at 3:22 p.m.
Amirov Forever
This is exactly what I feared when I saw Montreal got Petry back. Hard pass from the Leafs
Aug. 7, 2023 at 3:25 p.m.
This post literally makes no sense 🤦🏻. No chance the Leafs move Willy for this pile and every reason you wrote for him leaving (signing bonuses, playing with elite talent, max money over 8 year term) is actually why he almost certainly ends up extending with the Leafs.
Aug. 7, 2023 at 3:34 p.m.
Joe
I serve a toast, to every time a Canadiens fan makes a horrible Petry mock trade.
🥃
Aug. 7, 2023 at 3:38 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: MitchJr
This post literally makes no sense 🤦🏻. No chance the Leafs move Willy for this pile and every reason you wrote for him leaving (signing bonuses, playing with elite talent, max money over 8 year term) is actually why he almost certainly ends up extending with the Leafs.

Don’t worry Nylander will walk for nothing in the off-season anyways. Habs never do this trade nor anybody else with that lack of leverage from Toronto with the Matthews pay day looming..

Oh right. I forgot that an American will absolutely turn down a ton of money to play for the Uber successful Leafs with all their championships since the Vietnam War lmao
Aug. 7, 2023 at 3:49 p.m.
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
Don’t worry Nylander will walk for nothing in the off-season anyways. Habs never do this trade nor anybody else with that lack of leverage from Toronto with the Matthews pay day looming..

Oh right. I forgot that an American will absolutely turn down a ton of money to play for the Uber successful Leafs with all their championships since the Vietnam War lmao

I’d go seek help if I were you. Nothing you wrote made any sense 🤔.
1/ Leafs have tons of cap space next year
2/ what American are you talking about, Matthews? This is a post about Willy
3/ who’s turning down money?

Seriously, get some help
drambui and Ritzy liked this.
Aug. 7, 2023 at 4:01 p.m.
FKA Bigtittielarper
Definitely not
Aug. 7, 2023 at 6:29 p.m.
Future Norris guy
That's not even close for William Nylander, And no Petry doesn't waive for the Leafs.
Aug. 7, 2023 at 11:49 p.m.
All the reasons you said for him to leave is why he’ll stay. Leafs have the cap space next year to sign Matthews and Nylander to whatever they want. If they weren’t going to they would’ve traded one of the core at the draft like everyone expected. I don’t see Shanny letting Nylander stay past the deadline if he has no intention of resigning him. Yes Shanny cause he’s the real GM not Brad.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 7:44 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
This is exactly what I feared when I saw Montreal got Petry back. Hard pass from the Leafs

Quoting: MitchJr

Quoting: JoeROFLCOPTER
I serve a toast, to every time a Canadiens fan makes a horrible Petry mock trade.
🥃

And here are the trolls again not reading that I said it would be a long strech, and that this AGM given cap space situation etc from every other team.. But yeah... You guys just come to AGMs and throw insults instead of putting an actual sentence on how he can be moved so that Trevling won't have an headacke next year.. Congrats, you just show how you have no substance and can't activate that brain cell.

Yeah Leafs have tons of space, but when you have a greedy Matthews wanting his next pay-day, Nylander who'll want over 10 next year, ESPECIALLY if he stays with the Leafs, Liljegren who'll want money to stay, and Samsonov who won't be a team player having gone through arbitration and will also want his share of the money for the years to come, that 46M$ will go down hard if they get another good year, or even if they go for an actual cup run this year and make it through to the finals (Which I hope so for them since I actually root for our Canadian teams regardless of my preferred team being the Habs)!

That 46M$ will go down hard.. 15-16M$ Matthews, 10-11M$ Nylander, 7-9M$ Samsonov, 4-5M$ Liljegren = 10M$ left over for 7+ players to sign... You won't have enough to sign back Domi and Bertuzzi if they have a good year, won't have enough to keep Klinberg for another 2-3 years unless he takes a radical pay cut which might happen.. And of Woll doesn't work out, then you suddenly have another goalie situation where Samsonov will need a back-up.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 7:50 a.m.
Joe
Quoting: WhoCares_ItsAFantasyGame
And here are the trolls again not reading that I said it would be a long strech, and that this AGM given cap space situation etc from every other team.. But yeah... You guys just come to AGMs and throw insults instead of putting an actual sentence on how he can be moved so that Trevling won't have an headacke next year.. Congrats, you just show how you have no substance and can't activate that brain cell.

Yeah Leafs have tons of space, but when you have a greedy Matthews wanting his next pay-day, Nylander who'll want over 10 next year, ESPECIALLY if he stays with the Leafs, Liljegren who'll want money to stay, and Samsonov who won't be a team player having gone through arbitration and will also want his share of the money for the years to come, that 46M$ will go down hard if they get another good year, or even if they go for an actual cup run this year and make it through to the finals (Which I hope so for them since I actually root for our Canadian teams regardless of my preferred team being the Habs)!

That 46M$ will go down hard.. 15-16M$ Matthews, 10-11M$ Nylander, 7-9M$ Samsonov, 4-5M$ Liljegren = 10M$ left over for 7+ players to sign... You won't have enough to sign back Domi and Bertuzzi if they have a good year, won't have enough to keep Klinberg for another 2-3 years unless he takes a radical pay cut which might happen.. And of Woll doesn't work out, then you suddenly have another goalie situation where Samsonov will need a back-up.

Ah, since you stated that it's a long stretch, it is clear of all criticism.

Here's a long stretch; Chiarot for Caufield. You can't criticize it.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 7:57 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Quoting: DJSums17
All the reasons you said for him to leave is why he’ll stay. Leafs have the cap space next year to sign Matthews and Nylander to whatever they want. If they weren’t going to they would’ve traded one of the core at the draft like everyone expected. I don’t see Shanny letting Nylander stay past the deadline if he has no intention of resigning him. Yes Shanny cause he’s the real GM not Brad.

.. that last sentence.. You lost all credibility... While Shanahan does have his word to say, if you think Treliving singed to Toronto to not have the actual say in what goes on the ice, you need to stop commenting on hockey post in general. Treliving has the years behind him to let "Shanny", as you call him as if you knew and where friends with him which is funny, he has the years to have that pull and be the one making decisions on trades. As any other organization, not only the Leafs, there are consultation with all the higher brass when big trades are made, and yes that would involve the President of operations, Assistant GM, Player Personel Management people, and oh, get this even the Head scout gets to have a word in... But in the end, Treliving will have the pull to say who stays who goes and he knows that if it doesn't work out Shanahan can still let him go..

And I actually have a friend who grew up 6 houses from mine and has a very prestigious position with another team in the NHL who always gives us info on how teams actually work, no insider scoops, or names tossing when it comes to moves since he knows he could lose his job if info came out that could be tied to him, but as far as inner workings, he gives us tidbits on who is very respected across the league, who's harder to work with for trades etc, and Treliving is one of those with both qualities, respected but hard to negociate with. So he didn't sign in Toronto to let SHanahan tell him what to do, he actually had two other offers on the table and chose TO... No clue who those two other teams are, nor why he chose TO, but he sure as hell didn't go there to be bossed around after the Calgary crap he went through.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll