SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2023 2024 Offseason Discussion - Draft Day And Free Agency

Aug. 28, 2023 at 3:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Trickster
Oh he's injured??

Yes he had surgery or something which is why Van didnt qualify him (still think its dumb they didnt would be a sick Dcore lul)

Believe it was at IIHF Tournament
Aug. 28, 2023 at 3:38 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: aadoyle
Yes he had surgery or something which is why Van didnt qualify him (still think its dumb they didnt would be a sick Dcore lul)

Believe it was at IIHF Tournament

If by Vancouver and a sick D core you mean violently expelling at both ends, then yes I agree
Aug. 28, 2023 at 5:01 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Aug. 28, 2023 at 5:11 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
If by Vancouver and a sick D core you mean violently expelling at both ends, then yes I agree

Idk (if he was extended)

Hughes-Bear
Soucy-Hronek
Cole-Myers

Way better than what we saw last year. Now other factors will need to happen to (staying healthy and Hronek continuing his strong numbers) but yea its not bad

Not as good as ours (especially if we add Bear) but not bad
Aug. 28, 2023 at 7:11 p.m.
Amirov Forever
I actually quite like the Benoit signing. Now give me Noah Gregor
Aug. 29, 2023 at 9:30 p.m.
Really hope if the Leafs move Jarnkrok for cap we bring in Puljujarvi on a cheap deal as a replacement. Just seems like a no downside move that could pay off in a big way if we're lucky.
Aug. 30, 2023 at 12:01 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Really hope if the Leafs move Jarnkrok for cap we bring in Puljujarvi on a cheap deal as a replacement. Just seems like a no downside move that could pay off in a big way if we're lucky.

I kind of want them to move Jarnkrok to make room for Bear

And then if u really want someone just bring in Bailey on a league min deal.

As he has a history with JT and he should come cheaper add to the fact it allows us to add Bear to play with Rielly that could be perfect.

I feel whats best for JP is to go to Europe as man the kid had potential just never came to be
oneX liked this.
Aug. 30, 2023 at 1:46 a.m.

As he has a history with JT and he should come cheaper add to the fact it allows us to add Bear to play with Rielly that could be perfect.

I feel whats best for JP is to go to Europe as man the kid had potential just never came to be

I don't know about moving Jarnkrok but Bailey doesn't have speed and I feel this team has gotten much slower the past few years.

Also Bear is sort of undersized. I want someone with size, who can be physical, not necessarily fight but hold his ground and be able to lean on opposing forwards especially in playoffs situations because I believe in the idea of wearing down players over the course of a series.
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 30, 2023 at 12:11 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason

Move Jarnkrok?
Seriously?

Dude played effectively, we got thinner and you want move him???

Move Lafferty and Timmins first, easy decision for me.

Puljujarvi to me I think is not NHLER anymore, he was in Carolina... should have been able to bounce back there above all else but he didn't.

I can get behind adding Bear, I don't know how realistic it is though.

Bailey can't keep anymore, low cost add... sure why not. May even clear waivers.
oneX liked this.
Aug. 30, 2023 at 12:27 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Keefe extended 2 years....damn
Really wanted a new coach for the coming season
oneX and MatthewsFan liked this.
Aug. 30, 2023 at 1:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Aug. 30, 2023 at 1:14 p.m.
Quoting: oneX
I don't know about moving Jarnkrok but Bailey doesn't have speed and I feel this team has gotten much slower the past few years.

Also Bear is sort of undersized. I want someone with size, who can be physical, not necessarily fight but hold his ground and be able to lean on opposing forwards especially in playoffs situations because I believe in the idea of wearing down players over the course of a series.

This whole size thing is silly. Some really good Dman are small

Quinn Hughes 5'10
Adam Fox 5'11
Cale Makar 5'11
Matt Grzelcyk 5'10
Jared Spurgeon 5'9

Bear is the same size as Makar lul

5'11 197 pounds aint bad for a Dman. As in the end most big Dman struggle or arent good just ask Justin Holl and Jani Hakanpää
oneX, CameronSquires and Trickster liked this.
Aug. 30, 2023 at 1:09 p.m.
Edited Aug. 30, 2023 at 1:17 p.m.

New coach you say...something that should have happened after last year's off season.

I'm not one that cheers for this team to fail but damn it wouldn't surprise me under this coach it happens.
Trickster and MatthewsFan liked this.
Aug. 30, 2023 at 1:16 p.m.
This whole size thing is silly. Some really good Dman are small

Quinn Hughes 5'10
Adam Fox 5'11
Cale Makar 5'11

It's not silly when I'm watching games and see how our forwards get abused regularly, especially in the playoffs and in the other end we don't have any similar responses.

I hated seeing undersized Sandin having to be that physical guy, sure he did it, not sure how effective it was given his size.

Besides, for those who love undersized D, we got some already, just change it up and add a big body, it's not the end of the world.
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 30, 2023 at 1:17 p.m.
Cowan Season

I’m fine with it. There wasn’t anyone better really available and keefe is a good coach. Plus, they can fire him if need be anyways.
Juice liked this.
Aug. 30, 2023 at 1:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

I personally do not mind as lets see how he does now that Dubas is gone.

As I want to see if we see more criticism this time if big 4 dont step it up like he did last year but had to take it back probs due to Dubas

Also it had to be done you cant go into that lockerroom with a coach not signed to a contract beyone this year players would go why should I listen to you, you dont got a contract next year and then chaos. There also needs to be someone better out there but rn there is nobody except for one but he aint gonna be an NHL coach again.
Aug. 30, 2023 at 1:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Aug. 30, 2023 at 1:33 p.m.
Quoting: oneX
It's not silly when I'm watching games and see how our forwards get abused regularly, especially in the playoffs and in the other end we don't have any similar responses.

I hated seeing undersized Sandin having to be that physical guy, sure he did it, not sure how effective it was given his size.

Besides, for those who love undersized D, we got some already, just change it up and add a big body, it's not the end of the world.

Here's the thing size does not mean anything when it comes to that. Its attitude and playing to your strengths

A big Dman wont change a thing he needs to have the attitude to step in

Sandin chose to be physical to make up for his smaller size. Did a good job of it

But in the end size means nothing. Its how you play

Many big Dman in the NHL are bad they provide nothing to there teams Holl, Hakinpaa, etc. All just used for their size but do nothing else. Would rather have a smaller better Dman than those two.

Also if we look at our Dcore

Brodie 6'2
Liligren 6'1
Giordano 6'0
Rielly 6'1
Timmins 6'2
McCabe 6'1
Klingberg 6'3

Whose undersized? Nobody is under 6'0 here

In the end after some of the additions Tree made I think teams will be wary of touching our players lul as you got Domi and Bertuzzi who are pests and if they tick you off they dont got to fight you Reaves can handle that.
Trickster and oneX liked this.
Aug. 30, 2023 at 1:40 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Here's the thing size does not mean anything when it comes to that. Its attitude and playing to your strengths

Sandin chose to be physical to make up for his smaller size. Did a good job of it

Many big Dman in the NHL are bad they provide nothing to there teams Holl, Hakinpaa, etc. All just used for their size but do nothing else. Would rather have a smaller better Dman than those two.

Brodie 6'2
Liligren 6'1
Giordano 6'0
Rielly 6'1
Timmins 6'2
McCabe 6'1
Klingberg 6'3

In the end after some of the additions Tree made I think teams will be wary of touching our players lul as you got Domi and Bertuzzi who are pests and if they tick you off they dont got to fight you Reaves can handle that.

Not saying your wrong but I think @onex has point.

Look at size of the D players on Vegas?
Or how about Tampa even? AVs players are comparable but could they be the exception?
Aug. 30, 2023 at 1:50 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Aug. 30, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.
Not saying your wrong but I think onex has point.

Look at size of the D players on Vegas?
Or how about Tampa even? AVs players are comparable but could they be the exception?

Size of a Dcore is an outlier. VGK did it sure but in the past there have been exceptions. Now if VGK wins 2 more cups than its a valid argument

Look at Avs Dcore

Makar 5'11
Girard 5'10
Manson 6'3
Toews 6'1
Johnsson 6'3
Jack Johnson 6'1
Byram 6'1

Jack Johnsson only gets in through Girard breaks sternum

That Dcore beat TBL's with supposed 2 undersized Dman. And Avs could come back and win again.

And there have been others in the past (Boston 2011, Anaheim 2007, etc). So in the end having 1 small Dman really is nothing lul.
Aug. 30, 2023 at 1:56 p.m.

Brodie 6'2
Liligren 6'1
Giordano 6'0
Rielly 6'1
Timmins 6'2
McCabe 6'1
Klingberg 6'3

6'0 is the bare minimum but hey you brought up an excellent point about attitude. Big guys with attitude, gimme some of that!
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 30, 2023 at 3:04 p.m.
I'm not going to read too much into the Keefe re-upping.

2yrs basically prevents him from being dead-man walking. Takes away a built-in excuse for the players if it's a slow start.

But 2yrs isn't a huge vote of confidence and can't imagine MLSE would hesitate to fire him if a better candidate (ahem, Quenville) suddenly becomes available and the record isn't where they want it.

On coach Q...I also doubt the league would green-light his return unless it's to a smaller market, maybe.
Aug. 30, 2023 at 4:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Juice

2yrs basically prevents him from being dead-man walking. Takes away a built-in excuse for the players if it's a slow start.

But 2yrs isn't a huge vote of confidence and can't imagine MLSE would hesitate to fire him if a better candidate (ahem, Quenville) suddenly becomes available and the record isn't where they want it.

On coach Q...I also doubt the league would green-light his return unless it's to a smaller market, maybe.

Always ponder what would happen if Q was allowed to come back and was available. And sure people would go Leafs wouldnt hire him he did ABC. Are we sure, MLSE might go **** it we want a cup we got a short window to win go get him. As honestly to me window might be 2 years for this team as yes Matthews is on 4 years but Buffalo, Detroit, and Ottawa are rising and while Boston is gonna fall FLA and TBL still knocking.

Last year they missed the opportunity to fire Keefe when better guys were available (Trotz, Cassidy, and to some extend Doboer)

Now options are either not needle movers or not great. MLSE aint gonna gamble on another 0 NHL experienced coach so get that out of the way. Q is basically the best guy which shows how bad the market is rn lul

Funny thing is wont be till 2026 when we see a lot of good coaches deals come up. If they struggle or no good results come things will be very interesting
Aug. 30, 2023 at 5:26 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Size of a Dcore is an outlier. VGK did it sure but in the past there have been exceptions. Now if VGK wins 2 more cups than its a valid argument

Look at Avs Dcore

Makar 5'11
Girard 5'10
Manson 6'3
Toews 6'1
Johnsson 6'3
Jack Johnson 6'1
Byram 6'1

Jack Johnsson only gets in through Girard breaks sternum

That Dcore beat TBL's with supposed 2 undersized Dman. And Avs could come back and win again.

And there have been others in the past (Boston 2011, Anaheim 2007, etc). So in the end having 1 small Dman really is nothing lul.

Already said I think AVs are the exception but okay sure.
leafs101 liked this.
Aug. 30, 2023 at 6:03 p.m.
Already said I think AVs are the exception but okay sure.

yea we dont exactly have a Toews and Makar
Aug. 30, 2023 at 6:05 p.m.

Also it had to be done you cant go into that lockerroom with a coach not signed to a contract beyone this year players would go why should I listen to you, you dont got a contract next year and then chaos. There also needs to be someone better out there but rn there is nobody except for one but he aint gonna be an NHL coach again.

Quoting: Juice

Honestly, Keefe getting an extension really doesn't matter because...well let's go through the mental exercise here...what if this team fails in the playoffs again? Maybe certain coaching decisions are called into question, or perhaps it's just flat out not good enough.

You could say that maybe bigger questions will need to be pondered and Keefe being the coach or not won't matter.
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 30, 2023 at 6:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: leafs101
yea we dont exactly have a Toews and Makar

No but playoff Rielly has been scary these past 2 seasons

Especially last playoffs should have had 5 goals and 8 assists in 11 games but NHL to lazy to implement radar pucks
Aug. 30, 2023 at 6:21 p.m.
No but playoff Rielly has been scary these past 2 seasons

he's been great, but still - not Makar. And we have no Toews.
Trickster liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll