SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

If MTL offered a similar package than LA for Dubois

Would you have traded for Dubois (8x8.5m) if MTL offered Dach Dvorak Ylonen 2nd round pick
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 27, 2023 at 5:57 p.m.
Edited Jun. 27, 2023 at 6:54 p.m.
Would you have traded for Dubois signed 8x8.5m if MTL offered :

Dach (=Vilardi)
Dvorak (=Iaffalo)
Ylonen (=Kupari)
2nd pick (=2nd pick)
Jun. 27, 2023 at 6:35 p.m.
See, the thing is I don’t think Dach and Vilardi are equal, Vilardi doesn’t really have a comparable amongst the Habs
Jun. 27, 2023 at 6:58 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
See, the thing is I don’t think Dach and Vilardi are equal, Vilardi doesn’t really have a comparable amongst the Habs

I tend to agree, but one could argue
Iafallo ­­­­is better than Dvorak
Kupari is better than Ylonen
Jul. 18, 2023 at 10:04 a.m.
Evans truther
Different windows, different value. Kings are looking to win right now while both Kopitar and Doughty are still playing at their current levels, if Montreal was in a similar position with an healthy Price and Weber for a few more years I'd do the deal right away.In a rebuild it makes no sense.
Jul. 19, 2023 at 7:41 p.m.
Habs4Ever
Quoting: pinslack
I tend to agree, but one could argue
Iafallo ­­­­is better than Dvorak
Kupari is better than Ylonen

Ylönen : 21 points in 52 NHL games
Kupari : 29 points in 130 NHL games

Kupari isn’t better than Ylönen …
Jul. 22, 2023 at 11:06 a.m.
I tend to disagree
Yes you need to build a team for the long run with the draft, but when players like Dubois become available, you don't miss your chance of getting them especially if you are part of where the players want to play. There are not tons of NHL players that want to come and play in Montreal due to pressure from media and fans.
Talk about it to Martin St-Louis and Vincent Lecavalier, if they would've came in their prime years to Montreal.
Now if we look at your poll.
The habs gave a 1st and 2nd round for Newhook, that does not come close to Dubois and that also does not help the team with their goal of getting bigger and stronger.
The only player in your poll that will bring a debate is Dach.
Lets see what Dach did in his career on a Team loaded with talent
in 2019-2020: In Chicago 23pts in 64games = 0.36ppg and they had Kane, Toews, DeBrincat, Strome, Saad...
2020-2021: Only played 18games but managed 10pts, which is decent but again well surrounded
2021-2022: he had 26pts in 70games = 0.37ppg with Kane 92pts, Debrincat 78pts, Jones 51pts, Strome 48pts....
In 3 seasons in Chicago: he had 59pts in 152games = 0.39ppg and -22
2022-2023: in MTL he had a good season but got injured 38pts in 58games = .66ppg and -2
in his NHL career he has 97pts in 210 games = .47 and -24

Without going in too much details for Newhook
66pts in 159 games = .41ppg and only 4 points in 12 playoff games the year Colorado won the Cup.

So for Dach and Newhook, the habs gave 2 first round pics, a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick

But weren't willing to give something slightly less to get Dubois 6'3'' 218lbs, key player with Columbus and the Jets with 302pts in 434 games = 0.7ppg and +13 and producing 26points in 38 playoff games

Its ridiculous to say that he wouldn't be a good addition.

The guy brings size, strength, production as a real top 6 center. You get a great pair in Suzuki and Dubois for years to come.

Hughes missed a big time opportunity here.

He tries to hit home runs on every single trade but who cares, as long as you have a plan and you are building a team based on that plan, some players will cost you.
Look at Vegas, they gave us Tatar and Suzuki for Pacioretty but then gave him away. Then payed again for Stone and Eichel. Result, they lost on almost every trade they made, but they are Stanley Cup Champions.

We have a dynasty that hasn't won in over 30 years and we have one of the best pool of prospects but no super star in the horizon
Too many similar players that you can't all sign and we will wait until they lose value to trade them.

We need to get bigger and fast
more than half of your top 9 are below 5'10'' and these are not old or on the verge of retirement
Colefield: 5'7''
Gallagher: 5'9''
Newhook: 5'10''
Farrell: 5'9''
Pinard' 5'9''

You can't win with too many small players. One or two max.

Look at my other post and you will see how the teams that won the cup in the last years how they are built.

I understand the Habs won't win in the next 3 to 4 years, but where are the pieces to be ready in 5 while Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Matheson, Barron are still in their prime

The only top 6 palyers coming are Mesar and Kidney, the rest are good for bottom 6 in Bech, Roy, Mysak, Kapanen, Davidson

Too late now for Dubois but hopefully the next player of that caliber that becomes available, we don't stay greedy
pinslack and palhal liked this.
Jul. 22, 2023 at 2:59 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Maroons1972
I tend to disagree
Yes you need to build a team for the long run with the draft, but when players like Dubois become available, you don't miss your chance of getting them especially if you are part of where the players

Just to add to you comment above. Like your analsysis. BUT: Was Dubois really that willing to sign long term with the Habs? We will never know as you took the LA Kings option.
Oct. 16, 2023 at 4:14 p.m.
No official news on Dach, but it does look good at all. I know it is easy to say ''We told you so'''
It's too late to get Dubois but with Dach injury prone, the good decision was to trade Him and a first Pick
We will never know if Dubois really wanted to come to MTL or he was only raising the stakes. But for sure he would've been a great addition

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit