SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Montreal Canadiens

Habs Roster Analysis

Jun. 16, 2023 at 5:27 p.m.
Edited Jun. 16, 2023 at 7:13 p.m.
Hi Everyone,
This might be long, but it's my first post and would like to know what you guys think of the following.
Many fans play the GM role and think they would do better than their favorite team management but in reality we all know the job isn't simple even if sometimes some decisions make us go crazy.
That being said, with the draft knocking at the door, many trade rumors go around and the one that makes me wonder is the one that says the habs should trade up to go get Fantilli. Lets look at the habs roster but only the ones worth talking about (no Hoffman, Drouin, Gally...)

Suzuki, C, 5'11'', 23, Good 1st line
Caufield, LW, 5'7'',22, Good 1st line
Dach, C/RW, 6'4'', 22, Good 2nd line
Anderson, RW, 6'3'', 29, Average 2nd line
Slafkovsky, LW, 6'3'', 19, High Potential but for now good 3rd line
Dvorak, C, 6'1'', 27, Could do better but for now average 3rd line
Farrell, LW, 5'9'', 21, Some potential but good 3rd line
Harvey-Pinard, LW, 5'9'', 24, some potential but average 3rd line

4 out of the top 8 are too small. I know, I know, not all small players are bad (Marchessault, St-Louis, DeBrincat,...) but when you have 4 on your Team it's not great either.

Then there's the young prospects that will be knocking at the door
Beck, C, 6'0'', 19, Average Potential 3rd Line
Roy, RW, 6'0'', 19, Potential 2nd line but great 3rd line
Kidney, C, 6'0'', 20, 3rd to 4th line
Mesar, RW, 5'10'', 19, potential 2nd line but great 3rd line
Kapanen, C, 6'1'', 19, 4th line

Looking at this roster we see a good first pair with Suzuki and Caufiled and tons on players that can play key roles on 2nd line but are better suited for 3rd and 4th line.
Between Suzuki, Dach, Dvorak, Beck, Kapanen and with the probable acquisition of Dubois (who will cost less than Fantilli) we have a good group of centers
But if we look at LW: Caufield, Slaf, Farrell and Harvey-Pinard
If we are to sacrifice the 5th overall pick, i would do it to accelerate the rebuild and acquire an established LW (Nylander, Keller, Connor,...) I know its easier said than done but when you have 2 first round picks and a good pool of prospects, i am sure we can find a Deal
Then at RW: Dach, Anderson, Armia, Pitlick, Not the best either but we can pick up a player on UFA list: Bunting, Compher, Bertuzzi, Barbashev...

Lines would be
Caufield, Suzuki, DAch
Nylander, Dubois, Anderson
Slaf, Dvorak, Bunting
Farrell, Evans, Armia

In the Future, Roy can replace Anderson, Beck to replace Dvorak and hopefully Mesar turn out to be good and we can be dangerous in 3-4 years.

So no Fantilli, but we are 3 or 4 additions (Dubois, Nylander, Bunting,...)

On the defense we are good with Guhle, Barron, Matheson, Savard, Xhekaj, Kovacevic, Hutson, Harris...

We might need a good goaltender but with great offense and defense, you can get the cup as well, look at Vegas, who expected that from Hill.

What do you guys think

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll