SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Vancouver Canucks

what does a Miller trade look like Who and What

Feb. 20, 2023 at 1:36 p.m.
According to Friedman the Canucks are receiving calls on JT Miller (take that as you may). Assuming that is true, what is his value still be at and who would want him and what would they give up?
Feb. 20, 2023 at 1:40 p.m.
If it's Philly, they probably offer a healthy sum of futures + Ristolainen (or some roster player that is paid too much, maybe Provorov). Maybe Hayes lol.
As dumb as it may say I think Pens would be a fit with Miller money retained. We need a puck carrying guy that can win faceoffs and Miller has always fit that mold. If Pittsburgh is desperate enough I think it absolutely can happen. Not to mention we’ll also actually have the cap space to not only take on JT but also still re-sign Jarry.
Warpbox liked this.
I mean a full no move till 2030 for a guy whos going to be 30 soon at 8 mil aav. Ooooof wouldn't know where to begin.
Feb. 20, 2023 at 1:41 p.m.
In any Miller trade the biggest question is how much of his cap hit are the Canucks willing to eat for 7 years? At $8m x 7 years there will be no takers.
Feb. 20, 2023 at 1:44 p.m.
Quoting: Onlyfairtrades1
In any Miller trade the biggest question is how much of his cap hit are the Canucks willing to eat for 7 years? At $8m x 7 years there will be no takers.

Can they even retain on an extension? It's probably teams who are fine with eating that cap hit, they will just be sending a big cap hit back, but probably someone with less term.
Feb. 20, 2023 at 1:56 p.m.
Here's the rub on JT. You need to find a team that is in a 'win now', or 'win soon' situation and has projected cap space. That team will need to have a shorter length bad contract for the Canucks to take instead of retention. It will also need to have some future assets to move. Short list includes:

Winnipeg - Lots of cap space, and is close to winning right now. They could flip out the RFA rights to Pierre Luc-Dubois in the offseason and JT would fill that spot. Blake Wheeler will retire after next season, freeing up an additional $8.25M. They have a stocked cupboard of young players, plenty of draft picks. The only thing they don't have is bad contracts. Neal Pionk might be the most overpaid guy there, and he's still pretty good.

Detroit - I just don't see Yzerman wanting JT. He doesn't fit the mold.

Buffalo - JT would be an interesting addition, however they're going to desperately need cap space in 1 1/2 years when Dahlin and Power are going to get PAID!!! Buffalo will no doubt try to pawn off Jeff Skinner in the exchange, however he has a full NMC.
Feb. 20, 2023 at 1:57 p.m.
Quoting: BestGMBenning
As dumb as it may say I think Pens would be a fit with Miller money retained. We need a puck carrying guy that can win faceoffs and Miller has always fit that mold. If Pittsburgh is desperate enough I think it absolutely can happen. Not to mention we’ll also actually have the cap space to not only take on JT but also still re-sign Jarry.

How much would Van need to retain and what could they hypothetically offer?
Feb. 20, 2023 at 2:02 p.m.
Quoting: Warpbox

Quoting: GMBL
Can they even retain on an extension? It's probably teams who are fine with eating that cap hit, they will just be sending a big cap hit back, but probably someone with less term.

The retention would be on JT’s expiring deal. I don’t think they can retain on an extended contract. Which is why I explained Pittsburgh has the cap space next season to not only take on JT’s contract but also re-sign Jarry. But maybe I should explained it a bit more
GMBL and Warpbox liked this.
Feb. 20, 2023 at 2:09 p.m.
The retention would be on JT’s expiring deal. I don’t think they can retain on an extended contract. Which is why I explained Pittsburgh has the cap space next season to not only take on JT’s contract but also re-sign Jarry. But maybe I should explained it a bit more

That's how I know it to be as well. I think Philadelphia is more likely than Pittsburgh unless they are moving one of their older guys for Miller.
BestGMBenning liked this.
Feb. 28, 2023 at 12:48 a.m.
According to Friedman the Canucks are receiving calls on JT Miller (take that as you may). Assuming that is true, what is his value still be at and who would want him and what would they give up?

the canes and avs both need a 2nd line center.a 1st pick is what it would take to get jt.but if anyone thinks franky is going to pay jt to play for someone else,there dreaming.
May 19, 2023 at 11:28 p.m.
Banned

There will be no salary retention in a Miller trade
May 19, 2023 at 11:29 p.m.
Banned

Why would the Penguins re-sign Jarry? He really seems to have fallen out of favor with them
May 20, 2023 at 7:29 p.m.
Quoting: Knuckl3s
Why would the Penguins re-sign Jarry? He really seems to have fallen out of favor with them

Don’t see why he’d fall out of favour at all. He was by far not a problem. He was one of the last problems if anything. The team just overall lost its touch and its defence. Goalies were always left out to rot.
Aug. 12, 2023 at 3:42 a.m.
Banned
Don’t see why he’d fall out of favour at all. He was by far not a problem. He was one of the last problems if anything. The team just overall lost its touch and its defence. Goalies were always left out to rot.

We'll never know I guess, since it was the new sheriff in town that re-signed him, to a contract that I'm not really sure makes sense. Some point to that signing as being further evidence to suggest Dubas would not have made the same amount of change to the roster that Treliving is currently going about doing
Aug. 12, 2023 at 1:15 p.m.
We'll never know I guess, since it was the new sheriff in town that re-signed him, to a contract that I'm not really sure makes sense. Some point to that signing as being further evidence to suggest Dubas would not have made the same amount of change to the roster that Treliving is currently going about doing

Jarry just two seasons ago played 50+ games and had a top 5 save percentage and close to a top 5 GAA. His injuries this last season sucked but other than that he’s still a reliable goalie
Aug. 14, 2023 at 3:17 p.m.
Banned
Jarry just two seasons ago played 50+ games and had a top 5 save percentage and close to a top 5 GAA. His injuries this last season sucked but other than that he’s still a reliable goalie

Reliable, but I understand people's concerns when it comes to his consistency
Aug. 15, 2023 at 5:53 p.m.
Reliable, but I understand people's concerns when it comes to his consistency

He was only considered poor this past season due to poor team play. Even injured he was more so one of our best guys on ice. He’s only really faced injuries this season. Last season I think he got injured due to Sully playing him every so often. He should be good now as he’s had more time to really recover from this season and we have another goalie that can help take some weight off Jarry’s shoulders.
Warpbox liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll