Forums/Armchair-GM

Based on other ideas I liked from other armchair GMs

Created by: CaptainTavares
Team: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 8, 2017
Published: May 21, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Big summer coming up for the leafs! Seen some of these ideas floating around armchair gm, decided to put my own spin on them.

Babs and Lou were scouting the ducks game, had to think they were looking at the ducks d corp. Im not a huge Manson fan, but he's a RHD which fills a need, and I think they can get for JVR in a trade, especially considering the ducks expansion situation. I would rather they get Theodore or especially Montour, but I don't see that happening.

As for the Drouin blockbuster, this happens after the expansion draft. The leafs need a top 6 LW after trading JVR, and a LW for Matthews long term. Tampa needs a legit top 4 D and some cap space for all their RFAs. The leafs grab Drouin as Matthews running mate and take garrison to relieve some cap space for the Bolts, and he can be a 1 year replacement for Gardiner anyway. The addition of brown will give tampa a young winger to replace Drouin and the pick can easily be the 17th pick this year, I would do that for a talent like Drouin.

As for the remaining roster, Kapanen moves into a top 6 role to see if he can be a scorer, and Hyman slots into his future third line role. Bozak will be replaced by Nylander as the 2C after next season and Uncle Leo replaced by Leipsec/Rychel/Grundstrom. Boyle is signed for C depth, and the fourth line with Martin and Fehr has serious potential in my opinion. I did not know what to do with Soshnikov, so that trade was just a suggestion.

On D, Manson plays with Reilly and Garrison slots with Zaitsev, and I'm projecting Rosen to make the team and play on the third pairing, with Potential to move up past Garrison. D would probably be on the trade deadline wish list. After next season expect for Dermott/Borgman to challenge for spots along with a potential UFA addition on D next summer.

Just my thoughts on a couple new ideas, the Drouin trade is quite unlikely with a division rival, but nice to think about. Welcome all constructive comments, after all we are not getting paid for this, just for love of the buds! Go leafs go!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$5,500,000
3$1,500,000
2$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
1$1,000,000
Rosen, Calle
2$925,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Garrison, Jason
Additional Details:
Rights to Drouin
TBL
  1. Gardiner, Jake
  2. 2018 2nd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Rights to Connor Brown
TOR
  1. 2018 7th round pick (ARI)
Additional Details:
To anyone who will take him
TOR
  1. 2018 2nd round pick (CAR)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$76,000,000$64,955,000$5,370,000$4,550,000$11,045,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 2
$4,200,000$4,200,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,950,000$2,950,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$800,000$800,000
LW
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 5
$825,000$825,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 2
Rosen, Calle
$925,000$925,000
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 21, 2017 at 1:01 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
The Tampa Bay trade seems fair to me.
May 21, 2017 at 9:00 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
That offer doesn't get Manson. Carolina can do better than Soshnikov. Garrison and Rosen as two of the top six.....weak.
May 21, 2017 at 11:22 a.m.
Palhal, I see your comments everywhere and respect your opinions, but I think you are off when evaluating trades for the ducks D. You seem to think JVR has little value because of impending FA, but you have to consider the Ducks expansion situation. They will lose either Manson, Vatanen, Silfverberg, etc. in the expansion draft without making a deal, for nothing . They need scoring on the wing, and are known to have high interest in JVR. Getting him instead of losing a good player for nothing is certainly better than what they are facing. They will not get a much better deal than JVR as a scoring winger than losing a player for nothing.

Carolina needs forwards, I can't see why they wouldn't have some interest in Soshnikov.

As for the D comment, Garrison is clearly a one year stop gap, and I am not sure what you expect them to do for the defence in one year. This is a lot better than trotting out Marincin, Hunwick, Polak like we did this past season, so that is an improvement in itself. Gardiner had a good year, but lets be honest he has to make you nervous most times he touches the puck. You can't do everything in one offseason.

Suggest some alternatives in your comments instead of making statements like you know everything. Go Leafs go!
nobody liked this.
May 21, 2017 at 11:24 a.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
The Tampa Bay trade seems fair to me.

I think so too, although it is highly unlikely they trade Drouin to a division rival. He would look good on Matthews wing though!
May 21, 2017 at 2:17 p.m.
Muraca17
Quoting: aelliott10
Palhal, I see your comments everywhere and respect your opinions, but I think you are off when evaluating trades for the ducks D. You seem to think JVR has little value because of impending FA, but you have to consider the Ducks expansion situation. They will lose either Manson, Vatanen, Silfverberg, etc. in the expansion draft without making a deal, for nothing . They need scoring on the wing, and are known to have high interest in JVR. Getting him instead of losing a good player for nothing is certainly better than what they are facing. They will not get a much better deal than JVR as a scoring winger than losing a player for nothing.

Carolina needs forwards, I can't see why they wouldn't have some interest in Soshnikov.

As for the D comment, Garrison is clearly a one year stop gap, and I am not sure what you expect them to do for the defence in one year. This is a lot better than trotting out Marincin, Hunwick, Polak like we did this past season, so that is an improvement in itself. Gardiner had a good year, but lets be honest he has to make you nervous most times he touches the puck. You can't do everything in one offseason.

Suggest some alternatives in your comments instead of making statements like you know everything. Go Leafs go!

finally someone puts PADHAL in his place , at least im not the only person who agrees the guy thinks hes the GM of the universe and knows everything... Well said
nobody liked this.
May 21, 2017 at 3:45 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Edited May 21, 2017 at 7:27 p.m.

How's this alternative. If the Ducks trade for JVR which you so wisely suggest, then they will protect him. Gee, then they lose Silverberg as you suggest. Agreed that the Ducks are probably going to lose an significant player either way. So the logical Ducks move might be is trade for players that are draft exempt. And teams don't "lose a player for nothing". They still are going to lose a player.
So with the trade you suggest: Ducks lose Manson and Silverberg (draft) and cap dump Stoner and gain one year JVR. If they don't deal they lose one of Manson If Manson was traded, with his contract and "controlabilty" I think the Ducks could do better. To me the budget conscious Ducks will protect Manson for sure and try to deal Vatanen.
IMarincin with the Leafs....well at least you know what you're getting and Rosen, no proof that he is NHLer.
I know the Leaf were in a playoff race since January. But is seemed rather "destructive" that Marincin just sat in press box for 32 straight games and then expect to perform satisfactory in the playoffs. Not picking on Babcock or other coaches but you think their got be a rotation of the bottom 3 Dmen so all could be some what ready in case of injury.

Muraca17. Can't you make a roster or post, or are still reading your AHL stat book.
clark liked this.
May 21, 2017 at 11:35 p.m.
Quoting: palhal

How's this alternative. If the Ducks trade for JVR which you so wisely suggest, then they will protect him. Gee, then they lose Silverberg as you suggest. Agreed that the Ducks are probably going to lose an significant player either way. So the logical Ducks move might be is trade for players that are draft exempt. And teams don't "lose a player for nothing". They still are going to lose a player.
So with the trade you suggest: Ducks lose Manson and Silverberg (draft) and cap dump Stoner and gain one year JVR. If they don't deal they lose one of Manson If Manson was traded, with his contract and "controlabilty" I think the Ducks could do better. To me the budget conscious Ducks will protect Manson for sure and try to deal Vatanen.
IMarincin with the Leafs....well at least you know what you're getting and Rosen, no proof that he is NHLer.
I know the Leaf were in a playoff race since January. But is seemed rather "destructive" that Marincin just sat in press box for 32 straight games and then expect to perform satisfactory in the playoffs. Not picking on Babcock or other coaches but you think their got be a rotation of the bottom 3 Dmen so all could be some what ready in case of injury.

Muraca17. Can't you make a roster or post, or are still reading your AHL stat book.

I should have been more clear, my apologies. This trade is assuming Bieksa waives his NMC clause for the ducks to avoid protecting him, which is no guarantee but there are reports he is willing to do so, because lets be honest Vegas is not taking him anyway. The ducks are not really on a budget now, as they are capped out really.

This way they can protect 7-3-1, and can protect JVR and Silfverberg along with getzlaf, perry, kesler, rackell and Cogliano up front with lindholm, vatanen and fowler on D. They may very well try to deal Vatanen I agree, and JVR might be a target there too. They have been reported to covet JVR for quite some time now, and we know the history between the leafs and the ducks is there for trades.

The ducks may very well target expansion exempt players, but I am just stating an idea, most likely it won't happen since I am not paid to make those decisions. Just for a bit of fun, finally the leafs are exciting to talk about.

That is just my opinion on marincin, I think he is horrible and anyone is an upgrade. Garrison would be a huge upgrade in my opinion, but obviously a downgrade from gards. Go leafs go!
May 22, 2017 at 12:15 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
aelliot: I agree that the should upgrade from Marincin and their bottom three in general. I was just giving some coaching advice when they throw a guy in a game, in Marincin's case, 32 games and expect him to perform well.
Gee, many of use can't perform so well at work after a long weekendsmile
Bieska, he's waiving his NMC. He's a California guy and Vegas won't selected him....better options. and Bieska wants his team, the Ducks, to be as strong as possible for his last NHL season.
I wonder if guys like Staal and Girardi, who 99% chance won't be selected would waive their NMC, so the Rangers could be stronger in their protections list too.
Watching the Ducks/Preds and how violent it is, I wonder if JVR is thinking, "Wow, that's way too tough for me. I'm staying a Leaf." smile. Ritchie sure has improved an seems to solidified a LW spot.
May 23, 2017 at 1:47 p.m.
palhal: True enough on Marincin. I agree on Bieksa, it makes too much sense for him to waive his NMC. It would make sense for someone like Girardi, Staal, etc. to waive theirs as well to give themselves the best chance at winning.

JVR doesn't seem to fit that rough and tumble style, but he could surprise us. Ritchie looks good, except for the dumb penalty last night! The leafs need a LW like him with a physical edge.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll