Forums/Armchair-GM

Fixing Colorado... is that a thing?

Created by: ding
Team: 2017-18 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 24, 2017
Published: Mar. 24, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Going to keep a lot of current roster but add thru UFA's mainly.
I think Varly will bounce back and having Johnson back for a full year will help them.

Signed some vets who can play a 200' game.
Kulikov needs a change of scenery and is still a good D man (injury bug got him this past year)
Oshie on Mackinnon's RW would be nice.

*flame suit on*
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$950,000
2$850,000
2$750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,750,000
2$4,750,000
2$1,750,000
1$4,000,000
1$4,000,000
1$2,500,000
Trades
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$75,000,000$67,923,929$0$1,550,000$7,076,071
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$5,571,429$5,571,429
LW, C
UFA - 4
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
UFA - 6
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW
UFA - 8
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, C
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, RW
UFA
$850,000$850,000
C, LW
UFA
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,000,000$1,000,000 (Performance Bonus$700,000$700K)
LD
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 6
$5,900,000$5,900,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 24, 2017 at 8:30 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Just opinions ...

I don't have a lot of knowledge of coach Bednar, so correct me if I'm wrong. He just may not be cut out as an NHL coach yet, and may need some more experience behind an NHL bench as part of a staff.
Colorado's roster is not so bad that they should be outplayed/outpossessed as much as they have, and he has done nothing to correct that. I feel there may be a flaw in the organizational philosophy, as they have been dismissive of some advanced statistics and have probably preached the same to the staff and players. Numbers may not be everything, but they do matter.
If it isn't the coach or the organization which is flawed, that means it is the roster. Sakic has made no significant changes and should be under pressure to do so if it is indeed the players to blame.
On to the roster itself ...

Oshie seems like a good acquisition, but is also one of the best available UFA forwards, next to Radulov. It's going to take more than a 2 year deal at a higher salary than proposed to get him to jump into a black hole. I don't feel like he's necessarily the player you want, but he should be able to fit nicely into any team.
Hudler is a bad idea. You don't want another possession sinkhole on this roster.

Sharp is a good fit and you might be able to sell him on becoming veteran guidance to young troops, but it would take a multi-year deal. He already has cup rings, so he isn't necessarily going to sign with a contender. It makes sense for him to go for the money. My opinion is that it would be a good signing for Colorado.

I do feel you should move at least 1 of Landeskog or Duchene as well. Something significant has to change in order to inspire the other players that the organization is actively pursuing success. A serious coaching change and some major trades/signings will tell them it's time to start winning and get them engaged.
Mar. 24, 2017 at 9:22 p.m.
Quoting: ricochetii
Just opinions ...

I don't have a lot of knowledge of coach Bednar, so correct me if I'm wrong. He just may not be cut out as an NHL coach yet, and may need some more experience behind an NHL bench as part of a staff.
Colorado's roster is not so bad that they should be outplayed/outpossessed as much as they have, and he has done nothing to correct that. I feel there may be a flaw in the organizational philosophy, as they have been dismissive of some advanced statistics and have probably preached the same to the staff and players. Numbers may not be everything, but they do matter.
If it isn't the coach or the organization which is flawed, that means it is the roster. Sakic has made no significant changes and should be under pressure to do so if it is indeed the players to blame.

Oshie seems like a good acquisition, but is also one of the best available UFA forwards, next to Radulov. It's going to take more than a 2 year deal at a higher salary than proposed to get him to jump into a black hole. I don't feel like he's necessarily the player you want, but he should be able to fit nicely into any team.
Hudler is a bad idea. You don't want another possession sinkhole on this roster.

Sharp is a good fit and you might be able to sell him on becoming veteran guidance to young troops, but it would take a multi-year deal. He already has cup rings, so he isn't necessarily going to sign with a contender. It makes sense for him to go for the money. My opinion is that it would be a good signing for Colorado.

I do feel you should move at least 1 of Landeskog or Duchene as well. Something significant has to change in order to inspire the other players that the organization is actively pursuing success. A serious coaching change and some major trades/signings will tell them it's time to start winning and get them engaged.

Bednar is a decent coach, what he wants to do is very similar to how Mike Sullivan coaches however he has a roster full of plug Patrick Roy hand picked chip and chase big bodies. Thats not what Bednar wants to deploy. He is about speed and mobility, especially when it comes from the D Core out. He doesnt have a roster and a coaching staff that he has had any say in. Thats one thing that is very over looked. From Video coach down to the bench, every coach that Bednar has is a carry over from Patrick Roy.

He gets a fresh crack next year with his own coach staff and a roster more tailored to what he is trying to do. He will be a short leash but hes not a bad coach..just one that was but in an impossible situation
Mar. 24, 2017 at 9:54 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: coga16
Just opinions ...

Bednar is a decent coach, what he wants to do is very similar to how Mike Sullivan coaches however he has a roster full of plug Patrick Roy hand picked chip and chase big bodies. Thats not what Bednar wants to deploy. He is about speed and mobility, especially when it comes from the D Core out. He doesnt have a roster and a coaching staff that he has had any say in. Thats one thing that is very over looked. From Video coach down to the bench, every coach that Bednar has is a carry over from Patrick Roy.

He gets a fresh crack next year with his own coach staff and a roster more tailored to what he is trying to do. He will be a short leash but hes not a bad coach..just one that was but in an impossible situation

That makes sense. Coaching staff purge will probably do wonders then. Sakic needs to be busy to get him the bodies to work with though. Then the new staff will have to start bringing the players around, because who knows what they've been told about how the staff wants them to play.
Mar. 24, 2017 at 11:53 p.m.
Quoting: coga16

That makes sense. Coaching staff purge will probably do wonders then. Sakic needs to be busy to get him the bodies to work with though. Then the new staff will have to start bringing the players around, because who knows what they've been told about how the staff wants them to play.

The conflict is out of the room in Roy. He had his positives but he and sakic had different visions on how the Avs should play and how it should be built. Ultimately Sakic has final say and is going to start to do things his way which from what the fan base can gander will be exactly what I said in Bednar. It wont happen over night but they will be have to build something in the next 2 years to fits that mold.

MacKinnon, Rantanan, Compher, Zadorov, Jost, This years pick....thats a lot of quality pieces under 22 years old. Thats the guys they will be building around going fwd, surrounding them with vets like Landeskog, Barrie, and Johnson. Bc of that thats why I think Duchene will be moved. He could be the odd man out and the best trade piece they have to help gain assets that fit in that 22 and under category
Mar. 25, 2017 at 6:02 a.m.
Thanks for the responses, I don't know the Avs that well....

I tired to make piece meal from what was out there...

Tough to do when there aren't so many options. Given the Avs season it may be hard to find that VET guidance. I think Sharp for a year or two would be a good fit as well. Kulikov on the backend CAN get that puck up the ice.
As stated I can understand the coach wanting to deploy a certain 'way of playing' but tough to do when you don't have the personnel.

On another forum (Flyers) have talked about Duchene/Landy type deal. I'll play with that this morning as I"m home sick frown
Mar. 25, 2017 at 11:55 a.m.
Im curious what makes you think any of those free agents are worth those contracts (Good or bad in either salary or term).

I'm not clairvoyant nor a player agent but i can guarantee that Oshie will get way more then that. Think minimum 6M over 6 years. MINIMUM. Not only that, nearly every free agent you signed was signed for less term then they'll get. Maybe Hudler will get one year though but definitely not for 4M. He'll be lucky to get 2M.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll