SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Site Discussion

Suggestions Megathread

Oct. 1, 2023 at 7:08 p.m.
Adding player jersey numbers on ACGM player blocks -- either right next to the logo or on the opposite side. Would be cool if they were in the font/style of the teams home jersey
zk97 liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 12:31 p.m.
GO KNIGHTS GO
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Adding player jersey numbers on ACGM player blocks -- either right next to the logo or on the opposite side. Would be cool if they were in the font/style of the teams home jersey

I have a few questions about that idea.

1. What happens for trades? What font would they use — their original team’s, or the team to which they were traded? Also, what if two players have the same number in that scenario?

2. Free agents — what number would they get? Would they have the number that they had with their previous team — and again, what about if two players have the same number?

3. Some ACGMs use created players to simulate KHL signings (or the ACGM owner signing himself). What number would be chosen for that?

Overall, it’s not a bad idea, it just could use a couple tweaks.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 12:47 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: TheFastAndTheFleuryous
I have a few questions about that idea.

1. What happens for trades? What font would they use — their original team’s, or the team to which they were traded? Also, what if two players have the same number in that scenario?

2. Free agents — what number would they get? Would they have the number that they had with their previous team — and again, what about if two players have the same number?

3. Some ACGMs use created players to simulate KHL signings (or the ACGM owner signing himself). What number would be chosen for that?

Overall, it’s not a bad idea, it just could use a couple tweaks.

I really like the potential for this aesthetic but I think you're overthinking the issue:

1. Team logos don't change for a player acquired via trade, why should the jersey number? The contrast in logos should easily rectify the issue with same numbers.

2. Free agents aren't assigned a team logo when signed to the club, if the jersey number is tied to the team logo, they wouldn't get one anyways. Even traded-for-and-signed RFA's are left with the logoless namebar.

3. Created players are likewise unassigned a team logo when brought onto an AGM. This presents the same non-issue as the free agent case.

The only real challenge I could see is having to generate 900 some-odd individual image icons for every player active in the NHL this upcoming season. Not sure how simple layering two png's on an interactable web feature is (and keeping them there while a user clicks and drags).
phillyjabroni, NorthernLeafsFan05, NoVaSpartan and 2 others liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 12:55 p.m.
Quoting: TheFastAndTheFleuryous

Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I really like the potential for this aesthetic but I think you're overthinking the issue:

1. Team logos don't change for a player acquired via trade, why should the jersey number? The contrast in logos should easily rectify the issue with same numbers.

2. Free agents aren't assigned a team logo when signed to the club, if the jersey number is tied to the team logo, they wouldn't get one anyways. Even traded-for-and-signed RFA's are left with the logoless namebar.

3. Created players are likewise unassigned a team logo when brought onto an AGM. This presents the same non-issue as the free agent case.

The only real challenge I could see is having to generate 900 some-odd individual image icons for every player active in the NHL this upcoming season. Not sure how simple layering two png's on an interactable web feature is (and keeping them there while a user clicks and drags).

I'm not sure how simple it would be, but the numbers of players are listed on their profile if you click on them from the team page. For trades, my first thought would be just to use the same number from their previous team. For FA and created players, the user can input whatever number they want (outside of team retired numbers / numbers on the roster). I just thought it would be a cool addition to the player tab.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 1:02 p.m.
Ban Price trades
I'm not sure how simple it would be, but the numbers of players are listed on their profile if you click on them from the team page. For trades, my first thought would be just to use the same number from their previous team. For FA and created players, the user can input whatever number they want (outside of team retired numbers / numbers on the roster). I just thought it would be a cool addition to the player tab.

The database is there yes, but that number is referenced in a text format. My assumption is if we're adding numbers to logos, it's in the same style as the actual jerseys. That image (or text, somehow?) has to then be overlaid atop the actual team icon, probably with a degree of transparency as to not completely blot out the team logo, all while staying locked in place while a user drags that playerbar all over the interactable face of AGM.

The easiest solution is to take that database of player numbers and generate the 900+ images that have what I've described above and use those with some sort of lookup function (ex. the string that generates Connor McDavid's playerbar also returns Oilers_97.png as the jersey number+team icon image on that playerbar) to present the final product. Easiest yes, but likely a ton of work for a small visual add.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 1:28 p.m.
The database is there yes, but that number is referenced in a text format. My assumption is if we're adding numbers to logos, it's in the same style as the actual jerseys. That image (or text, somehow?) has to then be overlaid atop the actual team icon, probably with a degree of transparency as to not completely blot out the team logo, all while staying locked in place while a user drags that playerbar all over the interactable face of AGM.

The easiest solution is to take that database of player numbers and generate the 900+ images that have what I've described above and use those with some sort of lookup function (ex. the string that generates Connor McDavid's playerbar also returns Oilers_97.png as the jersey number+team icon image on that playerbar) to present the final product. Easiest yes, but likely a ton of work for a small visual add.

Yeah I was thinking the number would be in the same style of the jersey (The Rangers numbers are very different compared to the Coyotes). I'm not expert on the web development side (other than basic HTML from a project) but what you said makes sense. Understand it wouldn't be a priority/time consuming with little benefit. Maybe a test run with one or two teams and some user community feedback would maybe make it worth it? Just spitballin, but I know DailyFaceoff has jerseys with player names/number and jersey format. Not sure how that is formatted though.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 1:35 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Yeah I was thinking the number would be in the same style of the jersey (The Rangers numbers are very different compared to the Coyotes). I'm not expert on the web development side (other than basic HTML from a project) but what you said makes sense. Understand it wouldn't be a priority/time consuming with little benefit. Maybe a test run with one or two teams and some user community feedback would maybe make it worth it? Just spitballin, but I know DailyFaceoff has jerseys with player names/number and jersey format. Not sure how that is formatted though.

They're all individual image files.
phillyjabroni liked this.
Oct. 2, 2023 at 2:51 p.m.
45 for Norris.
I think there should be a placeholder team to make trades with, as a ducks fan I am sick and tired of trying to find trades with the ducks but like 85% of the time its not an actual trade and it says “Anywhere” or “Shouldn’t have been signed”.
I know this has been complained about before.
Oct. 3, 2023 at 11:27 a.m.
An idea for young CHL players...if a signed player is junior-eligible, and has derived from the CHL, maybe include a some indicator that they are ineligible for AHL. And its possible with the special exemption for Wright, there will become a third bucket...

-- 1.) Junior-eligible, eligible for AHL (ie, Europeans, guys who left college, etc)
-- 2.) Junior-eligible, ineligible for AHL (players from WHL, OHL, QMJHL)
-- 3.) Junior-eligible, exempt for AHL (Shane Wright)

I know under the team rosters, Non-roster players will say "Junior" under Status. (ie, way Josh Filmon is listed now on NJD roster). Maybe it could be indicated there (or linked if one clicked the word "Junior").

I also know, under the Depth Charts, it will show signed players that are loaned back to juniors under "Loans" (ie, on NJD depth chart

If they are on NHL roster, there is no way of knowing without looking up their birthday and original junior league. And there is no way to sort through a bunch of players quickly.

It would be helpful if there was a way to screen the players for who may be sent to AHL and who cannot. Maybe a simple page, with a dropdown for each team, listing all signed junior players and the year the players would be eligible for AHL (and in Wright's case, who got exempted out of CHL). Sort of like the waivers calculator but only needs to update once a year after draft (and whenever someone gets exempt).
Oct. 3, 2023 at 1:27 p.m.
GO KNIGHTS GO
I really like the new scouting reports on the homepage! Will there be a way to sort them soon?
Oct. 5, 2023 at 12:24 p.m.
Allow “%” (percentage) to be used in ACGM team titles.
Oct. 6, 2023 at 3:01 p.m.
Edited Oct. 6, 2023 at 6:11 p.m.
I noticed the "SCOUTNG" tab along the top banner of the home page. It's a nice additional feature to the site. Being a Blackhawks fan I gravitated to the Chicago page and noticed some of their prospects do not have a scouting report. e.g. Colton Dach and Lukas Reichel. Is this feature still a work in progress or is there a different reason for them missing?

And if you're open to a suggestion, maybe you can develop a link to a player's Scouting Report directly from their individual biographical/statistical page. I'm thinking of another blue box labeled "SCOUTING REPORT" adjacent to the TRANSACTIONS, STATUS UPDATE and INJURY UPDATE boxes.
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Oct. 6, 2023 at 8:36 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
with all the buzz around potential Expansion teams, I think a expansion draft feature like the Seattle and Vegas ones, but not associated to an actual team, and expansion based on todays current NHL would be fun.
GeneralLandro liked this.
Oct. 18, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.
Can we get the Expansion Draft back?

Maybe another page similar to the AGM’s where you can post your team along with a team name
Oct. 18, 2023 at 3:22 p.m.
If possible, I'd like to see the Mock Draft have a function where we can customize the draft order. This would be especially handy for projections/predictions of future drafts.
BigBallsBriere and Leafsfan98 liked this.
Oct. 23, 2023 at 1:49 p.m.
On the injury updates page, maybe add a filter by duration…or a way to hide day-to-day injuries.

(Would also be cool if you could list estimated date of return…but I doubt teams are giving enough info to make that consistent).
Oct. 31, 2023 at 11:42 a.m.
I got a suggestion, I would ask the creators of the "Scouting" feature to provide a detailed explanation of how the ratings are weighted because some of them seem truly awful without some sort of context to back it up so the viewer can make sense of it.
Oct. 31, 2023 at 12:23 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: F50marco
I got a suggestion, I would ask the creators of the "Scouting" feature to provide a detailed explanation of how the ratings are weighted because some of them seem truly awful without some sort of context to back it up so the viewer can make sense of it.

Yeah I really don't understand how Fox is only 1 point better than Matheson. Their rating system is horrible and isn't corroborated by the eye test or stats
F50marco liked this.
Dec. 1, 2023 at 12:25 a.m.
ETA of 2024 draft getting loaded up?
Dec. 2, 2023 at 9:43 a.m.
I was wondering if the Czech and Slovak players could get diacritics on their names like the Scandinavian and French-Canadian players. I’m a linguistics nerd.
Dec. 4, 2023 at 11:50 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Can we just delete the embed tweet option? Doesn't seem to work anymore
Dec. 7, 2023 at 10:36 a.m.
Just delete the scouting reports. There are terribly misleading and only posted for handful of teams.

Or at very least, delete all the numerical portions and just leave the written reports up (if they are paying to have them posted…don’t want to limit a revenue stream).
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Dec. 7, 2023 at 6:01 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Just delete the scouting reports. There are terribly misleading and only posted for handful of teams.

Or at very least, delete all the numerical portions and just leave the written reports up (if they are paying to have them posted…don’t want to limit a revenue stream).

If deleting them is too extreme, the ability to toggle them on and off would be greatly appreciated as a solution. I don't particularly care for them myself either.
Dec. 22, 2023 at 2:10 p.m.
If deleting them is too extreme, the ability to toggle them on and off would be greatly appreciated as a solution. I don't particularly care for them myself either.

I think posting them may hurt CapFriendly’s credibility. They only seem to scout Canadian teams…and the more they are read, the more biased they appear. They have some junior players as better than some current NHL all-stars.

Just delete em all.
Dec. 22, 2023 at 4:14 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
I think posting them may hurt CapFriendly’s credibility. They only seem to scout Canadian teams…and the more they are read, the more biased they appear. They have some junior players as better than some current NHL all-stars.

Just delete em all.

I would like to point out the overalls are weighted against equal counterparts at the same talent level (so all prospects OVR's are comparable, all 1st liners, all 2nd liners, etc). The biggest problem with the scouting reports seems to be the fact there's a high bar to understand them

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll