Forums/Armchair-GM

New faces to get some refresh and keeping both Murray and Jarry

Created by: Willian_Cardoso
Team: 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 13, 2020
Published: Aug. 14, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The idea here is quite simple: get Pens some refresh with new faces. The only player in these trades it'd be sad to me to see going away is Rust. All the others it'd be great to see getting rid. But I know it'd almost impossible to get rid all of them.

Anyway, I hope to see at least JJ and 2 more of them getting rid (Hörnqvist and Simon, if you ask me). Good Luck, JR.

PS: We MUST keep both Murray and Jarry for one more season, cause to me we won't see enough from Jarry and Murray have showed some inconsistence sometimes, specialy in regular season. Then, after next season, when the expasion draft comes, we can decide which one will stay and be traded, as we did between Fleury and Murray in Vegas expansion.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$4,500,000
1$2,500,000
1$2,500,000
1$2,000,000
1$800,000
1$875,000
3$3,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$5,000,000
Trades
PIT
  1. Bonino, Nick ($1,100,000 retained)
NSH
  1. Hörnqvist, Patric ($2,120,000 retained)
PIT
  1. Brown, Connor [RFA Rights]
  2. Reilly, Mike
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (OTT)
Additional Details:
Conditional 2021 3rd: If Rust scores the same or more goals and/or +60 points in next regular season and/or Ottawa gets to playoffs.
OTT
  1. Johnson, Jack ($1,300,000 retained)
  2. Rust, Bryan
  3. Simon, Dominik [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
2022 Conditional 4th: If Brown scores 20 goals and/or +50 points in next regular season.
PIT
  1. Moore, Trevor
  2. 2021 5th round pick (LAK)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$79,383,508$0$1,062,500$2,116,492

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$800,000$800,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
UFA - 4
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
UFA - 5
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 3
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 14, 2020 at 11:02 p.m.
OTT declines.

Career year players playing with Malkin are not what OTT needs.

If you put CBrown with Malkin he scores 60. To dump JJ will cost PIT a 1st.
gmgb liked this.
Aug. 14, 2020 at 11:08 p.m.
What happens with Murray and Jarry next year? Who do you lose/trade?
Aug. 14, 2020 at 11:18 p.m.
Quoting: PLDGEY
OTT declines.

Ottawa eats that up in a second LMFAO. What are you saying. Pens are retaining on JJ too. That’s awful for Pittsburgh. Oh ya Brown would put up 60 with malkin just like how he did with Matthews right? Brown did good because he was in an elevated role in Ottawa. In Pittsburgh he wouldn’t get those opportunities and would probably be a third liner. Hard pass.
Aug. 14, 2020 at 11:27 p.m.
Everyone else declines.
Aug. 14, 2020 at 11:28 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
What happens with Murray and Jarry next year? Who do you lose/trade?

That's the one million question. It's because I have no answer to that question yet that I think Pens must keep both. It's not clear to me who should be our franchise goalie. I think we'll have the answer after next season and then Pens can choose which one should be traded.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Aug. 14, 2020 at 11:33 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: mhockey91
Ottawa eats that up in a second LMFAO. What are you saying. Pens are retaining on JJ too. That’s awful for Pittsburgh. Oh ya Brown would put up 60 with malkin just like how he did with Matthews right? Brown did good because he was in an elevated role in Ottawa. In Pittsburgh he wouldn’t get those opportunities and would probably be a third liner. Hard pass.

In my scenario he could play along Crosby and Guentzel. Even Dupuis played well with Sid. I'm almost sure that Brown could do it either. Retain JJ it's not awful, it's the REALITY. Which team do you think that will want to keep his entire salary? Not even Ottawa will do it. It's far from the ideal, but we have to face the reality that JJ is BAD and also his contract. Every teams knows it either.
Aug. 14, 2020 at 11:36 p.m.
Quoting: Willian_Cardoso
In my scenario he could play along Crosby and Guentzel. Even Dupuis played well with Sid. I'm almost sure that Brown could do it either. Retain JJ it's not awful, it's the REALITY. Which team do you think that will want to keep his entire salary? Not even Ottawa will do it. It's far from the ideal, but we have to face the reality that JJ is BAD and also his contract. Every teams knows it either.

If we could trade Gudbranson without retention, we could trade Johnson. In this trade, Ottawa would 100% have to take his full contract. I like brown, and I think he would be a good fit here, but not at the cost of Rust. Hell Ottawa took Zaitsev who is also an awful contract Lol. Pens could ship off JJ easier than most fans think
Aug. 14, 2020 at 11:38 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
OTT declines.

You're ignoring how good is Rust. He's MUCH BETTER than Brown. Not only defensively, but specially offensively. Rust had more than one point per game. That's HUGE even for a player which played along Sid and Geno. He plays great in both ends of the rink. Great speed, great PK and good PP. Besides, he's CLUTCH. He has the whole package. You're saying like both have the same value. You're out of your mind if you think like that.
Aug. 14, 2020 at 11:45 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: gmgb
Everyone else declines.

Nashville trade makes a lot of sense. They have a ton of centers and almost no wingers. Besides, Horny has a history in Nashville. Maybe it's not the best idea, but it's something more plausible than you think. As for the Kings, their LD are awful. They almost have no one. Riikola would be a top 6 pair in their team. That's a no brainer. Aston Reese is their type of player. A physical one and very good defensively and great PK. So, it's not a crazy thing to imagine that happen.

I think all the trades worths the shot and could be listened by these teams. If they'll accept, Idk. But I'm SURE that I've seen trades much more unreasonable than these ones happening in NHL.
Aug. 14, 2020 at 11:52 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
If we could trade Gudbranson without retention, we could trade Johnson. In this trade, Ottawa would 100% have to take his full contract. I like brown, and I think he would be a good fit here, but not at the cost of Rust. Hell Ottawa took Zaitsev who is also an awful contract Lol. Pens could ship off JJ easier than most fans think

The scenario is different here. Ottawa isn't a garbage team anymore. I can't see any team wishing to keep his contract. Rust was the price that I have to pay to get rid of him. I'm almost sure that Pens will have to make at least one sacrifice to retool the team in the offseason. It's better to lose Rust than Jarry or Murray. I don't think we've seen enough to choose between one of them. I can't see Murray being traded right now and I think we could regret to trade Jarry after a great season. He's 1 year younger than Murray and deserves one more season in Pens.
Aug. 14, 2020 at 11:55 p.m.
The scenario is different here. Ottawa isn't a garbage team anymore. I can't see any team wishing to keep his contract. Rust was the price that I have to pay to get rid of him. I'm almost sure that Pens will have to make at least one sacrifice to retool the team in the offseason. It's better to lose Rust than Jarry or Murray. I don't think we've seen enough to choose between one of them. I can't see Murray being traded right now and I think we could regret to trade Jarry after a great season. He's 1 year younger than Murray and deserves one more season in Pens.

Pens will make a sacrifice to move JJ, but once again to compare the zaitsev deal, they gave up Connor brown who had similar numbers to Simon. Pens would also have to add a bit but it certainly wouldn’t cost rust when zaitsev had a longer and worse contract. Ottawa still sucks and will suck for years. They could probably use JJ to eat minutes. Their prospects are still years away despite what they think
Aug. 14, 2020 at 11:58 p.m.
That's the one million question. It's because I have no answer to that question yet that I think Pens must keep both. It's not clear to me who should be our franchise goalie. I think we'll have the answer after next season and then Pens can choose which one should be traded.

I agree, maybe sign Jarry for a year and let him go to UFA and then keep him the next, and tell him that.
Aug. 15, 2020 at 12:10 a.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
I agree, maybe sign Jarry for a year and let him go to UFA and then keep him the next, and tell him that.

I miss that Jarry would be UFA signing a one year contract. If that's the case, of course Pens should give him at least 2 years to have a chance to trade him next season. My point here is to give him and Murray another opportunity to Pens make the better choice. Jarry could prove he's a real deal and Murray would have the opportunity to bounce back and prove he's the same goalie which help us a lot to win back to back cups.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Aug. 15, 2020 at 12:35 a.m.
You're ignoring how good is Rust. He's MUCH BETTER than Brown. Not only defensively, but specially offensively. Rust had more than one point per game. That's HUGE even for a player which played along Sid and Geno. He plays great in both ends of the rink. Great speed, great PK and good PP. Besides, he's CLUTCH. He has the whole package. You're saying like both have the same value. You're out of your mind if you think like that.

This is the first year Rust has shown he is better than Brown. Brown also plays all situations. Rust got 20% more TOI this year, played with Malkin and got 60% offensive zone starts.

Were not paying PIT for him. If he is so good, PIT can find a buyer for him. He doesnt fit the age of our rebuild.

Like Rust might be this good for a couple years, in which case the trade is fair, but we have no reason to believe that Rust is the driving force of this new production, so its a gamble OTT has no reason to take
Aug. 15, 2020 at 12:38 a.m.

Retaining 1.3M still leaves 2M per year for 3 years. He takes 6M, is ****, takes a roster spot and a contract spot.

I wouldnt give 33OA for Rust, let alone the rest of this trade. He shot nearly 20%, had inflated TOI, played with Malkin, got 60% Offensive zone starts, had inflated PDO. Everything about him screams regression, sell your scraps elsewhere.
Aug. 15, 2020 at 1:07 a.m.
Let's go Pens!
Retaining 1.3M still leaves 2M per year for 3 years. He takes 6M, is ****, takes a roster spot and a contract spot.

I wouldnt give 33OA for Rust, let alone the rest of this trade. He shot nearly 20%, had inflated TOI, played with Malkin, got 60% Offensive zone starts, had inflated PDO. Everything about him screams regression, sell your scraps elsewhere.

You can't be serious here. Ok you say he's not a fit in your team, because Ottawa still is a rebuilder. But you're saying like he's almost a garbage. You're completely out of your mind. Take a look of how many players had one point per season, even playing with Sid and Geno. JUST GUENTZEL. At this moment, Rust is better than all of your wingers but Tkachuk. That's a fact. The guy has experience and he always give 100%. He has something that few players have: He's CLUTCH. That's quite something for a team which wants to be a winner and contender.
mhockey91 liked this.
Aug. 15, 2020 at 1:36 a.m.
You can't be serious here. Ok you say he's not a fit in your team, because Ottawa still is a rebuilder. But you're saying like he's almost a garbage. You're completely out of your mind. Take a look of how many players had one point per season, even playing with Sid and Geno. JUST GUENTZEL. At this moment, Rust is better than all of your wingers but Tkachuk. That's a fact. The guy has experience and he always give 100%. He has something that few players have: He's CLUTCH. That's quite something for a team which wants to be a winner and contender.

Im not saying he is almost garbage. Im saying he is equivalent value to CBrown. He is slightly better, but CBrown is younger and under team control.

Rust @ 3.5M (at his current production) is a steal, but if he drops to what he was the last 3 years that is just an average contract, and we will have a 31yo at the end right when Ottawa is trying to contend.

Rust is fine, but he is not worth taking JJ

OTT can just keep Brown, sell Rielly for a 4th and draft a kid at 33OA. In 3 years when were entering our prime window, we will be better off.
Aug. 15, 2020 at 1:50 a.m.
I miss that Jarry would be UFA signing a one year contract. If that's the case, of course Pens should give him at least 2 years to have a chance to trade him next season. My point here is to give him and Murray another opportunity to Pens make the better choice. Jarry could prove he's a real deal and Murray would have the opportunity to bounce back and prove he's the same goalie which help us a lot to win back to back cups.

Ye, I can see that, is Jarry an RFA? Or how's that work?
Aug. 15, 2020 at 2:31 a.m.
Edited Aug. 15, 2020 at 3:50 a.m.

Calling rust scraps just proves your lack of hockey knowledge. He’d be your 2nd best forward behind Tkachuk. And if Ottawa took Zaitsev for Brown, who is arguably a worse contract, they’d take Johnson for someone like McCann.
Aug. 15, 2020 at 9:52 a.m.
Calling rust scraps just proves your lack of hockey knowledge. He’d be your 2nd best forward behind Tkachuk. And if Ottawa took Zaitsev for Brown, who is arguably a worse contract, they’d take Johnson for someone like McCann.

He is scraps if he isnt wanted by PIT and not needed by OTT. Yeah he would be, but that doesnt we would be likely to recapture the same value when we trade him, and we dont *need* him for the next 2 years.

Ottawa took Zaitsev for Brown, and offload Cody Ceci back. Zaitsev is better than JJ by a good margin.

1. Just because OTT makes a bad trade doesnt mean we want more bad trades

2. Okay, so if you want this, you have to take Anisimov back instead of Mike Reilly, and drop the 33OA.

It comes down to Rust = Brown. Pay us to take JJ, were not paying you. Explain how taking this trade helps OTT compete in 2 years.
Aug. 15, 2020 at 1:49 p.m.
He is scraps if he isnt wanted by PIT and not needed by OTT. Yeah he would be, but that doesnt we would be likely to recapture the same value when we trade him, and we dont *need* him for the next 2 years.

Ottawa took Zaitsev for Brown, and offload Cody Ceci back. Zaitsev is better than JJ by a good margin.

1. Just because OTT makes a bad trade doesnt mean we want more bad trades

2. Okay, so if you want this, you have to take Anisimov back instead of Mike Reilly, and drop the 33OA.

It comes down to Rust = Brown. Pay us to take JJ, were not paying you. Explain how taking this trade helps OTT compete in 2 years.

Actually no not at all. Rust is way better than Brown at the time of the trade. It’s not even close. And rust is wanted by Pittsburgh. He will not be traded. So get that idea through your head.

It would be McCann + Johnson for a pick. You also didnt “offload Ceci” since he didnt have a contract.

McCann + Johnson for whatever would be a fair way to dump him. Ottawa gets a good young forward (who was significantly better than brown at the time of the trade) and Ottawa takes on JJ whose contract is not as bad as zaitsev but he’s also the worse player
Aug. 15, 2020 at 2:04 p.m.
Nashville trade makes a lot of sense. They have a ton of centers and almost no wingers. Besides, Horny has a history in Nashville. Maybe it's not the best idea, but it's something more plausible than you think. As for the Kings, their LD are awful. They almost have no one. Riikola would be a top 6 pair in their team. That's a no brainer. Aston Reese is their type of player. A physical one and very good defensively and great PK. So, it's not a crazy thing to imagine that happen.

I think all the trades worths the shot and could be listened by these teams. If they'll accept, Idk. But I'm SURE that I've seen trades much more unreasonable than these ones happening in NHL.

It's actually your NSH proposal that makes the least sense to me. The Preds are one of the oldest teams in the league, and have some cap issues. So getting an older, more expensive player with more term doesn't work for them.

I can see why PIT would be interested in Bonino. He just has one year of term left, has a history with the organization, and is still playing a high level (just had one of his best ever seasons). But Hornqvist looks pretty washed, and NSH doesn't have a space or the need for him in their bottom six.

The Preds' biggest needs right now are top six scoring wingers (Bonino wouldn't return that on his own), an upgrade to the bottom pairing, and picks/prospects. If the Penguins want to reunite with Bonino, an offer with some of these pieces would be more likely to be accepted.
Aug. 15, 2020 at 3:23 p.m.
Actually no not at all. Rust is way better than Brown at the time of the trade. It’s not even close. And rust is wanted by Pittsburgh. He will not be traded. So get that idea through your head.

It would be McCann + Johnson for a pick. You also didnt “offload Ceci” since he didnt have a contract.

McCann + Johnson for whatever would be a fair way to dump him. Ottawa gets a good young forward (who was significantly better than brown at the time of the trade) and Ottawa takes on JJ whose contract is not as bad as zaitsev but he’s also the worse player

You can say it as often as you want, but Rust has one season where he is better (and not much better after you account for quality off linemates, shooting percentage, PDO, deployment, OZ%/DZ% starts). Its not worth the risk he regresses to what he was for the last 4 years

LOL okay, fine then. Keep him. Im not trying to convince you to trade him to me for cheap. Keep him I dont give a ****.

OTT would Decline McCann + JJ for a pick. Doesnt matter what the pick is. OTT declines. Not worth it. McCanns 2 most common lines last year were both featuring Malkin or Crosby. OTT isnt paying to take a spare piece. Were not looking for bottom 6 depth, we have too much of it already
Aug. 15, 2020 at 5:42 p.m.
Honestly I think the kings just stay the course with their own prospects. The left side for them will be UFA, Anderson, one of clague/bjornfot and macdermaid. Yes that’s not very good but they won’t be trading For the same type of player... I do like ZAR though
Aug. 16, 2020 at 2:44 p.m.
You can say it as often as you want, but Rust has one season where he is better (and not much better after you account for quality off linemates, shooting percentage, PDO, deployment, OZ%/DZ% starts). Its not worth the risk he regresses to what he was for the last 4 years

LOL okay, fine then. Keep him. Im not trying to convince you to trade him to me for cheap. Keep him I dont give a ****.

OTT would Decline McCann + JJ for a pick. Doesnt matter what the pick is. OTT declines. Not worth it. McCanns 2 most common lines last year were both featuring Malkin or Crosby. OTT isnt paying to take a spare piece. Were not looking for bottom 6 depth, we have too much of it already

watch some of the 2016 and 2017 Stanley cup runs and see how much Rust elevated his game especially in elimination games. He is not a spare part so get that idea out of your head. and every season of rusts career hes been significantly better than brown except browns rookie year. again, its not even close. This year Rust just elevated his game even further. Do I think hes gonna be a consistent 80+ point player? no. but hes still got a much higher upside than brown clearly.

and you say Ottawa would decline McCann for Johnson, but at the end of the day, you have absolutely no idea because you're just an armchair poster. But the FACTS are, they excepted a similar deal with Zaitsev + Brown for whatever and it actually worked out for them. That is a trade where I am very confident Ottawa would make, based on past historical evidence. you just keep living in your bubble. He also wouldn't be "bottom 6 depth" as he'd immediately be your 2LW after Tkachuk. And he also didnt spend much time playing with Crosby. He spent more time centring the third line with Hornqvist

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll