Forums/Armchair-GM

Marner wont make 8 figures

Created by: Goulet
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 13, 2018
Published: Dec. 13, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Only a dozen or so wingers make 7M or more (cap hit) and only 1, Kane, makes over 10M.
Marner is a great playmaker but he isn't Kane, and he hasn't won anything as of yet. Pastrnak, Nylander, and maybe Gaudreau is the best comparable. 9.25% of the cap is what he got, Nylander 8.8%, Pastrnak 8.89%.

Some may point to Draisaitl but at 11.33% he is a little overpaid.

Marner on a 6 year deal at 9.25% has him at 7,677,500 on a cap of the projected 83M. Given his production, this is a very realistic number for him, less on a 4 or 5 year deal, and again, realistically, the Leafs can't afford 8 year terms for Marner or Matthews without taking a step in the wrong direction as a team.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$7,677,500
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
13$83,000,000$58,403,199$0$0$24,596,801
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$7,677,500$7,677,500
RW
UFA - 6
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 13, 2018 at 2:46 p.m.
Pass it to Lucic
well i guess Marner is looking to hold out as well. he should look good when he finally plays next December.
Dec. 13, 2018 at 2:47 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: Goulet
At some point you should consider backing up your baseless opinions because your narrative is getting old.

Stamkos outscored Matthews on his ELC and at one time was the same type of pure scorer. Then injuries began to take their toll. Sound familiar?

As for evidence....uhhhh the kids probably going to put up 100 points....the last guy that signed a deal after a 100 point season signed for 12.75. His name is McDavid, maybe ya heard of him? Every agent in the world would laugh at an offer under 10 and point at jack eichel. Easiest negotiation ever.

As for stamkos, I think you’re just forgetting his rookie year, and adding his 4th year. Matthews, despite him missing lots of time due to injury and stamkos missing none, will quite likely score far more goals than stamkos did on his elc, albeit with fewer assists. Matthews will very likely lead the league in goals per game over the course of his elc. The last player to do that was named ovechkin. His mom negotiated a 9.5 million dollar deal when the cap was like 47 million.

Goddamnit I like when the leafs are good because it’s just fun for rivalries but you guys are so ridiculously intolerable when it comes to front office stuff. Your players are good, they’re getting paid. Deal with it
Dec. 13, 2018 at 2:47 p.m.
Banned
They don't hand out contracts based on 17 game samples.

Nope they don't. They hand them out based on him taking a dumpster fire of a team on his back to the playoffs the last 2 years and totally tearing it up this year.
Dec. 13, 2018 at 2:55 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
"the Leafs can't afford 8 year terms for Marner or Matthews without taking a step in the wrong direction as a team."

Marner could give two Fs less about any of that.

Trying to compare his contract to Kane is laughable. Hey guess what, McDavid hasn't won 3 cups and been the best player in the league for a decade and he still makes a lot more than 8.7 million.

It don't mean squat. It's all about what you can get because that's the name of the game. Otherwise you'd never have need for a cap increase.

Toronto has no choice but to lock him up long term. Because A. they don't want to end up in arbitration and B. bridging him will be more painful down the road.
Which means you are either going to see a lot of money coughed up or a long hold out just like Nylander. When they end up coughing up 13 million for Matthews, my guess is the contract on Marner is gonna easily be 8+.
Every point he racks up on stupid assists is gonna help inflate that number too. Which is rather hilarious. He's on pace for 108 points this year, 92 of them are on assists. A whopping 16 goals and you will still be forced to pay him a boat load of cash. Not even worth it in my book, but because fans are idiots they will be dishing out 8+ no problem.

Marner has no rights. He could sit out like Nylander but that is his only option. McDavid and Crosby are irrelevant, as is Kane.

Marner is an elite passer. He scores less goals than all his comps and at this point in the season, it looks like he should make a little more than Nylander. The Leafs have a salary structure, as do other winning teams, and it's important to understand that they play for more than just the money.
Dec. 13, 2018 at 2:58 p.m.
Nope they don't. They hand them out based on him taking a dumpster fire of a team on his back to the playoffs the last 2 years and totally tearing it up this year.

He wasn't alone. Although, he seemed alone in the playoffs...and the team wins without him. Hard to see him being worth what the fans believe he is when the team chugs along just fine without him.
Dec. 13, 2018 at 3:00 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Juice
Here’s what Marner is going to do and I’m willing to wager on it.

He is waiting for Matthews to sign first. Anyone who thinks
Matthews takes less than $11m isn’t being realistic.

Marner will then compare himself to Matthews and ask for $10.5. Maybe they settle on $9.5, but I say Marner taking between $9-$10m on 7-8yrs is a discount.

There is no doubt the wise agent waits.
But I'm just being honest when I say. The guy is on pace for like 16 goals this year. Has shown he's roughly a 20 goal scorer.
People can talk points all day. It's one of the reasons why I hate the points system. Passing the puck doesn't make you a great player. Are some of those assists worthy of a point, sure are. Are they all, probably not.
When it comes to weighting a value of a player, assists is far less valuable to me than putting the puck in the net. Which is something that Matthews excels at.
I totally agree they are probably gonna end up paying him. My guess is that his point total will dictate the number his salary starts with. But I think it's a huge waste. I wouldn't pay a 20 goal scorer 9 million a year.
That's why I think Matthews is a bad comparable for him. Matthews is a 40 goal scorer reliably his first 2 years. This year with the extra help he's damn near unstoppable. He's gonna crack 50 goals easy this year. I just don't see how Marner is even close in value to that. He's not.
Dec. 13, 2018 at 3:01 p.m.
Banned
A better comparable.. Leon Draisaitl.

Draisaitl through his ELC (first 3 seasons): 137pts in 191gp=0.717ppg. Signs a 8yr deal worth 8.5M per season when the cap went up to 75M for 11.3% of the cap
Marner through his ELC (so far): 171pts in 190gp=0.90ppg. At 11.3% of an expected 83M cap Marner would come in at a 8yr deal worth roughly 9.379M per season.

& keep in mind that Marner has the negotiation benefit of him controlling more play than Draisaitl. Toronto's powerply runs though Marner and he constantly controls play when he's on the ice. I'm not saying he'll get 9.379M on a 8 year deal, I'm saying that's the comparable he'll use to get paid like he deserves. For anyone saying that Draisaitl deserves more because he plays centre, keep in mind that he plays on McDavid's wing a lot. The reality is that the Draisaitl contract screwed a lot up for GM's cause now a lot of young guys look for term and high money opposed to the shorter term lesser valued deals (Thanks Chaiarelli..)

When it's all said and done IMO, Marner signs a 7yr deal worth somewhere between 8.5-9M and he's well worth every penny of that. It's gonna make the Leafs cap tight but I'm sure they're prepared for it
Dec. 13, 2018 at 3:02 p.m.
Banned
He wasn't alone. Although, he seemed alone in the playoffs...and the team wins without him. Hard to see him being worth what the fans believe he is when the team chugs along just fine without him.

He put in almost the same amount of goals as Marner and Nylander Combined. Please don't tell me he wasn't alone.
One is a beast the drives the team. The others are good complimentary pieces to the puzzle. it's not even close.
Dec. 13, 2018 at 3:08 p.m.
Quoting: Bcarlo25
As for evidence....uhhhh the kids probably going to put up 100 points....the last guy that signed a deal after a 100 point season signed for 12.75. His name is McDavid, maybe ya heard of him? Every agent in the world would laugh at an offer under 10 and point at jack eichel. Easiest negotiation ever.

As for stamkos, I think you’re just forgetting his rookie year, and adding his 4th year. Matthews, despite him missing lots of time due to injury and stamkos missing none, will quite likely score far more goals than stamkos did on his elc, albeit with fewer assists. Matthews will very likely lead the league in goals per game over the course of his elc. The last player to do that was named ovechkin. His mom negotiated a 9.5 million dollar deal when the cap was like 47 million.

Goddamnit I like when the leafs are good because it’s just fun for rivalries but you guys are so ridiculously intolerable when it comes to front office stuff. Your players are good, they’re getting paid. Deal with it

There are more than 20 players playing at a 100 point pace or better, right now, don't forget that. You're acting like Marner is the only one taking advantage of new rules, smaller goalie equipment, and a faster more skilled game.

Jack Eichel plays a different position. He is irrelevant in this negotiation.

Matthews would have to score another 39 goals to match the 119 Stamkos put up on his ELC. And Matthews won't come near his point totals either. OV doesn't enter into this equation yet. He was a game breaker and is/was the team, Matthews is not.
Dec. 13, 2018 at 3:14 p.m.
Who adds what?
Anyone else remember when RFAs earned less than UFAs? Should be a fun lockout, next year.
Dec. 13, 2018 at 3:14 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
That's not how anything works

Leaf fans now think that because JT wanted to play for his hometown and leave money on the table, that magically everyone born around the GTA will want to do the same.

Guys like JT are few and far between. Not saying Marner won’t do it, but it’s definitely not the norm.

Guys do want to go where they have a great chance at winning, and yes TOR is currently one of those markets. But if the leafs offer $7.5mil deal, and NSH (tax free state), or BUF (can still be considered right next to his hometown) offer sheet him at $9.5mil aav. TOR are gonna have to step up and pay.
Dec. 13, 2018 at 3:15 p.m.
Banned
Marner has no rights. He could sit out like Nylander but that is his only option. McDavid and Crosby are irrelevant, as is Kane.

Marner is an elite passer. He scores less goals than all his comps and at this point in the season, it looks like he should make a little more than Nylander. The Leafs have a salary structure, as do other winning teams, and it's important to understand that they play for more than just the money.

I hate to break it to you but money is the exact reason they play. They don't play so the owner of the Leafs can get rich off them while they take discounts. I don't know why it's so hard for fans to understand that.
Nor do players care about the salary structure when it's their contract up.
As far as Marner is concerned, you can call him an elite passer or whatever else you want. He's a 20 goal scorer and people want to give him close to Matthews money who in his first 2 years was a 40 goal pace and this year he's gonna crack 50 unless he gets hurt, but will still have had a 50+ goal pace. They are not of the same value, even remotely. Matthews isn't OV. He doesn't just stand in some stupid circle and wait for other players to do all the work and pass it to him. He actually puts the puck on his stick and makes it happen. You got people wanting to pay Marner 9+ million for watching JT and Matthews do all that work. What an epic waste. He's not even close to being worth 9 million a year. I don't care how many assists he racks up. 7.5 maybe. But they will be forced into paying him because fans are stupid.
Dec. 13, 2018 at 3:17 p.m.
There is no doubt the wise agent waits.
But I'm just being honest when I say. The guy is on pace for like 16 goals this year. Has shown he's roughly a 20 goal scorer.
People can talk points all day. It's one of the reasons why I hate the points system. Passing the puck doesn't make you a great player. Are some of those assists worthy of a point, sure are. Are they all, probably not.
When it comes to weighting a value of a player, assists is far less valuable to me than putting the puck in the net. Which is something that Matthews excels at.
I totally agree they are probably gonna end up paying him. My guess is that his point total will dictate the number his salary starts with. But I think it's a huge waste. I wouldn't pay a 20 goal scorer 9 million a year.
That's why I think Matthews is a bad comparable for him. Matthews is a 40 goal scorer reliably his first 2 years. This year with the extra help he's damn near unstoppable. He's gonna crack 50 goals easy this year. I just don't see how Marner is even close in value to that. He's not.

I guess we both see different things when we watch the games. When Marner has the puck, he creates scoring opportunities better than any other Leaf. I honestly don’t recall another player in the league where, every time he notched an assist on a goal, my reaction has been to comment on the pass and not the shot into the back of the net.

He doesn’t play Center but the offense runs through him as if he does. He’s not a defenceman, but he’s one of the best power play QB’s in the league.

Anytime a hockey expert has been asked over the past 2.5yrs for a comparable player to Marner, they get tongue tied trying to come up with and answer and usually settle on Patrick Kane.

Since being moved off the 4th line last January, he’s been at a 100pt season pace. For me, he’s as elite a playmaker as they come and his creation of scoring chances out of nothing is almost as important as a guy scoring 40 himself
Dec. 13, 2018 at 3:19 p.m.
He put in almost the same amount of goals as Marner and Nylander Combined. Please don't tell me he wasn't alone.
One is a beast the drives the team. The others are good complimentary pieces to the puzzle. it's not even close.

1 goal last year in the playoffs. He was invisible.

I don't see him as a beast. The team does no better with him than it does without him suggesting that he too, is a complementary piece.

He produces a lot of points but he doesn't dominate games like real superstars do. I believe he will one day but he hasn't yet.
Dec. 13, 2018 at 3:20 p.m.
His points per game is still around Gaudreau. And you have to consider the Tavares affect as well.

It does and it did. You saw Tavares tweet right? Players want to win and there is no better market right now.

The tweet he sent after guaranteeing himself 77 million?
Dec. 13, 2018 at 3:20 p.m.
Quoting: Blazingbat11
Leaf fans now think that because JT wanted to play for his hometown and leave money on the table, that magically everyone born around the GTA will want to do the same.

Guys like JT are few and far between. Not saying Marner won’t do it, but it’s definitely not the norm.

Guys do want to go where they have a great chance at winning, and yes TOR is currently one of those markets. But if the leafs offer $7.5mil deal, and NSH (tax free state), or BUF (can still be considered right next to his hometown) offer sheet him at $9.5mil aav. TOR are gonna have to step up and pay.

He has to sign it first.
Dec. 13, 2018 at 3:26 p.m.
I hate to break it to you but money is the exact reason they play. They don't play so the owner of the Leafs can get rich off them while they take discounts. I don't know why it's so hard for fans to understand that.
Nor do players care about the salary structure when it's their contract up.
As far as Marner is concerned, you can call him an elite passer or whatever else you want. He's a 20 goal scorer and people want to give him close to Matthews money who in his first 2 years was a 40 goal pace and this year he's gonna crack 50 unless he gets hurt, but will still have had a 50+ goal pace. They are not of the same value, even remotely. Matthews isn't OV. He doesn't just stand in some stupid circle and wait for other players to do all the work and pass it to him. He actually puts the puck on his stick and makes it happen. You got people wanting to pay Marner 9+ million for watching JT and Matthews do all that work. What an epic waste. He's not even close to being worth 9 million a year. I don't care how many assists he racks up. 7.5 maybe. But they will be forced into paying him because fans are stupid.

I don’t think fans want him to make $9m +. Nor do I think what the fans ‘think he’s worth’ will have any impact whatsoever on contract negotiations.

If you value him at $7.5m-$8m then that’s fine. If you think Marner’s assists are not worth as much as goals. That cool too. You’re entitled to that opinion. But if others value the scoring chances he creates as being a rarer skill than the recipient of that pass who simply needs to bang the puck into an open cage, it makes their opinion different than yours, it doesn’t make them stupid for disagreeing with you
Dec. 13, 2018 at 3:32 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Juice
I guess we both see different things when we watch the games. When Marner has the puck, he creates scoring opportunities better than any other Leaf. I honestly don’t recall another player in the league where, every time he notched an assist on a goal, my reaction has been to comment on the pass and not the shot into the back of the net.

He doesn’t play Center but the offense runs through him as if he does. He’s not a defenceman, but he’s one of the best power play QB’s in the league.

Anytime a hockey expert has been asked over the past 2.5yrs for a comparable player to Marner, they get tongue tied trying to come up with and answer and usually settle on Patrick Kane.

Since being moved off the 4th line last January, he’s been at a 100pt season pace. For me, he’s as elite a playmaker as they come and his creation of scoring chances out of nothing is almost as important as a guy scoring 40 himself

Kane is such a bad comparable. Kane has never had 6/7th of his points come off assists. In Kanes best year when he scored 106 points he had 46 goals. In other words. Kane is a threat to put the puck in the net.
I'm not gonna sit here are argue the worthless ness of the word Playmaker. Crosby is a playmaker too, he still finds the net.
At the end of the day, that's what counts. I hardly think JT or Matthews needs Marner to open up space to create their goals. They don't.
He's a 20 goal scorer who's smart enough to pass the puck off to people who are better at doing what needs to be done.
That doesn't make you worth 9 million + a year. It just doesn't.
One is clearly more valuable than the other.
Dec. 13, 2018 at 3:35 p.m.
Banned
1 goal last year in the playoffs. He was invisible.

I don't see him as a beast. The team does no better with him than it does without him suggesting that he too, is a complementary piece.

He produces a lot of points but he doesn't dominate games like real superstars do. I believe he will one day but he hasn't yet.

what LOL
Dec. 13, 2018 at 3:40 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
The tweet he sent after guaranteeing himself 77 million?

Yeah the whole JT thing is way over blown. People want to make JT out like JT was a 100 point player who scored 40 goals a year. He wasn't.
He's a good player. But this act like he was under paid by Toronto is kind of laughable. Maybe he turned down more money from a team like Ottawa or Arizona. But they aren't over paying because he's skilled, they are over paying because no one wants to be in that dumpster fire.
Dec. 13, 2018 at 3:51 p.m.

I don't agree that he does it all by himself, but to suggest the team does just as well without the NHL's point leader is pretty stupid.
Dec. 13, 2018 at 4:04 p.m.
Forget about it Mathews gets 12 to 12.5 and Marner 9 to 9.5, Nylander is gone and maybe one of the big 3, did someone say cap trouble. You know they would get it on the open market and that's just what their agent is going to tell them.
Dec. 13, 2018 at 4:06 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
He has to sign it first.

And you’re saying he wouldn’t?

Considering Marner and his agent have said they won’t negotiate during the season, and that the expectation is that TOR are in for a deep playoff run (not if they face BOS that is *wink*) that leaves a very short window for Leafs to sign him before a hostile offer. And either it be Matthews or Marner, an offer sheet is coming if Dubas tries to play hard ball like he did with Nylander.
Dec. 13, 2018 at 4:17 p.m.
Quoting: Blazingbat11
And you’re saying he wouldn’t?

Considering Marner and his agent have said they won’t negotiate during the season, and that the expectation is that TOR are in for a deep playoff run (not if they face BOS that is *wink*) that leaves a very short window for Leafs to sign him before a hostile offer. And either it be Matthews or Marner, an offer sheet is coming if Dubas tries to play hard ball like he did with Nylander.

He's a 20 goal scorer who's smart enough to pass the puck off to people who are better at doing what needs to be done.
That doesn't make you worth 9 million + a year. It just doesn’t. .

Perhaps the single worst analysis of Marner I’ve read. You’re probably the same type of leaf fan that doesn’t want to pay him but blasts others fans who want to trade for him.

The economics of the league determine player worth. Not your impression of how invaluable assists are.
Dec. 13, 2018 at 4:44 p.m.
Marner will make 8 or more easily. That’s not even a discussion that he will make less imo.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll