SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Can anyone answer this question

Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 22, 2018
Published: Nov. 22, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If offensive players like Nylander are so common and easy to find, why is Nylander one of 5 players ever drafted by TO to have scored 2 60 point plus seasons by the age of 22?

He joins Russ Courtnal, Vincent Damphouse, Mitch Marner, Auston Matthews.

That isn't a long list. Players like Nylander are extremely rare, so tell me how it makes sense to trade him for defenceman who are either old (Pietrangelo) or just defensive defenceman who don't score (Pesce)?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$6,000,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$72,608,333$2,550,000$5,400,000$6,891,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
UFA - 6
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:19 p.m.
If he is such a rare offensive talent then why won't you pay him what he is worth?
radtad, yanp007, Blazingbat11 and 1 other person liked this.
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:20 p.m.
Also Pientrangelo is 28, not 35 and is one of the best defenseman in the NHL
SammyT_51 and TJTwolf liked this.
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:21 p.m.
LMAO If he was so Rare then why isn't he signed. 2 He isn't worth more than DD8 which is what he wants and it's never going to happen. Robby Fabbri could be at that point and no one would pay him 8M matter of fact Tarasenko scores 70+ Points and he is making 7.5M therefore Nylander is not worth anything north of 6.5M tbh.
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:23 p.m.
Also you only care about points. Pietrangelo is 28 that's not old if that's old Tavares is old then. Pesce is defensively one of the best DEFENSEman in the league. No wonder why he is called a defenseman HE PLAYS DEFENSE. Forwards are for scoring.
radtad liked this.
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:26 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
If he is such a rare offensive talent then why won't you pay him what he is worth?

Good counter question. The kucherov kinda scenario would be the best for everyone.. I want him to get paid as much as he deserves, honestly I want anybody to get paid but since there is cap space (which is bs, at least in its form now) but I would want to have cap abilities.. if Marleau has intention in retiring this would free 6.25 mil.. which would allow us to pay Nylander 8mil.

As for Logans question.. I still think the best is to keep him but if he is staying like this defensive help along in package for cheaper offensive help would be a good idea. Nylander is impactful player with a TON of potential but there is thing with contracts and again showing my hatred towards cap space in its current form..
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:26 p.m.
Banned

I'd be happy with anything at 7.5 and under on a long term deal. I still have hopes that he accepts that but we'll see. I just put this in here because I think he'll bend for a higher priced bridge deal hoping to cash in, in 2y years when Marleau is gone.
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:28 p.m.
I like Nylander and I hope he re-signs. That being said, he is much less valuable than Matthews and Marner. Overpaying Nylander affects the contract negotiations of 34 and 16 - the leafs cant let that happen. Falling in love with a player and over-paying him would be detrimental to Tor. I still think he re-signs, but if he is not willing to budge on his asking price, it would be in Toronto's best interest to trade him. It comes down to team needs and dealing form a position of strength on the wing for TOR. Like I said, I like Nylander, hes a very good player - but it would not be wise to over pay him.
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:35 p.m.
Banned
Also Pientrangelo is 28, not 35 and is one of the best defenseman in the NHL

Yes he is and I am not at all taking a shot at him. The point though is a 22 year old winger hasn't even entered his prime while a 28 year old defenceman is on the back side of his peak and won't get better from here on out. Which is why I would never trade Nylander for Pietrangelo. Its giving an appreciating asset that is worth less than Pietrangelo now, but will be worth considerable more in the not so distant future. Nylander at 24 will be worth more than Pietrangelo at 30, considering Pietrangelo will be looking to cash in for being a Norris candidate for much of his 20's.
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:37 p.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
Yes he is and I am not at all taking a shot at him. The point though is a 22 year old winger hasn't even entered his prime while a 28 year old defenceman is on the back side of his peak and won't get better from here on out. Which is why I would never trade Nylander for Pietrangelo. Its giving an appreciating asset that is worth less than Pietrangelo now, but will be worth considerable more in the not so distant future. Nylander at 24 will be worth more than Pietrangelo at 30, considering Pietrangelo will be looking to cash in for being a Norris candidate for much of his 20's.

This point gets destroyed when you give Tavares 77 million.
McFaksaGOAT and TJTwolf liked this.
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:43 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
LMAO If he was so Rare then why isn't he signed. 2 He isn't worth more than DD8 which is what he wants and it's never going to happen. Robby Fabbri could be at that point and no one would pay him 8M matter of fact Tarasenko scores 70+ Points and he is making 7.5M therefore Nylander is not worth anything north of 6.5M tbh.

Sure if you only want to look backwards, I can understand the logic of your statement. All the players you want to compare him too based off of their production in the past and Nylander's past production does point to him not being worth 8 million. But what if you look forward? And this is what Nylander's camp is arguing. A long term contract for Nylander will stretch through almost or all of his prime years. (His 20's) I think he is pretty sure that if he does what Pastrnak did he'll be underpaid for his best years. Look at what's happening to all these teams that gave massive deals to guys in their late 20's who got term and massive contracts, they are declining assets who can't live up to their contracts. How long before GM's say, "No we aren't giving you a huge contract for all the things you accomplished in the past. We'll give you either short term or really low cap hit because we know you are going to be a declining asset." I think that'll happen very soon and if Nylander signs long term he wants to make sure he get's paid what he thinks he will be worth in the very near future and over the length of the contract. So he isn't being greedy, he's being smart and I don't blame him.
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:43 p.m.
Quoting: SammyT_51
Good counter question. The kucherov kinda scenario would be the best for everyone.. I want him to get paid as much as he deserves, honestly I want anybody to get paid but since there is cap space (which is bs, at least in its form now) but I would want to have cap abilities.. if Marleau has intention in retiring this would free 6.25 mil.. which would allow us to pay Nylander 8mil.

As for Logans question.. I still think the best is to keep him but if he is staying like this defensive help along in package for cheaper offensive help would be a good idea. Nylander is impactful player with a TON of potential but there is thing with contracts and again showing my hatred towards cap space in its current form..

If Marleau retires, it does not free up $6.25, as his contract was signed when he was older than 35 years of age and thus still counts against the cap whether he is active or not.
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:44 p.m.

Again and again... if he's so good, why don't you pay him ? Pietrangelo vs Nylander 1 for 1... It's a BIG joke!! Toronto must add something in this trade, a prospect grade A or a 1st pick...
TJTwolf liked this.
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:45 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: Tyson
If Marleau retires, it does not free up $6.25, as his contract was signed when he was older than 35 years of age and thus still counds against the cap whether he is active or not.

Trade his contract to team that hits the floor and retire after reaching end of that contract, but I dont see Marleau wanting to retire anytime soon, has the skating and action in him still. usefull mentor and two way scorer.
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:45 p.m.
Sure if you only want to look backwards, I can understand the logic of your statement. All the players you want to compare him too based off of their production in the past and Nylander's past production does point to him not being worth 8 million. But what if you look forward? And this is what Nylander's camp is arguing. A long term contract for Nylander will stretch through almost or all of his prime years. (His 20's) I think he is pretty sure that if he does what Pastrnak did he'll be underpaid for his best years. Look at what's happening to all these teams that gave massive deals to guys in their late 20's who got term and massive contracts, they are declining assets who can't live up to their contracts. How long before GM's say, "No we aren't giving you a huge contract for all the things you accomplished in the past. We'll give you either short term or really low cap hit because we know you are going to be a declining asset." I think that'll happen very soon and if Nylander signs long term he wants to make sure he get's paid what he thinks he will be worth in the very near future and over the length of the contract. So he isn't being greedy, he's being smart and I don't blame him.

Toronto JUST did this with Tavares. You gave him 11 million a year through age 34.
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:47 p.m.
The NHL is filled with young talent:

Larkin
Tkachuk
Point
Ehlers
Boeser
Rantanen
MacKinnon
Aho
Marner
Monahan
Draisaitl
Barzal
Forsberg
Pastrnak
Eichel
Laine
Barkov
Matthews
McDavid
Landeskog
Kucherov
Gaudreau
Scheifele
Dubois

Nylander isnt that rare (but he is still valuable, like all young & talented players)
Tyson, McFaksaGOAT and TJTwolf liked this.
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:47 p.m.
Quoting: SammyT_51
Trade his contract to team that hits the floor and retire after reaching end of that contract, but I dont see Marleau wanting to retire anytime soon, has the skating and action in him still. usefull mentor and two way scorer.

For sure. He is still a useful player. Not what he once was but still a solid player.
SammyT_51 liked this.
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:48 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: Tyson
For sure. He is still a useful player. Not what he once was but still a solid player.

Yes, very useful and in all kinds of different situations.
Tyson liked this.
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:49 p.m.
Banned
Also you only care about points. Pietrangelo is 28 that's not old if that's old Tavares is old then. Pesce is defensively one of the best DEFENSEman in the league. No wonder why he is called a defenseman HE PLAYS DEFENSE. Forwards are for scoring.

Not sure if you've noticed this but everything is moving towards strong skating puck movers. Guys that can get the puck back and turn it up ice fast. Guys that can do that are the more valuable players. They create offense with their transitions, this is why LA is so terrible these days, they are still trying to play a heavy checking game and it just doesn't work when you are constantly chasing faster teams.

Look at the best defensive cores in the league, and they have puck movers. Nashville? Subban, Josi, Elkhom and Ellis are all terrific puck movers who can skate the puck up ice and out of danger extremely well.

I have never said defence isn't important, I just don't understand how anyone can think that a player like Pesce is worth anything close to Nylander. Their impacts on the game are not remotely close. Pesce would certainly help Rielly better than Hainsey but I bet you it wouldn't have nearly as much impact as adding another high end offensive player who is extremely good at carrying the puck and creating offense.

If Carolina managed to somehow trade Pesce for Nylander, it would be a huge win. Who wants to be a GM that gives another GM a huge win?
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:50 p.m.
Banned

that means little.
as a percentage of cap Tarasenko was over 10% of the blues cap. An equivalent today would put Nylander at 8.3 million.

Let me also add he was a 43 point player 2 years before he signed his deal. He did ok that year, in 64 games but really didn't look close to a PPG player.
Not that he has ever been.

My real issues is he's a 20 goal scorer. That is my only knock on Nylander. Don't come at me with assists. But he's probably worth 7 mil as a player
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:53 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Maybe you should have left Russ Courtnall out of argument in your opening statement. Courtnall got traded for John KordicConfused I see your point about Nylander though I don't rate him as highly as you do or think he should be paid 7m.
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:53 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: yanp007
Again and again... if he's so good, why don't you pay him ? Pietrangelo vs Nylander 1 for 1... It's a BIG joke!! Toronto must add something in this trade, a prospect grade A or a 1st pick...

Why? How long will Pietrangelo be a top defenceman? He's leaving his prime, and Nylander hasn't hit his. I agree that their value right now isn't even, but if you base a trade off just today, you aren't good at your job.

Essentially this is what you are doing.

Investment A is worth 6.5 million but will appreciate by 15% each year for the next 3 years and then remain that high for 4-5 years before it will start losing value.
Investment B is worth 8.5 million today and may keep its value for a year or two before dropping around 10% each year afterwords. On top of that, after the first 2 years of owning this investment, you have to pay it even more than it is making right now because it made a lot of value for the previous owner and it wants to be compensated for that.

If we are looking at this from anything more than a 2 year window, its a terribly short sighted move. I would not trade Nylander for anyone over the age of 25.
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:54 p.m.
The past 2 playoff rounds, you've lost against teams with better d men whom were able to slow down your offense, and transition thier defense to offense and win games. Leafs have a ton of offense and that is great. But you really need that shut down guy who can stop the opposing teams best players. then surrounding the shut down guys, you need legitimate top 4 dmen. guys who can easily play 19-22 mins a night and whom can defend well in thier own zone, or defend a 1 goal or 2 goal lead. the bruins stopped your top players last year in the playoffs. before that washington did the same thing. they contained your offense. offense only gets you far to a limit. now not only is the defense an issue, but also the cap space. we live in a cap space world. like you pointed out, Nylander is one of the five players in leafs history, then why aren't the leafs paying him? its simple. they dont have the money. and nylander has no incentive to take a home town discount because toronto isn't his home town. the only guy on ur roster who might take a 1mill home town discount is marner. even tavares got 11 mill. marner will get 9 mill. Matthews has 0 incentive to take a discount. these guys will get paid, whether its with the leafs or any other team
TJTwolf liked this.
Nov. 22, 2018 at 2:56 p.m.
Banned
This point gets destroyed when you give Tavares 77 million.

I am not the biggest fan of the signing but it it is what it is. And I think if you are going to give term like that to anyone Tavares isn't the worst guy to give that money too. He'll be 34 in the last year of that contract and looking at Crosby, I think its reasonable to expect that Tavares will be at least an above average 2nd line centre which isn't the worst thing in the world.
Well good job you just named 5 from 1 team..... so now add the other 30 teams to that list and it’s about 155 players....Nylander is good but he’s not that rare. The rare players are the generational super stars. Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, Matthews, Gretzky, And Lemieux. Sorry but Nylander doesn’t come close to that list. The fair asking price for Nylander is a top 4 d, a middle 6 wing and a 1st depending on the other players.
Tyson and TJTwolf liked this.
I ran a query on Hockey Reference for most points by age 22.

With 135 points, William Nylander ranks 192nd.

Before you say points aren't anything, you are the one who said he is worth a ton because he has 2 60 point seasons.
Ajp_18 and TJTwolf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll