Forums/Armchair-GM

Billy G Looking to Make a Deal

Created by: iAce
Team: 2024-25 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 26, 2024
Published: Apr. 30, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Lots of hitters from the post season wrap up this past week. I've tried to digest and read between the lines of Billy G and this roster.

My take aways are that Rossi and GusBus could be had. I don't think Billy G is going out of his way to make a splash but he referenced getting bigger and tougher. I've read a few pieces that says Yurov will be a center when he decides to sign with us after next season. This make Rossi expendable. We have Ek, Khusnutdinov, Hartman and Freddy all signed. If Rossi goes and you will be playing Yurov at center, it could be a good year to see what Khusnutdinov is and if he can handle 2c duties.

Billy G is happy with the back line when healthy. I don't see any moves here, although I would like to see a Spurgeon trade and what that looks like.

GusBus seemed down during his presser. Like someone told him he may be moved this off season. I agree with that decision. Not because he is bad or had a down year, but because we have a potential franchise guy starting to get his starts up here. The Wall of St Paul! I could see a draft pick being acquired for Gus. Idk how high but I do like a pick swap to move up. Because the Wild are acquiring assets in 2026, I kept the theme going as that is the first year out of cap hell.

I could see us trying to move Freddy to a Dean Eavson team if he lands a job. Freddy Eavson is beloved by Dean and we would gladly trade him for peanuts.

I don't think Billy G wants to take back a draft pick for Rossi. I've seen a few trades and fan bases interested in Rossi. If Toronto is interested, I would love to see a Knies coming back. Similar age, production and term left on the ELC. If Toronto is looking to get their 2c of the future, I would like to see a Knies coming back. I also read an article about Guenther being a targeted return for Rossi. This caught me completely off guard and didn't know this deserved an article. I would definitely like to get thoughts on that move. I like Guenther coming out of the draft but we were in the 20's and I knew he wouldn't fall that far.

Lastly, Billy G spoke about signings and pointed out getting bigger and mentioned a middle 6 guy. My thoughts went to Bertuzzi/Tarasenko/Stephenson type of guy. Depending on the moves we make will determine the guy we target. I could see it being a 2-3 year deal.
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Rossi, Marco
1$950,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Rossi, Marco
Additional Details:
At this point I think the Leafs have to add to this trade a bit. Toronto also has some talented wingers that can fill what Knies brings. With Heidt and Yurov I think the Wild see these guys are the future over Rossi. Yurov may be the future 1c of this team long term. Billy speaks about getting bigger and harder to play against. This type of move will do just that.
MIN
  1. 2026 1st round pick (NJD)
NJD
  1. Gustavsson, Filip
  2. 2026 3rd round pick (COL)
Additional Details:
Not sure on the return here. The Wild have targeted the 2026 draft as the draft they want assets in. It will be the first full season out of cap hell. I did a little pick swap with NJ. NJ gets their guy.
MIN
  1. Brännström, Erik [RFA Rights]
  2. 2024 4th round pick (DET)
OTT
  1. Gaudreau, Frédérick
Additional Details:
Saw this trade earlier. Moving on from Freddy. Could be traded here if Dean lands here. Solid middle 6 center. Had a down year.
MIN
  1. 2026 7th round pick (WSH)
WSH
  1. Merrill, Jon
Additional Details:
Trading some defensive depth. Could go anywhere. He was way better in the second half of the season.
ARI
  1. Rossi, Marco
Additional Details:
I read an article about how Guenther could be a fit. I was not expecting this to be an option. This was a Minnesota article so I'm not going to take this to the bank. I will say if he is available for a Rossi type return, I would be interested in diving into this deal. I liked Guenther a lot out of the draft, but ultimately he didn't fall to us. I'd love to get feedback on how realistic this type of trade would be. Who's adding and how much do they need to add?
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$83,500,000$78,449,422$425,000$2,850,000$5,050,578
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 6
$4,125,000$4,125,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
C, LW, RW
RFA - 3
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$886,667$886,667 (Performance Bonus$475,000$475K)
LW
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
RFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$250,000$250K)
RD
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
G
RFA - 1
$2,450,000$2,450,000
LD
UFA - 1
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 30 at 11:41 p.m.
Gus is not worth a 1st. Devils pass on that. Swapping 1sts this year I get, but that's closer value to a mid 2nd rounder
Apr. 30 at 11:55 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Imo, Yurov would likely be more successful as a winger than a center, but if Rossi's on the block I think the Capitals have to be interested. 1st round pick and every prospect not named Leonard (or maybe Cristall? tough sell but I would lean towards available) would be on the table from Washington.
May 1 at 2:25 a.m.
I think you do a this draft 1st swap with NDJ for Gus. By the time that 2026 1st happens Gus will be 2 weeks away from UFA status. Gus' consensus value is around a mid 2nd.

I don't see TOR being interested at all in that. Rossi would be a winger next year for TOR, so why would they bother trading 1 wing for another?

AZ has no reason to make this trade. It looks like a pipedream scenario from a MN fan. Cooley. McBain, and Hayton are all similar age so AZ will just a a vet (like Bjugstad) to fill out their center spots. Rossi for Hayton (injured and hasn't really broken out) would be a better proposition to me.

After his season Freddy G's term should be a big red flag for every team. If you could make that trade happen, just non-QO Brannstrom (he doesn't fit anywhere) and it's a win.

I don't think GMBG has any intention of trading Merrill. He's just an expensive Prosser (pressbox d-man) Keep him for emergencies and call up a prospect d-man (and play him) if someone is going to be out for awhile. I wouldn't say any of the kids are too good for or have nothing left to learn in the AHL. Worst case is Merrill is terrible next year and he gets waived and only carries a $50k cap hit.

Really, Rossi and Gus are the only 2 players I see GMBG looking to trade that other teams could want. I think he'll listen on a couple other players that might garner some interest (Middleton, Chisholm), but would have to be blown away to pull the trigger. MN has so many NTCs (full and modified) that most of the roster is basically untradeable.
May 1 at 5:27 a.m.
Minnesota Wild
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
Imo, Yurov would likely be more successful as a winger than a center, but if Rossi's on the block I think the Capitals have to be interested. 1st round pick and every prospect not named Leonard (or maybe Cristall? tough sell but I would lean towards available) would be on the table from Washington.

Yurov may be more likely to find success as a wing (probably true for most centers), but he also broke the U20 KHL scoring record playing as a 2C on the team that won the Gagarin Cup. As long as he continues to improve on the dot, he seems to have the tools to be able to stick up the middle long term.

As for Rossi being on the block, it appears to be a function of his size. I've seen some question how close this season's performance may be to Rossi's ceiling. Our lack of size as a whole was a problem this year so if Guerin can find someone of a similar skill with some more size, he's likely interested. We don't know how hard he's trying to sell Rossi either. They may just be floating his name out there to gauge interest, and if they do think this may be close to his ceiling, it may be an attempt to sell high while he still has another year at $863k before becoming an RFA.
May 1 at 9:58 a.m.
Au-revoir Dorion
pretty solid deal for the sens here imo

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll