Published: Apr. 29, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Crosby trade in this scenario would yield:
1 1st
2 2nds
2 3rds
1 4th
Oliver Kapanen to partner with Ville Koivunen for the long haul.
Jordan Harris is an excellent young D who’s been developing well.
Ylonen gets the ice time needed to show where he projects long term.
Dvorak and Armia to start the year and provide depth to help the youth along before being moved out at the deadline. So the team doesn’t start the year as a total dumpster fire.

And Dubas and Pens ownership can do the same with Malkin in next year’s offseason.

Looking at the Pens draft picks on that visual following this move, this isn’t a bad idea.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$885,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$813,750
Trades
PIT
  1. 2024 1st round pick (WPG)
  2. 2025 2nd round pick (PIT)
  3. 2025 3rd round pick (VAN)
  4. 2025 4th round pick (DET)
MTL
MTL
PIT
  1. Ylönen, Jesse [RFA Rights]
MTL
PIT
  1. 2025 3rd round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
Probably return for rental at half salary at 2025 TDL from whichever team.
MTL
  1. Armia, Joel ($1,700,000 retained)
PIT
  1. 2025 2nd round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
Probable return for rental at half salary at 2025 TDL from whichever team
MTL
  1. Dvorak, Christian ($2,225,000 retained)
PIT
  1. 2026 1st round pick (TBL)
  2. 2026 2nd round pick (TBL)
  3. 2026 3rd round pick (TBL)
  4. 2026 4th round pick (TBL)
TBL
    The draft pick hail moving Malkin at half salary to a team like Tampa in the 2025 offseason. Plus multiple interesting prospects.
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$87,700,000$74,678,925$0$102,500$13,021,075
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $6,100,000$6,100,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $5,125,000$5,125,000
    RW, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $2,450,000$2,450,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $925,000$925,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $885,000$885,000
    C
    RFA
    $805,833$805,833 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    RW
    RFA - 2
    $813,750$813,750
    RW, LW
    RFA
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $800,000$800,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
    C
    RFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,025,175$4,025,175
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $5,375,000$5,375,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $6,100,000$6,100,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $1,400,000$1,400,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    LD
    RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 29 at 12:40 p.m.
    I like how Montreal gets Crosby and doesn't give up one good piece at all.
    Apr. 29 at 1:00 p.m.
    Quoting: Lancebmx

I agree with you on the player side, montreal doesnt even give up a good prospect. But saying that the draft picks aren't good pieces is taking it a little bit too far. No they might not be a top 10 pick or 4 1st but they can end up being somthing for the team if they draft the right player. Even if mtl gives up Mailloux and Roy, they can end up being AHLers in a couple of years if they dont progress or translate their game in the NHL. That said, I'm sure Pittsburgh refuse that trade any day!
    Apr. 29 at 1:03 p.m.
    Quoting: Antorche
    I agree with you on the player side, montreal doesnt even give up a good prospect. But saying that the draft picks aren't good pieces is taking it a little bit too far. No they might not be a top 10 pick or 4 1st but they can end up being somthing for the team if they draft the right player. Even if mtl gives up Mailloux and Roy, they can end up being AHLers in a couple of years if they dont progress or translate their game in the NHL. That said, I'm sure Pittsburgh refuse that trade any day!

That Winnipeg 1st isn't that great. This draft isn't that strong. If Penguins were to trade Crosby, there would have to be at least one high potential prospect in there or one high pick.
    Apr. 29 at 1:08 p.m.
    That Winnipeg 1st isn't that great. This draft isn't that strong. If Penguins were to trade Crosby, there would have to be at least one high potential prospect in there or one high pick.

I completly understand and has I said, Pittsburgh will never acept that but drafts pick even 7th rounders can become something nowadays if they have a good development. Pittsburgh can choose quantity over quality because they know when the golden days are gone they might end up being the SJS of this year and play anyone anywhere to let them play and get some experience.
    Wreckless liked this.
    Apr. 29 at 1:13 p.m.
    Quoting: Antorche
    I completly understand and has I said, Pittsburgh will never acept that but drafts pick even 7th rounders can become something nowadays if they have a good development. Pittsburgh can choose quantity over quality because they know when the golden days are gone they might end up being the SJS of this year and play anyone anywhere to let them play and get some experience.

The likelihood of that pick becoming a player is very very small. I remember seeing a chart based on history and after the first 15 picks or do the percentages drop drastically. That's why I think they take quality over quantity. If they move down that road, they will likely have a bunch of bad years to get the quantity.
    Apr. 29 at 4:59 p.m.
    Wreckless
    Edited Apr. 29 at 5:04 p.m.

Kapanen, Harris, and Ylonen would all fight you on your assertion they’re no good.
    Koivunen was also a really good piece from the Guentzel deal btw.
    Winnipeg pick is probably #26oa. Multiple solid second round picks even in recent draft years.
    6 picks total can also be traded for young assets, if Dubas doesn’t trust his amateur scouts.

The « quality » you seek will come from Pittsburgh’s own draft picks.
    In a rebuild like Pittsburgh will be going though, you need both. Quality and quantity.
    You will have roster spots available to give young talent the opportunity to play.

Plus, keep in mind, this would have nothing to do with what Dubas or Hughes would want.
    This would be Sidney Crosby’s decision 100%.
    Cuz he can walk in a year, and the Pens get zero.
    All things considered, that’s still a decent haul.
    Apr. 29 at 6:48 p.m.
    Quoting: Wreckless
    Kapanen, Harris, and Ylonen would all fight you on your assertion they’re no good.
    Koivunen was also a really good piece from the Guentzel deal btw.
    Winnipeg pick is probably #26oa. Multiple solid second round picks even in recent draft years.
    6 picks total can also be traded for young assets, if Dubas doesn’t trust his amateur scouts.

The « quality » you seek will come from Pittsburgh’s own draft picks.
    In a rebuild like Pittsburgh will be going though, you need both. Quality and quantity.
    You will have roster spots available to give young talent the opportunity to play.

Plus, keep in mind, this would have nothing to do with what Dubas or Hughes would want.
    This would be Sidney Crosby’s decision 100%.
    Cuz he can walk in a year, and the Pens get zero.
    All things considered, that’s still a decent haul.

Kapanen maybe becomes a NHL player and if he does, likely bottom 6 roll.
    Ylonen is already what he is. Bottom 6 player who had a very really chance of not getting a qualifying offer.
    Harris is decent. Third pairing left handed defenseman. That thing that almost every team has half a dozen of. He might be able to be second pair on a good team.
    Don't know what Koivenen has to do with anything? I never brought him up. He's a good player, basically PPG in the SHL.
    They will get enough quantity from their own draft picks when they do rebuild. Like every team, they will pick players in hopes they can be contributors and most will turn into depth or not NHL players.
    They have enough young talent or other players to fill the roster.
    For sure he can walk, as any pending UFA. If Crosby decides to go anywhere, it's likely to a cup contender. I saw somewhere that when asked, he mentioned Colorado, Vancouver and Toronto as possible destinations.
    That's not really a decent haul, that's a pile of scraps with one late first attached.
    Apr. 30 at 11:58 a.m.
    Wreckless
    Kapanen maybe becomes a NHL player and if he does, likely bottom 6 roll.
    Ylonen is already what he is. Bottom 6 player who had a very really chance of not getting a qualifying offer.
    Harris is decent. Third pairing left handed defenseman. That thing that almost every team has half a dozen of. He might be able to be second pair on a good team. Don't know what Koivenen has to do with anything? I never brought him up. He's a good player, basically PPG in the SHL.
    They will get enough quantity from their own draft picks when they do rebuild. Like every team, they will pick players in hopes they can be contributors and most will turn into depth or not NHL players.
    They have enough young talent or other players to fill the roster.
    For sure he can walk, as any pending UFA. If Crosby decides to go anywhere, it's likely to a cup contender. I saw somewhere that when asked, he mentioned Colorado, Vancouver and Toronto as possible destinations.
    That's not really a decent haul, that's a pile of scraps with one late first attached.

Crosby never mentioned a destination, but feel free to cite where that came from. Only team he had ever alluded to in the past (ages ago) was his childhood team, aka the Habs. Pajama boy John Tavares proved that can be a thing sometimes…

Koivunen and Kapenen have similar profiles, and Koivunen was the key piece in the Guentzel trade.
    Koivunen plays in the Finnish elite league btw, not Sweden.
    And Kapanen just let that league in playoff goal scoring and points scoring. So there’s that…

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll