SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Rant: What's the obsession with guys like Mario Ferraro, Pat Maroon, and Adam Larsson?

Feb. 22 at 2:07 a.m.
GO LEAFS GO
Edited Feb. 22 at 2:20 a.m.
I always see them being popular trade targets for Toronto, but why? The game has evolved, and we no longer need players who just hit and fight. We need players who hit, fight, but also play hockey. Mario Ferraro; I don't seem to understand because he is a struggling defenseman and putting him in our top 4 is a risk. The common excuse I get is that SJS is a poop team, but the funny thing is - the analytics show Ferraro is apart of the reason SJ is struggling because he himself isn't having good defensive impacts.

Adam Larsson? I'm starting to develop a theory where teams can just put out bottom pairing DFD on the top minutes and advertise to the league like "He plays a lot of minutes. He's a Top-4 defenseman!" and the crazy thing is - teams and fans will eat that up. Example? Ben Chiarot, who was traded to FLA for a freakin' 1st rounder and contributed almost nothing to their playoff run. I get having a physical DFD is a need for the Leafs but why can't we target physical defenders who actually translate that physicality to good defense?

Lastly, Pat Maroon and Zack Bogosian. Don't even get me started; Pat Maroon is Ryan Reaves 2.0. Zack Bogosian is a defenseman who contributes more offensively than defensively but people believe he's some gritty shutdown defenseman because he has a huge beard or something: I don't get his reputation at all, we literally watched him play during COVID.

Overrated DFD: Adam Larsson, Andrew Peeke, Mario Ferraro, Ben Chiarot, etc.
Physical DFD with actual good defensive impacts: Oleksiak, Soucy, Carlo, Zadorov, etc.

EDIT: Also forgot to include Scott Laughton. He was alright last year, this year he is horrific. I get it could be Torts' system but are we seriously considering giving up high draft picks for a bottom-sixer? I don't get the obsession with Laughton either. If you want depth players who provide grit why don't you go for guys who are good at contributing as well? O'Brien, Greenway, Okposo, Hathaway, Aube-Kubel, Dowd? Big emphasis on Hathaway and Dowd, who both have elite defensive impacts.
Feb. 23 at 10:55 a.m.
To start...I think this site and the fans it attracts are those who are looking to be fantasy GMs and try and improve their teams.

For the Leafs...we are in win now mode...so clearly looking to add talent vs sell for futures.

When looking for realistic trade partners...it's natural to look at teams outside the playoff picture who might be looking to move pieces who are 1-2yrs away from free agency that might not be a part of their future.

Add to that, most leaf fans feel like it's our D and toughness that have been shortcomings in past playoff appearances.

So that's why those specific names are popping up..simply because they meet the criteria of the above.

Does that make them additions that will improve the team or be worth the cost to acquire? No. But to me it's a simple explanation as to why you're seeing those names.

For me, I tend to agree on Ferraro. I think he could be a good add but, with limited assets and cap space to use, he's not the guy I'd take a risk on unless he comes quite cheap

Larsson I will tend to disagree with you on. Again, depends on the cost to acquire him, but Rielly has always seemed to take his game to a higher level when he has a simple, defensive D paired with him. Larsson would bring that steady presence and has been a top 2-4 d-man pretty much his entire career....and again, he meets the criteria noted above

Pat Maroon and Bogosian? I mean, if you're picking them up for 5-6th round picks with the idea that they'll sit in the pressbox and be insurance against injury...sure...maybe...if you'd rather have vets like that available to fill in instead of using the youth that we have been so far....but neither are guys I would think makes this team better or should take playing time away from anyone already on the roster.

Everything is subjective until we can see it in practice.
kash liked this.
Feb. 23 at 11:59 a.m.
GO LEAFS GO
Quoting: Juice
To start...I think this site and the fans it attracts are those who are looking to be fantasy GMs and try and improve their teams.

For the Leafs...we are in win now mode...so clearly looking to add talent vs sell for futures.

When looking for realistic trade partners...it's natural to look at teams outside the playoff picture who might be looking to move pieces who are 1-2yrs away from free agency that might not be a part of their future.

Add to that, most leaf fans feel like it's our D and toughness that have been shortcomings in past playoff appearances.

So that's why those specific names are popping up..simply because they meet the criteria of the above.

Does that make them additions that will improve the team or be worth the cost to acquire? No. But to me it's a simple explanation as to why you're seeing those names.

For me, I tend to agree on Ferraro. I think he could be a good add but, with limited assets and cap space to use, he's not the guy I'd take a risk on unless he comes quite cheap

Larsson I will tend to disagree with you on. Again, depends on the cost to acquire him, but Rielly has always seemed to take his game to a higher level when he has a simple, defensive D paired with him. Larsson would bring that steady presence and has been a top 2-4 d-man pretty much his entire career....and again, he meets the criteria noted above

Pat Maroon and Bogosian? I mean, if you're picking them up for 5-6th round picks with the idea that they'll sit in the pressbox and be insurance against injury...sure...maybe...if you'd rather have vets like that available to fill in instead of using the youth that we have been so far....but neither are guys I would think makes this team better or should take playing time away from anyone already on the roster.

Everything is subjective until we can see it in practice.

I totally get what you’re saying. Adam Larsson has indeed been a top-4 DFD for the most part of his career but in recent years (I’m talking the last 3 years) he’s been on a steep decline: What does that mean? The physicality has not gone away, but his defensive impact and ability to limit the opponents’ chances has gone down. I’m all for getting that big tough DFD on Rielly’s side, my point is we should be seeking those ones with actual good defense and not just anyone above 6’3, 210lbs.

Better Trade Targets: Carrier, Tanev, Walker, Zub, Jensen, van Riemsdyk

I’m not claiming all these targets are available and that their respective teams are willing to give these guys up, but this should be the standard for that top-4 RD slot.
Apr. 21 at 2:00 p.m.
CFHomersR2Kool4Me
Pat Maroon has won 3 Stanley Cups.

If you don't want him on your team, I'll take him on my team.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll