SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 4 - Mid Season Slump

Feb. 5 at 9:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Holmberg should also stay with Matthews and Marner as at least he does good things with them
palhal liked this.
Feb. 5 at 9:51 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: LeafsForLife
This says based only on 2020-21 data. I don’t know if you noticed, but that was 3 years ago. That was the weird lockdown year. I don’t know if Barzal has ever got Selke votes, but Marner has (if memory serves)

My bad...

Marner's success on both ends is due to Matthews... Let's be real, Draisaitl got Selke votes too before you comment any further on that...
Feb. 5 at 9:52 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Leafsfan98
My bad...

Marner's success on both ends is due to Matthews... Let's be real, Draisaitl got Selke votes too before you comment any further on that...

Yeah because that's definitely how that works... I guess Marner's success on the PK is also due to Matthews?
aadoyle and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 5 at 9:54 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: LeafsForLife
It’s already established that if NYI can’t trust Barzal to play centre (in a more defensively-focused system no less), there’s no way the Leafs can. If you look at Marner’s and Barzal’s page:
Barzal is only 1.5 million in cap savings, but has an additional 6 years after Marner’s contract ends
Barzal has a list of only 9 teams you can trade him to, Marner has a NMC next season and that’s it.
Both have been full time NHLers since 17-18 (Marner since 16-17), and of those seasons, Barzal has been less durable and only has 2/3 of the points Marner does.
The stats speak for themselves, trading Marner for Barzal would not be a good idea.

The only reason why NYI isn't playing Barzal at C is bc of Horvat...

And put Marner in Barzal's situation and he becomes Huberdeau 2.0 and Barzal becomes the 100 point player he can be with Matthews...

And it's easier to get hurt when other teams know you're the only guy they need to defend... Compared to having guys like JT, Matthews, Nylander and Rielly to cover
Feb. 5 at 9:54 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Yeah because that's definitely how that works... I guess Marner's success on the PK is also due to Matthews?

Or being a top 3 Selke candidate when Matthews dont PK
Feb. 5 at 9:55 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

Even strength, it 100% does...

PK, Marner's been decent but the leafs PK isn't a very good one this year...
Feb. 5 at 9:59 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 5 at 10:22 p.m.
TDL idea

ANA/TOR/CAR

Toronto

In: Vatrano + Lybushkin (50% ret)

Out: Bertuzzi + Timmins + 1st

Anaheim

In: Bertuzzi + Timmins + Lemieux + 1st + 2nd + 3rd

Out: Bertuzzi (50% ret)

Carolina

In: Bertuzzi (50% ret)

Out: Lemieux + 2nd + 3rd

Toronto gets someone to play with Rielly and a nice top 9 guy for 1.5 seasons who can score and be more useful
Feb. 5 at 9:59 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Even strength, it 100% does...

PK, Marner's been decent but the leafs PK isn't a very good one this year...

Well Knies' defensive numbers aren't great this season and he's been glued to Matthews, so...
aadoyle liked this.
Feb. 5 at 10:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 5 at 10:18 p.m.
Well Knies' defensive numbers aren't great this season and he's been glued to Matthews, so...

Some people think that playing with Matthews automatically = great numbers or its gonna work no problem

That not how that works

Bertuzzi and Ritchie be examples of that. Heck even Knies has been meh at times

Cant all be Hyman and Bunting

Marners been good for the PK issue is its construction and whose on it besides him

Kampf good at faceoffs but after its 40 year old Gio and a struggling Brodie in the back

Says enough
Feb. 5 at 10:05 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Edited Feb. 5 at 10:13 p.m.

Knies CF% with Matthews: 54%
Knies CF% without Matthews: 42%
Marner CF% with Matthews: 53%
Marner CF% without Matthews: 49%

(Natural stat trick at 5v5)

Let's just say Matthews elevates his teammates play

Or how about Marner's GF%?

Marner GF% with Matthews: 60.87%
Marner GF% without Matthews: 42.86%

Or maybe his SF%

Marner SF% with Matthews: 55.11%
Marner SF% without Matthews: 43.29%

I saw someone say Bertuzzi wasn't good with Matthews:
GF% with: 50%
SF% with: 61%
CF% with: 53%
FF% with: 55%

Pretty good
Feb. 5 at 10:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Anyways pls Keefe whoever call up Steeves tommorow

Bottom 6 =

Robertson-Domi-Steeves
McMann-Holmberg-Gregor
Feb. 5 at 11:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Crazy stat forgot to mention and is concerning

Leafs are 2-6 at home last 8 games

GF: 21
GA: 25

Thats not good especially when u look at a total record of 11-10-2 at home this season

Like wtf happened where at home they just stink
Feb. 5 at 11:15 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
I’m not sure there is an argument someone could make for me not to believe this roster:

Knies - Matthews - Nylander
Robertson - Tavares - Marner
McMann - Holmberg - Järnkrok
Gregor - Kämpf - Steeves

Reilly - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe
Gio - Timmins

As having the same impact as this current group. With how high prices are going right now for UFA’s, how can you not sell?
Feb. 5 at 11:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 5 at 11:29 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I’m not sure there is an argument someone could make for me not to believe this roster:

Gregor - Kämpf - Steeves

Reilly - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe
Gio - Timmins

As having the same impact as this current group. With how high prices are going right now for UFA’s, how can you not sell?

Nah that would be worse especially the Dcore. If our goal was to get Celibrini that would be the roster for that only Matthews would probs ruin that lul

Honestly would not surprise me if Keefe be a factor as to why Bertuzzi and Domi aint be doing well as we have seen it before with other guys

I got a feeling if Leafs traded Bertuzzi we would see the guy who was in Boston/Detroit being a menace scoring, and being a pain. Guess he is another victim in the Toronto trap
Feb. 5 at 11:30 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
Nah that would be worse especially the Dcore

Honestly would not surprise me if Keefe be a factor as to why Bertuzzi and Domi aint be doing well as we have seen it before

I got a feeling if Leafs traded Bertuzzi we would see the guy who was in Boston being a menace scoring, and being a pain. Guess he is another victim in the Toronto trap

If our goal was to get Celibrini that would be the roster for that only Matthews would probs ruin that lul

There are exactly zero defensemen you could add right now that would significantly improve our defense group. Take a page out of St. Louis' book and sell at the TDL. Selling does not equal tanking. We are simply cutting our losses and recouping some assets that can be used to trade for a player in the offseason or to add a good defensive prospect. This years draft is so perfect for addressing the Leafs needs.

I already know we aren't going to sell (look at what Tre did with Calgary last year), but we 10000% should.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Feb. 5 at 11:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 6 at 2:15 a.m.
There are exactly zero defensemen you could add right now that would significantly improve our defense group. Take a page out of St. Louis' book and sell at the TDL. Selling does not equal tanking. We are simply cutting our losses and recouping some assets that can be used to trade for a player in the offseason or to add a good defensive prospect. This years draft is so perfect for addressing the Leafs needs.

I already know we aren't going to sell (look at what Tre did with Calgary last year), but we 10000% should.

In general TOR is lacking a Dman that can push Brodie down the lineup into a lesser role. U add one of those your good. Adding someone to play with Rielly will cause a shift and allow Keefe to have more options to work with. Brodie is not working with Rielly but who knows maybe having him on the second or third pair will help things

Rielly-New guy
McCabe-Brodie (Risky but they both did well vs. TBL)
Benoit-Liligren

Pitt saw it with Dumo who often was a reliable top Dman. Lowered him down and it helped

TOR should not be looking to recoup anything were not rebuilding/retooling etc we got Matthews, Marner and Willy in their primes. Unless they lose to another Zamboni driver doubt this team stands pat nor should they. Not a good message to send to your team oh yea u know were gonna try again next year sorry Matthews we know u scored 65-70 goals and Nylander 100 points better luck next year.

Go get a Dman with term who can slot into the Dcore like what we saw Van and OTT do last year. They had their issues but went and made starting early moves to solve

Look at how well Hronek has been for Van. They were out of the playoffs didnt care traded for him and rest is history. Made a trade then in FA added others around them

OTT be apparently shopping Chycrun there's a nice option at 25 years old. Can help the PP and is a nice #3 option. Maybe they gamble on Ferraro or Fabbro. Can also go unconventional and target someone nobody is expecting or do a sign and trade

Rielly-McCabe
Hanifin-Brodie
Benoit-Liligren

Heck some say try Benoit with Rielly for a bit to experiment as Rielly always does well with Dman like that. Make a move and experiment
Feb. 6 at 7:18 a.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Quoting: MatthewsFan

Gregor - Kämpf - Steeves

Reilly - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe
Gio - Timmins

That might be a better idea than I thought. Honestly, I had to read that a second time to figure out who was missing. There would be several challenges though:
- Matthews and Nylander start their raises next year
- Those 2 are having career years (Rielly is doing well too)
- Next year will be the last year of ELCs for Knies and Woll
- The optics of it all and Toronto media would be a nightmare.
You bring up a good point, but if you were Shanny, Tree, or Keefe, how would you address those issues?
Feb. 6 at 7:19 a.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Edited Feb. 6 at 7:26 a.m.. Reason: Technical difficulties
I tried to edit my post above, it made another post instead, could find out how to delete this one
Feb. 6 at 9:19 a.m.
Cowan Season
I’m benoits #1 fan, he’s so great
Feb. 6 at 1:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: CameronSquires
I’m benoits #1 fan, he’s so great

Benoit has been a nice surprise and to me even if u go get a Dman hes playing over Gio in my eyes

Rielly-new guy
McCabe-Brodie
Benoit-Liligren
Feb. 6 at 1:34 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 6 at 2:58 p.m.
Actually now that I think about it keep Bertuzzi as man I do not want him on another team as if he wakes the **** up even if the Leafs moved him out to make room for a Dman and some cheap forward were looking at another bruh moment

Cause to me if we move Domi and Bertuzzi I just get some weird feeling they gonna light it up with their new team and we gonna be going WTF WHY NOT HERE lul
Feb. 6 at 1:40 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Actually now that I think about it keep Bertuzzi as man I do not want him on another team as if he wakes the **** up even if the Leafs moved him out to make room for a Dman and some cheap forward for something were looking at another bruh moment

Cause to me if we move Domi and Bertuzzi I just get some weird feeling they gonna light it up with their new team and we gonna be going WTF WHY NOT HERE lul

Im not opposed to keeping Bertuzzi, but at the same time only retaining him so he doesn't go to another team is a terrible idea. He hasn't fit into the Leafs system at all and only keeping him so other teams can't have him would be a disaster.

Im honestly not surprised Bert hasn't been amazing for the Leafs, he is a notoriously on-and-off player (look at his career stats). The upside was definitely there and the optimist in me loved the signing, but it's clear now that there just isn't a great fit for him in Keefe's system.
Feb. 6 at 2:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 6 at 2:57 p.m.
Im not opposed to keeping Bertuzzi, but at the same time only retaining him so he doesn't go to another team is a terrible idea. He hasn't fit into the Leafs system at all and only keeping him so other teams can't have him would be a disaster.

Im honestly not surprised Bert hasn't been amazing for the Leafs, he is a notoriously on-and-off player (look at his career stats). The upside was definitely there and the optimist in me loved the signing, but it's clear now that there just isn't a great fit for him in Keefe's system.

Im not in the mood for another player to be traded then thrive somewhere else. Its just another bruh moment we dont need

Ask Barabanov, Kubel, Lafferty, Joshua, etc

As to me rn Keefe's the main issue with these guys along with some bad hockey luck. Should have fired him the moment Berube became available as what we even doing with this guy

The benefits to firing a coach are being seen league wide besides OTT. As who knows new guy comes in with their system could = Bertuzzi and Domi get going and thats 2 holes plugged right away leaving one left for the TDL
Feb. 6 at 5:25 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Im not in the mood for another player to be traded then thrive somewhere else. Its just another bruh moment we dont need

Ask Barabanov, Kubel, Lafferty, Joshua, etc

As to me rn Keefe's the main issue with these guys along with some bad hockey luck. Should have fired him the moment Berube became available as what we even doing with this guy

The benefits to firing a coach are being seen league wide besides OTT. As who knows new guy comes in with their system could = Bertuzzi and Domi get going and thats 2 holes plugged right away leaving one left for the TDL

Joshua literally played zero games here, got traded to STL for future considerations, didn't play there either, and is now a bottom 6er on his third team. Lafferty didn't work in Keefe's system. NAK was one of the worst Leafs I've ever seen (he did literally nothing), Barabanov got shafted by Keefe.

I can agree that the Leafs give up on some guys too soon (Barabanov and Lafferty), but keeping guys who clearly don't work in the system an awful idea. Love or hate Keefe, you need players who can play his style of game.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 6 at 10:18 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Joshua literally played zero games here, got traded to STL for future considerations, didn't play there either, and is now a bottom 6er on his third team. Lafferty didn't work in Keefe's system. NAK was one of the worst Leafs I've ever seen (he did literally nothing), Barabanov got shafted by Keefe.

I can agree that the Leafs give up on some guys too soon (Barabanov and Lafferty), but keeping guys who clearly don't work in the system an awful idea. Love or hate Keefe, you need players who can play his style of game.

Pretty much everything I've said in the past about trading Robbie is directly applicable to Barabanov - since I modeled it on him.

He isnt actually all that good, he just gets a stupid amount of opportunity thanks to a dog**** team

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll