SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

41 games for gambling NHL is a joke

Oct. 26, 2023 at 2:39 p.m.
GM
- isn't gambling also a mental health issue like substance abuse etc?
- how come you can end someone's career with health hunting hits and get 4 games (or no games) and that can destroy the life even after hockey, but gambling gives you half a season? How can they even logically explain that?
- clown world. 🤡
AK50 liked this.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 2:42 p.m.
Pinto being a sens player aside, I too think it’s quite a joke, especially if it wasn’t NHL games he was betting on. NHL shoves betting down everyone’s throats then suspends a guy for half a season for betting on other sports? Seems kind of dumb. If it was NHL games he was betting on I’d say sure throw the book at him.
Gmonwy, SadSensFan14 and AK50 liked this.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 2:45 p.m.
Tank it baby
Gotta love hypocrisy, yes? Gambling ads plastered all over the place. NHL profits from them. Hey, you bet on MLB you SOB! You're suspended!
AG_sweden, Mike7856, gmgb and 4 others liked this.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 2:47 p.m.
GM
Quoting: Mike7856
Pinto being a sens player aside, I too think it’s quite a joke, especially if it wasn’t NHL games he was betting on. NHL shoves betting down everyone’s throats then suspends a guy for half a season for betting on other sports? Seems kind of dumb. If it was NHL games he was betting on I’d say sure throw the book at him.

I understand they want to make sure the sport is "clean" no fixed games etc. But I still think it is worse for someone to battle headaches for the rest of their life because of garbage players. That means NHL is only thinking of the brand and not the players.
Mike7856 liked this.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 2:48 p.m.
Illegal hits are often a regrettable split-second decision that players often immediately regret.

Gambling by a player is a willful, premeditated, and deceitful act that means to undermine the integrity of the sport.

The last instance of NHL gambling resulted in lifetime bans for the offenders. He's lucky he got off with only 41 games.

From the initial reports I read, it doesn't sound like actually gambled himself, but that there were "irregularities surrounding his activities." I suspect he provided insider information to someone in order to help influence their bet, or something similar. NHL players are allowed to gamble on non-NHL games.
DH28Hockey, Herb_Brooks, RazWild and 2 others liked this.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 2:48 p.m.
Without knowing the specifics, it makes sense that the league would bring the hammer down real hard on that *assuming it was NHL betting*. In theory players gambling on their own league can be seen as potentially catastrophically damaging the integrity of the multi-billion dollar product that the league is selling.

If he was betting on another league or sport, then yeah that's beyond dumb and he shouldn't be receiving any punishment whatsoever
Oct. 26, 2023 at 2:50 p.m.
GM
Quoting: SharkTank
Gotta love hypocrisy, yes? Gambling ads plastered all over the place. NHL profits from them. Hey, you bet on MLB you SOB! You're suspended!

Yes, I mean I understand what they are doing. Protecting the brand name. But players have career ending injury and sometimes death, they do nothing. That is the worst hypocrisy I think.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 2:50 p.m.
Banned
Definitely a touch excessive I think 7 days woulda been sufficient
AG_sweden liked this.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 2:52 p.m.
theres rules, dont break them, its that simple. sens are just an embarrassing franchise
GMDannyB liked this.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 2:52 p.m.
Tank it baby
What's next for the NHL? Connor Bedard suspended for 1 season for signing his own rookie card?
AG_sweden liked this.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 2:53 p.m.
Quoting: AG_sweden
I understand they want to make sure the sport is "clean" no fixed games etc. But I still think it is worse for someone to battle headaches for the rest of their life because of garbage players. That means NHL is only thinking of the brand and not the players.

The problem with handing out major suspensions for illegal hits is you run into the issue where you'd basically be forcing guys out of work for significant amounts of time based on situations that are very difficult to prove as intentional (even though even as fans we can often tell that the hits are deliberate attempts to harm). It's why the only real huge suspensions you see for dirty hits are either the multiple time repeat offenders or the truly horrid hits
AG_sweden liked this.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 2:53 p.m.
GM
Quoting: tkecanuck341
Illegal hits are often a regrettable split-second decision that players often immediately regret.

Gambling by a player is a willful, premeditated, and deceitful act that means to undermine the integrity of the sport.

The last instance of NHL gambling resulted in lifetime bans for the offenders. He's lucky he got off with only 41 games.

From the initial reports I read, it doesn't sound like actually gambled himself, but that there were "irregularities surrounding his activities." I suspect he provided insider information to someone in order to help influence their bet, or something similar. NHL players are allowed to gamble on non-NHL games.

Yeah but isn't gambling also a mental health disorder like substance abuse? How come there is support for one but not the other?
I don't think it justify anything more than a league that desperately cares for their brand name. F the players. F them hard. I'm glad I don't play in the NHL.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 2:54 p.m.
Tank it baby
Quoting: Herb_Brooks
theres rules, dont break them, its that simple. sens are just an embarrassing franchise

You're an embarrassing poster. But you don't get suspended.
AG_sweden liked this.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 2:55 p.m.
GM
What's next for the NHL? Connor Bedard suspended for 1 season for signing his own rookie card?

Suspend him they would never do because of the revenue the name holds. That is the worst part. Crosby or McDavid would never ever be investigated. Smells like bs, sounds like bs, feels like bs...
Oct. 26, 2023 at 2:55 p.m.

thats not against the rules so that isnt a good comparison
Oct. 26, 2023 at 2:56 p.m.
You're an embarrassing poster. But you don't get suspended.

cry about it ? you should report me, like a rules a rule dont no why youre getting so upset over it, also didnt get suspended because i didnt break any rules, you see, thats how rules work, you break them, you get in trouble
Oct. 26, 2023 at 2:56 p.m.
GM
Quoting: DH28Hockey
The problem with handing out major suspensions for illegal hits is you run into the issue where you'd basically be forcing guys out of work for significant amounts of time based on situations that are very difficult to prove as intentional (even though even as fans we can often tell that the hits are deliberate attempts to harm). It's why the only real huge suspensions you see for dirty hits are either the multiple time repeat offenders or the truly horrid hits

Yeah like Matt Cooke that made a career of ending others career and kept playing like it was nothing. grimace
Oct. 26, 2023 at 3:00 p.m.
Suspend him they would never do because of the revenue the name holds. That is the worst part. Crosby or McDavid would never ever be investigated. Smells like bs, sounds like bs, feels like bs...

yeah its all some big conspiracy against ottawa tears of joy
Oct. 26, 2023 at 3:02 p.m.
Danny B is here
Quoting: Herb_Brooks
thats not against the rules so that isnt a good comparison

I agree with you. The rules are dumb especially if ur betting on something that isn’t the NHL, but rules are rules and when ur break rules there are consequences it just is what it is
Herb_Brooks liked this.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 3:02 p.m.
Yeah but isn't gambling also a mental health disorder like substance abuse? How come there is support for one but not the other?
I don't think it justify anything more than a league that desperately cares for their brand name. F the players. F them hard. I'm glad I don't play in the NHL.

It can be. Drunk drivers can be alcoholics or first-time drinkers. That doesn't mean that both shouldn't go to jail if they're arrested for DUI.

There's a sign posted in every single locker room in the league that says that NHL players are forbidden from gambling on NHL games. He knew the rules, he broke the rules. If he has a problem, he should join the NHL Player Assistance Program to get help. That doesn't mean he shouldn't still be suspended.
Herb_Brooks and RazWild liked this.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 3:03 p.m.
Quoting: GMDannyB
I agree with you. The rules are dumb especially if ur betting on something that isn’t the NHL, but rules are rules and when ur break rules there are consequences it just is what it is

NHL players are allowed to bet on non-NHL games. That's not what's going on here.
Hurricanes_WPG liked this.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 3:03 p.m.
Quoting: GMDannyB

some streets have speed limits that are probbaly way too low for the street, but guess what its still speeding now matter how stupid it is, rules a rule
GMDannyB liked this.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 3:04 p.m.
Danny B is here
Quoting: tkecanuck341
NHL players are allowed to bet on non-NHL games. That's not what's going on here.

I thought it came out he had someone betting for him. Regardless of whatever rule he broke, he broke the rule and that has consequences
Herb_Brooks liked this.
Oct. 26, 2023 at 3:04 p.m.

lmfao tears of joy
Oct. 26, 2023 at 3:07 p.m.
Without knowing the specifics of the situation this is definitely a reaction
AG_sweden and Hurricanes_WPG liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll