SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #4 - The quiet period

Aug. 2, 2023 at 1:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mokumboi
#1 -

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b3cukofpidhqup9plbaspeivo6gqy5gkdz9vfx0w7&ep=v1_gifs_related&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

#2 - Great. I agree. So how did they examine him 2+ months in the future? Or maybe better yet, why? It's entirely meaningless to examine him now. Can't activate LTIR yet. Still plenty of time for improvement. Good grief, it's staring you all right in the face.

Nobody can fully comprehend concussions not even the best medical professionals. They are unpredictable

Someone may look fine then the symptoms rear there head causing serious damage. You dont take a chance with them in any sport as it can lead to serious brain damage just ask Tim Thomas. Heck Crosby got knocked out a whole year with a concussion. Murray may have been healthy enough to sit on a bench in May then in June complained about symptom reoccurrence and then in July through further testing symptoms didnt go away so they announced LTIR. Either way as I keep saying they would not have put him on if they were not confident of approval. Pridham worked in the NHL front office and dealt with stuff like this. If anyone knows the inner workings its him.
BigBallsBriere and Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 2:07 p.m.
torontos finest
1 - Wrong. If one is not fit to play, he is not cleared. And there's no such thing as "cleared to sit on the bench". AND who said he had to be "fit enough to withstand an entire NHL season"? Again, who do people think has this crystal ball that can see the future?

2 - Muh huh. And again, how does one see 2+ months into the future?

3 - See #1. Cleared to play is cleared to PLAY. How hard is this? Unless, of course, you're suggesting that the Leafs were willing to break rules to endanger the health and life of a player. Are you sure we want to go down that route?

4 - Oh here we go, the poor poor victim syndrome. All the haters out to get you. Muh huh. Yeah, there's totally no other reason to make Toronto justify this! Nothing fishy about it at all!!

Get serious already. FFS, guys.

Conveniently cut out the paragraph where I explained how NHL players are known to play through injuries during the playoffs. If we're going to clutch pearls over "break[ing] rules to endanger the health and life of a player", I think we should be more upset at Florida for putting Matthew Tkachuk on the ice with a broken sternum.

Really don't feel like I need to get into the details of how a doctor is able to "see two months into the future" beyond what I explained in my original post. I think "continuing to play as an NHL goalie will have long term negative implications on your health" is sufficient enough.

And yes, it does kind of feel like all the haters are out to get the Maple Leafs. Otherwise you wouldn't be frothing at the mouth over Murray going on LITR.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 2:10 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Aug. 2, 2023 at 2:16 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
Conveniently cut out the paragraph where I explained how NHL players are known to play through injuries during the playoffs. If we're going to clutch pearls over "break[ing] rules to endanger the health and life of a player", I think we should be more upset at Florida for putting Matthew Tkachuk on the ice with a broken sternum.

Really don't feel like I need to get into the details of how a doctor is able to "see two months into the future" beyond what I explained in my original post. I think "continuing to play as an NHL goalie will have long term negative implications on your health" is sufficient enough.

And yes, it does kind of feel like all the haters are out to get the Maple Leafs. Otherwise you wouldn't be frothing at the mouth over Murray going on LITR.

Yep if people should be mad at LTIR how do you think VGK afforded Eichel 2 years ago = LTIR.

Some legit some fishy like at one point they had 8 guys on LTIR at various points throughout season

Even Mirtle mentioned

That said, we’ve seen many players with less injury history than Murray end up on LTIR for a season or more. Murray’s list of ailments is extremely extensive the past two years, with as many as 10 different injuries, including head, neck, ankle and groin issues.

So yea I doubt we see anything. League will probs look at all paperwork and approve. Salty people will complain but hey its the Leafs when they do something that others have done its bad lul
Aug. 2, 2023 at 2:13 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: aadoyle
Yep if people should be mad at LTIR how do you think VGK afforded Eichel 2 years ago = LTIR.

i find it very suspicious that lehner is still on litr. he had his hip surgery a year ago, he should be cleared to play. nhl should investigate this
aadoyle and Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 2:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Aug. 2, 2023 at 2:28 p.m.
i find it very suspicious that lehner is still on litr. he had his hip surgery a year ago, he should be cleared to play. nhl should investigate this

Idk the lawsuits about fraud claims from his bank and the bankruptcy from the Snakes must have done him in.

I know he had surgery but he was only expected to miss one season per the injury reports. If he goes back on LTIR league should be going after Vegas more so than us as that man already missed a season and VGK been pulling LTIR shenanigans for 2 years. 2022 to afford Eichel, 2023 used 7.25m of Stone's LTIR to help win a cup. Now second case there is argument to both sides but its an example

Then again if they do it they got all the confidence he will be approved. Lets see
Aug. 2, 2023 at 2:27 p.m.
torontos finest
Idk the lawsuits about fraud claims from his bank and the bankruptcy from the Snakes must have done him in.

But no seriously where is he lul. As if he goes back on LTIR league should be going after Vegas more so than us as that man already missed a season and VGK been pulling LTIR shenanigans for 3 years

Lehner is 100% done. He injured the same shoulder twice in 2022 then he had that hip surgery. Unless there are any developments this month or in September I don't think we'll see him play another game.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 2:30 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Lehner is 100% done. He injured the same shoulder twice in 2022 then he had that hip surgery. Unless there are any developments this month or in September I don't think we'll see him play another game.

Probably but who knows. Inthe end if that guys approved then you can do the same with Murray who has had head, neck, ankle and groin issues along with recent concussion issues. As Mirtle said "we’ve seen many players with less injury history than Murray end up on LTIR for a season or more"

But no its the Leafs lets make a big deal over it
Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 4:18 p.m.
mokumboi

If you all want to get upset at Florida, I support you. Go for it. But that's not this topic. This is a different topic.

And brother, the amount of time I spend thinking about the Leafs at all is minimal, at best. Why on Earth would I use enough energy to hate the Leafs? This is silly. And there's nothing wild about questioning this overtly hmmmm LTIR announcement. It's kinda the obvious reaction when you could not care less one way or the other about the team.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 4:21 p.m.
mokumboi
Nobody can fully comprehend concussions not even the best medical professionals. They are unpredictable.

Exactly. Which is yet another reason this looks fishy. The unpredictability of concussion symptoms is not a factor working in the favor of justifying this announcement. But whatever. They'll almost certainly get away with it if this is what it very much looks like.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 4:46 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Aug. 2, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.
Exactly. Which is yet another reason this looks fishy. The unpredictability of concussion symptoms is not a factor working in the favor of justifying this announcement. But whatever. They'll almost certainly get away with it if this is what it very much looks like.

It does not look fishy as here is the thing what if the league deems Murray ready to play despite his and TML med staff saying otherwise he plays 1 game and then the symptoms spring up again and the concussion symptoms gets worse resulting in brain damage. League can face a lawsuit as Murray can say I didnt feel ready to play nor did my team doctors yet NHL forced me to play and now this happened. You think League's gonna risk that especially with a guy who has a vast injury list hell nah

Look at Tim Thomas guy suffered a concussion his final year and now has permeant brain dmg

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28285514/ex-bruin-tim-thomas-details-brain-damage-concussion

Heck NFL team played a guy who was concussed and he almost died

In the end guys gonna be on LTIR and thats just all there is to it
Aug. 2, 2023 at 4:49 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier

TOO GOOD
Aug. 2, 2023 at 5:03 p.m.
SHL NJD GM

You do know doctors can make assessments based on the evidence they currently have right? It's very much possible that with the information the doctors have right now, they think Murray's recovery period will be long, if it changes, the doctors can reassess their statements, simple as that
aadoyle, Saskleaf and Eissportclub liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 6:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Pitts gonna be interesting to watch now

As I dont believe they have their second buyout cause they reached a deal with O'Connor before Arb

So they might have to pay to move Granlund.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 6:20 p.m.

A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 6:40 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: pinslack

Oh come on, it’s been teased for like 6 months that the names will be known soon, give us the names, stop beating around the bush
Aug. 2, 2023 at 6:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

JUST ****ING ANNOUNCE IT ALREADY

God like 6months and we still dont have full on details and its just we know but shhh wont say yet
mokumboi liked this.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 6:45 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Oh come on, it’s been teased for like 6 months that the names will be known soon, give us the names, stop beating around the bush

JUST ****ING ANNOUNCE IT ALREADY

They might as well keep it secret until opening night knowing Bettman
Aug. 2, 2023 at 6:49 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: IconicHawk
They might as well keep it secret until opening night knowing Bettman

Issue with that is teams have to submit their rosters before that so if he waits till then its gonna **** over so many teams

But hey he must want Chaos lul
Aug. 2, 2023 at 8:45 p.m.
mokumboi

Well, we already know that Formenton is almost certainly one of them. I think McLeod is the only other player who made no public statement denying involvement. And Batherson's only statement was to say he's not making a statement, which ermmm ain't great. So one way or another, it would appear that at least a couple players (or their agents) lied in denying involvement publicly.
Aug. 2, 2023 at 9:03 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Well, we already know that Formenton is almost certainly one of them. I think McLeod is the only other player who made no public statement denying involvement. And Batherson's only statement was to say he's not making a statement, which ermmm ain't great. So one way or another, it would appear that at least a couple players (or their agents) lied in denying involvement publicly.

That’s really not a surprise, the players involved wouldn’t admit their guilt before a criminal investigation + trial happens, that’d be incredibly dumb, not any consequences for lying anyways about that
Aug. 3, 2023 at 9:01 a.m.
I make typos

McDavid's agent is joining the Oilers front office, hope this means Bob Nicholson is gone
pinslack liked this.
Aug. 3, 2023 at 9:35 a.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Watching the SKA preaseason game right now, and Michkov is playing center. Him and Demidov have a goal and assist both are so good.
Aug. 3, 2023 at 9:35 a.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Watching the SKA preaseason game right now, and Michkov is playing center. Him and Demidov have a goal and assist both are so good.
Aug. 3, 2023 at 10:00 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Name a better duo, EDM and tampering
Aug. 3, 2023 at 10:18 a.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: MatthewsFan

Name a better duo, EDM and tampering

So McDavid's and Connor Brown's now former agent, Bouchard's now former agency + maybe? That is kind of suspicious

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll