SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Mock Madness

Mock Madness

Draft Class: 2023
Created By: Duggysdanglers
Published: Jun. 19, 2023 at 2:38 a.m.
Description
This is what I’d do as GMs. It’s tough to call given the sheer depth of talent.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Easy peasey. Bedard is a top talent.
2Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Ducks stack their C depth. Fantilli has physicality to go along with his offensive ability. Hobey Baker winner. Has shown willingness and ability to play a well rounded game.
3Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-CBJ grabs a top line C. Leo Carlsson showed he can C a top line with Sweden at the WHC this Spring. This is the C they have been missing.
4Logo of the San Jose Sharks-Most mocks have SJ taking Michkov and I agree. They have to wait for those aging contracts to expire so why not wait on MM?? On talent alone he makes it as a top line F. Paired with Eklund and now they have the makings of some offence.
5Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-As a Bruins fan I’d prefer the Habs draft poorly but they won’t. Will Smith is a top line talent. Him and Suzuki as 1-2 C punch is highly competitive.
6Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-AZ cannot pass up top end skill to complement Cooley. Benson had a great season even though it was overshadowed by Bedard.
7Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Flyers are gutting the whole place and do they should. I’d start building from the blue line out. It’s tempting to take Dvorsky simply because he’s a C with a high ceiling but the Flyers have lacked a true bone fide top pair RD for a few decades. I remember Eric Desjardins and a couple others but that’s it. The failed Weber Offer Sheet. So take Reinbacher. He’s right there. He already performs against top level players and will give them what they’ve missed for so long.
8Logo of the Washington Capitals-It’s been what 18 years since the Caps picked this high?? Dvorsky has what they need. Top level C with size, skating and skill. That’s the Caps’ mold.
9Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Steve Yzerman and Detroit are usually off the board. Can totally see them trading down or up. I think Stevie Y has a good look at Leonard and reminisces about Shanahan. Power Forward at RW. Put up loads of points this past year. Detroit needs more offense up front.
10Logo of the St. Louis Blues-Blues need to draft C’s to match up with their elite wingers. Oliver Moore should be able to up with Kyrou and Thomas.
11Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-The Vancouver Canucks organization is a dumpster fire these days so they should just draft the top talent available. ASP will fit in really well down the road.
12Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsAZ cannot pass up the size and skill combo of Wood. He led UConn in points as the youngest player in College hockey. Has played C but mostly a right shot RW. Slot him beside Benson and Cooley.
13Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Sabres have every box checked except RD. They have Tage and Cozens down the middle. Skinner and Olofsson and a few other wingers. Power and Dahlin in the back end. Tom Willander fits in really well back there because he has size and skating ability to support his well rounded game. His game will support either Power or Dahlin really well and take some pressure off of them.
14Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-Gabe Perreault should really go higher but his size drops him down a bit but Dubas makes his first pick count here as he takes high end skill to play with Crosby/ Malkin.
15Logo of the Nashville Predators-Preds need to boost their offense if they want back in the playoffs. Barlow is BPA for that.
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-Flames enter into a precarious offseason with many key players needing extensions. Need an eye on the future vs immediate needs. ND fits the Flames bill as a rangy 200 foot Right Handed C. I like to think that he would be higher in the Draft boards had he played in a far better team. Still is not a huge reach here for Conroy. Might see a bit of himself in this player. Kills penalties. Relentless work ethic. Captain in his draft year.
17Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York IslandersAnother wild card prediction with Detroit. I say Simashev because all of the past 5-7 Cup Champs have all had large mobile physical D Corps. Yzerman built that prototype in TB then left before getting his name on the Cup with them. This player gets compared to Ekholm and that almost has me taking him at 15 for Nashville.
18Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-The Jets will have several holes to fill in their lineup this offseason with everyone wanting out. They need to fill out their C depth with their top 2 C’s leaving by this time next year. Ritchie has all the tools and abilities. Just needs to improve skating and mobility.
19Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningHonzek looks like a great fit beside Bedard. He has a power forward element along with his skill to keep up with CB. His trajectory changed course after his injury so he should have a higher ceiling.
20Logo of the Seattle Kraken-Sale is a smooth skating LW with excellent IQ and vision to facilitate offense. These items will complement Seattle’s top young C’s.
21Logo of the Minnesota Wild-The Wild need more C prospects. They have Rossi coming along behind Boldy and Erikssen Ek. Yager is a smooth skating agile right shot C who can shoot the puck really well.
22Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the Los Angeles KingsTempted to snag Stramel here since they drafted a RD earlier. He would fit in well with the Flyers however But has a lot more offense to his game and will flank nicely beside Cutter Gauthier. He has a similar trajectory to Tage Thompson. Flyers would be thrilled to see him still on the board here.
23Logo of the New York Rangers-Cristall could easily go much higher. The Rangers loads of prospects at every position really do why grab a super skilled LW?
24Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Edmonton OilersPreds need to restock their blue line. Gulyayev has all of the finesse and skill and skating ability to drive offense. Paired with a sturdy RD would be a solid recipe for success.
25Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsTempted towards either Edstrom or Stenberg but I say the Blues grab Stramel. Just looking at Vegas’ team with 4 lines of larger F that are fast and physical and fearless. They score in tight close to the net which is wear you have to be win in the playoffs. There are some higher skilled players still on the board but I’d look hard at the teams that are winning Cups.
26Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey DevilsBonk has NHL bloodlines. Plays a well rounded 2 way game. Not flashy but is very effective on the ice. Has second pair RD written all over him.
27Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Edstrom was Sweden’s top line C at the U18s. Good skill in tight areas. Plays with power and skill. Needs to improve skating. Avs need C depth and prospect depth everywhere overall.
28Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Boston BruinsDanny Nelson is exactly the type of player that the Leafs need. He’s a Swiss Army Knife type of player. He has size and ability. Relentless work ethic. Takes on tough matchups which frees up the teams top lines to player against lesser opponents. The Leafs need defensive minded sand paper gritty players if they ever expect to advance deep in to the playoffs.
29Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Dallas StarsKasper fits the Blues mold perfectly. Needs to work on his acceleration but most larger players do. Lots of raw talent to work. Shoot first net driving power forward RW. Plays a physical menacing game away from the puck.
30Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-There’s always players that drop in the Draft and Canes will be happy to have him. 97 points in his Draft year is pretty solid production.
31Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Florida PanthersHabs can grab a RD version of Guhle who has some solid offensive ability but also holds his own in the D zone.
32Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Cup Champs take a flyer on Captain of Sweden’s U18 team. Plays solid in tight and pulls pucks in from the perimeter. Good motor. Fit in really well at the SHL level so he’s got a solid pro game pedigree. Note: was tempted to take a G but it does not seem to matter who’s in net for Vegas.
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
33Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Ducks continue to stock the cupboards on D. Tanner is as mobile as most any D in this Draft.
34Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Late birthday. Raw tool kit. Lots of upside.
35Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Hawks have several LD in their system already. They likely take D with this pick given who they took in Round One. I like this player. He’s a gamer with solid feet who defends really well and is mobile enough to support the play up ice and to get back in time to defend and maintain gap control.
36Logo of the San Jose Sharks-Brindley could easily go in Round One. Sharks are happy to take his raw talent and wait on him to develop to eventually play alongside Michkov.
37Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Habs take Musty that skilled power forward with good net drive. Needs to improve skating.
38Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-AZ takes a D since they already grabbed 2 F’s in Round One.
39Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Philadelphia FlyersSabres take another steady RD. Strbak is a rock. Skating needs work but has size and tenacity.
40Logo of the Washington Capitals-Caps load up a RD to develop behind Carlson. Allen was ranked pretty high to start the Draft year.
41Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Detroit with 3 straight picks. Yzerman grabs a G right away. Augustine won U18 Gokd and looks calm as can be in net.
42Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the St. Louis BluesStevie Y takes a chance here with an offensive RD that needs work.
43Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Vancouver CanucksNadeau is ranked really high in several mocks and Scott Wheeler has him in Round One. Maybe it’s a steal similar to Brayden Point.
44Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsInjuries set Dvorak back a bit but he is still 6’5” and 209 lbs. Shut down LD.
45Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
46Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
47Logo of the Nashville Predators-
48Logo of the Calgary Flames-
49Logo of the New York Islanders-
50Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Winnipeg Jets
51Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
52Logo of the Seattle Kraken-
53Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
54Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-
55Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the New York Rangers
56Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-Oilers need a stud G to develop behind Skinner. Kenny likely outright refuses to draft a G with his first pick in the Draft. But I say Hrabal is the right pick here. He could totally go sooner.
57Logo of the Seattle KrakenLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
58Logo of the New Jersey Devils-
59Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Colorado Avalanche
60Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston Bruins
61Logo of the Dallas Stars-
62Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
63Logo of the Florida Panthers-
64Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Vegas Golden Knights
Jun. 19, 2023 at 7:56 a.m.
Joe
As much as I'd hate Simashev @ 17 (especially with Honzek available), the more I listen to the big Red Wings journalists preaching how this a reality (Max Bultman, Prashanth Iyer), the more I fear my hatred will become reality.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 8:16 a.m.
Quoting: JoeROFLCOPTER
As much as I'd hate Simashev 17 (especially with Honzek available), the more I listen to the big Red Wings journalists preaching how this a reality (Max Bultman, Prashanth Iyer), the more I fear my hatred will become reality.

Hatred?? The last 5-7 Cup Chamos have all had large mobile D. Honzek is pretty solid. Never know what Yzerman will do though.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 8:31 a.m.
Joe
Quoting: Duggysdanglers
Hatred?? The last 5-7 Cup Chamos have all had large mobile D. Honzek is pretty solid. Never know what Yzerman will do though.

I mean, Detroit already has two of those in the prospect pool on the left side.
Edvinsson is 6'6", and although more of a nothing-gets-by-me defender, but he certainly is a great skater and alright offensively.
Wallinder is 6'4" and is also a puck-moving, great skating prospect that Simashev is projected. He was 10th in the SHL for TOI/60 as a 21 y/o. He recently won the "best young player award" in Euro Hockey (SHL, DEL, NL, etc).

As for my opinion on Honzek; Yzerman seemingly loves this kid. He himself was spotted scouting this kid. He's also been interviewed the most by Detroit. I can see him being taken 9OA by Yzerman (although would complain if Leonard is there).
Rougelegionnaire liked this.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 10:12 a.m.
Quoting: JoeROFLCOPTER
I mean, Detroit already has two of those in the prospect pool on the left side.
Edvinsson is 6'6", and although more of a nothing-gets-by-me defender, but he certainly is a great skater and alright offensively.
Wallinder is 6'4" and is also a puck-moving, great skating prospect that Simashev is projected. He was 10th in the SHL for TOI/60 as a 21 y/o. He recently won the "best young player award" in Euro Hockey (SHL, DEL, NL, etc).

As for my opinion on Honzek; Yzerman seemingly loves this kid. He himself was spotted scouting this kid. He's also been interviewed the most by Detroit. I can see him being taken 9OA by Yzerman (although would complain if Leonard is there).

Detroit does have a nice stable already. If a strong RD was there then I’d have them take that guy but both Willander and ASP will be gone at 17.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 10:14 a.m.
Joe
Quoting: Duggysdanglers
Detroit does have a nice stable already. If a strong RD was there then I’d have them take that guy but both Willander and ASP will be gone at 17.

Yeah I'd love one of those guys, but like I said I just cannot see Yzerman not picking Honzek. He typically doesn't show his hand, but I can't see this kid not being a Red Wing.
Duggysdanglers liked this.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 10:20 a.m.
I don't see the Jackets taking Caden Price as #2 in the second especially if Gavin Brindley is still on the board they have lots of D prospects coming up they don't need more they need more Center Depth. Leo Carlsson will be great for them but Brindley is just to good to pass on.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll