SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

New Jersey Devils signed Damon Severson (8 Years / $6,250,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 18, 2023 at 2:10 a.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I mean, bc Columbus was the only place Severson wanted to play in, NJD was sorta backed into a corner and so, accepted the 3rd as compensation... So, I was just saying that if it wasn't CBJ and it was Toronto, for example, NJD would have taken the third from them despite the pick not being as high as CBJ's one

Never heard he only wanted CBJ I heard his thing was he wanted max term
Jun. 18, 2023 at 4:19 p.m.
Quoting: Pete
This is a loss for the Devils.
This is no win for the Jackets.
This is a clear win for Severson.

How is it a loss for the devil's? They got a 3rd for a guy who was going to walk for nothing.
Jun. 18, 2023 at 4:24 p.m.
Edited Jun. 18, 2023 at 4:30 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Gosh, I don’t think that is any clearer. Most of Buffalo’s roster either came from draft or from their farm system. And Okposo deal was 7 years ago, Moulson deal was 9 years ago. Maybe try another example that fits current situation?

Also free agents cannot sign 8-year deals unless they are extending on current team.

They also have to sign that 8 years prior to the start of free agency or they can't even with their old team. Prime example Steven Stamkos when he signed his last deal. They had a 4dsy "legal Tampering" period bH met with Toronto on Tuesday and had a meeting set up for Wednesday with Buffalo. According to He and Steve Yzerman In separate interviews confirmed after meeting with Toronto he cancelled the meeting with Buffalo and walked into Yzerman's office,told him give me what you can max term Full NMC buyout proof and I'll sign it. he signed it Thursday because if he had waited until Friday bye bye 8 year CBA
Jun. 18, 2023 at 4:42 p.m.
I mean, bc Columbus was the only place Severson wanted to play in, NJD was sorta backed into a corner and so, accepted the 3rd as compensation... So, I was just saying that if it wasn't CBJ and it was Toronto, for example, NJD would have taken the third from them despite the pick not being as high as CBJ's one

But Columbus wasn’t the only place Severson wanted to play in. It wasn’t on his radar. He wanted max term (and it was long believed that he wanted to go to Western Canada). CBJ made him their top target, went after Devils GM first, then sold Severson on the move.

And apparently there were a handful of teams bidding for his negotiating rights. CBJ must have bid the highest since there were only ones allowed to talk to Severson’s agents before trade was finalized.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 9:04 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
But Columbus wasn’t the only place Severson wanted to play in. It wasn’t on his radar. He wanted max term (and it was long believed that he wanted to go to Western Canada). CBJ made him their top target, went after Devils GM first, then sold Severson on the move.

And apparently there were a handful of teams bidding for his negotiating rights. CBJ must have bid the highest since there were only ones allowed to talk to Severson’s agents before trade was finalized.

I thought this was the same scenario as the Zach Hyman one
Jun. 19, 2023 at 9:22 a.m.
I thought this was the same scenario as the Zach Hyman one

Hyman was a college senior whose draft rights were set to expire in August when Florida dealt him (more like Fox deal or McBain last year).

Severson is a veteran player and pending UFA, who NJD was not going to sign (was going to walk for nothing).

Columbus wanted him on 8-year deal…so gave NJD the pick to add the 8th year (only NJD can offer 8, all other teams 7).

Very different situations
Jun. 19, 2023 at 9:27 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Hyman was a college senior whose draft rights were set to expire in August when Florida dealt him (more like Fox deal or McBain last year).

Severson is a veteran player and pending UFA, who NJD was not going to sign (was going to walk for nothing).

Columbus wanted him on 8-year deal…so gave NJD the pick to add the 8th year (only NJD can offer 8, all other teams 7).

Very different situations

I meant Hyman to EDM. Supposedly, Hyman already told Dubas that he was going to sign in Edmonton. But, Edmonton wanted that 8th year. So, Dubas asked for a second in exchange for that 8th year. To at that point, EDM said no and only signed Hyman to 7 years

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit