SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 Draft Targets

Jun. 22, 2023 at 12:30 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: MatthewsFan

I’d be trading back from 28 if it played out like this

Trade back for Brindley and Akey. Maybe Detroit could spare a few of those 2nd rounders they have kicking about
MatthewsFan liked this.
Jun. 22, 2023 at 12:33 p.m.
Amirov Forever
I want Anton Wahlberg so much but if I taking him at 28 is too high (I would also be shocked if we keep the pick) I am all aboard the Beau Akey train.

MITCH BROWN: “I have so many, but here’s one: The best defenceman in the draft won’t be David Reinbacher, Dmitri Simashev, or Axel Sandin Pellikka. It will be one of the toolsy/high-skill late-first and beyond players, like Tanner Molendyk or Beau Akey. I’ll say Akey. Less explosive than Molendyk but just as exceptional defending the rush. One of the best 1-on-1 defenders in the CHL – he’s suffocating out there with his mobility, stick work, and timing. And while we don’t see a ton of offence from him, the flashes are exciting: Weak side activation for one-timers, give-and-goes where he draws opponents first, and manipulation from the point. With Brandt Clarke leaving next season, maybe he gets the green light to run wild. With that mobility and those flashes, he could go off.“

“Akey is a tremendous skater and covers a great amount of ice defensively. He’s among the class’ premier rush defenders and once he fills out his frame, he could potentially add layers of aggression and violence to his defensive game that don’t come out very often as of yet. He’s a good passer and has progressed as a puck carrier, he has the upside to be an impactful top-four piece, but he will need to refine his on-puck game and gain in offensive confidence to push the boundaries of that potential”. –

Akey is another one of those shutdown defensemen that I really like, and if we do end up scooping him up, I'd be very happy. I haven't really named him in this forum because I can't see the Leafs stretching to take him at 28, and I'm not sure we're going to trade back. If that's the route we go down, absolutely, give me Akey and someone else.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 9:49 a.m.
I love the draft, but also hate it. Sucks getting so attached to your favorite prospects knowing your team probably won't end up with any of them.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 10:07 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I love the draft, but also hate it. Sucks getting so attached to your favorite prospects knowing your team probably won't end up with any of them.

From 2017-2021 TOR selected 37 times. All of Liljegren, Durzi (traded), Sandin (traded), Woll and Knies are NHLers.

Jury is still out on Robertson (looking like trade bait), Holmberg, and promising but still unknown prospects in Koster, Abruzzese, Tverberg, Niemela, Hirvonen, Grebenkin, who are all another year or two away.

Thank god we drafted Knies cause this is still a concern that we are not developing enough talent to help out the big team. We keep trading picks for UFA’s that we don’t end up keeping.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 10:25 a.m.
From 2017-2021 TOR selected 37 times. All of Liljegren, Durzi (traded), Sandin (traded), Woll and Knies are NHLers.

Jury is still out on Robertson (looking like trade bait), Holmberg, and promising but still unknown prospects in Koster, Abruzzese, Tverberg, Niemela, Hirvonen, Grebenkin, who are all another year or two away.

Thank god we drafted Knies cause this is still a concern that we are not developing enough talent to help out the big team. We keep trading picks for UFA’s that we don’t end up keeping

Don't know why Dubas decided to do a f*cking 180 on that philosophy (or if it was Dubas at all, with all we've learned since his departure) but it really pissed me off.

Really hope Robertson doesn't end up as trade bait rn. They'd be selling on him at the lowest his value has been since getting drafted.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 1:30 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Don't know why Dubas decided to do a f*cking 180 on that philosophy (or if it was Dubas at all, with all we've learned since his departure) but it really pissed me off.

Really hope Robertson doesn't end up as trade bait rn. They'd be selling on him at the lowest his value has been since getting drafted.

Wouldn't worry to much for Robertson as he's probs gonna be packaged off for a top 6 wing like Konecny
Jun. 24, 2023 at 8:47 p.m.
Birddog

It’s settled. Draft him.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 9:17 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

After seeing the latest rankings rip this guy to Toronto but hey Quentin Musty dropped

Guess he had a good second half rip
Jun. 25, 2023 at 10:09 a.m.
Quoting: Nathaniel
I feel bad flooding the Leafs Prospect Updates forum with guys I'd like to see drafted (considering they arent Leafs prospects), so I decided to start this forum to catalogue some of my favourite prospects. Here are some of my favourite prospects in order:

1. Dmitri Simashev
2. Gavin Brindley
3. Danil But
4. Anton Wahlberg
5. Oskar Fisker Molgaard

Simashev would be so perfect... Please fall to 28

I really like Oliver Bonk for the Leafs. He's a big right-shot defenseman, and it never hurts to have guys like that in the system. He's also projected to go around the 25-35 range, so there's a good chance he'll be available.
Jun. 25, 2023 at 10:34 a.m.
Quoting: tmlfan4life
I really like Oliver Bonk for the Leafs. He's a big right-shot defenseman, and it never hurts to have guys like that in the system. He's also projected to go around the 25-35 range, so there's a good chance he'll be available.

I really can't get on the Oliver Bonk train, and I have tried. Nothing I've seen from this guy has left me thinking anything more than "meh".
Jun. 25, 2023 at 4:37 p.m.

There are issues there obviously, but if this guy is sitting there in the late rounds you absolutely take him and do everything you can to get his deficiencies up to an acceptable standard.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Jun. 25, 2023 at 5:24 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I really can't get on the Oliver Bonk train, and I have tried. Nothing I've seen from this guy has left me thinking anything more than "meh".

At this point im leaning towards moving away from a Dman and going to a forward like Musty

Now if Sandin drops than **** what I said above lul
Jun. 29, 2023 at 12:34 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: Newtown
It’s settled. Draft him.

Haha oh boy

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll