SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/New Jersey Devils

If Devils want to take a significant step forward next season, both Meier and Bratt need to come back

May 20, 2023 at 2:20 a.m.
Banned
Devils fans have many reasons to be feeling good about their team right now, but that could be somewhat undone next season if just one of Bratt or Meier decides they don't want to commit long-term, not because they don't feel they have a chance to win, but because they don't feel they're being offered what they feel they deserve financially. Fitz and crew have already undergone two difficult negotiations with Bratt, and Meier has a 10M qualifying offer, so there aren't necessarily the biggest grounds for optimism at play. The Devils have barely enough cap space to keep both players without sacrificing or letting go of notable roster pieces elsewhere, like Wood and Haula. I guess we assume that Ryan Graves and Damon Severson both walk to make room for both Hughes and Nemec, seems like a no brainer right? Don't forget about Siegenthaler's extension kicking in. Micheal McLeod will need a raise as well, I assume Sharangovich and MacKenzie Blackwood will be left un-tendered considering how many times they've been healthy scratched. Seems Alexander Holtz's development has stifled a bit considering how few games he's played this season, bot NHL and AHL.
May 22, 2023 at 4:33 p.m.
Quoting: Knuckl3s
Devils fans have many reasons to be feeling good about their team right now, but that could be somewhat undone next season if just one of Bratt or Meier decides they don't want to commit long-term, not because they don't feel they have a chance to win, but because they don't feel they're being offered what they feel they deserve financially. Fitz and crew have already undergone two difficult negotiations with Bratt, and Meier has a 10M qualifying offer, so there aren't necessarily the biggest grounds for optimism at play. The Devils have barely enough cap space to keep both players without sacrificing or letting go of notable roster pieces elsewhere, like Wood and Haula. I guess we assume that Ryan Graves and Damon Severson both walk to make room for both Hughes and Nemec, seems like a no brainer right? Don't forget about Siegenthaler's extension kicking in. Micheal McLeod will need a raise as well, I assume Sharangovich and MacKenzie Blackwood will be left un-tendered considering how many times they've been healthy scratched. Seems Alexander Holtz's development has stifled a bit considering how few games he's played this season, bot NHL and AHL.

Bratt -- In GM Tom Fitzgerald's end-of-season media availability, he hinted they may be close. Said they have "framework" of deal.

Meier -- One thing we learned after the trade was that he wanted to be here. We have no idea where an extension stands, but I'd imagine he gives it every opportunity to work.

UFAs -- We can fit them all back minus Graves and Tatar, who both appear to be gone.

Graves -- In his exit interviews, Graves sounded like a former Devil..."in my time with the Devils"..."they will be good" (whereas Severson was using very different language..."we").

Tatar -- He had already cleaned out his locker and left. Didn't even speak with media.

Sharangovich -- Will likely be tendered. Only $2.05m to buy another year....its very cheap for good, defensive, 20g player who can play wing or center.

Blackwood -- Odds are he is probably gone. Either non-tender or dealt for meaningless scraps. But because Schmid is still young and has wavier-exemption next year, there is small but >0 chance he does return.

Haula -- Said there is no place he would rather play. Thinking they try to bring him back.

Holtz -- His development is fine. During mid-season, he got stuck in press box due to no fault of his own. Lindy changes the lineup after a loss...keeps lineup when they win. Holtz found himself odd-man out during long winning steak. He performed well in Utica....and is coming off one of the best D+2 seasons ever in that league.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll