SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Anaheim Ducks

Anaheim's history with the draft lottery

May 10, 2023 at 2:52 a.m.
Future Ducks legend
Pretext: I like all of you are a bit miffed that Chicago jumped us for 1OA, 5 years after having jumped from 12 to 3 to select Dach, and with their previous 1OA selection from 2007 (where they jumped the maximum allowable) still in the league, So I wanted to understand how Anaheim has done since the draft lottery was introduced in 1995. The results were not heartwarming (note, I only focused on picks that were originally ours)

We have never won a lottery since it was introduced in 1995. We have fallen in 4 of the last 5 lotteries. 7 out of 12 in franchise history top 10 selections we have dropped due to a lottery winner leapfrogging us. The only time in league history we have drafted this high was Bobby Ryan when we got 2OA from the Crosby Sweepstakes due to the 04-05 lockout.

Chicago, on the other hand, has dropped back twice since 2005 in top 10 selections, 1 position each time, while they have moved forward 3 times, 4 spots, 9 spots, and 2 spots respectively, getting 1OA twice in that time. Yeah, it really feels like the league stacks the deck in the easts favor........

Some other fun history I dug up. Of the teams in the pacific division, only two have ever drafted at 1OA. The Kings in 1967 (guy was a bust, never played in the show) and the Oilers, who have selected 1OA 4 times. The Ducks, Sharks, Canucks, Flames, Kraken (obviously) Knights (obviously), Golden Seals, Coyotes, have never drafted 1OA. You can slip the Avalanche in on a technicality, but they got Mackinnon after leaving the pacific division. Dallas stars have also never drafted 1OA.

The silver lining, we generally do fairly well in our trades. For example, Toronto gave us the Rakell and Gibson picks to select Tyler Biggs, he never played at the NHL level, that gave me a bit of a giggle.
Manson liked this.
May 10, 2023 at 2:54 p.m.
45 for Norris.
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
Pretext: I like all of you are a bit miffed that Chicago jumped us for 1OA, 5 years after having jumped from 12 to 3 to select Dach, and with their previous 1OA selection from 2007 (where they jumped the maximum allowable) still in the league, So I wanted to understand how Anaheim has done since the draft lottery was introduced in 1995. The results were not heartwarming (note, I only focused on picks that were originally ours)

We have never won a lottery since it was introduced in 1995. We have fallen in 4 of the last 5 lotteries. 7 out of 12 in franchise history top 10 selections we have dropped due to a lottery winner leapfrogging us. The only time in league history we have drafted this high was Bobby Ryan when we got 2OA from the Crosby Sweepstakes due to the 04-05 lockout.

Chicago, on the other hand, has dropped back twice since 2005 in top 10 selections, 1 position each time, while they have moved forward 3 times, 4 spots, 9 spots, and 2 spots respectively, getting 1OA twice in that time. Yeah, it really feels like the league stacks the deck in the easts favor........

Some other fun history I dug up. Of the teams in the pacific division, only two have ever drafted at 1OA. The Kings in 1967 (guy was a bust, never played in the show) and the Oilers, who have selected 1OA 4 times. The Ducks, Sharks, Canucks, Flames, Kraken (obviously) Knights (obviously), Golden Seals, Coyotes, have never drafted 1OA. You can slip the Avalanche in on a technicality, but they got Mackinnon after leaving the pacific division. Dallas stars have also never drafted 1OA.

The silver lining, we generally do fairly well in our trades. For example, Toronto gave us the Rakell and Gibson picks to select Tyler Biggs, he never played at the NHL level, that gave me a bit of a giggle.

7l9xl6.gif
7l9xyi.gif

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll