Forums/Armchair-GM

Post Draft and Free Agency

Created by: timetosaygoodbye
Team: 2017-18 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 14, 2017
Published: Mar. 14, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Brian Boyle contract seems like a lot but considering the other moves, and how many players will still be on their ELCs during the 2 years of the contract, the Leafs would easily be able to afford to overpay for him.

I suspect we'll lose either Marchenko or Marincin to the Expansion Draft. Flip a coin as to who of the two goes to Vegas.

Nashville has contracts coming off the books and could afford to lose a player like Ellis to gain an offensive piece like JVR and an underrated Josh Leivo. And I think Marincin will be fine playing with the elite Mattias Ekholm.

Ryan Ellis is one of the best two-way defensemen in the NHL, and I think he'd be great for Rielly. And a great contract for another 2 years on top of that.

I suspect that Babcock and Leafs Management would not want a sheltered scoring line to be all rookies, so after trading JVR, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a similar trade to this one to add to a Nylander/Kapanen line.

Pouliot is a lot better than people think and playing with two young, high energy skilled players could really benefit him and the Leafs.

And while I like Carrick, I've been more impressed with Matthew Benning this season. He has real potential. And the 2nd rounder could be for taking Pouliot and retaining half of Bozak's salary.

Toronto is very close to contending now; they'll want to give Nylander more time earlier in the season to learn the center position at the NHL level. Best to do this sooner than later, which is why I think they'll look to move Bozak during the summer. Edmonton needs a 3rd line center, and this would work for them.

An NHL backup roughly plays around 25-30 games a year, which is A LOT, so I think if it costs a premium to get a great backup then it's worth it.

Scott Darling has been brilliant this season for Chicago. Especially after Crawford was out for over a month to injury. Darling was their MVP.

Not only will he be the best backup available, he should be looked at as the best backup in the NHL regardless.

Yeah, I know, Hunwick... Babs loves him, and I hope that if they do sign him, it's as a 7th D and locker room presence. We all know how much he likes players to be 'Good Pros'.

I do expect Leivo to be moved this off-season and for Leipsic to essentially replace him as the 13th forward for next season since he'll be losing his waiver eligibility.

Also, Babcock does prefer 8 defensemen, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs sign a couple to PTOs and sign one of them to be their 8th D.

Which means Eric Feher will be playing with the Marlies. Duh.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,250,000
5$2,250,000
5$4,500,000
1$700,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$4,000,000
4$3,500,000
2$3,250,000
1$1,200,000
Signing, PTO
1$800,000
Trades
TOR
    Expansion Draft
    TOR
    1. Benning, Matthew
    2. Pouliot, Benoit
    3. 2018 2nd round pick (EDM)
    EDM
    1. Bozak, Tyler ($2,100,000 retained)
    2. Carrick, Connor
    Buyouts
    Retained Salary Transactions
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$75,000,000$67,066,666$5,370,000$4,975,000$7,933,334
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 4
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    C
    UFA - 2
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $2,950,000$2,950,000
    RW, LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 2
    $736,666$736,666 (Performance Bonus$125,000$125K)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 5
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $4,050,000$4,050,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 7
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    G
    UFA - 4
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    LD/RD, LW
    UFA - 4
    Signing, PTO
    $800,000$800,000
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Mar. 14, 2017 at 2:12 a.m.
    Leafs wouldn't retain any salary for Bozak if they taking back Pouliets awful contract. Also no way the leafs trade him, if they do that's their top faceoff man gone. Boyle is also grossly overpaid so no way that would ever happen. Otherwise decent job
    Mar. 14, 2017 at 2:55 a.m.
    That Ekholm trade is very realisticly possible, it could also happen with one of Anaheim's defencemen too
    Mar. 14, 2017 at 7:11 a.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    I don't get this love for Boyle. There has to better 4th lines available. And do you really want to go into next season, hoping Nylander becomes an effective centre. IMO the Leafs need Bozak next year to ensure Nylander is an centre and if Nylander is OK, Bozak is the fourth liner and maybe tradable during the season.
    Pouilet has the reputation has one of the more uninspired players in the league. No thanks from the Leafs. Nashville trade could be good fit for both teams.
    Mar. 14, 2017 at 12:31 p.m.
    Banned
    Brendan Smith turned down a 3 year deal at around $3.75 million per to stay in Detroit? No way does he sign for 2 years at $3,25 million per. Try more like $4.25 million per for 3 years at least.
    Mar. 14, 2017 at 1:01 p.m.
    Black Lives Matter
    Sorry, but way too much for a 2nd pairing d-man.
    Mar. 14, 2017 at 4:19 p.m.
    Quoting: Stryder4
    Leafs wouldn't retain any salary for Bozak if they taking back Pouliets awful contract. Also no way the leafs trade him, if they do that's their top faceoff man gone. Boyle is also grossly overpaid so no way that would ever happen. Otherwise decent job

Looking at the specific moves I could see the Leafs making (especially with Ryan Ellis at 2.5m for the next 2 years) would make it VERY easy to overpay for Boyle. You can't deny that the fourth line has been MUCH better since he's joined the team. They have so many ELCs for the next 2 years that they can afford to overpay for some players on short term deals.

Quoting: DavidBooth7
    That Ekholm trade is very realisticly possible, it could also happen with one of Anaheim's defencemen too

You probably mean Ryan Ellis, not Mattias Ekholm. Although I wouldn't mind either! They're both great defensemen. I just think that Nashville are so stacked on the back end, and could also use more scoring punch in the forward position, that they can survive by trading one of their top four, especially if they get back a defenseman that's competent enough.

Quoting: palhal
    I don't get this love for Boyle. There has to better 4th lines available. And do you really want to go into next season, hoping Nylander becomes an effective centre. IMO the Leafs need Bozak next year to ensure Nylander is an centre and if Nylander is OK, Bozak is the fourth liner and maybe tradable during the season.
    Pouilet has the reputation has one of the more uninspired players in the league. No thanks from the Leafs. Nashville trade could be good fit for both teams.

I can't think of any that'll be available via UFA who are better. With so many ELCs for the next 2 years, we can overpay for this guy on the short term. I think it's realistic from both sides, which is why I included it here. With so many cheap contracts I've included here like Ryan Ellis at 2.5m to be a top pair defenseman, it makes it obvious how we could afford to overpay for a fourth line center.

The Leafs are CLOSE to contending. They will most likely be even better next year, especially if they make similar changes as to the ones I've suggested here. The Leafs have to throw Nylander in EARLY and keep him there so that he can get his feet under him and show he's capable. He's done so at every other level so I have no doubt he'll figure it out at the NHL level next year.

But it's best to give him the opportunity early in the season in a sheltered role. You DON'T want Nylander learning the center position when the Leafs are bonafied Cup contenders.

Pouliot's chain has been yanked all year long by the Oilers' coach Todd McLellan. Before this year he's been a consistent 15 goal player. I think it's a risk, sure, but they can afford to bury Pouliot and replace him with Leipsic in a worst-case scenario if he's bad, but if he bounces back playing with Nylander and Kapanen, then you have a competent third line 15 goal veteran player for 2 years to help guide his young linemates. That's the motivation behind the move. And that I am also very high on Matthew Benning. I think he could potentially be a top-4 defenseman.

Edmonton could throw in Benning if it means getting rid of Pouliot. And we've all seen how broken players in Edmonton tend to bounce back elsewhere (Petry, Schultz, and to a lesser extent Marincin).

Quoting: Larkinisking
    Brendan Smith turned down a 3 year deal at around $3.75 million per to stay in Detroit? No way does he sign for 2 years at $3,25 million per. Try more like $4.25 million per for 3 years at least.

OK - I didn't know this. Considering the moves I could see the team making, paying Smith 1m and an extra year is doable. We'd still have the cap space.

Thanks for posting this info, though.

Quoting: rangersandislesfan

Haha which one? 4.5m for a 2nd pairing-defenseman is pretty standard.

And considering the cap space, the Leafs could also overpay for bottom pairing depth on a shorter term length deal.

Thanks for commenting.
    Mar. 14, 2017 at 8:45 p.m.
    Buds all day
    Considering Nashville almost has to trade a D, I'd say thats a bit of an overpayment, but not much.

That Edmonton deal is so unnecessary. Pouliot is useless and a waste of cap space, I wouldn't take him for free. Benning is having a nice season, but not sure hes worth more than Carrick. so is Bozak (and retained salary) worth a 2nd? Maybe, but I wouldn't do that trade
    May 19, 2017 at 12:19 a.m.
    Black Lives Matter
    Quoting: timetosaygoodbye
    Quoting: Stryder4

Looking at the specific moves I could see the Leafs making (especially with Ryan Ellis at 2.5m for the next 2 years) would make it VERY easy to overpay for Boyle. You can't deny that the fourth line has been MUCH better since he's joined the team. They have so many ELCs for the next 2 years that they can afford to overpay for some players on short term deals.

Quoting: DavidBooth7

You probably mean Ryan Ellis, not Mattias Ekholm. Although I wouldn't mind either! They're both great defensemen. I just think that Nashville are so stacked on the back end, and could also use more scoring punch in the forward position, that they can survive by trading one of their top four, especially if they get back a defenseman that's competent enough.

Quoting: palhal

I can't think of any that'll be available via UFA who are better. With so many ELCs for the next 2 years, we can overpay for this guy on the short term. I think it's realistic from both sides, which is why I included it here. With so many cheap contracts I've included here like Ryan Ellis at 2.5m to be a top pair defenseman, it makes it obvious how we could afford to overpay for a fourth line center.

The Leafs are CLOSE to contending. They will most likely be even better next year, especially if they make similar changes as to the ones I've suggested here. The Leafs have to throw Nylander in EARLY and keep him there so that he can get his feet under him and show he's capable. He's done so at every other level so I have no doubt he'll figure it out at the NHL level next year.

But it's best to give him the opportunity early in the season in a sheltered role. You DON'T want Nylander learning the center position when the Leafs are bonafied Cup contenders.

Pouliot's chain has been yanked all year long by the Oilers' coach Todd McLellan. Before this year he's been a consistent 15 goal player. I think it's a risk, sure, but they can afford to bury Pouliot and replace him with Leipsic in a worst-case scenario if he's bad, but if he bounces back playing with Nylander and Kapanen, then you have a competent third line 15 goal veteran player for 2 years to help guide his young linemates. That's the motivation behind the move. And that I am also very high on Matthew Benning. I think he could potentially be a top-4 defenseman.

Edmonton could throw in Benning if it means getting rid of Pouliot. And we've all seen how broken players in Edmonton tend to bounce back elsewhere (Petry, Schultz, and to a lesser extent Marincin).

Quoting: Larkinisking

OK - I didn't know this. Considering the moves I could see the team making, paying Smith 1m and an extra year is doable. We'd still have the cap space.

Thanks for posting this info, though.

Quoting: rangersandislesfan

Haha which one? 4.5m for a 2nd pairing-defenseman is pretty standard.

And considering the cap space, the Leafs could also overpay for bottom pairing depth on a shorter term length deal.

Thanks for commenting.

i know this is an old team but i was talking about Ellis ... but watching him in the playoffs i think he's likely more than a 2nd pairing d-man

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll