Forums/Armchair-GM

Raymond makes the team Need LHD

Created by: Caboose119z
Team: 2021-22 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: May 21, 2021
Published: May 21, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What options are you looking to in Free Agency for the left side of the defense? Staal earned a small deal for me. I like Martinez, Oleksiak, Merrill, Benn, and Murray as potential left side options.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$4,500,000
1$900,000
2$1,500,000
5$4,500,000
2$1,500,000
1$900,000
1$900,000
1$4,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$4,000,000
1$1,500,000
2$1,500,000
2$4,000,000
1$1,250,000
Trades
DET
SEA
  1. Lindström, Gustav [RFA Rights]
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the DET
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the DET
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the DET
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the COL
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$62,407,223$0$4,518,750$19,092,777

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
UFA - 3
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, C
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$2,950,000$2,950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$318,750$319K)
C
RFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
RFA - 3
$3,600,000$3,600,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
LD
RFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
RD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,375,000$1,375,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 21, 2021 at 2:05 p.m.
down bad
Dillon? for a 3rd-4th?
May 21, 2021 at 2:07 p.m.
Wingnut
Quoting: DogDayCaps2
Dillon? for a 3rd-4th?

I'd assume he isn't someone Yzerman would target due to his age and contract length.
DogDayCaps2 liked this.
May 21, 2021 at 2:40 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Edited May 21, 2021 at 2:56 p.m.
With this roster setup and another high-end talent joining the organization (anyone from Power to Wallstedt, very exciting) I think there are a few realities that need to be observed regarding the Red Wings:

- This still isn't a cup-calibre team, but it is on the upswing
- Goads of cap space make a trade more suitable given the poor UFA market
- Competing in the Atlantic at the moment is currently a nightmare: you're in a three-horse race with Montreal and Ottawa for the 5th seed, and the strength of the Metropolitan makes a wildcard berth unlikely

With those variables in consideration, I think names like Martinez are probably off of the table: despite having already won a cup, he's had every opportunity to do so again with Vegas and hasn't seen a staunch enough drop-off to his career to assume that he's willing to take himself out of that race.

Instead, I look to the Avalanche and Hurricanes: the dilemmas they're faced with regarding expansion present a rather unique situation for the Red Wings. Enter Ryan Graves and Brady Skjei. The Avalanche are apt to lose Graves due to having too many quality defenders to protect. Hell of a problem. The Hurricanes have a similar issue but there is an equal cap component to their situation. I imagine both clubs would rather get something of value for these players prior to Seattle becoming Club 32. Neither man was moved at the deadline despite this conundrum given that each had tremendous value to provide a possible cup run.

Both men are 26: young enough to be part of a long-term success plan in Detroit yet old enough to be leaders on an ever-younging roster. I look at the trove of 2nd round picks the Red Wings have this season and can't help but wonder what the interest level from Sakic and Waddell is regarding adding another prospect (to what appears to be an interminating carousel of talent) for pieces they'd otherwise lose for free.

Assuming the Red Wings' first three picks are used on Wallstedt, Pinelli, and a winger, is there enough organizational strength to make these two trades, look to add a prospect defenceman at around pick #10 in 2022, then supplementing the forwards with later picks and NCAA prospects? Given the Vrana acquisition and the ages of the remaining core, I think it might be a fit.
Caboose119z and aedoran liked this.
May 21, 2021 at 2:56 p.m.
Wingnut
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
With this roster setup and another high-end talent joining the organization (anyone from Power to Wallstedt, very exciting) I think there are a few realities that need to be observed regarding the Red Wings:

- This still isn't a cup-alibre team, but it is on the upswing
- Goads of cap space make a trade more suitable given the poor UFA market
- Competing in the Atlantic at the moment is currently a nightmare: you're in a three-horse race with Montreal and Ottawa for the 5th seed, and the strength of the Metropolitan makes a wildcard berth unlikely

With those variables in consideration, I think names like Martinez are probably off of the table: despite having already won a cup, he's had every opportunity to do so again with Vegas and hasn't seen a staunch enough drop-off to his career to assume that he's willing to take himself out of that race.

Instead, I look to the Avalanche and Hurricanes: the dilemmas they're faced with regarding expansion present a rather unique situation for the Red Wings. Enter Ryan Graves and Brady Skjei. The Avalanche are apt to lose Graves due to having too many quality defenders to protect. Hell of a problem. The Hurricanes have a similar issue but there is an equal cap component to their situation. I imagine both clubs would rather get something of value for these players prior to Seattle becoming Club 32. Neither man was moved at the deadline despite this conundrum given that each had tremendous value to provide a possible cup run.

Both men are 26: young enough to be part of a long-term success plan in Detroit yet old enough to be leaders on an ever-younging roster. I look at the trove of 2nd round picks the Red Wings have this season and can't help but wonder what the interest level from Sakic and Waddell is regarding adding another prospect (to what appears to be an interminating carousel of talent) for pieces they'd otherwise lose for free.

Assuming the Red Wings' first three picks are used on Wallstedt, Pinelli, and a winger, is there enough organizational strength to make these two trades, look to add a prospect defenceman at around pick #10 in 2022, then supplementing the forwards with later picks and NCAA prospects? Given the Vrana acquisition and the ages of the remaining core, I think it might be a fit.

Why can't more comments be like yours?

I think Skjei and Graves are excellent options. You just have to make sure that the next guy taken from CAR or COL are substantially lesser value than the one they're trading away. I think that's true in both cases (Morgan Geekie, JT Compher being roughly the next best options). However if COL must protect Johnson and needs to leave both Toews AND Graves exposed (or Girard depending on your value assessment) I think they just bite the bullet and lose the player.
aedoran liked this.
May 21, 2021 at 3:04 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Caboose119z
Why can't more comments be like yours?

I think Skjei and Graves are excellent options. You just have to make sure that the next guy taken from CAR or COL are substantially lesser value than the one they're trading away. I think that's true in both cases (Morgan Geekie, JT Compher being roughly the next best options). However if COL must protect Johnson and needs to leave both Toews AND Graves exposed (or Girard depending on your value assessment) I think they just bite the bullet and lose the player.

A matter of ego or an unwillingness to learn and see the bigger picture. I tend to live vicariously through these posts: if I could do university and such all over again, I'd have pursued sports management like a bat out of hell. I appreciate the kind words!

Rhetoric suggests that Johnson's willing to waive his NMC. I believe Avalanche fans have at least been operating under this assumption. More of a personal note but if I were the Kraken I'm avoiding bottom-of-the-roster pieces (of which Geekie is right now, but he may be more in a few years' time). In my eyes, Carolina's next 'biggest' exposed name would then be Gardiner, who's a name their fans have been looking to offload as well. Compher and Gardiner - with minimal assets if necessary - is still very attractive to me if I'm Seattle. These aren't bottom-of-the-roster pieces and the potential for mid-round sweeteners isn't discouraging either. A roster composed purely of second- and third-line forwards backed by nothing but top-4 defenders and competent goaltending is very likely good enough for 4th in next year's paper-thin Pacific. Capitalizing on that playoff revenue year one is going to be phenomenal for the Kraken.

I suspect both men - Graves and Skjei - to the Red Wings in exchange for draft capital works for all three parties involved. The optics of Sakic and Yzerman working together for the sake of their old clubs is still moderately baffling to me however.
Caboose119z and aedoran liked this.
May 21, 2021 at 3:39 p.m.
A matter of ego or an unwillingness to learn and see the bigger picture. I tend to live vicariously through these posts: if I could do university and such all over again, I'd have pursued sports management like a bat out of hell. I appreciate the kind words!

Rhetoric suggests that Johnson's willing to waive his NMC. I believe Avalanche fans have at least been operating under this assumption. More of a personal note but if I were the Kraken I'm avoiding bottom-of-the-roster pieces (of which Geekie is right now, but he may be more in a few years' time). In my eyes, Carolina's next 'biggest' exposed name would then be Gardiner, who's a name their fans have been looking to offload as well. Compher and Gardiner - with minimal assets if necessary - is still very attractive to me if I'm Seattle. These aren't bottom-of-the-roster pieces and the potential for mid-round sweeteners isn't discouraging either. A roster composed purely of second- and third-line forwards backed by nothing but top-4 defenders and competent goaltending is very likely good enough for 4th in next year's paper-thin Pacific. Capitalizing on that playoff revenue year one is going to be phenomenal for the Kraken.

I suspect both men - Graves and Skjei - to the Red Wings in exchange for draft capital works for all three parties involved. The optics of Sakic and Yzerman working together for the sake of their old clubs is still moderately baffling to me however.

Does Detroit resign Gagner or does he go back to Edmonton?
May 21, 2021 at 3:43 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: aedoran
Does Detroit resign Gagner or does he go back to Edmonton?

My heart wants him back in Edmonton but I haven't a clue where he fits on the roster. I think it's dependant on whether or not Edmonton signs, trades, or walks Marody. I can't see Holland wanting to move on from Kassian - it's the first Oilers contract he inked and Zack had an injury-riddled season - and Archibald is one hell of a multitool and oh-so pivotal to the Oilers' PK. There might be room for him on the roster, but I think Detroit can offer more.

Low-key I think there'll be interest from Toronto if money isn't a concern of his. I think the only way he returns to Edmonton - realistically - is in a management or scouting role, which I think is likely in a half-decade. His wife's from here and works in a very steady industry (nursing iirc).
aedoran liked this.
May 21, 2021 at 3:53 p.m.
I think Berggren makes it to Detroit before Raymond. I think Yzerman keeps Raymond in GR for a season, Holland isn't the only GM that likes to let prospects over ripen in the AHL. Look at Rasmussen Holland brought him to Detroit way too early. After spending a full season in GR and half of this season he is starting to look comfortable in the NHL.
May 21, 2021 at 4:09 p.m.
My heart wants him back in Edmonton but I haven't a clue where he fits on the roster. I think it's dependant on whether or not Edmonton signs, trades, or walks Marody. I can't see Holland wanting to move on from Kassian - it's the first Oilers contract he inked and Zack had an injury-riddled season - and Archibald is one hell of a multitool and oh-so pivotal to the Oilers' PK. There might be room for him on the roster, but I think Detroit can offer more.

Low-key I think there'll be interest from Toronto if money isn't a concern of his. I think the only way he returns to Edmonton - realistically - is in a management or scouting role, which I think is likely in a half-decade. His wife's from here and works in a very steady industry (nursing iirc).

I can see him back in Edmonton and most of the Edmonton fans on CapFriendly would like him to come back. After watching him play for a season I understand why. I'd be happy to see him back but if he does go back to Edmonton I understand.
BeterChiarelli liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll